New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Around the Great Wheel

"You. One. That didn't answer the question at all. Two; stay out of my head. You have something to say, say it so all can hear. Basic courtesy."
    The gnome stares at Carinthia as if she had challenged him. His shoulders set and his eyes glare defiantly at her. Finally, he sighs, shakes his head, looking self-conscious.Reluctantly he reaches into his bag, pulls out a quill and a bound tome that looks almost exactly like a spellbook. He turns to the next blank page, and writes.

With practiced efficiency, his note take little time at all. It's as if he is quite used to scribbling quick notes. He holds it out for Carinthia and any others that care to look to see.

The gift of speech was stolen from me long ago. Telepathy is a necessity. Your thoughts and your emotions are your own inviolable space that I can only read as any other does: by watching and by intuition.

I know not who we are. We are who we are, and together we might be adventurers. As for who I am, you may refer to me as the Tiger's Shadow. I am a swordsman of great skill, and am on my way to become a Master of the Ninefold Path. Perhaps I'll even become a swordmaster one day.

I feel no need to say more.

As he holds the paper out for all to read, the shadows around the gnome elongate, then shift and distort into a nimbus of shadowy figures, and they shift into a myriad of cats jumping and shifting about. His skins darkens, his eyes fade into grey, and if the gnome moved at all, it would be nearly impossible to tell where he was going to move.

Spoiler: Martial Lore (trained only) DC 11, no retry
    Show
    It would seem as though the gnome has entered the Island of Blades stance, although the shadows are playfully stylized to look like cats, something that most certainly wouldn't happen in combat. The skin-darkening effect, however, is something that does not normally happen in this stance..
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2015-01-28 at 03:43 AM.
    GreedLing avatar by Ceika
    Playing Thorn in Knee Breakers

more

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

"If he prefers to stay silent than I see no reason to harp on him about that. Respect for other creatures is a form of love and is worthy of being of protected; I would recommend you apologize to him for this uncouth display. I, personally, would be honored for him to accompany me to the market to equip myself for this adventure. We shall hopefully return shortly. Shall we Master Shadow?" Ryloj gestures towards the door.
    Last edited by ZamielVanWeber; 2015-01-27 at 10:33 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

"Carinthia's concern is equally as valid as the Shadow's necessity," Mote rasps. "Beings who can speak into the mind can often bend it, as well. But I believe the matter should be settled with the Shadow. Sir gnome, you may speak into my head at your leisure." His beady black gaze intensifies. "But if I find you acting on information you should not know, we will revisit this conversation, and it shall be even less pleasant for you than whatever you find within my mind."

To Serena, he squawks once. "Limbo," he says. "I'm unfamiliar with it beyond the name. A chaotic place, you say? I suppose it cannot be as bad as all that, even if it is not my baliwack. Let me join Master Ryloj for a brief prayer, if such a thing is acceptable, and then I shall be ready to begin our epic journey."

He tilts his head again after he flaps over toward Ryloj, turning it mostly behind him to address Serena. "By the by, where do good wizards go when they are killed by hordes of orcs? The answer is somewhat important to me."
    Mandible Bones, the Worst Pirate Ever.
    I prepared explosive rum this morning.
    Homebrew 3.5 base class: The Iron Chef

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

"I am afraid that my knowledge of things arcane is quite limited, but I honestly see no harm in circumnavigating a disability. Even if things go bad I have defenses I can extend to others. Besides, this trip with him seems like the perfect time to bond a little. Trust is going to be critical for our quest to success; I believe all of us will be tested by places, things, and indeed deities that we do not like and have no desire to deal with. Friendship may be, at times, our only weapon. We should start now."
    Last edited by ZamielVanWeber; 2015-01-27 at 06:59 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground

Carinthia sighs. "By all means let us start something now." She looks Ryloj up and down; appraising his build and colouring. "Divine Ryloj; I'll not pray to your god, for I've not the smallest clue who they might be. But I'll go shopping for your shirt while you're so preoccupied, and maybe get a feel for what place we are in." She lands next to the pale woman with the odd eyes and hair. "Factor...Cinis is it?" Not a good name that. Who gave it to her? "Pray accompany me. Best we don't scatter too much in a new place; and you've said little thus far. I would hear more from you."

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

"I wouldn't call it preoccupied so much as liking to keep a little dignity. I mean, I could just complete the process and take my pants off, but that would be a step in the wrong direction. As for my goddess, she is the Destroyer of Death and Bringer of Eternal Love, Evening Glory. It is her teaching that love should not die, but live forever preserved in its perfection. I take no offense if you do not wish to pray to her; eternal love is not for everyone, although I wish it were. I just strive to find those for whom love eternal is a good fit and bring them its gift." A warm glow surrounds Ryloj. "I am ready for the journey; let us away."

