New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: The Forgotten Forge, Group 1 [IC]

Quote Originally Posted by esorscher View Post
    Wrench thumps his chest. "I've got the schema in here," he says.
    "That's good. We best keep it safe." Alamryn smiles.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarai View Post
    "Right here," Kara mutters. She rushed to Connell's side as soon as the warforged fell. There was nothing to be done about the boss. She rifles through his pockets and pouches. Connell was dead, but he was also two weeks behind on paying her. If the Lanterns cut her loose for this failure, it'd be nice not to starve. "I guess we should split up his loot. Cannith won't miss it, yanno." Kara dangles his coin pouch from her left hand to cover the palming of gold in her right.

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, Kara's gonna palm fifteen gold for her efforts to protect Connell. That brings her share up to 43.5 and the rest of the group's share down to 23.5 gp each. And also gives her pretty close to average starting gold.
    "Oh no..." The half-elf gasps and starts shifts her weight from one foot to another, unsure of what to do or say.
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

2. - Top - End - #482
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

The dagger slips from Elle's grasp and drops to the ground with a clatter as the enemy warforged falls. She lets out a sigh of relief, but it is a hollow sound, devoid of feeling. Defeating Saber did not bring the human back.

Connell... his name was Connell.

The urgency of the current situation strikes the halfling out of her dark thoughts, and without a sound, she inspects and meticulously bandages each of the ugly gashes Fenix earned throughout the battle, curiously noting that a few of them seems to have partially closed on their own in the short time since they were inflicted, most of the blood flow staunched. Hearing Wrench's words of triumph in the dark moment, the cleric's voice is anything but cheerful in her reply.

"That's it? Your companion... Connell... is dead... and Fenix is in no shape to fight another battle. There may still be untold dangers lurking down here, not to mention the risk of another ambush by the agents of the Lord of Blades once that strange detached part of this 'Saber' ensures they know of our condition... and who knows whether the warforged I arrived with just fled or decided to defect to our enemy and ambush us itself."

Elle takes a shallow breath before continuing, slower and even quieter than before.

"So... yes... that is it. I see little reason to let our guards down, lest we all end up like your friend."

The vassal walks over towards Connell's body, lightly grasping Kara's arm, though whether to offer comfort or to comfort herself she does not know. Whispering, she offers a last apology to the man she never really knew who was placed in her ward by the Lady Elaydren; whose survival had been her responsibility.

"There was nothing I could do. I am sorry."
    Last edited by TheDragonmaster; 2015-09-12 at 05:03 PM.
    Until further notice, expect sporadic breaks in posting.

Ernest Gary Gygax (1938 – 2008)
    David Lance Arneson (1947 – 2009)
    Dungeons & Dragons (1974 – ∞)

3. - Top - End - #483
    Colossus in the Playground

Fenix frowns disapprovingly at Kara. "Thank you," he says to Elle, smiling at her before he says, "We'd better get out of here. The rats will come to investigate soon, for one thing."

4. - Top - End - #484

Suitably chastised, Wrench says nothing. He follows the rest of the group out of the sewers and back to Lady d'Cannith.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

5. - Top - End - #485

You climb back up the slope to reach the sewer level. A familiar goblin merchant looks at you curiously as you make your way back to the surface, but doesn't approach. It's night when you emerge. At the Broken Anvil, one of the halflings ushers you to Lady Elaydren's private room again, not commenting on your bedraggled appearance.

"I see you are two less," Elaydren says softly, looking at Fenix's wounds. "It was as dangerous as we feared, then."

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Elle remains mostly silent on the way out through the sewers, staying close to the d'Cannith knight in case his condition worsens. Her gloomy mood improves somewhat once below the bare sky, but she remains somewhat distant and reserved as the group reaches the Broken Anvil.

When presented to the Lady Elaydren, the halfling curtseys without a word, then stands back to let the others talk.

7. - Top - End - #487

When no one speaks for long enough for it to become awkward, Fenix speaks up finally. "Yes, we fought bugs and rats and golems and warforged, but we have the schema." He looks at Wrench.

8. - Top - End - #488

"Yes. At great personal risk and with much loss, we have retrieved this... thing. Before we hand it over to you, perhaps in recognition of our sacrifice and labor, you could tell us why the Lord of Blades would send a handful of agents after it?" His voice has a certain edge to it, though based on his reactions to the loss of their companions in the sewers, it is not clear whether he is playing it up to get a better negotiating position, or is sincerely upset.
    Last edited by esorscher; 2015-09-15 at 08:13 AM.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

9. - Top - End - #489

"If I knew, I would, but I don't. I know only that it can do nothing by itself, and the branch of House Cannith in Aundair has multiple agents searching for all the schemas. The Lord of Blades may know more about what they can do if assembled, or he may simply think it will probably be something useful to him--as we think it's a safe bet it will be something useful to us, as well as potentially dangerous in the wrong hands." She focuses her attention on Wrench now.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

