Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: TW: Spire City II IC

Atelier Lyrica
    Loyalty: 6

Spoiler: To the Guild
    Show
    Oh, that's mighty generous alright! Thank you so, so much! I promise I will make good use of them!

With love,
    Lyrica Springsong

Spoiler: To House of Knowledge
    Show
    Got it! I'll get on it as soon as I can!

With love,
    Lyrica Springsong

Spoiler: To the Divine Eye
    Show
    Oh, I see! I was under the impression it was plenty tough, though? I figured it would serve as the material for the joints, linking together the main Glasteel armor plates at least. My thinking was that this would make the armor light and flexible, yet offer just as much protection if not more. Was I mistaken?

With love,
    Lyrica Springsong

Spoiler: Internal (GM)
    Show
    Okay, for the design of House of Knowledge's special armor. My first thought is something like Zokutou Yoroi; focusing on absolute defense, with a design that allows the armor to dissipate heavy impacts into the ground, while packed with enough razor-sharp edges that the wearer can enter combat without any other weapon if he so wished.

As for enchantments, I would use Runes on it... but that would quite defeat the purpose of borrowing Runes from the House of Knowledge in the first place. Would Lyrica personally working on it cover for the 'enchantment' part? I'm thinking it involves her using alchemy to imbue the armor with resistances against physical and magical attacks. Maybe some kind of adaptive ability, that allows the armor to become more resistant to any type of attack it has sustained before, on an increasing basis. How would that work?
    Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #452
    Ogre in the Playground

Titan Shipping

Spoiler: internal
    Show

how much glassteel, garden golems, and equipment was ordered by people on the last trip?

3. - Top - End - #453
    Troll in the Playground

Divine Eye to Atelier Lyrica
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cloud stuff is strong and light, but it is still cloth at heart. It can be cut and pierced. And perhaps most importantly for any armor going to be used in a combat situation it can burn.

(OOC: Think really good silk. It does have it's uses in armor as padding and deflecting light weapons, but don't expect to replace actual metal joints with it.)

To Atelier Lyrica
    Spoiler
    Show
    There isn't any way to make a defense that becomes stronger against things that have attacked it before for two reasons. First there are no types of attacks in this system. Damage is damage no matter what is dealing it. Second anything that goes into defense does not go into improvements. It's an either/or situation. So if the armor is actually being used it can't make itself better at the same time.

You could get around this by creating another trait, which only serves to add more and more defense, but that is getting a bit complicated.

Also favors can be repaid by whatever you deem is worth the repayment be that Lyrica, runes, or just plain old industry. But if the end result is not more or less equivalent to the original favor, then the NPC will think less of you and be much less likely to offer good deals in the future. It doesn't have to be exact, but the closer it is the better. If it's higher then you'll actually gain influence instead.

You could even waive the favor or offer some extremely low repayment, but then it would actually affect your reputation as the NPC spreads the word that you aren't to be trusted.

To Titan Shipping
    Spoiler
    Show
    About 10 of each. They were more exploratory bids from interested merchants than major demand for the products.
    Last edited by ArcaneStomper; 2015-09-08 at 10:55 PM.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The Dustmire Dirtlings [12]:

Spoiler: To the Dawn Syndicate(PM)
    Show
    Grimble frowns, whiffing something in the air. He speaks, his voice like gravel.

“Negotiations ain’t going as smoothly as we’d hoped, it seems. Do you have a secure line [PM conversation] left? If you don’t mind relayin’ a message fer us… as not to draw any attention.”

Spoiler: To the Kaxxix Killsquad(PM)
    Show
    “Yes, you are the Kaxxix, mighty and powerful,” the Dirtling says with some amusement. He lifts a finger to speak, but brings it to his mouth in hesitation. As though debating whether it is wise or not to say something. He cautiously lifts his finger, and speaks as delicately as he can anyway.

“And yet you sit here, brooding in this hole and dreaming of power while the Undercity goes on just the same.

“Rumors have it that you plan to ally with the Redinfel. That is fine- a tactful move, if any. But might I ask you, if you are willing to seek the aid of others and share your dominion: why not share it with the Dawn Syndicate as well?

“The Pond you’re looking to conquer is a tough one, I’ll give it that,”
    the Dirtling orders himself another glass. “And when two big fish stop fighting for control over it, it’s a lot easier to conquer the pond with the Two Biggest Fish.”

The dwarf loosens his fist and gives a sudden smile, "Besides you couldn't afford to hire all our forces anyway."
    Try me.” he speaks significantly less delicately. “You might take this a little more seriously when you realize just how many connections I’m willing to pull for this. What is the maximum amount of [Agents] you have to offer.”

Spoiler: To Titan Shipping
    Show
    Hello hello! Don’t think we’ve forgotten about you and generous patronage! You can expect to see the submarine completed this turn.

Safest of travels![/spoler]
    -Cecil Earthencraft

((Thank you for your patience, everyone!))
    Last edited by Devilfish; 2015-09-09 at 07:08 PM.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Troll in the Playground

Kaxxix Clan to the Dustmire Dirtling [PM]
    Spoiler
    Show
    The dwarf bangs his fist on the table. "A hole! You insult our clan halls dirtling. We are not forced to live here. We live here because we are dwarves and to dig in the deep is our heritage. Do you even realize what we have done here. The foundries we have built. The outcasts we raised from poverty and taken into our clans. The neighborhoods we have renovated. No you hear Under City, and immediately imagine us as poor and brutish."

"We are considering allying with the Reddinfel because we are forced to. Do you know why! Because the Dawn Syndicate has made it clear they intend to cleanse the entire Under City. We can't trust them, and now I think we can't trust you."

"You want our price, then here it is. [120 Wealth] for [30 Agents] and we won't attack anyone in the Under City."

6. - Top - End - #456

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler: To the Kaxxix (PM)
    Show
    "Hole--" The Dirtling suddenly bursts into laughter. "This Tavern! Bar! Whatehaveyou! Ha-Ha! I mean no offense- though that ferocity, that temper! that's the sort of thing I'd be looking for.

"I am no insidious force here to deceive you. Know that you are forced towards nothing in the undercity; the rest are your perceptions.

"Alas,"
    the dirtling pays his tab and tips well, "I know when my welcome has come and gone. Your thoughts are your own, and I wil leave you to them."

7. - Top - End - #457
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dawn Syndicate
    Loyalty: 19.5

Dustmire Dirtlings (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Unfortunately, I am unable to. I need to meet to discuss some matters with a few groups.

How goes your discussion with the Kaxxix? And what exactly are your plans for the short term?"

Fleshwarpers Guild (19.5)
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll be coming by to discuss the details of my request.

Fleshwarper's Guild (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    "So here's my proposal. My mage team [35.5 Knowledge] will serve as assistants to yourselves both at [Midturn] and [End of Turn], and I will put [123 Wealth] to this project. And you will build me a Reaper. Something that can hunt down and kill anything from an eldritch horror like the Silence to the Titan itself. Or at least the best you can do given the resources provided. My hope is to have a tool to help protect the Spire from the more complicated threats."

Reddinfel (19.5)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hadran, you and I have fought alongside one another before. We helped remove the Deadmen from the running for the throne, and what did we gain from it? Nothing. We were discarded by our former allies after our usefulness was over. Despite this, I am trying to help rebuild the Spire. The Undercity must be unified under a trusted ally, and you are one of the few I can call that. Don't repeat our past mistakes, my friend.

