New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Deadwood the next frontier.

A Brief history

The year was 2431, the world's population had reached critical mass. Two sides sought solutions to this problem. The World Market Directive (WMD) who treated national governments like puppets and playthings planned to unleash weaponized viruses into the low income populations worldwide, decreasing the population through democidal eradication of the poor. Meanwhile a humanitarian group made of private investors, scientists, and engineers, known as the New Earth Coalition, purchased and re-purposed several decommissioned subterranean missile silos in the American mid-west. There they secretly constructed six vessels known as Arks. Each Ark was equipped with terraforming technology that could enhance a planet's surface and atmosphere to support human life. They were loaded with cryochambers full of seeds, fertilized embryos of various animal species, and carefully selected crew of 12 doctors, scientists, farmers, and engineers. Each ark was piloted by an android who was programmed to not only pilot the shuttle, but to operate the terraforming tech and the cryochambers.
    Unfortunately, the New Earth Coalition was found out before they had a chance to select targets for each arc and set paths to these target planets. The Silos came under attack and the the arcs were launched to prevent them from being destroyed. The first shuttle was shot down, the second made it into orbit and it was presumed that it was on route to mars, but the third ship was struck by an EMP weapon as it was launched. The solid fuel rockets continued to propel it straight out of the atmosphere and on out of orbit and into space before they burned out and left it in drift. However the ships electronics were heavily damaged, the communications and navigation controls were destroyed. The Android pilot was shut down until its systems automatically reset nearly 100 years later. The Cryochambers were enclosed in metal casings that acted as Faraday cages and protected them from the blast.
    Once the Android pilot reached its reset point it powered back up, and though it had no memories of its personal past it maintained its programming and was able to resume some control of the derelict craft. The arc was landed on an unknown moon in an unknown galaxy, the moon had no signs of intelligent life, but it showed signs of simple plant and reptilian life forms. The terraforming began and soon the crew and cryocargo were reanimated. The terraforming had unanticipated effects on the native life by causing accelerated evolution and creating several species of primitive humanoid lifeforms. During the process of unpacking and growing the cargo, some of the crew stumbled upon a centuries old book of tales that had been stowed in the ark. The tales were of a simpler time and an easier life than any of them had ever known, and it was decided then, that these tales would be the basis of their new society.
    Six generations of humans have been born to the deadwood colony since the landing, initial resources are in need of replenishing. The native populations are present, but largely unknown to the colonials, who never venture out too far from deadwood, a town which is built from the lumber of trees killed in the arc landing.
    To all things there is an end. With every end, a new beginning.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Deadwood the next frontier.

"I suppose you're all wondering why I've gathered you here today." Says Sheriff Caleb Newhall, kicked back behind his desk, boots crossed over the left corner. "Well, the answer is all around you. We're running out of resources. Can't sustain the town here much longer. We're going to need another settlement, somewhere safe, with plentiful resources. That is where you come in. I'm putting my hopes in the chance that you folks can find us a new place to call home. You may be wondering why a Smith, a Doctor, a Purveyor of tonics and elixirs, a bounty hunter, and a classy lady like miss Lyna here would be the chosen for such a task. Well the fact of the matter is, quite simply, each of you has a bit more grit than the rest of the folks here. Whether that be from alien influence or just plain drive to survive, the fact remains that most folks wouldn't last a week outside of town. He drops his feet to the floor and sits up. "Past year or so we've had folks leaving out on there own, never to be heard from. That could mean that they've found a place to drive a stake in the ground, and are livin' life just fine; but between the injuns, wild animals, and the just plain unknown, I wouldn't bet on the odds of that bein' the case. Now I've arranged for you folks to travel with a native guide. She,... well I think it's a she anyhow, kinda hard to tell, oh uh... She should be along any minute now." He eases back in his chair once again, but doesn't prop his feet. "Y'all go ahead and talk amongst yerselves, an get to know each other better."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Standing in the back of the group is Myr, an Elfish Gunslinger. Few of you notice he's even there until the mayor mentions him. He's tall, slender, and decked out in full Old Western garb, his clothes are caked with dust from his recent excursions. A face wrap covers his face from his nose down and he keeps his hat tipped low. His dirty grey hair is braided and falls from his back to hang past his knees. Any perceptive characters who frequents the saloon would notice he is often sitting there in a corner drinking whiskey and reading a book.