Spoiler
    Show
    I activate my Protective Aura
    Last edited by ZamielVanWeber; 2015-01-28 at 08:34 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37

Carinthia gives the priest a sideways look. She isn't sure but maybe this was starting to sound a little morbid. "I thought all love was eternal as long as voices sound, colours flow, words are read and memory remains.", she says in a conversational tone. "Anyway; nice halation. So we're getting started then? Ma'am Serena, I hope if we get separated somehow we can meet up again here. If we have to ask to find this place, what would it be called on the street?"

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Mote caws, uncomfortable on the floor, but not yet having gotten the hang of hovering. Every few moments, he shakes the bangle on his leg again, waiting.

"Love endures so long as we fools are around to remember it," he opines. "Records can preserve it, to the best of my knowledge, Dame Carinthia. But I think Sir Ryloj is speaking of a more... enduring eternity."

9. - Top - End - #39

MindFlayer

"So long as you know where you want to go, Sigil's roads are likely to take you there. This is the Temple of Doors, often called the Temple of the Lock and Key by the casual types. The exterior is designed to imitate the Spire rising from the Outlands atop which Sigil sits, and is visible from almost any part of the vast city. Still, there are quite a few 'seemingly infinitely tall' structures in this city, so take care. Incidentally, I recommend you be on guard depending on the neighborhood you visit. Sigil is as varied as the Great Wheel itself, and those members of the more Chaotic or Evil districts would delight in taking advantage of unaccustomed Primes as yourself. They know not the great fate you hold, Champions of Another Plane."

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Much obliged Miss Serena. If you want we can continue our discussion while walking around. I am sure someone can provide us with directions to places of shopping and perhaps to places of worship. I would like to take in this city a bit before heading to Xaos. I do not mean to demean the mission, but this is a rare opportunity to observe quite a bit of persons in an unusual habitat is something that would be unwise to pass up. We may glean something of use here in our explorations." Ryloj starts heading for the door.

11. - Top - End - #41

"Torso-covering clothing, for example." remarks Carinthia brightly as she follows. "Anybody wish to accompany me in finding a non-Evil clothing store? Not that an Evil shirt probably wouldn't be stylish, but I'm sure the prices would be murder."

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

Ryloj groans. "That. was. awful. Besides, I thought you liked what you saw. You aren't exactly winning anything clothing contests yourself. He gives Carinthia a wink. Sadly the armor I will need to pick up will obscure the view you were so enjoying earlier. My apologies. He gives a mock bow, straightens, and slips out the door.
    Last edited by ZamielVanWeber; 2015-01-30 at 08:52 PM.

13. - Top - End - #43

Carinthia just raises her eyebrows at Ryloj as she walks to the door. "Why, Divine. Such forwardness. And I'm not even dead. For the record, my armour was picked out for me by the late Mistress Rhaetia. I would say I had theories about her preferences, if her preferences hadn't been open and confirmed.

"Anyway. I had what you might call a regimented upbringing. I've seen plenty I liked better. Even on the men. Excuse me; Ma'am Serena."
    She opens the door, wanting to get a good look at the place in which they've found themselves.

14. - Top - End - #44

MindFlayer

Serena says nothing as the party exits, though her furrowed brow suggests that maybe her faith in higher powers' plans has been slightly tested.

The cathedral doors are deceptively heavy, and there may be some enchantment on them that allows you to throw them open easily. There must be an enchantment, you realize, to mute the sound of the roaring city around you because you are hit by it full force out in the open. The streets are packed with creatures the likes of which you've never seen, be they tall spindly monochromatic creatures with ceramic masks or short and squat imps rolling over each other. You occasionally think you see a familiar animal or creature, but an iridescent glow or sinking shadow suggests it's more than meets the eye. No one seems to be alone, and the air is filled with the sound of argument and heated discussion. Some of it seems to be philosophical, but the majority you gather is based on trading and bartering. Tall purple-skinned backpackers constantly pull junk from their satchels and make deals with passers-by, and they must be good at it for all the gold they're raking in. The street branches off into many more, and like a system of capillaries the lifeblood of commerce stretches out as far as the eye can see. Between each block are buildings, and Serena did not exaggerate when she said they aimed for impossible heights. Buildings made of brick, wood, and stone were prevalent, but so were buildings made of light, fire and water, force, and if you had to guess probably physical Law also made their towering presence known. Not every building seems to be one of commerce, as haloed Illumians exit what looks like a library and something very long and thin enters the double doors of a tavern.

