New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Immortals in the Playground, Episode 1

Dieter

"Would be pretty easy to program..." Dieter ventures, but before he can finish the thought, Lee'd already run off to greet some other girls. Girls! Dieter sighed with frustration.

"Is she, uh, Leeyameen always like this?" he asked Bobby.

2. - Top - End - #62

BardGuy

"Huh?" Bobby says, glancing at Dieter. "Oh, no, not at all. Sometimes she gets really excited."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Miki and Kaylee

Blessedly saved by Lee, Kaylee says a bit over-enthusiastically "Oh, hey Lee! This is my girlfriend, I mean friend, who happens to be a girl. . . Miki. My running partner."

With the tips of her ears burning red, Miki shoots Lee an odd look. The smile is friendly enough, but the eyes clearly say Damn it!"Um, hi Lee. Like Kaylee said, I'm, ah, her friend Miki. That's, uhh, a really nice robo-dog you have there." Her voice trails off, and she seems to shrink a bit, slightly shifting towards Kaylee.
    07/03/2018: I’m back. The long break was necessary.

Discord Tag #4097

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

"I know he's awesome right?!" she replies enthusiastically to Miki.

"A friend of Kaylee is a friend of mine." she continues, extending an arm in greeting to Miki.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sagara
    It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Mulder
    I did not lie, I wilfully participated in a campaign of misinformation

Murdered by Furthur Maths.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kaylee didn't exactly shift her position to guard Miki from Lee, but she did smile slightly, trying to recover from her faux-pas during the introduction. Lee, excitable as she was, was such a sweetie - Kaylee knew Miki was in no real danger aside from Lee's overexcitement, which rather like being tackled by a large puppy that wanted to lick your face, minus the whole licking bit.

"Lee and I met at one of my games," she said to Miki, hoping to distract from the girlfriend slip. Not that she would mind introducing her like that stop Kaylee stop that right now before you go farther down that road which would not be a bad road but now is not the time, dammit. Taking a breath, she faced Lee, nodding in approval. "Great job on your presentation, Lee! I'm- I'm really impressed, especially the whole...rocket dog bit, and, well, everything was really cool. What's, uh, what's next on the...feature list...thing? And who are your new friends?"

Well, this could be going worse. Asking Lee who her new friends were was common, as she usually made about two a day.
    We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.

Former BleachITP player of the one and only Minuet.

Homebrew!
    The Freerunner, based on everyone's favorite parkour girl Faith Connors.
    The White Clad - Custom Base Class, based on the Assassin's Creed series, now with a bonus Prestige class - The Guildmaster.
    Star Wars Saga Edition Force Power Revamp, complete with new skill calculations and a shiny graph.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

I, don't know, I wasn't paying much attention. Oooh, there's Alan, he has this hard light projector that can be shrunk down to the size of a ring, he refuses to do the obvious with it, then there's Dieter, he's working on actual AI, that's awesome!" she replied, shifting her attention back to Kaylee temporarily.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

It's not Yggdrasil or Helheim you're facing, it's the cold rule that says the world demands sacrifice in exchange of hope. Destroy that rule and change the world.

7. - Top - End - #67

Dieter

"Uh-huh... Is she...? Nah, nevermind." ... is she really a genius? She's too ditzy to be one, Dieter was going to say, but he held quiet. It wasn't any of his business.

Though he wasn't an expert on the subject, Dieter got the vague idea from posture and gestures that the conversation by... the three girls there had somehow shifted to them, however shortly.

"So, uh, what about them robots, huh? Orange you happy mon that her dog turned out to be rad wild?" Dieter grinned sheepishly, mimicking the accent he'd seen on television just the other day... and his expression fell again. "N- nevermind, forget I said that!"

He wasn't sure why he kept trying, he wasn't the cheerful type. Or the type to make puns. Actually, scratch that, he loved puns.

8. - Top - End - #68

BardGuy

Bobby, of course, got completely the wrong idea. "My girlfriend? Not yet, but it's just a matter of time." He gives another grin. "She's a great gal. I can be patient."

He blinks. "Huh. Y'know, that accent actually wasn't half bad, Dietz."