While remaining silent, the vassal raises an eyebrow in response to the tone of the lithe warforged's question. Suddenly curious, her focus too shifts towards Wrench.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Kara remains completely silent, but in reality, her mind is in overdrive. Connell dead meant mission failure. Mission failure meant no more Lantern Brill. What the hell was she going to do? She didn't have marketable skills! Not anything legal, anyway. Maybe the Tyrants were hiring. Kara knew a guy who knew a guy who would know. Maybe. Richter was an option. He'd never let her live this down. Forget that. Nineteen years old, and she had to break into the black market all on her-

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Elaydren
    "If I knew, I would, but I don't. I know only that it can do nothing by itself, and the branch of House Cannith in Aundair has multiple agents searching for all the schemas. The Lord of Blades may know more about what they can do if assembled, or he may simply think it will probably be something useful to him--as we think it's a safe bet it will be something useful to us, as well as potentially dangerous in the wrong hands."
    Wait. Wait. Okay, this- This she could work with. The Lanterns wouldn't throw her a parade, but it might be enough to satisfy Tiercel. Especially if she was... liberal... with the circumstances surrounding Connell's death. Okay. Brill might still have a job. Too bad. Panic was a fair sight better to deal with than guilt.

12. - Top - End - #492

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by esorscher View Post
    "Yes. At great personal risk and with much loss, we have retrieved this... thing. Before we hand it over to you, perhaps in recognition of our sacrifice and labor, you could tell us why the Lord of Blades would send a handful of agents after it?" His voice has a certain edge to it, though based on his reactions to the loss of their companions in the sewers, it is not clear whether he is playing it up to get a better negotiating position, or is sincerely upset.
    Alamryn hangs her head and shifts her weight from side to side, never quite finding a comfortable position to stand in. She's not sure how she should feel about the quiet man's death, she'd only seen him for the first time yesterday, and she couldn't remember ever directly speaking to him. Still, it should be sad that a life ended, shouldn't it? Even if that was part of the natural order of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    "If I knew, I would, but I don't. I know only that it can do nothing by itself, and the branch of House Cannith in Aundair has multiple agents searching for all the schemas. The Lord of Blades may know more about what they can do if assembled, or he may simply think it will probably be something useful to him--as we think it's a safe bet it will be something useful to us, as well as potentially dangerous in the wrong hands." She focuses her attention on Wrench now.
    The druid stays silent for now as well, though she studies the Elaydren's expressions carefully, trying to remember what she was taught about finding signs to determine one's motives.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can I do this? Ignore, if not.
    Sense Motive: (1d20+2)[12]
    Last edited by CWater; 2015-09-15 at 05:34 PM.

13. - Top - End - #493

Spoiler: Alamryn
    Show
    She wants the schema, quite badly, but that's to be expected whether she's telling the truth or not. You can't really tell whether she's sincere about anything else.

14. - Top - End - #494

Being a machine made of metal, Wrench's mental faculties are considerable, and he processes information with exceptional speed. In a brief moment he weighs the possibilities for him, specifically, rather than for the group at large. No doubt he could make a considerable profit defecting and bringing the schema to the Lord of Blades, where he would be at best welcomed and at worst tolerated, as opposed to his existence now, where he is at best tolerated and at worst rejected. The thought of life after that crucible moment is distasteful to him, however, yet he is not ready to relinquish the obviously valuable schema just yet. "When you hired us, you mentioned a generous reward, but you were vague on the specific risks we would incur. Before I tell you where the schema is, what are you prepared to offer?"
    Last edited by esorscher; 2015-09-16 at 08:07 AM.

15. - Top - End - #495

"Was I?" Lady Elaydren looks puzzled. "I could have sworn I said...Anyway, two hundred gold pieces each, in addition to what I gave you before you set out, and the favor of my House."

16. - Top - End - #496

"Yes, I remember now. But, now, hold on a minute. The 50 platinum you gave us was for saving the provost's life, as you said. How many lives are at risk if the schema falls into the wrong hands? More than two, I'd imagine. I can only imagine the public relations headache that would result when word leaked of your involvement--not to mention your own guilt. Considering what we went through, the costs material and emotional, I think 100 platinum each is more than reasonable." Wrench says, taking a risk on the negotiation. They do have the bargaining power in the situation.
    Last edited by esorscher; 2015-09-16 at 08:10 AM.

17. - Top - End - #497

Griffon

Alamryn's eyes almost fall out of their sockets when she hears Wrench's haggling. Was... was that fair? She couldn't tell. But she says nothing, just nervously plays with a loose thread in her clothing.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Kara remains silent. She admires Wrench's moxie, but if she wants to keep her job, she can't have the Lady Elaydren remembering her as the aggressively negotiating mercenary.

19. - Top - End - #499

"Renegotiating an agreed-upon contract right before payment? That's sharp practice, to say the least," Elaydren says mildly. "Does this represent a consensus position of all of you?"