The cathedral stands behind you, its simple white exterior a refreshing sight compared to the chaos of the market before you. So far none of these creatures has taken an interest in you, since it looks like you've got nothing to sell.

15. - Top - End - #45

Carinthia purses her lips. "Right. Protocols. We stay together. We don't tell anyone we're new in town, even if it is going to be pretty obvious. We don't buy anything that we're not specifically in need of and we don't sign anything. If anyone invites you to join a card game or come upstairs to meet some pretty people; just say it's against your religion. All of them." Her eyes flicker as she cycles through Detect Magic and See Invisible and back to normal vision again, just to make sure there wasn't even more here than meets the eye. Then she rises about fifteen feet into the air and hovers demurely, waiting on the rest of the party to proceed.

"Pickpockets." She explains briefly. "Let's go find Ryloj some clothing, then we can say some prayers to lovely death or deathly love or whatever, and then let's find this Xoan place."

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

Gilli has been fuming in the background while Carinthia was talking to her shirtless friend. Oh sure, not only am I going to shut you off from a decent chance at communicating with me in any convenient way, im also going to tell you what to do. As if she has all the answers and is going to keep anything unexpected from getting in our way.

The gnome waits for Carinthia to get a decent way away--more than twelve paces just to be sure--and faded into the crowds.

Spoiler: rolls
    Show
    Hide: (1d20+24)[41]
    Gather Information (1d20-1)[12]

He specifically goes in search of some gorgeous creatures in an upstairs room wanting to play card games.

more

17. - Top - End - #47

MindFlayer

Gilli manages to blend into the crowds seamlessly, becoming entirely non-intrusive. Probability suggests that he's not the most stealthy creature in the multiverse, but he's giving it a good shot. Especially since no one is actively trying to look for him he's able to dodge past various vendors and travelers without being stopped and bothered. Of course, being as hidden as he is means it's not the easiest thing in the world to collect information, and he'll have to rely on chancing upon hearing some rather than going up and asking. The streets are long and curve around, mimicking the shape of the Great Wheel itself and seeming to have districts based on the corresponding planes. Go far enough to the northeast (is this northeast? Material Plane directions have no actual basis here, but for some reason that seems appropriate) and you venture into areas of handmade buildings carved into massive trees where you hear the roars of people practicing with weapons, butchers selling cuts of exotic meats from the Beastlands, and any number of blacksmiths creating top tier weapons and armor for the warriors in Ysgard. Moving further west it becomes calmer and the tree-buildings are sparser, opening up to wide gardens with pontificating scholars and musing artists. Much further "south" is where you find the general area that you're looking for-it's not quite seedy, but it has a slightly edgy quality to it. The buildings are mostly stone and fire, and there's more gambling than trade going on it seems. It appears to be far from straightforward, but from the very little you can tell it doesn't look like anyone's cheating. There seem to be several clubs in this area, and if you're on the lookout for gorgeous creatures there's one in particular that seems to be attracting a number of darkly beautiful winged women and suave men with slick black hair and cloven hooves for feet, among others. There is a large, hideous, heavyset demon of some kind with a black polearm and with metal plating nailed into his flesh. Perhaps he's a bouncer of some kind? He seems fairly sharp-eyed, but he certainly hasn't noticed you and you expect it wouldn't be hard to slip past him to get inside.
    Spoiler: Time spent
    Show
    As per Gather Information, it took you (1d4+1)[5] hours to find this place.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Ryloj is stares briefly in wonderment but quickly hides his feelings. "The castle of my country is the size of this temple; my home town has a fraction, not even, of this size. I guess I am still a farm boy at heart." Ryloj casts his eyes down when Carinthia floats up. "Meaning no disrespect Miss Carinthia, I am just trying not to stare up your skirt. And I would appreciate it if you would cease taunting my faith. My ill state of dress is one thing, I am up for good-natured ribbing as much as the next person, but I do not appreciate insults to my goddess. If we are to be comrades I will need you to cease this at once, please." He looks up into Carinthia's face with a harsh sincerity before blushing and quickly looking back down.