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

Somehow, he didn't exactly think that that was what Dieter had been about to ask. Oh well, the kid was awkward enough naturally, no need to exacerbate the situation and make the kid feel even more uncomfortable. "It's better than what I've seen other people do." Alan threw in.

"So you're working on getting AI to learn like humans do, but what else are they capable of? Are you just trying to make robotic replicas of humans or are they more like Lee's Gou but smarter?"
    Spoiler: What Am I?
    Show

10. - Top - End - #70

Dieter

"Please forget I said that and let's never speak of it again," Dieter replied frantically. It was embarrassing!

"You know there's a lotta conflicting ideas 'bout what's a proper AI: like, there's some who'll say machines aren't intelligent no matter how hard you try. Like when Deep Blue won that chess game ages ago? Yeah," Dieter started, becoming more excited as he talked. "There's also people who're all hot on makin' sure their AI's like, super smart and can solve stuff no one else can. Which is a rad idea, but I was thinkin' it's a good idea to have AI that can actually learn on their own accord and experience emotions like humans do. See, the AI effect basically says 'AI is whatever hasn't been done yet', an' there's no one who's made a real human-like AI yet, right? And it's super helpful if they can think like humans, too!"

He took a pause, breathed in deeply, and rambled on, "F'rinstance, when you're doin' science, it's good t'have a buddy. Now, since AI can be hard-wired to be smarter than people due to better computing power and all, if you get an AI that is functionally a human but smarter, you've got a great companion! F'r research, I mean," Dieter grins awkwardly, "cos it'd be weird to make robots just as friends, right?"
    Last edited by Held; 2015-02-12 at 07:47 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

Alan shrugs, "If it acts like a human and thinks like one, I don't see any reason why you can't be just friends with it. Heck, people make friends with dogs and cats. If the goal is just to make human-like AI, being able to make friends with them would probably be a good indication that you've succeeded."

And now Alan was left wondering if the reason Dieter began learning how to make AI was because he was lonely. Because that would just be plain sad.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

I, don't know, I wasn't paying much attention. Oooh, there's Alan, he has this hard light projector that can be shrunk down to the size of a ring, he refuses to do the obvious with it, then there's Dieter, he's working on actual AI, that's awesome!"

Kaylee gave the others a small wave and a sheepish smile. If they managed to stick around Lee, she would likely be seeing them again very soon. Their projects sounded interesting - hard light was fascinating, AI even moreso, both of them being things she had very little knowledge of. She wouldn't mind changing that sometime perhaps soon.

The fact that Lee said she wasn't paying much attention during her own presentation made Kaylee chuckle, because she could think of few other things that were so very Lee-like than not paying attention while up on a stage doing a thing in front of a crowed. The other most Lee-like thing she could picture was riding her rocket dog around campus like a surfboard, whooping the whole time.

What the obvious for Alan was, Kaylee didn't know. A ring blaster? Some kind of replica NBA Championship ring? A ring pop? It escaped her. Maybe Miki would know.

"Maybe you and he could produce a new version of Gou with some really nice AI. Did you just meet all these people today? What else have you looked at?"

Homebrew!
    The White Clad - Custom Base Class, based on the Assassin's Creed series, now with a bonus Prestige class - The Guildmaster.
    Star Wars Saga Edition Force Power Revamp, complete with new skill calculations and a shiny graph.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

"I could ask, but I have so many ideas.... Oh yeah, thanks for tutoring me, I couldn't have built the olfactory sensor without your help." she trailed off in reply to Kaylee.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Miki, Kaylee, and Lee
    Presentation Hall

Some of the projects this Lee girl seemed pretty awesome, actually. Miki had thought her predictive algorithms for the goggles had been pretty advanced, but when considered against true AI they just seemed like interesting coding tricks. Maybe this Dieter guy could take a look at her code, make it more efficient and productive. She loosens up a bit, coming out from under Kaylee's shadow.

When the tutoring gets mention, Miki feels a spike of jealousy. Kaylee had mentioned that she was tutoring a friend in chemistry, but Miki couldn't remember her mentioning that it was this girl. Miki lets it pass though; no reason to assume anything.