Myr walks away from the back of the group to a nearby wall and leans against it. "I'm not useful to you outside of taking a man down." Folds his arms and looks for words under his hat. "Give me my rifle and a clear line of sight and I'll start picking them off before they've even seen me. Didn't have much hand-to-hand training, so our chances are better if you keep the enemy out of my face. I'm trained as a spotter, too. So if you need someone to survey the land i'm one of your better choices." He falls silent.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

A short male figure leans against the wall, He wears a long coat covers most of his body, from his back, through the coat, a pair of wing sprouts, Grey Feathers growing from them. His coat seems stained with age and weird substances. His face seems alien, a slightly over grown nose, small beady eyes, a wisps of a beard growing at the side of his jaw, but none on his chin. From inside his coat you can make out he wears a bandoleer, and a thick belt. The hat he wears has a low brim, but has a thick back across it to hold it on his head. He tips his hat to the group.

"Names Swizzlestick, Ill be your scientist"
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Sitting in a chair listening to the sheriff intently is an oddity: a blue-skinned humanoid with white eyes. He dresses in a ornate gray robe, and carries no visible weapons. He takes a few notes on parchment as Newhall speaks, and nods in acknowledgement of the two who speak to the group.

After they have finished, the blue-skinned man turns his chair so he is half-facing the others chosen, and half facing the sheriff. In a refined, educated, and slightly snotty voice, he declares, "I am Hanar, and many of you know me as the local healer. What you don't realize is that my true occupation is as an Arcane Researcher. I shall not trouble you with details on the subject, but decided to say I have significantly more to contribute to this outing than my small talent with healing magics. In exchange for the time I am taking away from my own pursuits for the sake of this town, I would like an agreement that any items of arcane significance we might find shall pass through my hands first, for study and analysis, before ownership of them is decided. Is there any objection to this?"

While the matter is decided, he turns to the sheriff and asks, "Outside of the obvious need for food and water, what other resources would you consider to be a high priority?"
    Festival of Heroes: Aurix Kornari- 6' Human with golden scales on his skin, blond hair, green Draconic eyes, carrying a halberd, meets people with a warm smile.
    Spoiler: If you speak Draconic
    Show
    Aurix Kornari means "Gold Heart"

DM of Twinborn

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

"Well, I'd say I'm putting a lot of trust in your collective judgement Doc. Food, water, and shelter are paramount, other qualities I'll leave to your discretion. " Sheriff Newhall says, letting out a heavy breath.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

On the backside of the room, leaning against the wall, keeping an eye on things out the window, and arms folded in front of her, a tall and distinguished woman stood listening to the others. She wore an almost floor length, deep burgundy bustle skirt with a split up to her mid-thigh that revealed black netted tights and mid-calf sensible boots when she moved, and a rich golden colored, under-bust corset over a black 3/4 sleeve shirt. A rich brown leather belt was tilted over her corset with strange markings inscribed on it, and there was a single visible hilt sticking out from near her left hip. Her most defining features were her voluminous red hair that hung in loose ringlets to her waist, half of it pulled back to keep it out of her face, and her piercing eyes that looked metallic they were so vibrant and grey. They complimented her sun-kissed skin well. She turned her gaze into the room as it fell silent, a small smirk playing on her lips.

"Classy Miss Lyna, here. Light on my feet, and never been afraid to fight up close and personal. Decent at finding things too, if I do say so myself. Nice to meet ya." she said with a slight country twang, and a slight nod of her head.

