New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: What afterlife does Miko go to?

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Pushing the boundaries, sure, but she never Fell or even apparently got any major warning signs.
    Was trying to find out where my memory came from but if you're good with it, no need.
    I don't think paladins get much warnings though.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

Thanks to neoseph7 for my avatar (Allen Walker from D.Gray-Man)

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Quild View Post
    Was trying to find out where my memory came from but if you're good with it, no need.
    I don't think paladins get much warnings though.
    I would assume at some point someone would start asking her "What the heck are you doing!?!"

Im good with it because I recall the same comment from somewhere. Might be a quote, might be a commentary. Ill accept it as fact unless the Giant comes in and contradicts it.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #213
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by goodpeople25 View Post
    Less funny if you think about why the guard introduced it in the first place. Well it's implied anyway coughgoblincrusadescough.
    Well, yes, but I tend to put SoD in the pile with Eric and Haley's interactions with her dad, well way from the rules jokes.
    Spoiler: Worst PC Concept Ever
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaegar14 View Post
    I came up with a master ninja with a robotic arm that is simultaneously both a vampire and a werewolf. He is the first of his clan in a thousand years to master the Warp Blade technique, which allows him to bend space-time to his will. So in addition to being a cyborg werewolf vampire ninja, he's also a time traveler and functionally immortal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milodiah View Post
    ...kinda sounds like Samuel Haight got sent to the world of Rifts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    And we have a new winner!

4. - Top - End - #214
    Firbolg in the Playground

Also, by magic item standards, Phylacteries of Faithfulness are dirt cheap at 1000 GP. Hell, it's 2/3 the price of nonmagical nomasterwork full plate.

Besides, Miko was what, 16th, level? 1000 gp out of HOW many, again?

5. - Top - End - #215
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

I would assume at some point someone would start asking her "What the heck are you doing!?!"

Im good with it because I recall the same comment from somewhere. Might be a quote, might be a commentary. Ill accept it as fact unless the Giant comes in and contradicts it.
    It was, again, the commentary for War and XPs

6. - Top - End - #216

...There's another idea:

I believe bonus strips show Miko so thoroughly rejected by the other Paladins that she has to dine with her horse even when she is in the city...so she gets sent on long missions to elsewhere because nobody wants her company.

It then follows logically that perhaps the other Paladins DID see her teetering on the edge, but instead, they chose to simply let her fall over that edge, because if she fell, they could throw her out of the guard and never see her again.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Angelalex242 View Post
    ...There's another idea:

I believe bonus strips show Miko so thoroughly rejected by the other Paladins that she has to dine with her horse even when she is in the city...so she gets sent on long missions to elsewhere because nobody wants her company.

It then follows logically that perhaps the other Paladins DID see her teetering on the edge, but instead, they chose to simply let her fall over that edge, because if she fell, they could throw her out of the guard and never see her again.
    That sounds like it would violate the paladin code to me. That's tantamount to encouraging evil deeds for your own selfish reasons.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

8. - Top - End - #218

...There's another idea:

The way I remember this scene the two paladins are not fond of dining with Miko but were ready to go with it until Miko disagreed with some of their plans for the evening. Then one of them pretexted that they intended to date together, so Miko let them be together.
    Something like that.

I don't think we can say they rejected her.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Pixie in the Playground

The way I remember this scene the two paladins are not fond of dining with Miko but were ready to go with it until Miko disagreed with some of their plans for the evening. Then one of them pretexted that they intended to date together, so Miko let them be together.
    Something like that.

I don't think we can say they rejected her.
    Still, doesn't seem that it would have improved her attitude.

Anyway, I would think Arcadia or possibly Celestia. It seemed to me that Miko was still LG, just not LG enough. Soon said the problem was that she didn't atone for previous misdeeds. That she was still following her duty, sincerely if rather unwisely. If she had actually shifted alignments, wouldn't he have said something about her not actually being a good person, instead of doing well enough but needing to regret her mistakes?
    Last edited by Aspiration; 2015-03-18 at 10:07 AM.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Orc in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Aspiration View Post
    Still, doesn't seem that it would have improved her attitude.