I can assist you and the Kaxxix in taking control. The Syndicate has no desire to run things ourselves, we simply pave the way for a more fitting candidate. It's up to you.

Kaxxix (19.5)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Undercity needs to be unified under a single power. These endless wars are a waste. The Spire's focus should turn outward, and claim our right as the regional hegemon of the World Below. I need someone I can trust in command. You are the current forerunner, as you move your house into the nobility. Don't let Lyrica manipulate you for her benefit.

I can help deliver the Undercity to you and the Reddinfel. The Syndicate has no desire to run things ourselves, we simply pave the way for a more fitting candidate. It's up to you.

-------------------------------

The Lost Ones were a start. Not too important in the grand scheme of things, but a demonstration to the rest of the Spire that the Undercity CAN change, if those that could do so bothered to try. That the city itself was sculptable, by those willing to carve the clay. But there was always a throne to take, money to extort, a rival to remove... The Upper City was stuck in gridlock as well, too set in tradition and history to adapt. Loboniva was an upset, a minor noble from a minor house taking the throne. This consolidation he reigned over was unprecedented, but would it last past the emperor? Once the upstart newcomers of the city lost their founders, or became pillars of politics as well, would stagnation set in once more? Or would there be a shift, a change in paradigm? Only time could tell. But to not try was anathema to the Syndicate, the newborn spawn of an ancient affiliation trying to return to prominence from the obscurity set in by the isolation of the City of Resplendent Towers from the World Below.

Midturn
    Spoiler: GM
    Show
    Modifying based on Dirtling's plans. I forgot they were doing an attack.

44 Agents (2 each) identify the value of the VIP and Agents of the following factions in order:
    -Deadmen
    -Silence
    -Kaxxix Clan
    -Reddinfel
    -Wasteland Hunters
    -Black Council
    -Fleshwarper's Guild

-Alabaster Society
    -Pit Fighter's Association
    -Atheist League
    -Coalition
    -League of Fine Tea Makers
    -Natural Order

-Argent
    -House of Dravor
    -House Hadren
    -House Florenn
    -House Dres
    -House Forestier
    -Iron Knights
    -House of Knowledge
    -SEU/Stone Guard (I don't know if the Stone Guard are just the Agents of the Union, or a distinct faction so whichever of those)

22.5 Agents further spy on the following factions to identify any militarily relevant Specials (defenses, traps, elite units, demonspawn, etc...):
    -Deadmen
    -Black Council
    -Reddinfel
    -Kaxxix Clan
    -Silence

Any excess agents of either action are used in the others to ensure I get the information.

35.5 Knowledge and [123 Wealth] works with the Fleshwarpers to build me a Reaper. Make sure they don't do anything to sabotage it, or it going rogue from wild magic or whatever, but aside from that, they take the lead. They're the experts. But I can create a small-scale Codex in it's head with relevant spycraft.

62 Rumors spins the Lost One purge as the first step to a clean up of the Undercity, bringing order to its depths. Specifically target the factions of the Commoner Quarters and Nobility, to try and convince them to assist the Syndicate in this endeavor. The Kaxxix and Reddinfel have an out of working with me and the Dirtlings in fixing up the bowels of the Spire, otherwise they will be be crushed by the lawbringers. Hopefully.
    Last edited by Nemesis67; 2015-09-13 at 02:42 PM.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ogre in the Playground

Atelier Lyrica

Show
    Oh, I get it now! Thank you so much for your explanation, it really helped Lyrica understand what Cloudstuff can, and can not do.

I guess it's not all that suitable for what I had in mind, after all... or, perhaps not, but maybe there's something else I can do with it. May Lyrica ask how well Cloudstuff takes to having enchantments imbued into it?

With love,
    Lyrica Springsong

Lyrica's Study, Atelier Lyrica

Sleepless nights have been the norm for Lyrica Springsong these days.

The chaos in Lyrica's study have only intensified since a scant few months ago, almost reflective of the magical chaos that had engulfed the Spire in an instant. The appearance of a golem more massive than it has any right to be, and now the advent of the arcane maelstrom that had engulfed the major hubs of magic within the Spire, including her own Atelier. The scattered papers covered almost every inch of the floor and went a long way up the walls, dimly lit by the yellow light given off by the burning candlesticks. And in its midst was Lyrica, burning the midnight oil once again as she worked on the current priority in a long list of future projects and experiments she had in mind.

"Mmmm, mmmn. What if I draw it like this...?"

Murmuring to herself, the Alchemist absentmindedly scooped out a spoon of Ambrosia from its jar at her desk, and scooped it into her mouth as she pored over the schematic before her, barely tasting the delicacy she had taken so much pride in creating not so long before. She examined the latest draft of her work before her for a few more seconds, before setting it aside and reaching for a fresh piece of parchment. It will take some time to perfect her newest alchemical formula, but once it is done, it would surely be as much of a game-changer as her previous creations had been...

Spoiler: Mid-Turn (GM)
    Show
    Deliver

Deliver [1 Ambrosia] each to House Dravor, House Florenn, House Dres and House Forestier.

Deliver [7 Agents] of Combat Homonculi to the Iron Knights

Buying

Pay [10 Cash] to the Divine Eye for [5 Cloudstuff], so I can use it this EoT.

Use [16 Cash] to buy 10 Skill/Master.

Use [33 Cash] to buy any Runes that are on the market.

Industry

40 Industry will be used to produce statues, which can be animated by the [Emet Array].

Knowledge

30.5 Knowledge will be used to produce Runes.

VIP Action: Lyrica Springsong

Using [Soul Mastery] as the foundation of her work, Lyrica will attempt to research a new Trait; [Paragon Array]. Tapping on the basic principles of the Magnum Opus as outlined in the Tabula Smaragdina, Lyrica will design a potent Alchemical array that, when inscribed into a set of armor or a piece of clothing, will read the soul of the wearer to determine his/her strengths and skillsets, and then enchant the attire to act as an Amplifier Artifact that will boost the wearer's natural abilities; thus, a warrior would find his physical capabilities enhanced, a mage would cast as though he were a more puissant version of himself, an apprentice could give a master craftsman a run for his money etc. as long as they were wearing it.

Then, using 2.5 Industry and 15 Glasteel, Lyrica will create a unique suit of Glasteel armor with the measurements provided to her by the House of Knowledge, with the Paragon Array inscribed upon it. While it is intended for delivery to the House of Knowledge to fulfill their request, it's true main purpose is to serve as a working prototype and proof-of-concept, for a future project Lyrica intends to embark on very soon.

Other

Use 15 Runes to improve upon the [Emet Array].
    Last edited by Ascaloth; 2015-09-17 at 03:45 AM.
    Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #459

BlueKnightGuy

The Dustmire Dirtlings: (12)

Spoiler: To the Dawn Syndicate(PM)
    Show
    *Sigh.* Negotiations have failed horribly. We gave em a good deal- tried to contract them t’our side, but they wouldn’t have it. They’re stubborn and emotional mole-people, and they avoided all rationality if it meant not siding with you. You’ve spooked em’ good, Commander.

The effort wasn’t fruitless, though. They let it slip that they have [30 agents] fighting for em, but whether they was lowballing us or not, it’s impossible to say.

