New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default ]something clever]

I'm going to be playing a warlock in a n upcoming game and I need your help with the details.

He's a Sorcerer/Warlock gestalt, with wild soul on the sorcerer side. The warlock, not sure. I wanted to play him as a big bad boss, getting others to do his work, either through Enchanting, Conjuration, and Necromancy. I also want him to be able to cause large explosions, just in case. Any way to make a character specializing in those three any good?

Edit: He's a Half-Fey, so that takes care of a few enchantment spells.
    Last edited by Bad Wolf; 2015-01-24 at 11:12 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: ]Something clever]

Creating a big explosion sounds like a Blast Shape Invocation. The Save DC should be at least decent since you need charisma for Sorcerer casting anyways.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: ]Something clever]

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Aegis View Post
    Creating a big explosion sounds like a Blast Shape Invocation. The Save DC should be at least decent since you need charisma for Sorcerer casting anyways.
    I know, I've got 32 charisma through jumping through hoops. That should be enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    Sorcerers are also based on Charisma. If a Wizard studies the cheat codes to reality, the Sorcerer literally just glares or winks at the universe. And the universe listens.
    Quote Originally Posted by foobar1969 View Post
    Flexibility is awesome, but I'd sacrifice that spellbook in a heartbeat to be a 24-7 flying hentai apocalypse demon.

First Eternal foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: ]something clever]

I could use some help...
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    Sorcerers are also based on Charisma. If a Wizard studies the cheat codes to reality, the Sorcerer literally just glares or winks at the universe. And the universe listens.
    Quote Originally Posted by foobar1969 View Post
    Flexibility is awesome, but I'd sacrifice that spellbook in a heartbeat to be a 24-7 flying hentai apocalypse demon.

First Eternal foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: ]something clever]

Okay. I can't do much, but I'll try.

Try looking up some guides. I know there are a few for both sorcerer and warlock.

If you have a nice DM, see if you can use this houserule my DMs use: sorcerers cast as if they were one level higher. This gets them new spell levels at odd levels, like prepared primary casters. It makes sorcerers better without making them wizard-strong, and it isn't such a boost that it makes the sorcerer measurably better compared to weaker classes.

Now, for my real advice: (note that I am not referring to any guides or books for this)

For the "just in case" explosions, you just need to pick up, say, fireball.
    The first rule of sorcery: avoid redundancy. Unless you sepxizalize in blasting, you only should have two or three blasting spells, at different levels (not adjacent levels).
    To make others do your work... The three options are, as you said, mind control, summoning, and the undead.

Enchantment is often considered the second-worst school of magic, after evocation. This is because
    many creatures are immune to enchantment, and a single spell (mind blank) renders it useless.

Conjuration is widely considered the best school, but not because of summoning, though that helps. There are various prestige classes that enhance summoning (Malconvoker comes to mind), and it can be a powerful tactic.

Necromancy is a powerful school, and it has a clear path to leading. I don't know how powerful skeletons can be, but I'm sure there's good material out there for necromancers.

Now the unwelcome advice, where I suggest changing your build:

If you want to be a controller, play a Thrallherd. Best prestige class ever.
    If you want to stay arcane, the Beguiler is a good class for enchantments. Like a cross between an illusionist/enchanter sorcerer and a rogue.
    If you want to be a necromancer, consider the Dread Necromancer class.
    For conjuration, Malconvoker is good, but I don't know that class at all (is it even an arcane PrC?).

Aaaaand this: warlock isn't a good class. It kinda sucks. Even in gestalt, it's not great. Better, maybe, but not great. You probably want a more passive class opposite sorcerer. Personally, I recommend Incarnum. It's a cool, fun subsystem that is weak alone, but great for gestalt. And it has a necromantic prestige class.
    Other good gestalts for sorerer might be rogue (or play a Beguiler) or factotum.
    If you want to replace your warlock with something blastier, there's the Dragonfire Adept, aka the wannabe dragon warlock.

Hope I could help!
    Jon Snow and Ghost avatar (not currently in use) by Gurgleflep 15370262 328.
    How to play a monster.

I am currently Very Busy, and having limited D&D activity, so I am currently inactive.
    I got a long signature!
    DFTBA! Smilies!