Anyway, I would think Arcadia or possibly Celestia. It seemed to me that Miko was still LG, just not LG enough. Soon said the problem was that she didn't atone for previous misdeeds. That she was still following her duty, sincerely if rather unwisely. If she had actually shifted alignments, wouldn't he have said something about her not actually being a good person, instead of doing well enough but needing to regret her mistakes?
    While I'm not personally going to come down on any side in this debate--or any Miko debate--technically she could have changed alignment without not being a good person. She could have dropped to Neutral or Chaotic Good, and then the criticism that she failed to atone for what she did would still hold up without needing to mention that she had failed to be a Good person. And it's also possible that, as Soon was fading, he didn't want to go into a long list of every way she messed up, instead just focusing on the immediately relevant side of things, those mistakes she had made in the past day (and that had directly led to her Fall).

Personally I have no idea what her alignment was at the end. *shrug*

11. - Top - End - #221

It's not ENCOURAGING evil deeds. They're not saying 'Miko, go burn an orphanage.' They're simply watching Miko's behavior and finding themselves hoping, just a little bit, that she goes too far so they can throw her out and not have to put up with her attitude anymore.

'Give her enough rope and maybe she'll hang herself! Then freedom for all of us!'

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

It's not ENCOURAGING evil deeds. They're not saying 'Miko, go burn an orphanage.' They're simply watching Miko's behavior and finding themselves hoping, just a little bit, that she goes too far so they can throw her out and not have to put up with her attitude anymore.

'Give her enough rope and maybe she'll hang herself! Then freedom for all of us!'
    Im fairly certain that "Hoping a colleague goes down a self-destructive path because you don't like them." is one of those things that a paladin simply wouldn't do.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

There's a difference between not wanting to be around someone, and secretly wanting her to fall fail. After all, once she fell, what did Hinjo do? Try to get her started on the path to redemption.

Mind, Miko didn't take it well. But one of the first things Hinjo tried to do when they got to chatting was to remind her that Atonement exists for a reason.
    Last edited by Porthos; 2015-03-18 at 07:39 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

14. - Top - End - #224

Hinjo was probably the best of the living Paladins, alongside O'Chul. Both of which are in turn outshone by the wisdom and graciousness of Lord Soon.

That doesn't mean ALL Paladins are so noble, however. Considering what Miko's gotten away with, hoping somebody fails/falls seems to be something the 12 gods would put up with.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hinjo was probably the best of the living Paladins, alongside O'Chul. Both of which are in turn outshone by the wisdom and graciousness of Lord Soon.

That doesn't mean ALL Paladins are so noble, however. Considering what Miko's gotten away with, hoping somebody fails/falls seems to be something the 12 gods would put up with.
    Let me rephrase. It would probably be theoretically allowed, but the personality type required to be a paladin would simply not do such a thing.

16. - Top - End - #226

Allow me to rephrase the point a little more subtly. They were hoping something would happen to metaphorically smack Miko up side the head and start straightening her out. So they wouldn't have to do it themselves.

17. - Top - End - #227

And something did. Rather dramatically. Pity the 12 gods themselves weren't enough to even begin to make a dent in Miko.

18. - Top - End - #228

I've been re-reading the bonus strip yesterday and I wasn't remembering it well.
    Spoiler: Bonus strip W&XP
    Show

Miko proposes the two paladins to dine with her.
    They're not fond to spend the evening with Miko but one still invite her to go to the restaurant with them.
    Miko objects that employees of the said restaurants are known to gamble and this restaurant shouldn't be visited by paladins or anyone else.
    Annoyed by Miko spoiling their plan because of her stick in the ass, the two paladin lie about dating and wanting to be alone.
    We discover that Miko had prepared something at her place and wanted to invite them at her place (I wouldn't risk much betting that her hostility to the restaurant was in order to propose to go dine to her place instead).