"Master Shadow, I am glad you can join us for this trip, I am afraid I may need help seeing where I am going with her trying to turn me funny colors." He waits a little bit for Tiger's Shadow's reply. When he gets none he looks around confused, "Master Shadow, are you there? Master Shadow... Oh boy." He heaves a sigh. "Goddess give me strength."
    Last edited by ZamielVanWeber; 2015-01-31 at 02:10 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Mote flaps along, perching on various stonework and awnings as he keeps up with the party. His flight doesn't seem as awkward as a normal bird his size, but it's still pretty average. The raven avoids walking along the ground; the few times he is obligated to, he moves slowly and awkwardly.

His head is a blur of motion, black eyes apparently trying to capture all of Sigil at once.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Ryloj glances upwards at the raven briefly. "Sir Mote, tell me of yourself. What was your home like? Was it as grand as this place?" Ryloj concentrates for a moment and the light around him fades. He utters a brief prayer and then the light returns.

Spoiler
    Show
    I use my guidance spell-like ability on myself.
    Last edited by ZamielVanWeber; 2015-01-31 at 04:02 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Troll in the Playground

Gilli looks around at this inn and decides that fey would be interesting to see. But that demon?Nope, he would have none of it. Best to slip on by...

Spoiler: checks
    Show
    (1d20+24)[38]

more

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Nikola

As the group walks along, Nikola keeps an eye out for anything of interest regarding Limbo, psionics, and the like. He ignores the arguing, lost in his thoughts as he considers the task ahead.

23. - Top - End - #53

MindFlayer

Gilli's small frame sticks to the shadows and the edges of walls, and seem to manage to go undetected by the lumbering creature with the nailed-on armor. The fat creature doesn't offer a lot of space to get by, but Gilli's thin body manages to get through and into the building.

The building is extremely hot, and while it's not enough to be immediately harmful it causes Gilli to sweat profusely. It might be in his best interest to find some water before too long, or leave if he starts getting dizzy. What's not helping with the heat is that the air is heavily perfumed with cloying mixtures of incense and cigar smoke, the latter thicker than the former. The room you're in seems to be a reception area, the walls decorated with red and black silk and the floor a checkerboard. Velvet lounging chairs are occupied by all manner of slightly eerie humanoids, chatting with drinks in hand and being waited on by what look like lumps of slime which are being treated very poorly by the clientele. Further in the back there is a doorway leading to a darker, larger room through which you hear clattering dice, while there is a stairway on the right side which one of the beautiful winged women is ascending.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

It's not hard to find a clothing shop. It's harder to stay out of them. Wherever you go you're bustled and shoved either accidentally by larger creatures who are entering stores themselves, or by the broad-fingered hands of the tall purple merchants who eagerly drag you into their portable stalls. You could just go with the easiest thing to find, but if you're looking for something in particular you'll need some guidance or direction to find what you seek.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

Ryloj wanders around, looking for something that sells simple and cheap clothing, hopefully something cottony. He will offer up prayers to anyone that wants or needs it and will engage any celestials he sees in friendly conversation, while trying to avoid any obviously evil characters.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Gather Information to find a clothing store (1d20+3)[20]
    Knowledge (The Planes) to identify outsiders (1d20+7)[9]
    Diplomacy in case I interact with those outsiders meaningfully (to try to get more information from them) (1d20+19)[28]

Edit: Ryloj will pick up his items as he shops around and hunt down the temple of a good god. He would like to talk to the priests there on a more academic level about Sainthood, since the ones at his home temple were unable to fully explain it.
    Last edited by ZamielVanWeber; 2015-02-02 at 10:43 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

Gilli climbs part of the staircase and watches the patrons of the bar to see what they pay for their drinks. He then walks to the bar and gruffly--if not unkindly--orders some plain water--with some ice--from the slime creatures and then pays just over what seems to be the median price. He then heads into the room with clsttering dice to see what may be transpiring here.

He keeps his ears open about anything regarding Limbo.

more

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, young Sir Ryloj, my home was nothing like this place. And yet, very like it," Mote says, hopping and flapping from masonry to overhang, closer to the party. "In that, I mean that it was a city — the great city of Greyhawk. You may have heard of it." He ducks his head. "But it was not like this 'Sigil.' Nothing so... outlandish."

"And I had family —*not my nestmates, of course, because after some time I had grown beyond them. But my wizard, Alysra, and her party — good people all." If it were possible for a raven to mutter — and it must be, for Mote is doing so — there's something that sounds like "cursed be those orcs." And then Mote does not speak for a while.

27. - Top - End - #57

MindFlayer

In the fire building, Gilli sees payment in all kinds of valuables. Most of it is standard currency, on occasion he sees less liquid funds like gemstones and jewelry being passed back and forth, and at one point he sees a tiny-winged corpulent creature with a mouth full of sharp teeth who looks like he's hosting a party of sorts pay for an enormous amount of food, wine, and presumably pleasurable company with a single dull black gem.

