Default What is the best two weapon fighting build

I have already started with a fire genasi fighter
    Str: 14
    Dex: 16
    Con:18
    Int: 10
    Wis:12
    Chr:8
    As you can gest my fighting style is 2wf. I'm using two scimitar's we are playing princes of apocalypse so we should get up around lv 10 I think. I wanted to take 3 lvs in fighter for battlemaster at less. But other then taking fighter to lv5 I really don't find it any interesting.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: What is the best two weapon fighting build

The new Beastmaster sounds like the best choice: with Coordinated Attack and Extra Attack, you'll be attacking three times and your pet will be attacking twice. Trade your STR for WIS.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

My best TWF build doesn't involve any fighter levels. Since you started that way already, my answer becomes invalid.
    Last edited by DivisibleByZero; 2016-09-24 at 07:46 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DivisibleByZero View Post
    My best TWF build doesn't involve any fighter levels. Since you started that way already, my answer becomes invalid.
    Now I'm curious. Does it use the Revised Ranger?
    Spoiler: My Favorite PC's
    Show
    Malik Hammerson-VHuman- Ranger (Hunter) 4/Cleric (War) 4: "MY LIFE SUCKS!"
    Valicus Pyr'Ticosta-High Elf-Wizard (Bladesinger) 9: "You killed my father! And Sister! And a few of my guards! Prepare to die!"
    Zarkelthore Surfacekin-Half Drow-Ranger (Hunter) 6: "What's a Sun? Why are you laughing?"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

I think rogue typically does best with TWF for the added sneak attack chance. Since you started fighter you could always multiclassing from a BM fighter to an AT rogue.

Ranger multi-class might not be so bad either.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Battlemaster Fighter or Hunter Ranger with Horde Breaker is what I'd suggest.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Yeah, my best TWF build isn't fighter either. I'm currently playing Curse of Strahd with a TWF Blood Hunter. (From DM's Guild)
    HEY, WTF HAPPENED TO MY AVATAR?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Draco4472 View Post
    Now I'm curious. Does it use the Revised Ranger?
    Quote Originally Posted by dejarnjc View Post
    I think rogue typically does best with TWF for the added sneak attack chance. Since you started fighter you could always multiclassing from a BM fighter to an AT rogue.
    Dejarnjc was on the right track.
    My personal favorite TWF build is Pal 2 / Arcane Trickster (possibly going Pal6 if the game plans on going long enough, but generally speaking 2 is all you need).
    TWF with sneak attack, spellcasting goodies from trickster, and smites/buffs/emergency heals from pally.
    If you quote me and ask me questions,
    and I continue to not respond,
    it's probably because I have
    you on my Ignore list.
    Congratulations.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

I always prefer mixing a Short Sword with a Scimitar, to get a bit of variance on the damage. While sure, particular weapon damage type isn't as big as it used to be, but I just got so used to mixing it up.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by JumboWheat01 View Post
    I always prefer mixing a Short Sword with a Scimitar, to get a bit of variance on the damage. While sure, particular weapon damage type isn't as big as it used to be, but I just got so used to mixing it up.
    Excellent point. Sometimes I switch to short sword and whip so that I've got a reach weapon in the mix.

Also for Blood Hunters, Rite of the Storm = electric whip!

(Or use Rite of the Flame instead; dur-hur, look guys, I'm a balrog!)
    Last edited by JakOfAllTirades; 2016-09-24 at 11:20 PM.
    HEY, WTF HAPPENED TO MY AVATAR?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin View Post
    As you can gest my fighting style is 2wf. I'm using two scimitar's we are playing princes of apocalypse so we should get up around lv 10 I think. I wanted to take 3 lvs in fighter for battlemaster at less. But other then taking fighter to lv5 I really don't find it any interesting.
    Since you are only going to 10th level, here my suggestion.

fighter 4th level, grab dex ASI for an 18.
    Fighter at 6th level grab resilient wisdom, because I do not need my flaming blender of scimitars charmed, also wisdom 13 can grab ranger later on
    At 7th level grab a level of barbarian for unarmored defense for 18AC, 18 dex and 18 con and rage, do not worry about rage damage you are here for the rage damage reduction when you need it, it will eat up a bonus action to turn it on but lasts 1 min.
    at 8th level grab ranger
    at 9th level grab ranger Hunter's mark and if you use a dagger/hand axe as you off hand weapon you can throw it, hail of thorns also works with a ranged weapon.
    at 10th level grab rogue
    Last edited by djreynolds; 2016-09-25 at 01:08 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Banned

ClericGuy

BM Fighter 6 (Quickest way to get your Dex to 20) plus Vuman for Dual weilder + TWF at 1st.