We know that the paladins are not fond to spend time with Miko. Shojo himself says that it's no mystery why she's sent away on long missions. But we have no clue that they are letting her go down. At all.

You're focusing on named paladins because others weren't named?

So you're making an asumption about all these paladins that were prepared to die and the ones that already died?
    In the next page we have :
    - A cloaked paladin that died without having drawing weapon against his comrades (this one always bugged me out)
    - Bandana guy holding two paladins so O'Chul can destroy the gate (which would kill him anyway)
    - The "last" paladin that hara-kiri herself realizing what she have done (come on, why?)

And what about Thanh? And Lien? Thanh wasn't high level but I still think he was morally better than Hinjo on lot of points. He was very humble with a sense of sacrifice. I liked him.
    Posting from France
    Sorry for my accent.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

- A cloaked paladin that died without having drawing weapon against his comrades (this one always bugged me out)
    I think the context just suggests that that guy happened to have made his save and didn't understand what had happened to the others, not that he was consciously choosing to die rather than fight the insane paladins.

Though that's just a nitpick; I agree that the evidence doesn't really suggest that the majority of the Sapphire Guard were jerks who were passively-aggressively trying to get rid of Miko.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

20. - Top - End - #230

BlackDragon

Let me rephrase. It would probably be theoretically allowed, but the personality type required to be a paladin would simply not do such a thing.
    Though I don't think it's likely the sapphire guard were holding "when is miko going to fall" betting pools(for charity of course).
    I don't think it's that bad for some paladins to think to themselves maybe she's slipping to neutral, should i help? Nah she can figure it out for herself.
    Though freedom of choice is i think is mainly associated with chaos. I think some lawful Good paladins would put some value in freedom of choice. Do you really think the paladins were thinking she would.fall by killing lord shojo, or a slow alignment shift and maybe thinking it was for the best.
    Do you think they would believe she would start killing innocents if she slipped to LN.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by goodpeople25 View Post
    Though I don't think it's likely the sapphire guard were holding "when is miko going to fall" betting pools(for charity of course).
    I don't think it's that bad for some paladins to think to themselves maybe she's slipping to neutral, should i help? Nah she can figure it out for herself.
    Though freedom of choice is i think is mainly associated with chaos. I think some lawful Good paladins would put some value in freedom of choice. Do you really think the paladins were thinking she would.fall by killing lord shojo, or a slow alignment shift and maybe thinking it was for the best.
    Do you think they would believe she would start killing innocents if she slipped to LN.
    I mean, if they believed she could handle it, that's different than seeing her definitely NOT handle it and still choosing not to intervene.

22. - Top - End - #232

BlackDragon

I mean, if they believed she could handle it, that's different than seeing her definitely NOT handle it and still choosing not to intervene.
    Ok sorry i'm having trouble bringing my point across
    i meant the other paladins, thinking miko could handle understanding the fact she's slowing slipping to LN and then trying to get back on track for herself. If she doesn't well she's not a paladin anymore so we don't have to work with her anymore and if she wasn't an arrogant jerk she would not have fell.
    Last edited by goodpeople25; 2015-03-19 at 05:34 PM.

23. - Top - End - #233

There's also the problem that we only see the few scenes the Giant shows us. For all we know, several clerics and paladins DID try to talk some sense into her.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I don't see a trully good paladin doing something like "Yeah, let her fall!". One of the pillars of good is to promote good itself (which is different from forcing one's views of what good is - I'm talking to you, Miko), and letting a fellow paladin slip from the path of good does the exact opposite of promote goodness.

Also, I agree with Rogar Demonblud:

There's also the problem that we only see the few scenes the Giant shows us. For all we know, several clerics and paladins DID try to talk some sense into her.