As for our plans- the undercity’s a shifting mess to make anything out of. With the Lost Ones gone, there’s no real common folk for Cecil to better through public works. It’s all factions fighting for top dog. Which leaves us with two real options, see.

Plan A: Forum
    “Fortress” would be a better title than Forum, for it truth it will be a venerable safehouse within the Undercity. It will be a gathering place for discussion among the Undercity’s great influences, inside which faction leaders can speak openly without fear of impregnating forces or a knife in the back. Through this opportunity, one can hope that the undercity might reach some union.
    Plan B: King of the Undercity.

That’s you.

Plan B is Titan garrisons you in with a fortress instead, and just as we aim to govern the Upper City on high, you shall join us in ruling what is down below.
    "The Undercity is your campaign, and so the choice is yours. Unless you have any other suggestions, Earthencraft and his Titan will make a personal visit to work either of these at [midturn]. Quite the honor, I’d think.

”But that’s just our plan fer your predicament,”
    Grimble quickly reminds you. “We will still be contracting [35 Agents] of yours this [midturn]. Our militants are in place, and with your permission, will be rendezvousing back at your territory to throw any witnesses off their tail via the Undercity. The time has come.

The Atelier dies today.

Spoiler: Inhale
    Show
    Spoiler: Puff
    Show
    "What do you say, Commander?"

Titan to the Spinner Hag (PM)
    Like the long moan of the giants of the deep, a whale-like tune echoes across the city. The source is unmistakable, and its song is solemn. But to the commoner and artificer alike, that is all it is. It is strange magics these days, which allows decipherable interpretation- only in the minds intended to hear it.
    Spoiler: (PM)
    Show
    ~Long has it been~

since I have heard of your names.

Of the advocates of my cause

and the guardians of my construction.

~Long has it been to meet my allies~

friends of the father in this Hostile City.

Spoiler: Now
    Show
    ~Now is the time to rise together~

Proposition: Runes for Agents
    Dustmire and the Spinner Hag have long since been allies, and the time has come now to make use of this. What is the maximum number of agents that the Spinner Hag would be willing to contract to us this midturn? The payment will be coming in runes.

[Bonus]: An additional rune will be added to the payment to allow us to use the Spinner Hag as a rendezvous point after the attack, to throw any witnesses off our trail.

((OOC:: Will be going into radio silence this evening for 2 days; will try to type up a midturn before then if replies come in- and I'll get up an algorithm going otherwise))
    Last edited by Devilfish; 2015-09-13 at 12:31 PM.

10. - Top - End - #460

BlueKnightGuy

MIDTURN:
    ((Rushed for now, I'm afraid; I hate to throw up a tldr and run, I'll be certain to come back with some actual writing))

Spoiler: Midturn (GM)
    Show

35 industry: Produce the sentient submarine I described earlier, and have it sent to Titan Shipping. Using the Artisan Artificers trait to give it more bang for it's buck- they've waited long enough and deserve a good product

2 industry: produce 41 more equipment, and assign it to Industry. This will replace our Equipment redistribution:
    *160 spare equipment into Agents [The Immortal Black]
    *55 equipment from Industry into Agents [The Immortal Black]
    *30 equipment from Loyalty into Agents [The Immortal Black]
    *15 equipment from Knowledge into Agents [The Immortal Black]
    The 76 Agents of the Immortal Black are now fully stocked.

Titan + Cecil (linked!): Animals often pose to look bigger when asserting dominance in the wild: together the pair decend into the undercity, standing taller than any of them. We follow the Dawn Syndicate's direction, either building them a stronghold worthy of withholding the undercity itself. If not, we opt for the Forum (described in my previous post)- a fortress in its own right, guarded by Solomen, the Sentient door. Unlike the golems who are attuned to the heavenly bodies, just as Mop Bot is the embodiment of Cecil's meakness, so to is Solomen the essence of Cecil's wisdom itself. As such, it is an inquiring, and just force in the ensurance of security before allowing anyone to enter. Before entering, you will be searched. If any of the other factions can think of a manner in which to do so, then you will be searched as such as well. No one enters until those inside are assured they are safe in doing so.

(The atrium before consulting with Solomon is also a deathtrap. So you know, try not to pull any funny business.)
    Note: Forum may cloister itself and be put into lockdown. It will take a Dirtling Dignitary to give the All-Clear)

If the Dawn Syndicate has any other suggestions, we hold off and do that.

11.5 agents: Our menagerie of combat and guardian golems join Cecil and Titan info the undercity. Bombardier golems latch onto Titan itself, and become effective turrets along the colossal thing. Wurms prowl beneath the ground along any potential blindspots, while Helios golems position themselves to herd enemies together with their flame attacks. Makes stomping in groups more effective, methinks. Together, they form a lovely little escort formation.

More importantly than any of this, however, is that this makes up the entirety of Dustmire's known forces. With them on public display... it makes for a wonderful allibi. After all; they can't be in two places at once.

MAIN EVENT: MIDNIGHT MIDTURN MASSACRE
    To recent reports, the Atelier has Fifteen agents able to defend it. Using my remaining 76 agents and the Dawn Syndicate's 35 agents, I amass nearly ONE HUNDRED FIFTEEN agents- PLUS whatever forces the Spinner Hag has been willing to send me. We strike first, and we strike overwhelmingly hard. This is intended to be a slaughter.

Our forces move quickly and under the dead of night, slipping through the streets unseen under the guidance of the Syndicate and the Spinner. The Dawn Syndicate and the Spinner Hag are sent in to engage the initial defenses- and I do not know what a Obfuscated Sigil or an Emit array is, but I want them both compromised.

In the confusion of the fray, the Immortal Black swiftly advances to deal the killing blows. And I intend to ruin the Atelier here and now. We aim for the jugular and preferentially hit:
    1) Industry
    2) Knowledge
    3) Emit array

I assume that these stats are high, and that my forces will not reduce them to zero right now. If there is any excess, of course, we will mop up the Atelier's remaining agents; but in truth, to cripple the Atelier's means of production is our main goal.

A note on sacking: We claim any runes and wealth we find, and destroy any ambrosia we come across. However, no force of Dustmire shall lay a hand on any glasteel. We offer it as booty to the Dawn Syndicate instead, if they like.
    A note on Lyrica Springsong: Because Ascaloth really likes the character we have no interest in Miss Springsong's death, we do not hunt her down among the fighting. However, if she chooses to get involved herself... Well, that can't be helped. Cripple her. Don't kill.

The Grand Finale:
    The scene is chaos and death as is. A massive force has appeared out of nowhere and has laid desolation to everything within mere minutes. And still, this is not enough. Once our damage is done, the Immortal Black and its allies withdraw, and while the remaining witnesses cower and hide, while they try to comprehend what the hell just happened to them, we leave them a parting gift. Part exit strategy, part overkill, I use whatever runes I left (unpaid to the Spinner Hag) to destroy whatever remains. I plant a bomb. And a big one at that. (If runic magic is unstable and especially destructive at this point... then even better.)

I do make sure all forces are clear of the blast before detonation, of course. In truth, it is not intended to be so large as to explode the ruins of the Atelier itself: but hopefully enough to eliminate the witnesses.