8. - Top - End - #8

BarbarianGuy

Standing amongst you is a very tall fellow with jet black skin and 2 downturned horns off of his forehead. He is very broad at the shoulders giving him a look of have done quite some time in hard labor. With his thumbs in his belt, he seems to be taking a posture of pondering. "Well, name's Ulfgar, muh friends call me Ulfy. Um from the the smithy jus' down duh street. If'n it needs hammerin', be it fixing or destroyin', ah kin do it. Jus' don't get on muh bad side an' we'll be ahight."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

"Well, I'm pleased to meet you all," Hanar says politely. "Sticks, Miss Lyna, Master Ulfgar...and what was your name, Mister bounty hunter?"
    Festival of Heroes: Aurix Kornari- 6' Human with golden scales on his skin, blond hair, green Draconic eyes, carrying a halberd, meets people with a warm smile.
    Show

DM of Twinborn

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

The door creaks open and a very interesting looking native walks through. She is very small stature, barely passing 5 feet with smooth bark brown skin. She has the look of a willow tree, very thin with long green vine hair that sweeps down her back, held back from her face by a simple blue headband. In her right hand her long slinder fingers hold a very sturdy quarterstaff, her left fingers brushing through the beautiful sleek black fur of the panther padding next to her. Her eyes are the startling green of trees in the height of spring, but they seem a tad nervous, as though she is not quite used to being in this kind of surrounding. Her voice is soft “Um hi? I’m Aven…I was asked to help a group? I was asked to be a guide.” Her eyes flit to the Sheriff, “Is this them?”

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Swizzlesticks looks over everyone as they speak and they come in. He has a look of recognition to Doc, But he seems to give a charitable hat tip to Lyna. He opens his mouth to speak, but someone comes into the room as he does, and he stops. His eyes go over the new guide. Interest seems to be the adjective to describe his demeanor.

He walks toward the guide, his little boots making much more noise then would be expected for someone the size of a child. He holds out his hand for a greeting.

"I'm Swizzlestick, Aven, Ill be your Scientist"
    Festival of Heroes:
    Umbear: 14 ft tall Ogre, Odd assortment of Clothing and Armor. Greenish/Grey Skin. Tusks.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Looks at Hanar "Myr."

13. - Top - End - #13

Lyna's eyes jump to the door as the newcomer appears along with her panther companion, and as Aven introduces herself in a quiet voice, Lyna's eyes scan over her. Her gaze pauses briefly on the hand moving across the animal's fur before they move to Swizzlestick's outstretched hand in greeting and then pass over him in curiosity, an eyebrow raised in surprise. Her expression quickly changes from curious to thoughtful as she continues to watch from her spot on the wall, the world outside the window seemingly forgotten. She takes a moment to really assess everyone standing in the room before she looks at Sheriff Newhall in anticipation, but she chooses to remain silent for now.
    Deadwood: Lyna is a six foot tall young elvish woman with sun-kissed skin, red hair that falls in loose ringlets to her waist, and vibrant, metallic looking grey eyes. She's usually found in a split side bustle skirt, loose fitting top, under-bust corset, and sensible boots. A rich brown leather belt with an alien inscription around it, and a single visible hilt complete her ensemble, despite that she rarely has only one weapon on her person. She speaks with a slight country twang.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Hanar takes a relaxed pose in his chair. "Yes...Aven, was it?...The sheriff was just explaining to us that we must find new resources for our little town of Deadwood. I am Hanar, arcane researcher and town doctor." He nods his head respectfully.
    Show

DM of Twinborn

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

When Swizzlestick approaches, the ears of the panther seem to twitch backwards, however in that moment Aven taps a finger on the panther's shoulder but doesn't say anything. At his friendly greeting her face breaks out in a happy smile, her green eyes shining. She does seem a bit confused when he offers her his hand and copies his hand extension exactly...she does not seem very familiar with handshakes.

I am very glad to meet you all, and I hope I am able to help you out. Oh and my companion's name is Addi. She nods to her panther

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Sheriff Newhall shifts with a bit of a start as the large cat enters his small office. He quickly calms however seeing it in such good behavior.