"No!" Fenix says sharply, after taking a few seconds to figure out what Elaydren just said. Elaydren looks at Elle. If Elle answers the question, Elaydren will look at Alamryn.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Either he has no idea how to interact with us flesh-beasts, or he knows exactly what he is doing dealing with a house Cannith agent... either way, I guess we will find out.

Her slightly amused expression revealing little about whether she approves of Wrench's negotiating tactics, Elle's voice sounds intrigued more than anything.

"After insisting on a contract in writing, I am hardly in a position to renegotiate. That being said, neither I nor the nameless warforged you sent alongside me on this mission seem to be in a position to produce the schema for you at this time."

Taking a symbolic step backwards, the halfling looks to Alamryn and Kara.

21. - Top - End - #501

Elaydren looks at Alamryn expectantly, and should Alamryn respond, moves her gaze to Kara.

22. - Top - End - #502

Griffon

"Oh, I...", a shade of red rises to Alamryn's cheeks when the attention is on her, "that is, it was quite dangerous... One of us died! And many were wounded. Still, I don't know if... I mean", she throws a quick glance at the others, "I'm afraid I can't really say if a raise in payment, or how high, would be appropriate. I... I suppose it is for your conscience to decide."

Spoiler
    Show
    Aid another Diplomacy?
    (1d20)[4] (this is without modifiers as unfortunately I can't look at sheets from my phone)

23. - Top - End - #503
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Poor Alamryn. She was as out of her element as Kara would be in some hippie forest grove. Kara takes a step forward as the Lady Elaydren's eye moves to her. "My friend has a point. A renegotiation would not be out of line, given how much blood we've shed for the schema, and how it is clearly not a mere historical curiosity as we previously thought." Kara bites down on her anger. Elaydren was, by all rumors, a good person. She wouldn't lie, not this egregiously. "Your foresight in sending a group to retrieve it bodes well for Cannith South and yourself. I have the utmost confidence that you will do right by your subordinates." She offers a deferential bow and steps back.

Maybe Elaydren would do better by them than Kara had for poor Connell.

Spoiler
    Show
    I too will attempt to render aid. I think my modifier is a +3, but that might just be for Bluff. So naked die and I can add the appropriate modifiers when I get home in 8 hours. Or you can sooner.

(1d20)[7]

24. - Top - End - #504

"Well, it seems you're not completely alone in pushing for renegotiation anyway, though you're far from having a pre-discussed consensus," Elaydren says to Wrench. "Incidentally, the branch of the House I belong to is Cannith West, hence my relative lack of resources here. I'll need to contact my House; I don't have enough money here now to pay more than we agreed on. If you come back tomorrow, I should have my superior's answer. Where can I reach you if I need to contact you in the meantime?"

25. - Top - End - #505

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    "Well, it seems you're not completely alone in pushing for renegotiation anyway, though you're far from having a pre-discussed consensus," Elaydren says to Wrench. "Incidentally, the branch of the House I belong to is Cannith West, hence my relative lack of resources here. I'll need to contact my House; I don't have enough money here now to pay more than we agreed on. If you come back tomorrow, I should have my superior's answer. Where can I reach you if I need to contact you in the meantime?"
    "You're not from Breland?", Alamryn asks, sounding surprised. "Oh, and I can be reached through the local Warning Guild", she adds hastily, cheeks flaring again.

26. - Top - End - #506

"I'll be around. I have no residence," Wrench says, the virtue of never needing rest. "but I can make myself available at the time you require."

27. - Top - End - #507
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Elegant to so clearly divert responsibility... but perhaps more sympathetic a response than I would have expected... I wonder if she is planning something... perhaps our dear Wrench will be sent on a wild goose chase to claim that raise of his.

The halfling continues to observe the conversation, an outsider, though a smirk spreads across her lips. The question was clearly not directed towards her, and if the Lady for some reason wanted to reach her again anyway, she already knew where to find her.

Thinking back on the last couple hours, Elle can not help but to relive a trace of the rush of excitement she experienced earlier. Though she obviously felt sorry for the dead man being gnawed by rats in the sewers this very moment, she did not exactly mourn either. People died every day in the City of Towers, she knew that better than most, and unlike the vast majority of them, at least Connell had been aware of the risk he was taking. That they were all taking.

No use denying to myself that deep down, some part of me enjoyed this little adventure... but the return to status quo will be a sorely missed relief. These last few hours have felt like days.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    Assuming the Lady Elaydren reached Elle through the Healers Guild in the first place.
    Last edited by TheDragonmaster; 2015-09-25 at 02:20 AM.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

"I'll be at the-" Kara's brain fumbles for a place to stay. She was technically homeless. "Broken Anvil, for now."

29. - Top - End - #509

Elaydren watches, unsmiling, as you leave.

The next day, you all find your way back to her. "I've spoken to my superiors, and they're willing to go as high as two hundred and fifty gold each," she says coolly to Wrench. "But no higher. If that's not acceptable, we will be unfortunately unable to do business."

30. - Top - End - #510

"Well, I appreciate your generosity," Wrench says. "Business is business." Once they all have their shares of gold, he will turn over the schema.