We retreat before the authorities engage, and withdraw into the Uncercity beyond their grasp. If either the Spinner Hag or the Dawn Syndicate has agreed to hide them, then we regroup there. Anything to throw them off our trail.

There are no witnesses left.
    These were not golems.
    Dustmire was never involved.
    Last edited by Devilfish; 2015-09-16 at 05:20 PM.

11. - Top - End - #461

Dawn Syndicate

Dustmire Dirtlings (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I believe that an attack upon the Atelier will result in the Iron Knights, Argent, and potentially Stone Guard all uniting to destroy you, if the source can be traced. I also believe that even if we obfuscate our involvement, those parties will investigate the matter and find out the truth relatively quickly. And I highly doubt that Lyrica will be destroyed, at best it would set her back a few months, and she'll respond with fiery vengeance. It will also prematurely spark a war for the throne that I don't believe you can win at this point in time. The better plan would be to prove she stole your Glasteel, and disprove the claim that the Siphon Spirit was the cause, and bring legal charges against her. I realize that's not what you want to do, but that's what I'd suggest.

What I would prefer to do is spend the [Midturn] identifying the military strength of the major powers in the Upper and Undercity, so that we may operate from a position of knowledge. Put your justice on hold for a bit, organize a coalition of powers from the Commoners Quarter and various noble families unhappy with Loboniva's rule to bring order to the gangs of the Undercity, and use that as a basis to build ties with groups that can back your claim for the throne. If you disagree, then I'll have my [35 Agents] assist you, but I expect payment. [35 Wealth]. If you want my [Rumors] to cover the attack, then it'll cost you more, [1 Wealth] per [2 Rumors], which should cover [1-2 Agents] of investigation each [Rumors]. You can't repay me in the future if the powers that be take you down, so I need it this turn."

[OOC: Meaning you're going to need to pay me by making money either at Midturn or this End of Turn. I feel you're going to get swarmed if you attack Lyrica right now, so you won't be able to do stuff to help me if you're focused on defense.]

Midturn (GM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    30 Agents (2 each) identify the value of the VIP and Agents of the following factions in order:
    (Undercity Politics)
    -Black Council
    -Deadmen
    -Kaxxix Clan
    -Silence
    -Wasteland Hunters
    -Reddinfel

(Potential allies for purging the Undercity)
    -Pit Fighter's Association
    -Atheist League
    -Coalition
    -League of Fine Tea Makers
    -Natural Order

(The Powers that Be, for the Dustmire's campaign)
    -Argent
    -Iron Knights
    -SEU/Stone Guard (I don't know if the Stone Guard are just the Agents of the Union, or a distinct faction so whichever of those)

(And the last information broker)
    -House Dres

36.5 Agents join the Reddinfel's siege on the Black Council. I believe the Titan and Cecil will be assisting here. Hadran takes charge, I'm here to get his campaign done.

35.5 Knowledge and [123 Wealth] works with the Fleshwarpers to build me a Reaper. Ensure it is loyal to me, no wild magic nonsense or whatever. But they're the experts, follow their lead.

62 Rumors spins the Lost Ones purge as the first step to a clean up of the Undercity, bringing order to its depths. Attempting to negate any propaganda against me as preying on the weak, and build up some support among the NPCs of the Commoner's Quarters and Nobility that this campaign is something that's for the betterment of the Spire.
    Last edited by Nemesis67; 2015-09-16 at 08:35 PM.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Troll in the Playground

Fleshwarper's Guild to the Dawn Syndicate (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    With such assistance and for such a sum we could indeed grow a fearsome reaper able to take on small armies and assasinate the most guarded target. But it wouldn't be invincible. Both the Silence and the Titan are more suited to a mage or siege weapons respectively. We wouldn't be able to garantuee the effectiveness of our creation against them.

Reddinfel to the Dawn Syndicate
    Spoiler
    Show
    If that is the case, then aid us in defeating the Black Council once and for all.

Kaxxix to the Dawn Syndicate
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your words would be more trustworthy if you had approached us before you began killing off our neighbors. We do not wish for your help in the matter. We can unite the Under City with our own strength. So if your words are true, then refrain from further interference in the depths and we'll consider an alliance once we have settled things here.

The Divine Eye to Atelier Lyrica
    Spoiler
    Show
    Despite the quality Cloudstuff is not in itself magical. As such it is no more and no less difficult to enchant it than any other material.

(OOC: In general applying an enchantment after a product has been made is more or less exactly the same no matter what the object is. It is possible to create artifacts which channel more easily. But their construction is complicated and requires a large variety of materials. It's like the difference between making a house with just wood, and one with wood, bricks, plumbing, wiring, etc. The second one might look the same on the outside, but it's far more complicated and far more habitable.)

The Spinner Hag to the Dustmire Dirtlings (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    "For our good friends we could bring [24 agents] to the fight. And we would do so for four runes."

13. - Top - End - #463
    Ogre in the Playground

Atelier Lyrica

Show
    I see. I suppose it'll work well enough for my purposes, anyway! Lyrica wants to buy all [5 Units] of the Cloudstuff you have on hand right now! [10 Cash], right? Can it be delivered this [Mid-Turn]?

With love,
    Lyrica Springsong

(OOC: I've added this edit into my Mid-Turn.)

Spoiler: To the Iron Knights
    Show
    Oh, I almost forgot!

Lyrica's going to be working on that backup option for dealing with the Titan, but I figure Ser Cecil's not going to be too happy if he hears about it. And Lyrica has reason to believe he would hear about it sooner or later, too.

I'd really rather not be disturbed by anything he may try to sabotage my research, so do you think you could send some of your guys to look after my Atelier, until I'm done here?

With love,
    Lyrica Springsong

Spoiler: To the Emperor
    Show
    Lord Eryn, I almost forgot to mention this!

Lyrica's going to be working on a way for dealing with the Titan, but I figure Ser Cecil's not going to be too happy if he hears about it. And since we both know Ser Murin helped keep his Titan secret until recently, it's probably the case he'll inform Ser Cecil about it sooner or later as well.

I'd really rather not be disturbed by anything they may try to sabotage my research, so do you think you could persuade the Iron Knights to come and look after my Atelier, until I'm done here?

With love,
    Lyrica Springsong

(OOC: I had discussed this some time earlier with Murska in Hipchat, but forgot about it until now. Alas, Murska NPC'd Loboniva for the time being, so maybe you can handle it?)
    Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #464

Dawn Syndicate

Reddinfel (19.5)
    Spoiler
    Show
    That I can do. When?

Fleshwarper's Guild (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I see. That is perfectly acceptable. I'll have to look elsewhere for a solution to those examples then, but the Reaper will be of use in my current campaign.

As a curiosity, do you have any opinion as to the future of the Undercity?"

Dustmire Dirtlings (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The same crystal flicks on, and the Commander sighs. "It would seem our friend Lyrica is requesting some Iron Knights to assist in defending her Atelier. I am unwilling to engage in an attack against the military of the Spire, so if they accept, I am out. However, I also have some good news. The Reddinfel are open to the Syndicate's cooperation in our campaign for the Undercity. They wish for help in eliminating the Black Council. Whereas the Kaxxix have told me to leave the Undercity alone as they unify everything. Barring the potential of the Reddinfel and Kaxxix using myself to eliminate the Council and then turning on me, I would suspect we have the possibility of putting a crack in their alliance. As I said, we can use this campaign to build ties with the powers of the City and portray Sir Eartherncraft as a figure who will improve the future of the Spire. Enough for you to be a potential candidate for the throne, if it were to become vacant.