"Yeah, Kaylee is really amazing at chemistry. She tried to explain it to me, but I didn't get most of it. Seems a lot more hands on than most of what I do though."

Discord Tag #4097

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Yeah, Kaylee is really amazing at chemistry. She tried to explain it to me, but I didn't get most of it. Seems a lot more hands on than most of what I do though."

With a small, nervous laugh, Kaylee shrunk down a bit at the thanks and praise from her friends. "No, it wa- it's no trouble! I'm not that good, I'm just...I'm okay, I'm nothing special! I'm just glad I could help, Lee, and I'm glad you took to it really well. It...it really paid off, I can tell, with Gou and everything.

"Besides, it's just...chemistry, it's not as big as advanced gravitational physics or incredible robotics advancements or...anything at all like that. I'm not a genius like Miki is."

Was it hot in here? It felt really hot in here. Maybe it was just her very red face that was making her think that, the blush unsuccessfully trying to hide in her dark skin.

Homebrew!

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

"Nothing? You guys do science, I just apply it. Oooh, gravitational physics, a new model?" she again replies, her attention shifting to Miki as she heard those words, curious as to what does Miki do.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

Miki, Kaylee, and Lee
    Presentation Hall

"Nothing? You guys do science, I just apply it. Oooh, gravitational physics, a new model?"

"Umm, yeah, sure. A new model. Or, you know, more like tweaks to the existing ones. Nothing special really."

There was no way Miki was telling the overly-energetic girl with the flying robotic dog about her devices. These things weren't toys. The incident at the classroom had proven that thoroughly.
    Last edited by Space Lawyer; 2015-02-13 at 12:20 PM.

Discord Tag #4097

18. - Top - End - #78

BardGuy

"Yeah. I mean, just look at that huge robot in the Big Hero 6 and the kid who rides around on his back. They seem like best buddies."

Bobby glances over at Lee and the others, wondering what they're talking about.

19. - Top - End - #79

Dieter

A- are they on to him?!

"Y- yeah, I guess! But the point isn't to make a friend, but someone who'll be useful... and alive... and talkative..." Dieter's voice trailed a little as he nervously rubbed the back of his neck. "A- anyway, I'm nowhere near yet. The one that got me in was fine, but it's... basically a robot. It's really not human-like. And my current project... I'm at the tenth iteration, and I'm pretty sure he's going to show some kind of horrible flaw sooner or later."

The boy sighed, then started counting on his fingers as he recited, "Number 1 would shut down immediately as it booted. Number 2 wanted to eat, though he had no mouth. Number 3 had a crisis and literally self-destructed. Number 4 followed Number 3's lead, I have no idea why. I think it wanted to follow a 'good example'. Number 5 didn't understand languages and forgot everything after three minutes. Number 6..." Dieter paused, sighed deeply, then continued, "Number 6 thought death was hilarious. Number 7 refused to learn anything I didn't program into it. Number 8 was horribly scared of everything. Like, literally everything. Number 9... let's not talk about number 9."

Smiling wryly, the boy concluded, "So I'm at number 10, and everything's been rad so far, but I'm pretty sure he'll turn out flawed some way or another."
    Last edited by Held; 2015-02-13 at 03:03 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

After Lee departed triumphantly from the stage, there seemed to be some confusion over the next exhibition, something to do with lasers and plasma. Apparently, that student is nowhere to be found, so a brief intermission is declared and the crowd disperses. Some of them cycle out of the building, either calling it a night or out for a bit of fresh air, while more people drift in for the really exciting bits.

In the grand tradition of saving the best for last, only a couple of students are left on the schedule, making way for graduates and faculty - people truly at the top of their field. Word is that one of the physics professors, Dr. Van't Hout, has something big in store later tonight, though the details are lacking.

Anyone paying especial attention to The Man have noticed that some of the higher-ranking cops are in conference, near the main entrance but far enough away from prying ears.

By this point, Bobby has accumulated a respectable number of people dancing around his booth, and it's a keg away from officially being a party.