If Monster Hunter is allowed (UA) go that to 10th and dont look back. Its so good that I'd take Martial adept for an extra sup dice and few more varied manouvers at 8th.

On the off chance you hit 11th, stick with single classed fighter.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    BM Fighter 6 (Quickest way to get your Dex to 20) plus Vuman for Dual weilder + TWF at 1st.

If Monster Hunter is allowed (UA) go that to 10th and dont look back. Its so good that I'd take Martial adept for an extra sup dice and few more varied manouvers at 8th.

On the off chance you hit 11th, stick with single classed fighter.
    This is great build as well. Fighter has the capacity to have max attack stat at 6th. Only the fighter.

Just don't forget resilient wisdom. It's IMO huge.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JumboWheat01 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JakOfAllTirades View Post
    Excellent point. Sometimes I switch to short sword and whip so that I've got a reach weapon in the mix.

Also for Blood Hunters, Rite of the Storm = electric whip!

(Or use Rite of the Flame instead; dur-hur, look guys, I'm a balrog!)
    Yeah, this is a valid point, but what about symmetry???!!!!!

@op: I would try to involve many rogue levels without delay. I think sneak attack works better than the extra attack, when you are already 2wfigthing.
    Last edited by Corran; 2016-09-25 at 09:15 AM.
    Hacks!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    You need to play some Monster Hunter games. You'll quickly learn that symmetry is VASTLY over-rated. Asymmetry is where it's at.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

@op: I would try to involve many rogue levels without delay. I think sneak attack works better than the extra attack, when you are already 2wfigthing.
    This.
    And an AT with a pally dip hardly misses that 1d6sa, but really notices all the goodies that pal2 brings to the table. That's why I think it's the best TWF build.
    you on my Ignore list.
    Congratulations.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

I'd say, hmm... Fighter 3 (Champion)/Barbarian 9, for the crit-fishing and added Rage damage on every hit, or something like Fighter 1/Bladelock 13, for multiple hits with Hex and Lifedrinker. Really, you want some way of adding bonus damage to every hit.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by djreynolds View Post
    This is great build as well. Fighter has the capacity to have max attack stat at 6th. Only the fighter.

Just don't forget resilient wisdom. It's IMO huge.
    No need with Monster hunter. Adding sup dice to saves from 3rd.

It also gets the 'double sup dice + max result' smite damage effect.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sir cryosin
    Champion would be a better choice as there are no conflicts for the bonus action and the features apply to all attacks made. Straight fighter is also probably best as it has the most ASI to feat conversions available.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Here is a different approach revolving around the Paladin's 11th level feature Improved Divine Smite.

Paladin (Devotion or Oathbreaker) 11/Ranger (hunter) 3/ Barbarian (Bear Totem) 3/ Fighter (Champion ) 3.

Devotion if Reckless Attack isn't enough to help you hit, Oathbreaker if you want more damage. Hunter for +½ attack. Bearbarian for Reckless Attack and survivability. Champion for crit.

Edit: Derp, your charisma sucks :D Sorry.
    Last edited by X3r4ph; 2016-09-27 at 12:56 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by X3r4ph View Post

Just Cha?
    Because that build needs five 13s.
    Int is your only stat that can be lower.
    you on my Ignore list.
    Congratulations.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

It might be a crossbow expert. I might make this my next character. I could go ranger/rog, with more levels placed in rogue early for assassinate. You may be behind on stats, especially if you opt to be not-a-variant-human but if played correctly it should be awesome.

Melee TWF might not ever be the best simply because it doesn't have the range. For absolute maximum damage, str TWF half-orc champion is probably unbeatable in a sustained fight.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Banned

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by X3r4ph View Post
    Here is a different approach revolving around the Paladin's 11th level feature Improved Divine Smite.

Paladin (Devotion or Oathbreaker) 11/Ranger (hunter) 3/ Barbarian (Bear Totem) 3/ Fighter (Champion ) 3.