"Well good, now that we're all gettin' acquainted, there's a few things I'd ask of ya. You know, just to see how well you work together. I wouldn't want to send you off into the wild unknown I'll equipped.

First off, McCoy has lost a few head to some kind of predators. It's probably just Wolves, or Coyotes, but we're not certain. Why don't y'all have a look around and see if you can't put a stop to it. Then come on back here and we'll discuss some other matters."

He stands, walks to the door and props it open for all to exit.
    Last edited by STDM Grizzly Ad; 2015-01-12 at 11:09 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Hanar gets up, nods to the sheriff, and walks out the door. He waits for the group to gather in the street.
    Show

DM of Twinborn

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Swizzlesticks follows Doc out to the street, pulling his wings in a little so they dont hit the door. He begins thinking about the local area and creatures in the area.

(1d20+9)[28] Knowledge Nature
    (1d20+9)[22] Knowledge Local

He looks to Doc with a frown on his face.

"Who brings wolves and Coyotes with them to a new planet? That just seems dumb from an outsider perspective. But its well within the range of possibility that there is a native life form involved. "
    Last edited by Darius Vibrtrar; 2015-01-12 at 10:00 AM.
    Festival of Heroes:

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Hanar looks solemn as he replies, "We were trying to preserve as much of our original planet as we could. Who knows, even now, what survived there." Hanar gazes into the sky as he says, "I suppose they figured the wolves and coyotes deserved a chance to survive too, Sticks." He looks back down and says, "Let us reserve judgment until we have caught the trail. Who amongst us is skilled in such things?" Hanar looks to the group at large for an answer. "We should head over to McCoy's property and go from there."
    Show

DM of Twinborn

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

Aven nudges Addie the panther a little to get her moving and they both step outside. Almost immediately Aven looks more comfortable under the open sky as opposed to being under a roof. As she steps into the sunlight a small little bloom of a flower tucked into her hair opens its petals.

I do not know where this McCoy's property is, but I should be able to help with these wayward animals.

21. - Top - End - #21

BarbarianGuy

"Well, if we are headin' straight out, I have tuh go git a few things. Gimme 5 minutes." Ulfgar heads off toward his shop and just a few minutes later you see him riding back on an enormous mammoth. Also, lashed within hands reach of him is a large black axe. "Ok. Les' roll"

22. - Top - End - #22

Lyna pushes off the wall in the small office and lets her arms drop down to her sides as she walks out, looping her thumbs through d-rings attached to the bottom of her corset. She looks around at the others as she steps into the sun, briefly squinting at the change in light, before looking around at the surroundings to see if she spots anything out of the ordinary.

She turns and looks at Ulfgar with a raised eyebrow and poorly hidden smile as he rides back on his mammoth. Then she tries to stifle a chuckle as she looks at Hanar and speaks up.

"I'm decent at tracking and such, so I'll have a look around as we get close." she says with a nod. Then she looks at Ulfgar and smiles as she continues "Well, you certainly know how to make an entrance, don'tcha?"

(1d20+16)[29] perception check
    (1d20+22)[38] survival check
    Deadwood: Lyna is a six foot tall young elvish woman with sun-kissed skin, red hair that falls in loose ringlets to her waist, and vibrant, metallic looking grey eyes. She's usually found in a split side bustle skirt, loose fitting top, under-bust corset, and sensible boots. A rich brown leather belt with an alien inscription around it, and a single visible hilt complete her ensemble, despite that she rarely has only one weapon on her person. She speaks with a slight country twang.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

As Ulfy returns Swizzlesticks seems to be taken aback looking as the massive mammoth. He blinks a little before shacking his head.

