New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: What would happen if one of us actually got into a world with magic?

After spending the majority of my free time over the last two years building a metal shop from the ground up, I'd hope to the Host that I end up in Eberron, or at least somewhere with Artificer training. I'm fairly certain that the steel lathe, steam force, and basic electrical engines would be of interest to the Cannith, and I'd love to trade mass production/interchangeable parts ideas for levels in Artificer. Not because I want to break the world (the House can do that just fine by itself) but because I want to be a robot, (always have, always will) and renegade mastermaker is the best way to get there.

If it turns out that I'm the Chosen One, or that I'm not in a world with access to the Artificer class... well, I've been hunting and fishing all my life. I suppose I could make a good Scout, especially with the aforementioned Gingery shop experience allowing me to build basic firearms easily, though I can handle a bow well enough (I've never harvested anything with one, but I have built and fired them.) I'd prefer to be a Wizard, but something tells me that magic is a bit different than the dissociative process, so that would be a start from scratch kind of thing.

As for the "survive a few days" bit, I suppose Survival is a trained skill for me, and I carry a multitool with me everywhere. A multitool is a pretty bad weapon, but it can build an atlatl in minutes. Getting the throwing arc down might take a few sticks, but even a fire hardened spear tip will get a bunny. If I'm in a city, I hope that someone has the decency to get a cleric with comprehend languages around instead of braining me with a mace, or I just pretend to be mute till I pick up the language. If I'm in a small town, furs and skins probably sell alright. My only worry is being attacked by something bigger than a possum, as my spear fighting skills are rudimentary at best (the pointy end goes in the bad thing, right?)

One thing I haven't touched upon is psionics. If there's even a hint that psychic power is available, I'd prostitute myself to the nearest psion/psy-artificer in a hot second. Magic from thoughts is basically what I do, but literal magical thoughts? The second I get a chance to literally see an aspect of my personality embodied as a psicrystal? You can bet your sweet bippy I'm jumping on that.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: What would happen if one of us actually got into a world with magic?

If Greyhawk is any indication, we already speak common. Saint Cuthbert is (cannon) from our world.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

?
    Copy this to your signature if you love Jade_Tarem, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Extra Anchovies View Post
    A 20th-level fighter should be able to break rainbows in half with their bare hands and then dual-wield the parts of the rainbow.

Dual-wield the rainbow. Taste the rainbow.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Pixie in the Playground

Griffon

Umm... Anyone read Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court? It's different, of course, as he's not transported to a magical world, but merely back in time. However, I think it's still an excellent read with good ideas still in it to peruse. And to answer this thread's original question, I would do exactly what the dude in this book does, and win

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by griffinpup View Post
    Umm... Anyone read Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court? It's different, of course, as he's not transported to a magical world, but merely back in time. However, I think it's still an excellent read with good ideas still in it to peruse. And to answer this thread's original question, I would do exactly what the dude in this book does, and win
    If I recall correctly, he saved himself from being burned at the stake by having memorized the exact date of a centuries-old solar eclipse in a foreign country? Hmm, I'm not sure I like that plan.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by griffinpup View Post
    The Guardians of the Flame series might be a bit more relevant for our purposes (ie: world-optimization).
    My latest homebrew: Majokko base class and Spellcaster Dilettante feats for D&D 3.5 and Races as Classes for PTU.

Currently Playing
    Raiatari Eikibe - Ghostfoot's RHOD Righteous Resistance