Devotion if Reckless Attack isn't enough to help you hit, Oathbreaker if you want more damage. Hunter for +½ attack. Bearbarian for Reckless Attack and survivability. Champion for crit.

I have a Barbarian + Vengance Paladin concept Im working on. Name of 'Jules'.

He has this passage he's memorized which sorta fits this occasion. 'I will strike you down with righteous anger and furious vengance if you attempt to poison or destroy my brothers'

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DivisibleByZero View Post
    Just Cha?
    Because that build needs five 13s.
    Int is your only stat that can be lower.
    You are so right. Forget that the ranger needs Wis. Damn that Ranger! :D Still, Paladin 11 is nice to begin with.

Still, Paladin 11/ Fighter 6/ Barbarian 3 is very potent.
    Last edited by X3r4ph; 2016-09-28 at 07:25 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Malifice View Post
    I have a Barbarian + Vengance Paladin concept Im working on. Name of 'Jules'.

He has this passage he's memorized which sorta fits this occasion. 'I will strike you down with righteous anger and furious vengance if you attempt to poison or destroy my brothers'
    Spoiler: apologies, going out of topic
    Show

If you feel like sharing your thoughts about this, and you can spare the time, I would be very interested to hear how you would go about building this character.

I was thinking of something similar a couple days ago. It dawned on me that one of the biggest weaknesses of the vengeance paladin is the restriction on his ability to gain advantage (1/short rest, against a single foe), and that hurts a lot considering that optimization is planned around VoE (most likely). So I was thinking that if I were to look at optimal multiclassing regarding a vengeance paladin, I would look for a (small) dip that would net me an alternative to VoE way to gain advantage on my attacks, so that my build wouldnt just go from 100% to 40% (random percentages, but you get the point) by not using VoE. While barbarian is not the only way to achieve that (reckless attack), it has some obvious benefits in regard to being easy enough to use (as opposed perhaps to the darkness combo) and it does not hurt our action economy. Moreover, while the capstone is very cool, it is not that powerful when compared to some of the other (paladin) capstones, so multiclassing certainly seems an option worth considering (and with a small dip you still get the aura improvements). Ofc, involving more barbarian levels might have some value that I am missing right now.
    Hacks!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

ClericGuy

Spoiler: apologies, going out of topic
    Show

If you feel like sharing your thoughts about this, and you can spare the time, I would be very interested to hear how you would go about building this character.

I was thinking of something similar a couple days ago. It dawned on me that one of the biggest weaknesses of the vengeance paladin is the restriction on his ability to gain advantage (1/short rest, against a single foe), and that hurts a lot considering that optimization is planned around VoE (most likely). So I was thinking that if I were to look at optimal multiclassing regarding a vengeance paladin, I would look for a (small) dip that would net me an alternative to VoE way to gain advantage on my attacks, so that my build wouldnt just go from 100% to 40% (random percentages, but you get the point) by not using VoE. While barbarian is not the only way to achieve that (reckless attack), it has some obvious benefits in regard to being easy enough to use (as opposed perhaps to the darkness combo) and it does not hurt our action economy. Moreover, while the capstone is very cool, it is not that powerful when compared to some of the other (paladin) capstones, so multiclassing certainly seems an option worth considering (and with a small dip you still get the aura improvements). Ofc, involving more barbarian levels might have some value that I am missing right now.
    Its a Barbarian 3/ Paladin 17.

All the goodies of rage and resistance to damage, plus all the goodies of Paladin smite.

Worshipps Hoar. From Uthgar (where Hoar is from and ties into the Barbarian vibe nicely too).

It screams out for 3 levels of champion fighter for a 19-20 crit range, advantage at will and smite evil.

27. - Top - End - #27

biggrin Re: What is the best two weapon fighting build

Clearly it's a giant with 2 magic great axes.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Specter View Post
    The new Beastmaster sounds like the best choice: with Coordinated Attack and Extra Attack, you'll be attacking three times and your pet will be attacking twice. Trade your STR for WIS.
    I believe you don't get extra attack as BM. You get 1 attack and your beast gets 1+1 reaction. So in total 3 attacks, 4 with DW. But you still have the issue with rangers needing their bonus action very frequently for spells like HM and other things so DW is still tricky for them. Please correct me if I'm wrong.