"Well, there goes any stealth we could have hoped for. Ol McCoys should be in that direction, If you all want to do your ground listening techniques in that direction"

He points in the direction of the Farm in question, He remembers visiting there to check out soil samples, looking for magnesium, Sulfur, and irradiated materials.
    Festival of Heroes:

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Once everyone is ready to move out, you all proceed toward the ranch. Drawing near the northern fences Lyna notices that the cattle in this area are distressed and she can see movement in the high grasses. She quietly indicates the direction to Myr who climbs to the top of a nearby standstone and peers out through his rifle scope. Calling back down to you all he says "There's two of them, and these ain't no wolves. They look like big cats with wings, and.....messed up faces, almost human-like. They're about 400 ft out."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

When the huge mammoth appears, Hanar's jaw drops, then he bursts out laughing at Swizzlestick's wry comment on the subject.

Once at the ranch, Hanar hears Myr's description and thinks to himself, "What kind of creature could that be...?"

Knowledge Nature: (1d20+8)[24]
    Knowledge Arcane: (1d20+21)[38]

"Sounds like a native creature that's been transformed. People call it an 'Androsphinx'. It flies and is strongly magical. There might be more, depending on whether these two are part of a group or have broken off to form their own group. They've probably started attacking here because the domesticated wildlife are easier prey than they can get in the wild. If we are going to engage them, we should be prepared to deal with magic. I would be fascinated to study one of them and determine the extent to which they have been transformed..." Hanar trails off and begins muttering to himself. He casts a spell on himself in preparation for possible combat.
    Last edited by Andrew Markham; 2015-01-12 at 03:11 PM.
    Show

DM of Twinborn

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

As Hanar casts, the cattle seem to spook. The Androsphix are moving your direction. (they are now 375' away)

(1d20+2)[10] Aven and Addi
    (1d20+6)[8] Lyna
    (1d20+7)[27] Myr
    (1d20+4)[20] Ulfgar
    (1d20+8)[28] Swizzelstick
    (1d20+3)[6] Hanar
    (1d20)[17] male AS
    (1d20+2)[6] Fem AS

IO:
    Swizzlestick
    Myr
    Ulfgar
    Androsphinx Male
    Aven and Addi
    Lyna
    Hanar
    Androsphinx Female
    Last edited by STDM Grizzly Ad; 2015-01-12 at 04:02 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Swizzlesticks cracks his neck and smiles, he pulls forth a vial.

"Guess its time for..... science!"

He downs the vial, his gulps unnecessarily loud as the fluid flows through him. His veins on his neck and hands turn black as some fluid concoction effects his body. His body seems to jerk and shake for a moment as his muscles seem to tone and tighten. He then looks up and jumps upward as his wings spread, taking him to the air. As he moves he draws an awkward looking pistol from his Bandoleer and begins looking toward the moving grass.

(Take Mutagen, +4 Dex, -2 Wisdom, +2 Natural Armor, Move 20ft Up. )
    Last edited by Darius Vibrtrar; 2015-01-12 at 03:54 PM.
    Festival of Heroes:

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Myr undoes the flap on the largest pocket on his bandoleer and slides his hand into it. He withdrawals his rifle from the impossibly small pocket. "Give me a minute." He undoes the other large pocket flap with his other hand and withdraws his scope. He lays down and attaches the scope to his rifle. "Move on, i'll be fine here"

29. - Top - End - #29

BarbarianGuy

Ulfgar grabs his axe and slowly slides off his mammoth preparing to move forward.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The male androsphinx bursts out of the tall grass in a powerful charge. He chases after one of the smaller heifers and when he is within range, he lashes out with a huge paw full of razor sharp claws.

90' movement north, now 285' south of the party.
    (1d20+8)[28] to hit
    (2d4+24)[31] possible dmg

The beast's claw slashes deeply into the cows neck spilling blood and stealing breath all at once. The heifer crumples to the ground, her neck makes an audible pop even at this distance as her rear end flies over her front and crashes to the ground in a cloud of dust. The cow lies there dead and the predator wastes no time digging in.

(Andro male scores a critical hit and deals a 60point fatal blow. He is suffering an AC penalty for one round.)
    Last edited by STDM Grizzly Ad; 2015-01-12 at 08:02 PM.