New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Mummy's Mask (OOC)

Did I write DC17? I must have been under Verhsab's bad influence. Make that DC14.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Barbarian in the Playground

Will save for bane
    (1d20+2)[8]
    Carrion Crown: Dice | IC-2 | Doc
    Ruins of Azlant: OOC | IC | Doc
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynfrid View Post
    Did I write DC17? I must have been under Verhsab's bad influence. Make that DC14.
    UUUUUGH

What even.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

G- Lehasti made her save anyway, but I just wanted to point out that I am *not* tracking the +2 vs Paralysis in the general category of Fortitude saves, but it is reflected in her current conditions. I would rather remember and apply it selectively than to accidentally give myself +2 on saves for which the alchemical bonus doesn't apply.
    Also- Lehasti made her save vs. the channel? Is that for half damage? (answering myself: I didn't see that all 3 ghoul attacks were against Lehasti, for a total of 10 damage including the 2 from the channel. Never mind!)
    Lehasti Gesmeha and Azkin for Mummy's Mask
    Morevek for Wrath of the Righteous
    Janstina Silentall for Age of Worms

5. - Top - End - #305
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Cans has shield of faith pl0x?

It occurs to me that maybe you should have thrown that right as the fight was starting, since its a 2 minute duration at level 2? And Lehasti will probably be the preferred target, generally speaking, as she's going to be wading in and artificially lowering her AC with Cleave? Just throwing it out there.

6. - Top - End - #306

Quote Originally Posted by JWallyR View Post
    G- Lehasti made her save anyway, but I just wanted to point out that I am *not* tracking the +2 vs Paralysis in the general category of Fortitude saves, but it is reflected in her current conditions. I would rather remember and apply it selectively than to accidentally give myself +2 on saves for which the alchemical bonus doesn't apply.
    Yes, I forgot the +2.

Also- Lehasti made her save vs. the channel? Is that for half damage? (answering myself: I didn't see that all 3 ghoul attacks were against Lehasti, for a total of 10 damage including the 2 from the channel. Never mind!)
    Correct.

7. - Top - End - #307

Ghouls save vs Color Spray

U10 (1d20+5)[14]
    U12 (1d20+5)[8]

Both failed... CleverDragon, I'll assume you redirect your bomb towards U6.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2015-05-10 at 07:26 PM.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Diplomacy check to improve attitudes of the Sand Scorpions: (1d20+8)[19]
    Please apply circumstantial bonuses as applicable. :D

9. - Top - End - #309

Diplomacy check to improve attitudes of the Sand Scorpions: [roll0]
    Please apply circumstantial bonuses as applicable. :D
    Deeds speak louder than words, so you got a great deal of respect from them right now.

10. - Top - End - #310

Gentlemen - this is a request for your feedback.

We've been playing together for nearly 4 months now, and we have gone through the first of 3 parts in installment #1 (out of 6) in the campaign. We have seen how our game plays out in the context of underground exploration, traps, small fights, fairly involved RP elements, and finally a large-scale fight.

So far, I have been enjoying this immensely, and I would like to thank you all for this. Now, before we move on to the next scenario arc, I'd like to check if it's also the case on your side, and if you believe there are things that can be improved:

- Pace of play: Too slow / too fast / just right?
    - Pace of character leveling: Too slow / too fast / just right?
    - Combat challenges: Too easy / too tough / just right?
    - Combat and rules management: Too lightweight / too detailed / just right?
    - Roleplaying: Entertaining / boring / annoying / meh?
    - Anything that you'd like to have more of?
    - Anything that you'd like to have less of?
    - Any general remarks / improvement suggestions?

Thanks!

11. - Top - End - #311

Long story short, I have no complaints so far. I have enjoyed it so far. I like the descriptions you use: enough to be descriptive but not overly flowery and excessive. The combats are good and tactical without delving too much into minutiae.

I'd just be cautious about introducing too many of those "custom" magic items like the medallion. Occasionally is fine as a boost to the challenge, but not as a matter of general procedure, if that makes sense?
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

12. - Top - End - #312

NecromancerGuy

- Pace of play: Too slow / too fast / just right?
    I very rarely have to wait inappropriately for action from the DM or PC interaction. You are doing great. If there is anything I would suggest it is to try and determine a standing arrangement of when to DM-PC Calathon due to Marty's frequent travel. As that is a complicated conversation, I will respectfully leave that to you both.

- Pace of character leveling: Too slow / too fast / just right?
    Leveling is a very desirable thing, but also incredibly tough to judge. As long as the challenges remain appropriate and we gain options regardless of the pace of experience-gain/leveling, I am fine with any speed of progression.

- Combat challenges: Too easy / too tough / just right?
    Any encounter where we all end in single digits and out of resources is a great fight. Too many in a row can be draining emotionally, though. So far I would say the balance has been well mixed. Give us some fights to feel like we are becoming more powerful and then knock us on our butts and I will be happy.