The Titan may have its outing after all."

15. - Top - End - #465
    Troll in the Playground

The Divine Eye to Atelier Lyrica
    Spoiler
    Show
    We can have it delivered to you by then.

The Iron Knights to Atelier Lyrica
    Spoiler
    Show
    We might be able to spare some forces. What level of security do you think will be necessary to augment your own measures?

The Emperor to Atelier Lyrica
    Spoiler
    Show
    We will have a word wit them.

The Emperor to the Iron Knights
    Spoiler
    Show
    We regard the Atelier of Mistress Springsong to be a vital asset to this City. We would be most pleased if you assisted it.

The Reddinfel to the Dawn Syndicate
    Spoiler
    Show
    The siege is ongoing. So whenever you can spare forces to assist our forces.

The Fleshwarper's Guild to the Dawn Syndicate (PM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    We wish to remain apolitical. Our primary goal is to further research the mysteries of flesh shaping. Even our selling of beasts is a means to fund that research and not an end in itself.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I know it's taken a while, but I feel that it's been long enough for midturns to be finalized. As such I will be processing the midturn and posting the results some time tomorrow. So you have the rest of today to make any last minute changes.

16. - Top - End - #466

BlueKnightGuy

Tides are turning on a shallow surface. They tilt gently at first, rocking back and forth along their perfect equilibrium. They grow greater waves as the surface shifts, threatening to spill everything everywhere. Tides are turning out of control. And no one can say which way they will spill.

A single drop hits the surface...

And a shockwave rattles the decks.

Titan raises itself to a stand from where it lands, having arrived like a colossal superhero. It was only a (relative) short distance that it finished its descent with a jump, but its mass is too great but to help announce itself. And its introduction shall echo down the labyrinthine corridors that is the Uncercity.

In perfect dichotomy, a diminutive being sits upon its shoulder. His face is stern and goggles sit where his glasses once were. He raises a salute with one hand... and holds his hand aglow in the other.

Spoiler: Midturn (for real)
    Show
    35 Industry: Construct the Sentient Submarine that Titan shipping has paid in full for. Again, using Artisan Artificers to give it more bang for it's buck- they really had been waiting for a good product.
    Spoiler: Early Design
    Show
    Few know of size better than dirtlings and ogres. In a world that does not accommodate, size is a limitation to the giant, and an imposition to the diminutive; and still, these terms do not limit themselves to one being an ogre or a dirtling. To an ogre, any submarine short of huge is valueless, yet despite its great size, everything falls short to the vastness of the sea. The truth then is that nothing can overpower the Sea of Storms… and nothing will have to.

The Expedition (Golem)
    As is known, Dustmire specializes in golems by setting inanimate material in synchrony with the universe, imbuing them with symbols of the heavenly bodies. To align one’s submarine to the moon would be to link it to the ocean itself. The Expedition is a submarine which would not challenge the Sea of Storms… but sail through it as a guest.

The submarine would take no form of a whale or fish. It is spherical, clear, and appears little more than a series of terraced platforms. At its center is the golem’s heart and mind, and stemming all around it are workstations and observatories and cargo holds; around it is space, for the Ogres to do with as they please.

What propels the Expedition? What keeps the water from rushing in, and crushing the glass? The answer is the ocean itself; attuned to the sea, it is the sea’s very waves that will move the Expedition as it sees fit. It is that same volition which will bar any water from touching an occupant on board. The Expedition and the Sea of Storms will act as one; and both will carry you to safety.

Disclaimer: This Golem will be imbued with sentience to better its situational adaptability. It will act as your ally, but not as your tool. The golem’s mind is its own.

2 Industry: produce 41 more equipment, and assign it to Industry. This will replace our Equipment redistribution:
    *160 spare equipment into Agents [The Immortal Black]
    *55 equipment from Industry into Agents [The Immortal Black]
    *30 equipment from Loyalty into Agents [The Immortal Black]
    *15 equipment from Knowledge into Agents [The Immortal Black]
    The 76 Agents of the Immortal Black are now fully stocked.

Titan + Cecil (Linked!) Time for some action.

I imbue Titan with the 25 units of Cecil's Everlasting Repair powder, and send the pair to aid the Dawn Syndicate in their coming war against the Black Counsel. While Cecil primarily practices Artificing, he is a powerful geomancer and a support to be reckoned with. Dust storms can blind and pelt and howl down the narrow corridors in the Undercity. Stone passageways may open or close (or crush those within), and the ground itself may turn to quicksand beneath them. While he does not prefer to kill foes directly, he can make them substantially easier targets; whether it be for pikes or crossbows or titanic fists of death.

The Titan is a colossus and an arcane dynamo. Everything it reaches can be flattened in an instant, droves of men packed into narrow spaces reduced to paste inside of crumpled armor. The doors of strongholds can be wrenched from their hinges, and few of those who behold it would have the bravery to face it. To scatter and flee would help... were Titan not an Arcane Dynamo.

Together, they aid the siege upon the Black Counsel

20.5 Knowledge: Black Schematics
    Using their knowledge, Cecil and his Artisans research the optimized production of a better killing machine. Namely, [yielding more Agents per Wealth/Rune/VIP invested into them.]

((NOTE: As per the meta, this could technically wait until EoT, whereas it makes more sense to make runes now to be put in effect for EoT/the next turn. However, I cannot in good faith make another move just to generate more resources))

OOC: Had some trouble thinking of better uses for knowledge for now, but alas, we are pressed for time.
    *Holding off on contacting the Dawn Syndicate or the Spinner Hag for now.
    Last edited by Devilfish; 2015-09-16 at 07:02 PM.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Ogre in the Playground

Atelier Lyrica

Spoiler: To the Emperor
    Show
    Thank you so much, Lord Eryn! Lyrica really appreciates it! I'll get that countermeasure to Ser Cecil's overgrown statue ready real soon, don't worry!

With love,
    Lyrica Springsong

Show
    Oh, Lyrica knows you're busy preparing for some war or other, so how about as many as you think you can afford to spare? [20 Agents], maybe [30 Agents] of your Knights if at all possible?

Lyrica will take about [2 Turns] to get the backup countermeasure completely ready, so if you can have them guarding my Atelier until then, it would be most appreciated! Lyrica can give you [5 Agents] of my fighting children per [Turn] for both [Turns], in exchange for your assistance. Why, if you think it'd be a good idea to continue this arrangement after this period, Lyrica thinks that would be great as well!

With love,
    Lyrica Springsong

(OOC: I'm assuming [Homonculi Vats] will produce more Agents than that per Turn, so do tell me if I'm wrong about that.)
    Last edited by Ascaloth; 2015-09-17 at 04:24 AM.
    Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #468
    Troll in the Playground

Titan Shipping
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Big news of course is the Titan produced by Dustmire Dirtlings. A massive construct it causes a mixture of fear, envy, and awe in the citizens of the City. It also seems to have sparked ill will between the Dustmire Dirtlings and Atelier Lyrica. They have each been doing their best to convince everyone else that the other is insane and the cause for any number of unfortunate events from the magical anomalies to the unrest in the Under City.