The slimy creature seems to lack comprehension of what's happening, but it brings you your water and won't leave until you press two copper pieces into its soft gel-like skin. Now that you've made yourself noticeable though, you can feel a few sharp eyes on you, especially as you enter the dice room. It appears to be a gambling den, thick with cigar smoke, and stretching back farther than the exterior of the building suggested possible. There are any number of dice games being played near you, but there seem to be cards, roulette, and billiards further in the back. These creatures are definitely not just playing for sport, and piles of chips are trading clawed hands with frequency. You hear the click of high heels on smooth tile ground just behind you.
    "Well well, someone's been a little tricky, haven't they? Emphasis on the little." a sneering but gentle voice notes from behind you. It's one of the darkly beautiful women, with long auburn hair and a dress that is far too tight for her bust. She reaches down to ruffle your hair. "But we like 'tricky' here. We don't get many Primes who want to play, and fewer get in without someone noticing. Better not be hiding anything up your sleeve, little man. We don't treat cheaters with any courtesy in this district. Shoot straight. Figuratively and literally." She gives the glass of water a sidelong glance. "Well hello big spender. I hope that's not all you're coming in with. The buy-in at these tables isn't cheap, though we're flexible with payment. And we can always spot you a loan if you think you're gutsy enough to win it back. Or...perhaps you've come to fill a different appetite?" she suggests provocatively.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's not hard to find temples to Good gods, so long as you start heading north. Directly north you come across what at first look like cold marble columns, but looking up you see hanging baskets of flowers strung between the buildings. The presence of butterflies and fruit-laden vines curling down around the outside makes you think that maybe there are gardens on the rooftops, and there are stairs carved into the pillars so that you may ascend. The direct commerce has died down, but the streets are still filled now with varieties of creatures in loose robes engaged in fierce discussion. A fat gray creature with a horn atop its head is discussing the necessity of educational grading systems to a lion-faced man who seems like he won't be won over very easily. Three tiny gold elephants lifted by dragonfly wings race by followed by an enormous gray elephant with bat wings. The big elephant manages to pounce on one of the small ones, and then becomes a small gold elephant as the one who was pounced upon now becomes large and gray before chasing down the other two ahead of it.

Looking higher into the bright sky above the pillars, you see dozens of floating buildings tethered to the pillars by long ribbon-like platforms. On the front of the buildings are divine symbols. Among the most prominent is Pelor's shining golden sun, but it looks like deities that you might expect to see further west like Heironeous or further east like Kord also have temples here, though none are as large as Pelor's.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ah, yes, Pelor. Definitely in my top five list of gods. Their priests were always good to me. Well, most of the time." He begins mumbling his list of favorite gods. "Hmm. Yes. Boccob at the top, of course. Hmm. Moradin, out of respect for dear, departed Haargor. Wee Jas most days or at least Alysra said she was half-decent. Hmm. I once met a Vecnan that I didn't despise. But she didn't give me free healing, so he goes somewhere below Pelor on the list."

Mote looks around to see if there's any temples to magic deities — not that he really knows any, beyond the three he's mentioned.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

My education on the gods of good is less than comprehensive. I was hoping to learn more about... a topic from one of them. Ryloj looks around nervously. There are questions I need answered that I just could not get at home. I am hoping that someone here can tell me more.
    Last edited by ZamielVanWeber; 2015-02-07 at 12:33 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Well well, someone's been a little tricky, haven't they? ...We don't get many Primes who want to play, and fewer get in without someone noticing. Better not be hiding anything up your sleeve, little man. We don't treat cheaters with any courtesy in this district. Shoot straight. Figuratively and literally. I hope that's not all you're coming in with. The buy-in at these tables isn't cheap, though we're flexible with payment. And we can always spot you a loan if you think you're gutsy enough to win it back. Or...perhaps you've come to fill a different appetite?
    As soon as Gilli hears her voice, he slinks away from her reach, graceful as a cat's movements. As he does so, the gnome activates his Hunter's Sense, gaining Scent--all the better to read others with.

He looks at the woman a bit before responding into her mind:

I have little need to waste my money on drinks that cloud the mind and lead to worse decisions.

As for appetites, the one I have come to satisfy is knowledge. Specifically, what knowledge of Limbo do you have? And if not, who would you know who does?
    Last edited by ~Corvus~; 2015-02-07 at 03:17 PM.

more