- Combat and rules management: Too lightweight / too detailed / just right?
    If you look at the games I DM you will see that I include basically all my rolls behind a mechanics spoiler but not a "DM Screen" spoiler. I am comfortable with this most of the time - most DMs are not.

Your presentation of rules and rulings have been consistent, easily understood, and generally supportive of creative use of PC resources. The ruling on Charm Person (made recently) could go either way, and you were open and willing to discuss it extensively. I think we are in a good place for the most part, even when there are rulings I might prefer to go differently. (When I can dislike a ruling but like the general approach to rulings, I think it is a balanced approach and am pleased to play in such an environment.)

- Roleplaying: Entertaining / boring / annoying / meh?
    If I have any criticism, it is to encourage/push more NPC discomfort with Vershab's social-awkwardness. As a PC he won't enjoy it - as a player I will. If it becomes too much, I will let you know.

- Anything that you'd like to have more of?
    See above. Also, more undead.

- Anything that you'd like to have less of?
    Delays with making money. I find the balance of realism (it takes time to sell stuff) vs. fun ("We got loot! Let's get better gear!") to be tough. There was a real Monty Haul in that first dungeon, though, so I cannot blame you.

- Any general remarks / improvement suggestions?
    Is it possible to link any images of NPCs from the .pdfs? I am a very visual person and really appreciate (and admire) your combat maps. Having more visuals always helps me to envision the setting and circumstances, which excites me as a player.

Also, if there are resources out there to show how to make the combat maps you use (youtube video?), please link it. I would like to apply such tools to the games I DM...

13. - Top - End - #313
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

No complaints here. I was starting to worry about this last encounter before John's timely crit :P but by and large I'm having a great time.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

I realize that this will be a wholly unhelpful response, but I'm really enjoying it!

My only "complaint" is that the character with the best opportunity to thematically take part in leadership is also the absolute worst mechanically to actually benefit from it. -_-

That's mostly my fault, though.

15. - Top - End - #315

Thanks for the kind words, guys. Looks like I don't need to take any major corrective steps. Good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverDragon View Post
    I'd just be cautious about introducing too many of those "custom" magic items like the medallion. Occasionally is fine as a boost to the challenge, but not as a matter of general procedure, if that makes sense?
    You're right. Like I said in the hangout, this was a step of last resort. The ghoul had only 2 choices: The reasonable one was to just go away under the cover of the smoke - very boring. Or, attack in a bout of mad anger - hopeless, and suicidal. So, in the interest of ending the fight with a good bang, I just improvised a motive to make her bold enough to come out in the open anyway. I don't plan of doing that kind of thing unless I'm stumped.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    I very rarely have to wait inappropriately for action from the DM or PC interaction. You are doing great. If there is anything I would suggest it is to try and determine a standing arrangement of when to DM-PC Calathon due to Marty's frequent travel. As that is a complicated conversation, I will respectfully leave that to you both.
    Good point. CleverDragon, what's your take on that?

Your presentation of rules and rulings have been consistent, easily understood, and generally supportive of creative use of PC resources. The ruling on Charm Person (made recently) could go either way, and you were open and willing to discuss it extensively. I think we are in a good place for the most part, even when there are rulings I might prefer to go differently. (When I can dislike a ruling but like the general approach to rulings, I think it is a balanced approach and am pleased to play in such an environment.)
    Thanks. I appreciate the open dialog too.

If I have any criticism, it is to encourage/push more NPC discomfort with Vershab's social-awkwardness. As a PC he won't enjoy it - as a player I will. If it becomes too much, I will let you know.
    Right, I'll try to remember that.

Delays with making money. I find the balance of realism (it takes time to sell stuff) vs. fun ("We got loot! Let's get better gear!") to be tough. There was a real Monty Haul in that first dungeon, though, so I cannot blame you.
    Hey, you could have sold everything to Minnothep at 50% right away (except the magic gear, and that would have found a buyer in the market immediately). If you're waiting, it's because you are hoping to make more that the regular 50%.

Is it possible to link any images of NPCs from the .pdfs? I am a very visual person and really appreciate (and admire) your combat maps. Having more visuals always helps me to envision the setting and circumstances, which excites me as a player.
    Unfortunately, the pdf doesn't contain very many. I have given you all the NPC faces available so far. Now, I could add some more magic items and a couple of monsters.

Also, if there are resources out there to show how to make the combat maps you use (youtube video?), please link it. I would like to apply such tools to the games I DM...
    Just run-of-the-mill Powerpoint. Give me an email address and I'll send you some examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmerbink View Post
    My only "complaint" is that the character with the best opportunity to thematically take part in leadership is also the absolute worst mechanically to actually benefit from it. -_-

That's mostly my fault, though.
    Well, I'm afraid it's not a bug, it's a feature of the character.