Meanwhile the other important news is the Dawn Syndicate's campaign in the under city. They claim to be clearing out the undesirables, but most people regard it as simply an attempt to gain loot for the Syndicate in the most respectable manner possible.

In other news the Emperor has been pushing numerous reforms to bring a halt to corruption and establish clear guidelines and taxes for everyone.

The Iron Knights have been building up for a campaign.

The Natural Order and Deadmen are currently skirmishing.

The Reddinfel and Spinner Hag are laying siege to the Black Council.

To the Duskmire Dirtlings
    Spoiler
    Show
    The submarine is an impressive vehicle, although a somewhat odd one. The great glass structure looks completely incapable of handling any amount of force, but Cecil is sure it will work to specifications. It slightly hard to test that claim though. Given that there are no nearby lakes or oceans.

Still it is wide and spacious. Big enough to hold masses of cargo and well suited to the massive stature of an ogre.

--

The assault on the Black Council is a smshing success. Literally as the massive Titan batters its way through the Black Council's walls. Behind it mass the collected soldiers of the Reddinfel, Spinner's Hag, and the Dawn Syndicate. It's easy to see why the Reddinfel and Spinner's Hag have not had any success. The Dawn Syndicate contingent alone is almost equal to both others combined, and there was certainly no Titan here.

The Black Council themselves have been busy. What was once a warren of streets and disconnected neighborhoods has been turned into a true fortress. The walls that the Titan breached appear to only be the first shell of the defenses. Marcone himself mans the second shell. He is almost indescribable. A mass of shifting darkness in a cloak of shadow. And he soon proves its not just for show with a magical spell. No one is entirely sure what it is, but reality seems to spasm and the Titan is actually pushed back a number of meters with a massive crater in its torso.

Cecil counterattacks with his own geomancy, but he can't get a good grip on the area. It has been heavily spelled to support the Black Council. And the army is busy assaulting the numerous defenders of the second wall.

After a pitched conflict the two sides cease their exchange of fire as everyone is simply too exhausted too continue. The Black Council's tools and equipment that was left between the first and second walls is taken up and distributed amongst the invaders, but it is clear that this will not be a quick and easy fight.

To the Dawn Syndicate
    Spoiler
    Show
    The assault on the Black Council is a smshing success. Literally as the massive Titan batters its way through the Black Council's walls. Behind it mass the collected soldiers of the Reddinfel, Spinner's Hag, and the Dawn Syndicate. It's easy to see why the Reddinfel and Spinner's Hag have not had any success. The Dawn Syndicate contingent alone is almost equal to both others combined, and there was certainly no Titan here.

The Black Council themselves have been busy. What was once a warren of streets and disconnected neighborhoods has been turned into a true fortress. The walls that the Titan breached appear to only be the first shell of the defenses. Marcone himself mans the second shell. He is almost indescribable. A mass of shifting darkness in a cloak of shadow. And he soon proves its not just for show with a magical spell. No one is entirely sure what it is, but reality seems to spasm and the Titan is actually pushed back a number of meters with a massive crater in its torso.

Cecil counterattacks with his own geomancy, but he can't get a good grip on the area. It has been heavily spelled to support the Black Council. And the army is busy assaulting the numerous defenders of the second wall.

After a pitched conflict the two sides cease their exchange of fire as everyone is simply too exhausted too continue. The Black Council's tools and equipment that was left between the first and second walls is taken up and distributed amongst the invaders, but it is clear that this will not be a quick and easy fight.

--

The Flesh Warpers deliver the reaper beast to the Syndicate within weeks, though they warn it is still recovering from the molding process. It is as large as two ogres, but somehow manages to exude a sense of fluid grace whenever it moves. When it wants too it can move as silently as a mouse and blend its armored plates into any color necessary to camoflauge itself. But it can also stomp and roar like a juggernaught, and in training demonstrates an keen sense of cunning on where to use each mode to best effect.

It's paws are equipped talons the length of swords that can cut through the best glasteel armor the Syndicate has, and it's mouth is capable of biting a man literally in half. Not that the Syndicate have tested that with a real soldier yet.

All in all it appears to be everything the Fleshwarpers said it would be.

To Atelier Lyrica
    Spoiler
    Show
    A few days after recieving the Ambrosia House Dres and House Forestier put in orders for [5 units] of Ambrosia each. The other two promise to put in orders shortly.

The Cloudstuff arrives from the Divine eye, as do the master artisans Lyrica hired. Unfortunately she is only able to purchase three runes. The price has gone up to 9 wealth each as more people are interested in magic after the latest surges.

The homonculi churn out a large group of statues. They are of fine quality and are soon joined by the shipment from the Guild. Lyrica thinks they will be well suited for their intended purpose.

Lyrica crafts the Paragon array. It is a masterful work of armor. Although quite light it is still very strong and well suited for any type of combat. Unfortunately the Paragon array is less impressive. It works well enough. When Lyrica tests it she feels her body strengthen and her mind sharpen. It's just very impressive compared to some of her previous efforts such as the Emet Array or the Homonculi Vats. Of course it doesn't have any runes strengthening it either.

The Emet Array itself is charged with all the runes that Lyrica has gathered. The amount of power flowing through it is awe inspiring. Just looking at Lyrica knows she has made a weapon that can fell Titans and defeats armies. An artifact of world shaking power.

Unfortunately it also appears to have shaken the very walls of realty. The influx of such masses of magic causes tension to build and build until there is a displacement/discontinuity/crack and some [/I]thing[/I] appears outside the atelier. It is hard to look normally. Doing so causes her eyes to burn and her mind to ramble. Even with her mage sight Lyrica is hard pressed to make the details simply because they keep changing. Sometimes it is the size of the Titan. Other times it is smaller than a mouse. It has one limb, then four, then a multitude, then only two. It's face shifts over it's body splitting and merging into multiple heads, and sometimes none at all.

As Lyrica watches it begins disassembling the surrounding neighborhood. Her own defenses seem to repel it, but her neighbors are not so lucky. Their houses and shops are taken apart, and then put back together in nonsensical ways. Her neighbors themselves are also grabbed by the things fluctuating limbs, but they simply vanish. Lyrica does not really want to consider what might be happening to them.

The Iron Knights to Atelier Lyrica
    Spoiler
    Show
    That is a large force, but if you can arrange for that rate of force expansion, then you are as great an asset as the Emperor proclaimed. We will do our best to ensure the safety of your Atelier Mistress Springsong.

(Lyrica thinks the vats by themselves could produce [3 agents] per action. Though it wouldn't be especially hard to upgrade them to produce 5.)

19. - Top - End - #469
    Troll in the Playground

The Chaos of War
    The Undercity is once again subjected to open violence as various factions clash. There is nothing new there, but what is new is the scale. The Black Council has long been sieged by the Reddinfel and the Spinner's Hag, but in recent weeks those forces have been joined by the Dustmire Titan and a legion of Dawn Syndicate mercenaries to finally break into the Black Council's fortified archives.

The result was a battle the likes of which have not been seen since the Blackstone War. Titan against magic. Soldier against summoned beasts. Entire walled neighborhoods were destroyed in the battle as the allied forces advanced into Black Council territory, but reports are that the Black Council remains unbowed, and the fight continues in the bowels of the city.

