New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Spell levels vs Caster levels

Hi there! I was recently introduced to the Master Spellthief/Practiced Spellcaster stacking trick. It occurs to me, though, that although your caster level will be 4 above your HD... your spell levels will be 4 levels behind. Is this sacrifice ever worth it? Are there really any spells that benefit from higher caster levels so much that they make higher level spells less relevant? Keep in mind that this takes until 7th level to come online fully, leaving you with 2nd level spells at CL 11....

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Spell levels vs Caster levels

Caster level influence in duration and range of spells, with high level u can make flaming spheres last longer and travel longer too for an example.

With high caster level, you can dispel magics and overcome magic resistance more easily.
    Concentration checks
    Number of targets

Spells level indicates how powerfull a spell is
    Caster level indicates how powerfull the caster is

Is it worth?

Depends on the player style....

Casters have way more level 5- spells than 6+ spells, so u are using 5- more often, how about make them stronger?
    Last edited by Raul Lećo; 2015-01-09 at 12:39 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Very true, but this method also indirectly limits the number of spells (of each level) you have access to. So that argument does not entirely fit the case.
    Effectively, consider being a 3rd level wizard in everything but having an effective Caster Level of 11.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Control Winds and Holy Word are two classic examples of spells where caster level is a huge deal.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Venomfire as well though it is harder to boost divine casters then it is arcane.

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Hamste View Post
    Venomfire as well though it is harder to boost divine casters then it is arcane.
    Not really, I've spent the past week trying to boost my Wizard's Arcane Caster Level and found it much easier to boost a Cleric's using Ankh of Ascension and Bead of Karma to get +8 Caster Level, also Consumptive Field is great too.

For Wizards, you're looking at +1 and +2 boosts at best and the +2 boosts are usually just for the one Spell.

Before 10th level I know how to get +15 Caster Level for Clerics, if a certain something is allowed to stack. Which I hope it is for Wizards, to justify all the early hoop jumping I'm forcing myself through.