16. - Top - End - #316

OK, if ny count is right, Grekka took 4 hits from ghouls, and Lehasti 2. So, Fort saves:

Grekka (1d20+7)[14]
    Grekka (1d20+7)[12]
    Grekka (1d20+7)[13]
    Grekka (1d20+7)[13]

Lehasti (1d20+8)[19]
    Lehasti (1d20+8)[18]

17. - Top - End - #317

NecromancerGuy

Regarding the homebrew item, why not just change it (or allow it to be changed via redemption) into a Phylactery of Negative/Positive channeling? If that is too much (valuable) loot, it is mitigated somewhat by the fact that it will be Level 4 before Lehasti could use it and/or it could be worked into a side-quest to redeem it as suggested by Marty in the hangout.

18. - Top - End - #318

Regarding the homebrew item, why not just change it (or allow it to be changed via redemption) into a Phylactery of Negative/Positive channeling? If that is too much (valuable) loot, it is mitigated somewhat by the fact that it will be Level 4 before Lehasti could use it and/or it could be worked into a side-quest to redeem it as suggested by Marty in the hangout.
    The reason I had to go for a custom item is that I didn't find anything standard that would have boosted the ghoul cleric's morale, without also making her overwhelming. If she had owned such a phylactery, she would have handily won the fight. On top of that, such an object is seriously overpowered for a level 2 group.

Finally, the whole ghoul thing was a sidequest in the first place. Unless you guys develop a huge interest in the sacred symbols of evil gods, I recommend we move on. Not every encounter necessarily has to come with usable loot.

On a separate note: We have a 3 day week-end here in Canada, and I'll be traveling. Expect a reduced rate of posting.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Given that we were sort of on a side quest in the first place, I am happy to let the unholy symbol's disposal take place offscreen. I will plan to have Lehasti take it to the temple of Sarenrae where the more experienced clergy can ritually cleanse and destroy it or whatever.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

For the sake of clarification, I'm good to move on.

21. - Top - End - #321

Sense Motive (1d20+2)[22]

22. - Top - End - #322

Bug's Fort save (1d20+9)[11]

23. - Top - End - #323

To know about the bug and any relevant info (poison, weaknesses, etc):

Calathon Knowledge (nature): (1d20+8)[12]
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

24. - Top - End - #324

I forgot about the 2nd round of poisoning for Grekka.
    DC17 (1d20+7)[23] Dex damage (1d4)[3]

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

I forgot about the 2nd round of poisoning for Grekka.
    DC17 [roll0] Dex damage [roll1]
    1: yikes.
    2: suck it.
    3: ????
    4: profit.

26. - Top - End - #326

Init

Calathon (1d20+4)[8]
    Vershab (1d20+3)[8]
    Grekka (1d20+5)[20]
    Lehasti (1d20+1)[2]
    Skeletons (1d20+6)[11]

Duh, I forgot Grekka and Lehasti had rolled already. As it turns out, the result is unchanged.
    Last edited by Gwynfrid; 2015-06-02 at 10:01 PM.

27. - Top - End - #327

(1d20+2)[15]
    (1d20+3)[20]
    (1d20+7)[18]
    (1d20+5)[14]

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

Rolling for 2nd level hp

(1d4+4)[5]
    Spoiler: Active Characters
    Show

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

Monk HP this time

(1d4+4)[6]
    Show

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

Rognar Twighlightbringer

Spoiler: Background
    Show
    Rognar Twilightbringer was originally born and raised in Five King’s Mountain. As the second son of a minor noble family, he had no right to the family inheritance, and was forced to forge his own destiny.

Enrolling in the armed forces, he served successfully as a scout on many missions into the dark places within the mountains. After several successful missions into the caves, he returned to find a Cleric of Pharasma at his tent.

The cleric wanted to recruit him specifically to lead expeditions into crypts that could possibly be filled with old and power undead. With a promise of glory and a not so small paycheck, Rognar agreed.

Taken to a temple training grounds in the Tusk Mountains, Rognar was assigned to a group to be known as “The Grey.” They consisted of Samuel, a human warrior, Lo’fiera, an elven wizard, and Spricketts, a gnomish cleric of Pharasma. Together they trained in the harsh conditions of the mountains to prepare for their future missions.

Once they were ready, their first assignment was to the city of Wati, where they were to join in the lottery and explore the Necropolis. Their job was to keep an eye on the other adventurers, and to deal with any undead that may be unveiled during the explorations.

It was during their first tomb dive that Rognar got separated from his companions. He was scouting ahead, and when he returned back to report, he could not find a trace of them. Going as far as he dared, he could not find them. Realizing he was vulnerable alone, Rognar set out to join another adventuring group in the hopes that through helping them explore the Necropolis, he will find some trace of his team.
    Last edited by Untarr; 2015-06-04 at 02:51 PM.
    Show