The Chaos of Magic
    The maelstrom of magic seems to have found a focus in the upper docks near Atelier Lyrica. Fearful residents have poured out claiming that some thing is affecting anything not protected by powerful wards. Entire buildings are shifting into strange shapes, residents and curious onlookers are simply disappearing into thin air. Magical help is not forthcoming as weak mages who peer at it seem to simply break down and start babbling insanely. Strong mages simply go pale and hurry away as fast as they can.

The Flesh Warper's Guild to Atelier Lyrica
    Spoiler
    Show
    We would like to know if you are still interested in research flesh crafting with us?

The Flesh Warper's Guild to the Dawn Syndicate
    Spoiler
    Show
    How do you find the creation we have delivered.

The Deadmen to the Dawn Syndicate
    Spoiler
    Show
    We would like to hire your services

The Deadmen to the Reddinfel and Kaxxix Clan
    Spoiler
    Show
    We are interested in joining the alliance you are forming.

20. - Top - End - #470

BlueKnightGuy

The Dustmire Dirtlings [12]:

Show
    This has gone on long enough.

Time and time again the Atelier has proven itself more dangerous and more uncontrollable than my Titan has ever been. Neighborhoods are being distorted from reality; people are dying, or warping into something worse. That workshop, Lord Commander, is a danger to the public as we speak.

We are asking your assistance- or at the least your permission- in shutting the Atelier and it's alchemical mayhem down.
    Dustmire will not stand for pandemonium.

Spoiler: To the Dawn Syndicate
    Show
    "Well!" Cecil remarks, lifting his goggles and gesturing at the breach. "I'd say that went pretty well!"

He winces slightly at the crater in his greatest creation; but a silvery glow at the border of its wound gives him some hidden reassurance.

"The debt is paid, Commander! I'm afraid any further assistance will need compensation"

21. - Top - End - #471

Dawn Syndicate

Fleshwarpers Guild (19.5)
    Spoiler
    Show
    It is quite magnificent. I'll have to wait to see it in action, but I have high hopes.

Dustmire Dirtlings (19.5)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Our books are balanced, yes. But I expect we'll have need for each other in the future. Best of luck, Mr. Cobblegrit.

Reddinfel (19.5)
    Spoiler
    Show
    A good start.

But if you want our continuing support, I'm going to need you to offer something up. Namely, denying the Deadmen entry to your alliance. The intent of my involvement is to reduce the number of factions needed for cooperation in the Undercity. Having three of the four major powers remain does not ease that as much as I would like. The both of us removed them from the race for Emperor, what seems like ages ago. Let's not put them back in the running.

Deadmen (19.5)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Our previous contract is at an end, so we are available at the moment, unless they choose to renew. What did you have in mind?

22. - Top - End - #472
    Troll in the Playground

The Iron Knights to the Dustmire Dirtlings
    Spoiler
    Show
    We do not share your view. First of all we do not know the details of what is going on there, and second we do not even know if the Atelier is even the cause of it. More information must be discovered we can make any sort of judgement.

Reddinfel to the Dawn Syndicate
    Spoiler
    Show
    On the contrary if we can get every an alliance with them it will make the pacification of the Undercity even easier. Better to have them as supporters than spend time and men clearing the undead from the streets after all.

Deadmen to the Dawn Syndicate
    Spoiler
    Show
    We wish to purchase your services in finally end the threat of the natural order to us.

23. - Top - End - #473

Dawn Syndicate

Reddinfel (19.5)
    Spoiler
    Show
    No, it will just mean your disputes become political and covert. The three of you have been powers in the Undercity for years and haven't resolved your conflicts. If you all ally, that doesn't make those go away. And it means instead of negotiating with one power, I have to negotiate with three still.

Anyways, if you want our help again, you have to give us something in exchange.

Deadmen (19.5)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Our price is [1 Wealth] per [Agent]. How many are you looking to hire?

24. - Top - End - #474
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    That leads into the pertinent point then. What exactly are you trying to negotiate for?

The Deadmen to the Dawn Syndicate
    Spoiler
    Show
    We would hire [10 Agents]

The Dawn Syndicate (GM)
    Spoiler
    Show
    After some processing the Syndicate agents finally deliver their reports on the factions of interest to Commander Murin. Unfortunately not every faction was able to be fully infiltrated. In particular the agents sent to investigate the Silence returned with a report that makes anyone who reads it start raving incoherently. And the report on the House Dres somehow got replaced with a note from Lord Dres.

Spoiler: Reports
    Show
    Black Council
    Agents: 62
    Marcone: Unknown

Deadmen
    Agents: 27
    Elira Nightingale: Level 23

Kaxxix Clan
    Agents: Unknown
    Mother Kaxxix: Level 23

Silence
    --The eternal blue sings of the sun.--

Wasteland Hunters
    Agents: 14
    The Drake: Level 20

Reddinfel
    Hadran Hatchet: Level 16

Pit Fighter's Association
    Agents: 14
    Kruk Utz: Level 26

Atheist League
    Agents: 2
    Sloak: Unknown

Coalition
    Mr. Wickle: Level 26

League of Fine Tea Makers
    Agents: 32
    Sargon: Level 23

Natural Order
    Agents: 18
    Tom Redwick: Level 18

Argent
    Eryn Loboniva: Level 12

Iron Knights
    Agents: 161
    General Duval: Level 71

SEU/Stone Guard
    Golem 88: Level 18

House Dres
    --"If you try this again your next spies won't be returned to you. -LD"--

25. - Top - End - #475

Dawn Syndicate

Reddinfel (19.5)
    Spoiler
    Show
    My long term objective is to have the Undercity be incorporated into the rest of the Spire as a true district, not a segregated battleground the rest of the Spire tries to keep out of their minds. The citizens of our grand city should be able to walk its entire height without fear of being murdered or shanghaied.

To eliminate war, I need to put together proper governance of the Undercity, under a single power or a coalition, where violence is not an accepted means to resolve disputes, and where the Spire above doesn't see a need to topple the regime. You and the Kaxxix's alliance are a step towards that, but each new faction joining means keeping it together is going to be more and more difficult. I don't want to replace the current inferno with a powder keg waiting to blow.

Now, I know you need external help to eliminate the Council. Our previous offensive was a demonstration of my intent to assist your coalition. If you want my troops to assist once more, I need something in return to prove you intend this to be a partnership.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Ogre in the Playground

Titan Shipping

Spoiler: to Atelier Lyrica
    Show
    We request 10 units of ambrosia and 20 units of glasssteel buy [EoT after next] if that is possible. Also, we wish to talk with you about the magic anomalies your feud with the Dustmire has caused. You may remember we live near the most intense of these outbursts and they our making our in-Spire operations hazardous. We are happy to serve as intermediaries if necessary, but these phenomena have to be brought in line.

Spoiler: to the Dustmire Dirtlings
    Show

We would like 20 units of garden golems by [EoT after next]. Also, we find ourselves extremely inconvenienced by errant magical outbursts stemming form your feud with the Atelier. Although we volunteer to serve as a go between we must stress that these instabilities are not acceptable.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    So you want to end the violence by killing everyone who isn't your ally then. We suppose that's one way to do it. However we aren't certain what exactly you are asking for. We can tell you that we will support you in this endeavor. And we certainly would gain much from it, but those are just words.

