New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: General Shadowrun Questions

Due to having evidently too much free time, I'm trying to convert the old joke about the CIA, the FBI, the LAPD and the rabbit* for Shadowrun. So far I've got Knight Errant for the FBI and Lone Star for the LAPD, but I'm having a little trouble thinking of something to fill the CIA slot - I suppose GOD or the TT Peace Force could fit the bill, but they just don't feel right. Can anyone think of any Shadowrun security groups that would fit the bill? (i.e. overly methodical and procedural, lacking imagination, and preferably operating in North America)

Spoiler: *
    Show
    The LAPD, The FBI, and the CIA are all trying to prove that they are the best at apprehending criminals. The President decides to give them a test. He releases a rabbit into a forest and each of them has to catch it.

The CIA goes in. They place animal informants throughout the forest. They question all plant and mineral witnesses. After three months of extensive investigations they conclude that rabbits do not exist.

The FBI goes in. After two weeks with no leads they burn the forest, killing everything in it, including the rabbit, and they make no apologies. The rabbit had it coming.

The LAPD goes in. They come out two hours later with a badly beaten bear. The bear is yelling: "Okay! Okay! I'm a rabbit! I'm a rabbit!'
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Frost
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

2. - Top - End - #722

Can't even tell the joke right!

Spoiler
    Show
    My current characters:

3. - Top - End - #723

Quote Originally Posted by Longes View Post
    Can't even tell the joke right!

Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, I've seen about a dozen different variations for a dozen different countries and groups (the first one I saw involved the SAS, the Royal Welsh Fusiliers, and the Black and Tans), but I'm fairly certain CIA/FBI/LAPD is the original flavour.
    `This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!`

4. - Top - End - #724
    Ettin in the Playground

Does the UCSA even have an intelligence service anymore? You'd think they would, but I don't remember hearing about one.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

5. - Top - End - #725

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Does the UCSA even have an intelligence service anymore? You'd think they would, but I don't remember hearing about one.
    The UCAS has the US alphabet soup agencies. Haven't been able to find any information on what happened to Canadian law enforcement (which isn't surprising, given how half-arsed the union between them was and how the writers mostly seem to forget how it's not just the cyberpunk US)

6. - Top - End - #726
    Titan in the Playground

The heck, how is being SINless not a negative quality (in 5e)? That makes literally no sense.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

7. - Top - End - #727
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Because, since the assumption is you are all playing criminals, being tracable as an actual legal person that does not dissolve under too close a scrutiny (As Fake SINs would be, which everyone should have anyways. Playing without any SIN, real or fake, would be a catastrophic idea, indeed.) has quite some drawbacks, such as famility members being possible to look up and threaten, get info out of them, have actual legitimate biometric data of you in state/corp hands, a registered adress...
    Quite some drawbacks for a professional criminal, should anything ever go south. And since most places require a SIN, but don't have the resources to check SINs that would identify the higher level fakes, you can get away rather comfortably without one. Not really that much of a disadvantage to not have that liability lying around, and being required to use an ever-expanding array of fakes. As any professional criminal should probably do, anyways.

Now as to where the insane amounts of people without SIN supposedly come from is another question. But then again, "SINner" is one of the most commonly selected negative qualities in my groups, and that is not necessarily a problem in the rules. Shadowrunners are not the average Joe, they are special, and especially in that regard quite often.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I've been looking in the books for 5th and am having trouble finding it. Does anyone know where the rules for used vehicles are if they do exist?

9. - Top - End - #729
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Arcacius View Post
    I've been looking in the books for 5th and am having trouble finding it. Does anyone know where the rules for used vehicles are if they do exist?
    They'd probably be in Rigger 5.0 if they existed. But I'm pretty sure they don't.

10. - Top - End - #730
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

At least in the German version, I can't find anything (though I might be blind).
    What exactly do you want? Prices for used, Statmods? Maybe you could homebrew something up taking the rules for used Cyberware...

11. - Top - End - #731
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Floret View Post
    At least in the German version, I can't find anything (though I might be blind).
    What exactly do you want? Prices for used, Statmods? Maybe you could homebrew something up taking the rules for used Cyberware...
    I was kind of looking for both, but if they dont have rules they dont have them.

Thanks for the help.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Halfling in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

silly 4th edition question: any one happen to know if there are rules for designing new meta types or creatures ? i want to stat up the Gill-men (Creature from the Black Lagoon) for a monster hunting thing i'm runing using 4E but i'm....not quite sure if i even can.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Orc in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

While I don't remember any rules specifically for designing new metatypes, there are rules for creating mutated and toxic animals in Running Wild. So that might cover "creatures".
    For metatypes there is always the SURGE-rules, and all metavariants use SURGE qualities to some extent for modelling their respective properties - so taking some of those might work, even if you are not technically creating a SURGEling. Those are in the Runner's Companion.
    (Both excellent books to have around imho, esp. for GMs)
    Last edited by Floret; 2016-11-15 at 03:35 PM.

14. - Top - End - #734

I'm not sure what kind of rules you need. Just pick whatever attributes, qualities, skills and critter powers you want them to have. They aren't PCs, they don't need a BP breakdown. Look at your players' dicepools, decide based on that how tough you want the mermen to be.
    My current characters: