New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast

Thread: Outside 42

1. - Top - End - #241
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Outside 42

[Dwarven Portal Quest]
    Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    Winds shivers, drawing his hand quickly away.

Aww, gee. He doesn't think it means, like, a sandwich. He forgot to bring his human sacrifices too.
    Maybe just a little blood will do?
    He tries to prick his finger with the blade, held above the trough. Takes him a few tries before he remembers it can't cut living things, puts it away, and tries again with the hunting sword.
    Drip.
    Drip.
    This has to be a terrible idea.
    Oh... yah... that's a bad idea.

The block over the doorway vanishes

So does the pillar

An awesome flash of power goes... elsewhere.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Dwarven Portal Quest]

Not his fault. Blame the people who made this thing.

Winds checks through the mask lenses, nods once, sticks his injured finger in his mouth, sheathes the sword, and starts trudging off to the dungeon.
    Now they just need to not die getting out of here.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

3. - Top - End - #243
    Orc in the Playground

[A Simple Contract]

"Tongue twister to help with focus. Still weird."

Hotaru winces at the sound of the scream. "I wasn't done, but I suppose that'll learn 'im. Still, I have to ask--" She takes out a canteen and sips from it. "--what exactly did he do?"

4. - Top - End - #244
    Bugbear in the Playground

A Simple Contract

Evan's mouth twists with distaste.

He was the coordinator of my Assassin's Guild. When the authorities caught up with him he gave out the names of all the assassins that worked for him. Nearly fifty of my friends ended up executed. John Armire was a spineless coward who couldn't face his punishment.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Pixie in the Playground

[Dwarven Portal Quest]

Not die-ing will be surprisingly easy, actually. The aura of preservation is gone, and now there is nothing at all.

the city is dead.

completely, utterly dead.

So.... there's not a lot to say.

away, far away to the north, in a dreadful sewage pit, a ruined and disgusting figure claws its way out of the cesspit. But what could that matter?

I mean, just because he was defeated the first time, and Pat's wish was blocked from making this happen... you didn't think he was gone forever, did you?

6. - Top - End - #246
    Orc in the Playground

[A Simple Contract]

"A sellout. I see." Hotaru appears at a loss for words. Then, she lays down on her side, her head resting on her elbow as she studies Evan. "Assassins' Guild, too. Explains why you didn't hesitate to kneecap him."

"I happen to dislike sellouts. I don't kill anymore, but a few broken bones can teach lessons. I'd rather it weren't necessary, but..." She shakes her head and sighs again.

7. - Top - End - #247

A Simple Contract

Wasn't much of a figure to look up to either as it were.

Evan sighs.

I think we'd all prefer it if this sort of thing wasn't needed. Though people like me would have a distinctly more difficult time finding gainful employment, Evan observes, dryly.
    Last edited by DoomITP; 2015-03-01 at 10:45 PM.

8. - Top - End - #248

[Dwarven Portal Quest]

All that would sound like somebody else's problem at the moment, at least if you asked Winds.

A lot of walking and a little talking finds them flying off, Archangel's mechanical wing-pack lifting them from the sands of the desert and carrying them away.

[Later]

No one said the door had to be opened right away.
    Or before recovering from your burns. And, say, getting more clothes.

Those same two golems, finally having trudged out of the desert, and Winds, and Archangel with a new, more heat-resistant (if heavier) outfit, show up.
    Archangel is not smiling, nor saying anything supposedly witty. Wings is not loafing on the benches.
    They have a job to do, and they're focused on it. They can't say they enjoyed the previous stretch of it, even if they did manage to get through it. And, unsaid, they're dreading whether it might not have worked.

Slowly, they head up to the doorway and its guards.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2015-03-01 at 10:56 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terumitsu View Post
    [The WoodsTM]

Her throat and mouth burned a bit as she coughed a few last times before finally spitting the last of it on the ground. Part of her was annoyed that having long hair had suddenly become a liability but most of her was still recovering from the sheer shock of... What even was that? I.. I know that I just... Two segments were just destroyed but.. It wasn't even painful but.. The muse noticed that she was simply standing and staring into the pool she was kneeling over that had spattered into her hair as if she had just found an interesting bug to look at. For a moment, she almost wanted the shaking sensation that any purely biological being would likely be experiencing but.. No that was little more than a passing moment of weakness. Really, the simple solidarity of her functional control was calming in more ways than one. It was a strange thing that she nonetheless could draw strength and stability from even if part of her felt like she wouldn't be totally adverse to just... Coming apart a little.. At least for a little bit. She didn't even feel like crying although that might come later as it all sank in.

Marshaling her hair into a hand and giving it all a few hard shakes to try and get the worst of the offending droplets out, she wipes at her mouth with a shirt sleeve and stood back up. She didn't even feel the paleness of blood draining away from her face as it was all under her control. She couldn't feel what wasn't happening. Still, solidarity of being aside, what she wanted most right now was a little more than a hand at her back.. Although that was a good start. Taking a deep breath, Riss smoothly reached out to wrap her arms around Mimi, trying to gently drag her into a standing position as a bid to get a bit further away from the foul-smelling pool... Though she suspected that she would want to find a stream or something to wash her mouth out of the same odor soon. It wouldn't prevent her from trying to lead her pixie away for a few strides before stopping and clutching her tightly; rocking gently from side to side while resting a chin on her shoulder, cheek to cheek. "...I am currently thanking my insane choice to go about making more bodies right now.. I just did something.. Well.. No, I'm going to commit and say that it was stupid. I mean, I knew that nothing all that bad would happen other than maybe a lot of..." Mimi... You probably don't even care about the mitigating bits, do you? Really.. I'm just making excuses, aren't I? "I.. Remember when I said that extra forms are kinda like more limbs? I kinda just gave myself a double amputation in that case. I... It's.. I'm going to need to process this a little but.. Just.. If you'll just stay with me, I think I'll be fine." she said.

"...Sorry I just spewed out the fruit you gave me.. Kind of a waste there.. At least there's more?" she joked, fishing for something resembling a laugh from Mimi. It wasn't that she was trying to be funny but even just a grin or a smile would make her feel better right now.
    [The WoodsTM]

Mimi looks utterly horrified. Confused and horrified. Sadly, Riss doesn't get that laugh out of the pixie. Still, though, she offers what comfort she can in a tight hug. "Do you need to go home? I'm pretty sure I can find home from here if you wanna go." She offer uncertainly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Jungle Walk]

"You know we have work." Zhareen teases as she removes the rest of her clothing to join Vax in the river, suddenly entering her own element. Her long body suddenly gain speed and agility in the relative weightlessness of the river water. She shoots forward and circles around Vax playfully. "That place would collapse without us." She says with a smile.
    [Jungle Walk]

"Oh I know. Responsibilities and all that." Vax waves her hand dismissively at them. "It's so hard to worry about those when I'm out here with you, isn't it?" She let's her fingers run along Zhareen's body as she circles around her.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Orc in the Playground

A Simple Contract

Quote Originally Posted by DoomITP View Post
    Wasn't much of a figure to look up to either as it were.

Evan sighs.

I think we'd all prefer it if this sort of thing wasn't needed. Though people like me would have a distinctly more difficult time finding gainful employment, Evan observes, dryly.
    "Well, you never know until you try..." Hotaru says softly. "I didn't, at least." She looks towards the direction of the target in silence. "Y'kno, those bodyguards would be looking for a shooter." She points to the direction she's looking.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    Desert

Lyn nods gravely. She hadn't realized that was the case. He seemed to have made the choice before she arrived though, so he must have his reasons.
    "Of course. It's only proper after helping me." she says.
    Desert

The General gives a nod before looking at his relative, gesturing for him to stand and come closer. After Belisarius does so, he reaches out to pull off his nephew's right pauldron, tearing it away. "I'll be sure that this goes to your mother." He promises as a servant comes forward and offer a large two-handed boarding axe made of black and red crystal. "And take this with you. Guard her well and do our family proud."

"I will, Uncle."
    Belisarius promises as The General leans back and closes his eyes, resting. Taking it as a sign to leave, Belisarius gives Lyn a nod before heading back to his own tent in order to begin packing things. He's quiet, probably thinking of what lay before them.

12. - Top - End - #252

A Simple Contract

"Sonic Reversal rounds. They'll be busy looking in the opposite direction. Really expensive stuff."

Though it seems that Evan agrees with Hotaru in any case as he starts breaking down the rifle into a much smaller weapon, stowing the extra parts in a backpack which he slings over one shoulder.

"They'll figure it out eventually. We'd best be scarce."
    Last edited by DoomITP; 2015-03-02 at 01:31 PM.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Pixie in the Playground

[Dwarven Portal Quest]

Well, the guardian golems are still there, of course. Except now they are now stomping around randomly with swords in hand. The barrier of unknown material is still there as well, but now devoid of an ongoing power source it has faded to transparency, showing a heavily barricaded door of some metal behind it.

Progress, certainly!

14. - Top - End - #254
    Orc in the Playground

To Sandy Oaks

Phil will find that, as it is a flintlock pistol, it is far simpler than the weapon carried by Zither- no magazine of bullets, no safety catch, no automatic/semi-automatic fire selectory bit (I don't know anything about guns, so I can't help much here). It has a trigger, which moves the hammer, which holds a small chunk of flint that makes a spark when it hits the pan which holds the gunpowder. Bullets are small, round lead balls that are pushed down the barrel. Other things might be involved, but I don't know enough about guns.

"I say that the people of Greater Littlewood were involved in an unpleasant trade, but when they found out what I was, and saw the stump that was my tail, they bought me, trained me as a mechanic, and gave me a place to live where I was safe from all the creatures out here. Slaving's an unpleasant bit of business, but despite that they were good people. What you do, and where you go is up to you. First chance I get, I'll go back to the Tower and see if anyone's still there." Zither slows down, turning a corner as gently as she can manage.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

15. - Top - End - #255
    Orc in the Playground

A Simple Contract

"Yes, we'd best." She says, following him. "Meanwhile, you can tell me more about the target. Who was he, anyway? That seemed kinda personal. The way you rushed to kneecap him..." She takes out her canteen and sips from it. "... like you wanted a reason to go ahead. At the same time, it was like somewhere in there you wanted a reason to stop. Or maybe you never really thought about it."

To Sandy Oaks

Hotaru is silent for a moment as she thinks on Zither's words. "That seems a bit contradictory. I appreciate the fair warning, but how can slavers be good people? THEY ARE ALL SCUM!" Hotaru hits her fist on the dashboard. She closes her eyes and takes a deep breath. "Sorry for yelling. It's just..." She shakes her head. "I really, really hate slavers."

She keeps quiet for about 5 seconds. "If you ever need help in checking out the tower, feel free to ask." Hotaru pats Zither lightly on the shoulder.

16. - Top - End - #256

[Dwarven Portal Quest]

Golems, you're being very troublesome. Would you kindly go back to being quiet unmoving sentinels?
    No?
    There were plans for this. Their own golems are weak, crumbly things. And they couldn't transport the capable ones from home; too heavy. But they might be good as a distraction. The breaker blade should be able to hurt them, and although they're much bigger and stronger than Archangel, the harness should be about as strong. They are a bit short on things that could hurt the golems.
    So, if they can be avoided, that would be great.

Archangel stops a good way away, with the golems just barely in view, and presses her thumb to one of the several rings on her right hand. Her voice, and all sorts of other sounds, get whisked away to where she wants to put them.
    The sound of footsteps and carefree humming approaches the magical guards, then talking, discussing the place. Do the living statues care?
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

17. - Top - End - #257

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Eagle View Post
    A Simple Contract

"Yes, we'd best." She says, following him. "Meanwhile, you can tell me more about the target. Who was he, anyway? That seemed kinda personal. The way you rushed to kneecap him..." She takes out her canteen and sips from it. "... like you wanted a reason to go ahead. At the same time, it was like somewhere in there you wanted a reason to stop. Or maybe you never really thought about it."

To Sandy Oaks

Hotaru is silent for a moment as she thinks on Zither's words. "That seems a bit contradictory. I appreciate the fair warning, but how can slavers be good people? THEY ARE ALL SCUM!" Hotaru hits her fist on the dashboard. She closes her eyes and takes a deep breath. "Sorry for yelling. It's just..." She shakes her head. "I really, really hate slavers."

She keeps quiet for about 5 seconds. "If you ever need help in checking out the tower, feel free to ask." Hotaru pats Zither lightly on the shoulder.
    A Simple Contract

Evan nods, stomach twisting and threatening to make him puke.

John Armire was my dad.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Orc in the Playground

A Simple Contract

Electricity arcs around Hotaru's body when she hears the words. She starts breathing heavily. "Was. He's not even dead yet, and you've disowned him." Tears start to fall from her eyes, though she maintains the same annoyed facial expression. "Tell me, how does it make you feel knowing that you just kneecapped your dad? I bet it feels wonderful, I can relate. But even someone like me who used to be a trained killer has her limits."

19. - Top - End - #259

A Simple Contract

Evan shakes his head, face frowning and body shaking as Hotaru speaks.

However bad it feels, it still doesn't feel as bad as when he gave the authorities my name at his trial, condemning me to death. He was never a good person but he was all I had. For him, the only person I trusted at the time to do that to me...

Evan can't seem to finish his sentence, abruptly cutting himself off.
    Last edited by DoomITP; 2015-03-02 at 10:07 PM.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Pixie in the Playground

[Dwarven Portal Quest]

They do appear to care, as they both abruptly stop patrolling and turn to face the entrance to the platform, swords at the ready.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbane View Post
    Desert

The General gives a nod before looking at his relative, gesturing for him to stand and come closer. After Belisarius does so, he reaches out to pull off his nephew's right pauldron, tearing it away. "I'll be sure that this goes to your mother." He promises as a servant comes forward and offer a large two-handed boarding axe made of black and red crystal. "And take this with you. Guard her well and do our family proud."

"I will, Uncle."
    Belisarius promises as The General leans back and closes his eyes, resting. Taking it as a sign to leave, Belisarius gives Lyn a nod before heading back to his own tent in order to begin packing things. He's quiet, probably thinking of what lay before them.

Desert

Lyn is very quiet as she returns to the tent with Bel. She's fairly sure she just was witness to a very personal event. Nearly a funeral, in a sense.
    "Is it...common for a soldier to leave once their time is done? You seemed to have this planned beforehand, so were you going to strike out on your own before I came here?" she asks quietly.

A Stone Table

Walter is back here again. Still in a rather inexpensive jacket against the cold, still with short black hair and fair complexion, reading out of a tome he should have discarded long ago, setting up a magic circle he shouldn't be drawing (or with that many points), lighting candles that should really be different colors, the works. The teenager is sure that this time he'll get what he wants. He's through with talky-beings. Clearly summoning them is nothing but trouble. He really liked the wings he got from the last one, but they lasted for such a short time that he already misses them. He even got a few compliments, which did wonders for his confidence.

So here he is, trying to get them back, or at least something as cool. He's aiming for an animal spirit this time, or at least one associated with animals. The kind of thing that could deal in a nice set of wings. And if not, because he was too vague to ask for a bird, well, he can ask for something that it can provide. He's clearly not skilled enough to be calling for specific kinds of spirits, judging from the previous results.
    [closed]
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

22. - Top - End - #262
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Eagle View Post
    To Sandy Oaks

To Sandy Oaks

Phil nods at her reaction. "Anger is a valuable resource to a Power mage," he said to himself, almost as if he were remembering a quote from a textbook. "It is the natural reaction to injustice and oppression, and useful for destabilizing an opponent. It can be used to unite, divide, or distract, if wielded carefully. Yet it is unreliable for long term control, as it is prone to turn against you and spread chaos. Fear is a much more useful tool in that regard." It was Phil's turn to pause. "Hate and love are the two fastest ways to give someone power over you. Best never to forget that. This does not mean avoid them, but always be aware of where the threads of power lie."

23. - Top - End - #263

[Dwarven Portal Quest]

"Statues! Servants of the accursed sun! Come out, if you think you can stop me."
    No, they probably won't understand anything, but thinking of random sound to speak gets hard.
    One of the clumsy golems is directed forward, to where the voice sounds from.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

24. - Top - End - #264
    Orc in the Playground

To Sandy Oaks

"Greater Littlewood was a slaver town. That doesn't make everyone there a slaver, no more than everyone at a mining town's a miner. There's farmers, to provide food. A mechanic, to repair the vehicles. A doctor, to treat any injuries. A shopkeep to sell the things everyone needs, and a pub to entertain everyone at the end of the day. The slavers spent their days looking for vulnerable towns to raid, or going to Skyside to sell the ones they'd caught. Thanks for the offer." The van bumps and rattles its way along the road. Visible over the next rise is the top of a spire, like the ones at a church. Seems they're nearly there.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

25. - Top - End - #265
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordDeathkeeper View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Desert

Lyn is very quiet as she returns to the tent with Bel. She's fairly sure she just was witness to a very personal event. Nearly a funeral, in a sense.
    "Is it...common for a soldier to leave once their time is done? You seemed to have this planned beforehand, so were you going to strike out on your own before I came here?" she asks quietly.

A Stone Table

Walter is back here again. Still in a rather inexpensive jacket against the cold, still with short black hair and fair complexion, reading out of a tome he should have discarded long ago, setting up a magic circle he shouldn't be drawing (or with that many points), lighting candles that should really be different colors, the works. The teenager is sure that this time he'll get what he wants. He's through with talky-beings. Clearly summoning them is nothing but trouble. He really liked the wings he got from the last one, but they lasted for such a short time that he already misses them. He even got a few compliments, which did wonders for his confidence.

So here he is, trying to get them back, or at least something as cool. He's aiming for an animal spirit this time, or at least one associated with animals. The kind of thing that could deal in a nice set of wings. And if not, because he was too vague to ask for a bird, well, he can ask for something that it can provide. He's clearly not skilled enough to be calling for specific kinds of spirits, judging from the previous results.
    [closed]
    A Stone Table

A fading occurs, a dimming of colour and muffling of sound as the sensations of the earth and air are dulled by the thing called forth. A measure of skill, or perhaps luck, was with Walter today as the thing he summons forth comes antlers-first through the fog of existence, as if the world was lending its essence to the being that solidifies in his presence.

Antlers, rather large ones for the miniscule yet not frail humanoid shape that is still twitching its muscles slightly, testing its state gently as it becomes used to corporeality. The slender limbs bely an almost cruel power contained beneath the surface, not quite radiating forth, but visibly straining its... no, her body as the shape of her finally becomes apparent, the forcefulness of reality snapping back into place making everything seem crystal clear in the aftermath of that long moment of summoning.

Walter catches a scant glimpse of her form in full before the furs drape themselves across her body, one tied tightly across a modest bust, the other resting high on a jutting hip and drifting down lazily over the other side. Despite her posture, there's nothing sensual in the woman's demeanour, just a healthy curiosity in her one, wide, visible eye. The other is hidden behind the cascade of dull brown bangs that trail along the right side of her face. Her antlers seem to be the only obviously inhuman part of her, and her eye clasps on Walter after a few moments, causing her to freeze even her flexing and shifting movements.

"uhhhhh Hi?"
    Last edited by Slii Arhem; 2015-03-03 at 04:21 PM.
    Julie, everyone's nth favorite succubus, by Gulaghar.
    An amazing Misha, Mimi, and Riss painting done by Ofride.
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

A Stone Table

Walter smiles a bit at the results. At least this seems to be what he wanted. Not an avian, but he hadn't been entirely expecting one. And while he looks her over a bit, his gaze doesn't hang on her for very long. If he wanted sensual he'd have gone home and tried asking Hearts to pose or something.
    "Greetings, Spirit. I've called you here to do business, as I wish to make a deal with you." he says formally, confidence in his eyes. Then his tone softens as doubt muscles in.
    "If you're not the kind that does things like that I apologize and I can send you back." he says quite a bit less loudly.

27. - Top - End - #267

A Stone Table

The figure just tilts her head, looking more and more confused by every word, especially his last statement. She almost looks like she doesn't know where to begin with her questions, but eventually settles on a correction.

"I don't think I'm a spirit." She thumps herself on the collarbone, nodding satisfied at the loud thump of meat on meat, "Yeah, pretty solid. And I don't know what you mean by back. Back where?" That seems to be the main thing her mind has hitched up on. If he was sending her back somewhere, wouldn't she have had to come from there first?
    For anyone in plots run by me, know that I always tailor solutions to those in the plot. The answer may not be obvious, but it's there, and doable by the displayed abilities of the present characters. If you need help or hints, I'll try to be available to provide them.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

A Stone Table

Walter raises an eyebrow.
    "Oh, well what term would you prefer? I only meant that since you weren't here a minute ago, you probably came from somewhere. What kind of being are you? What can you do?" he asks. He hopes she's just a bit addled and not the kind of being who doesn't really get conversation.

29. - Top - End - #269

A Stone Table

"I just am. As far as I know, I've always been around. Or almost always anyway. Just not really this way I guess. Can't really remember." She seems to be more sure of herself than she is of his statements, and looks around before nodding to herself again, "I remember this place pretty well, yeah. Lot of good springs here."

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

A Stone Table

Well, this is going well. Walter resists a sigh. He's already convinced he's not going to get anything out of this one.
    "Okay, well...tell me about yourself. Do you have a name? Something you do? Just 'am' doesn't really give me much of an idea about you." he says, trying to sound friendly.