Spoiler: Active Scene Aspects
    Show
    This Is the Cutting Edge
    They'll Show the World
    Here and Now
    Tonight They Will Shine
    Project a Positive Message
    Nothing Will Happen on Their Watch
    A Rockin' Soundtrack (2 free invocations)
    Last edited by Sasaisen; 2015-02-13 at 08:09 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

Ah denial, how amusing it was to see someone in midst of it. Dieter's nervousness pretty much confirmed his theory, which confused him, seeing as he already had a great friend in Bobby. "That's still incredible progress compared to most others in your field, the human brain is a complex organ, transforming it into code can't possibly be easy and it sounds like you've mostly got it down except for a few quirks." Alan shrugged. "Besides, maybe this one will get a useful quirk, like always wanting to help people or something."

A brief intermission was announced and Alan clicked his tongue in annoyance. "Really, such a great occasion and the guy can't even be bothered to be prepared." He looked at the stream of people exiting the building's main entrance, frowning as he noticed several cops talking to one another. He could have sworn that the entrance had less cops when the exhibition started, had something happened?
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

The crowd had thinned out, giving Kaylee some much needed breathing room, but she still felt a little stifled by the place. The air outside seemed like a welcome change of pace, but she didn't just want to leave her friends here. Then again...

She tapped Miki on the shoulder and nodded to the outside. "I'm gonna get some fresh air, I need to get out of here for a few minutes. Do you want to...come with me? I don't want to drag you away if you're having a conversation, I'll be back soon, I just...yeah. Air. Yeah." She then turned to face Lee. "Sorry, Lee, I need to duck outside for a bit and get my head back. Too many people, too much interaction, it's...yeah. Sorry, again. I'll be back soon, we can talk more then?"

Homebrew!

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

"Aww, okay, hope you feel better." Lee replies to Kaylee, sounding a little disappointed, nodding and proceeding to skip off and mingle with what's left of the crowd.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

Miki

Miki quickly agrees to Kaylee's suggestion. "Yeah, lets go take a walk around. We can come back for Dr. Van't Hout's presentation later. It should be something impressive."

Internally, Miki is not nearly so calm. Ok, going out the public eye. Good time to make a move. Don't screw it up.

Discord Tag #4097

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

Internally sighing with relief, Kaylee headed out of the main entrance with Miki striding along beside her. Passing SF's finest gave Kaylee a small bit of nervousness, but they reacted with nothing except a few suspicious looks - looks they appeared to be giving everyone here, not just her.

The cool night air was a welcome change from the convention center, and Kaylee took a deep breath as she moved away from the occasional crowds of people, walking along the pathways and ending up next to the fountain. It was currently in the middle of one of the performances it put on every half hour, streams of water crisscrossing each other and leaping from place to place across the marble. The crowds here were clustered together into groups of 4 or 5, other people who had felt the need to get out.

As Kaylee took deep breaths, the anxiety that had been gnawing at her chest started to fade out, the social pressure to not make a fool of herself fading away - her times talking to school reporters or people after the basketball games had done some for her nerves, but she didn't like it. She only felt sure when she was on the court, when she knew people would be listening to her and trusting her judgement. Off the court, there were no such guarantees, and anything dumb she said could be remembered for ages and ages.

She knew she remembered a lot of dumb things she'd said, plenty of them tonight. Miki brought out the talker in her, apparently - at least, when they weren't doing something else like running. There'd never been any pressure there. A cursory hi, a smile or a wave, "ready to go?" and they were off. Silence during the trips, comfortable silence, the occasional shared glance or look of concern. A parting goodbye, "see you tomorrow!", "great run!" or some other platitude.

Not much happened in the realm of actual...conversation. Conversation scared her. Miki didn't scare her, but Miki did make Kaylee nervous in an entirely different way.

"Sorry if I pulled you away from chatting. I just...I needed to get out for a few. Too many people. Too much to look at." The waving, shimmering lights from the fountain reflected onto Miki, creating intriguing patterns and interesting details on her already gorgeous face and lovely hair. Now, there was only really one focus point for her.

Red-tinged, she turned away, pretending to glance at the water.

Homebrew!

26. - Top - End - #86

BardGuy

Bobby nods at Alan's "quirk" comments, then glances up at the stage. "I wonder who was supposed to present," he says. "Lasers would've been pretty sweet."

27. - Top - End - #87

Dieter

Dieter hummed non-committally. He kinda knew what was... odd about #10. It wasn't a drive to help people, or an especially friendly disposition, but... People'd probably be freaked if they met him.

Agh! Dieter wanted to go back to the lab so badly! His hour was most definitely up. He'd got that credit. But, well, the night was winding down, and there wouldn't be very long... Maybe just a little longer. But probably not here. Dieter imagined he'd already bored Bobby and... what was his name again?... to death with his talk of AI. Probably the same reason that Leeyameen girl ran off. Dull Dieter. It struck again.

"I- I'm just... gonna go look around, yeah," Dieter said, biting his lip. He turned around, seeing the three girls he'd been not-so-secretly watching break off as well. Yeah, that'd happen, he guessed. But where was he gonna go? He'd already seen most of the booths, and there'd probably be a bit of time to kill before the new presentations'd start up again.

Ah. He remembered. He'd caught word of some neural interface VR thing near the start of the night. Maybe that was still around? Dieter'd be lying if he said he wasn't a videogame enthusiast.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

Miki and Kaylee
    School grounds

Miki's body felt heavy and light simultaneously. Her heart was thumping, threatening to tear through her ribs, yet her chest felt like it was being crushed by a great invisible force.

Ok, Miki. You can do it. Just think of something smooth to say. Figure out a way to realllly grab her attention. Make it memorable. Remember the guy from the atmospheric science department? Yeah, pretty much be the opposite. But he was asking out Lynn from engineering, and he still couldn't be smooth. This is Kaylee! She's beautiful, smart, and . . . oh s***, just go for it.

"Too many people. Too much to look at."

"Well, you can look at me then."

With that, Miki stands up on her toes, stretching out as tall as she can and planting a kiss on Kaylee's cheek.

"I really like you, Kaylee."

Discord Tag #4097

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Well, you can look at me then.".

Kaylee had fully intended to - the stars above and the water below had given Miki quite the picturesque setting, with the soft fountain light casting a cool glow over her. The taller girl began to turn and do just what Miki had suggested when she felt Miki's lips on her cheek, and she froze stock-still.

It had happened. It was beautiful, something Kaylee had been wanting for a while, but something she'd never really had the courage or time or anything like that to do or talk about and why would she anyway, Miki was leagues above her. This was the first time they'd even really seen each other outside of running - their meeting at the athletic center had lead to that, where they often just showed up and happened to be running at the same time. Banding together out of safety and mutual comfort was natural.

And now it had lead to this, with the crush Kaylee had been nursing on her shorter partner coming to fruition, reciprocated in as sure a way as it could be. Or was Miki just being friendly? Was that something Miki did? She knew she'd been friendly with other girls before, but never...none had ever told her they really liked her.

And those words kind of made her feel like the most glorious person on this earth. She didn't want to doubt Miki, so she would do her best not to.

She rubbed the spot where Miki had kissed her and turned to face the bright haired girl, expression of astonishment turning into a soft smile. "I, um...I really like you too, Miki."

She gave a small nervous laugh, rubbing the back of her head with her hand, not sure of what to say next. What else was there to say? What more clarification did she need? She was already incredibly happy from this, did she need anything else?

"And I think I will," Kaylee said as she found Miki's eyes with her own, looking down at the girl. She was obviously nervous, no idea where to go from here, or what to do next, is this when you start holding hands? Was Miki going to kiss her again? That would be nice. "This has been a very...um...interesting night. Not bad. A good interesting. A really...really good kind."

Homebrew!

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

Chimera

No, it was a science exhibition, there couldn't have been anything major that happened. Not anything on the level of the Big Hero 6's debacle anyway. There was probably just a student or two that lost their projects or had theirs stolen by someone jealous of their achievements.

Alan nodded distractedly as Dieter mentioned that he was going to take a look around, that wouldn't be a bad idea, the presentation might have gone into intermission but the booths were still running. Speaking of booths, he glanced at Bobby's and took a double take, when in the world had so many people gathered there?

"Looks like somebody's booth is having a blast." He said with a grin, wondering how long it'd take Bobby to realize whose booth he was talking about.
    Show