If you want something more concrete. Then perhaps territory would suffice. A place in the new order as a direct participant rather than shadowy supporter.

28. - Top - End - #478

BlueKnightGuy

~* * *~

As the sun rises, Grimble sits at breakfast; cigar in his mouth and morning paper in his hands.
    Cecil enters through the door opposite him, covered in soot from head to toe, and holding his coffee.
    They exchange their good mornings.

“How was the raid?”
    “Oh, exciting. Terrifying and hair-greying too, but exciting indeed.”
    “Hehh.”
    “You’re sure you didn’t want to go instead? It’s certainly more your thing.”
    “Yer better with magic,” Grumble shrugs. “ ‘sides- didn’t want to deny you yer experience

The two chuckle lightly, shaking off the morning sand.
    Grimble raises his paper: “SPIRE CITY IN CHAOS,” one headline reads.”

“Heh-hee. Spiral city.”
    “Hm?”
    “Oh, no it’s nothing. Ha-ha-no, it’s amusing, actually.”
    “What is?”
    “Spiral City, Gribmle. It gets bigger and bigger but it’s all trapped in one big circle! Circling and circling around- just a massive spiral that never ends.”

Grimble puts down his paper. Cecil puts down his coffee. The droll of machinery whirs from the background, to fill the silence between them.

“What are we doing here, Grimble.”
    “….”
    “I mean, what did we come here for?”
    “To build a giant f████ing golem- one monolith to tower them all?”
    “And have we?”

The two look out the window to the massive factory floors. Titan looks towards them, and offers a colossal thumbs up.

“What now?”
    “Wha- geez, Earthencraft. I dunno? Maybe we bask in it a little? Maybe we wrest vengeance from Lyrica after all she’s done to spite us?”
    “Ha! At this rate Lyrica will revenge herself just fine. Have you seen the mess she’s made? The Iron Knights might be her lap dogs, but pretty soon the public will be at her with torches and pitch forks if this keeps up- not to mention the SEU, who’s right under her territory. And us- who’s right under them.
    “No, revenge isn’t good enough. Not to risk our Titan while she schemes hellbent against us, and not to put our people at harm, if we try to punish her for it. Spiral City, Grimble. It’s all spinning at dizzying heights, spiraling out of control.”

Grimble removes the cigar from his mouth,
    and leans over the table.

“What now, then?”

Cecil clasps his coffee in both hands,
    and gently places it down.

“That’s a good question.”

“Did you hear that they’re buying golems across the sea?”
    Really now.
    “Top dollar! Bodyguards, Garden golems- it’s all free market there! They haven’t seen a lick of it!”
    “HA! See, that’s been our problem all along- there; what us big fish need is a smaller pond!"
    “It's perfect, really," Cecil scratches his chin. "We came here to show the world that dirtlings aren’t lower than dirt."
    For once Grimble smiles, and it isn't dripping with venom. “Let’s show them a freakin' Titan.”

“Weren't you gonna run for mayor?”
    “Oh, that. Loboniva and Lyrcia had me pinned, I needed to put them on the defensive.

“Didn’t you try to poison me once?”
    “Yeh. I wanted Titan fer myself. Sorry about that.”
    “Ah, don’t worry about it.”

~ * * * ~

[The Dustmire Dirtlings to Titan Shipping:]

This comes as no written letter. The entire gathered assembly of the dirtlng people, their golems, their industries, and everything that they own is carried on their backs and arrived at your doorstep. In the distance behind them, their colossus carries your submarine for a hand delivery.

“Good evening, wayfarers!” their chieftain calls from its shoulders.

“We have a few passangers for your first voyage—and a hell of a business proposition!”
    Last edited by Devilfish; 2015-10-10 at 09:32 PM.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ogre in the Playground

Titan Shipping to the Dustmire Dirtlings

After a short time a young ogre exited the Spire aboard one of the miniature airships Titan Shipping used to carry cargo on their overland runs. He paused the vessel near the titan's shoulder and called out to the Dirtling Chief. "Salutations. I am Hirflus, acting director of Titan Shipping. Gegral recently retired after a purple carp flew through his window while he was receiving continued treatment for frostbite. I would be happy to entertain any opportunity you wish to present."
    Last edited by Mabn; 2015-10-12 at 09:32 PM.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Troll in the Playground

The Year 3060

Many years have passed since the chaos now known as the Magic Wars, the Scouring, and even the Shattering depending on who is asked. Houses have been cast out, new ones have taken there place and the grand scheming of nobles continues. The Emperor Loboniva still reigns on the Petal Throne waging a long campaign to bring the City a better future.

But for most people life simply continues. They work in their great towers building goods and raising families. For all the chaos and bitter fighting that has occurred the world still turns and the common citizen has few cares for the worries and rivalries of the more ambitious powers.

Part 1: The Great Eastern Expedition
    One notable event that does draw the attention of the common folk is the return of the much vaunted Titan Expedition. For years Titan Shipping has struggled and toiled to carve a route to the City of Perpetual Light. Traders have made it there before in individual ships or small caravans, but no one can truly say they managed to open up the route to routine trade.

Not until the Titan Shipping's visionary leader decided that he would not take no for an answer. For years the Ogre Gegral sent caravan after caravan east in a steady stream of supplies. The Totem mountains were conquered in an icy campaign. Monsters and pirates alike were subdued by the brave workers and soldiers of the company and a route carved through the high peaks.

That alone opened up new trade vistas for Titan Shipping, but there goal had not yet been obtained. Their next obstacle was the Sea of Storms and it was here that they entered into partnership with the Dustmire Dirtlings. The dirtlings saw the stormy sea as nothing more than a challenge to their artificing skills. The mile high waves, the leviathans, and even the constant lightning strikes did not daunt them.

They built first one, then two, then a fleet of golem vessels. Some went under the surface. Some flew over the clouds. And a few simply plowed through the waves. But each was larger and tougher than the last. To fuel this endeavor great shipyards were constructed, and from the shipyards in time grew a grand city, though nothing compared to The City. Cecile's Town it was called or eventually just Cecilton, and it was a haven of engineering and magic devoted to the dirtling way of life.

It was finally the combination of both groups working together that crossed the great sea. A mighty golem ship crewed by hearty Titan sailors made the first successful crossing. And soon what was once an epic feat had become routine as more ships braved the storms.

The other side was a sea of another kind. A sea of ash and dust. Nothing grew there but the bones of the dead. And of that crossing the Titan crews will only speak in hushed voices and quiet tones. A vast graveyard it was. No hostile monsters lived there, for nothing lived there. Ash storms blotted out the sky, and every ton of supplies had to be carried across the sea.

But eventually the first scouts made it across, and they marked out stable routes for future expeditions. And at long last a caravan reached the mighty City of Perpetual Light. Vast rings of metal and glass marked it out. The light it was named for gleamed in vast arcs over gardens that stretched to the horizon. Compared to the trials it had taken to get there it was paradise. And indeed many Titan crew stayed there to be replaced by young inhabitants of the city eager to see the world.

The journey back was as perilous as the journey there, but now many of the dangers had become common place. Charted out and well understood. So it was that the Expedition finally returned to the City of Resplendent Towers filled with exotic plants and animals for the consumption of curious residents, and the reaping a bounty for the vaults of the ogres.

To Come:
    Part 2: The Scouring of the UnderCity