New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default New to 2nd edition. need some assistance please

Hi. I am just about to play a campaign tomorrow with some people and i need a little assistance with my elf ranger lvl 1

1.I am in the process of making a lvl 1 ranger which currently has a ac of 3. Is that good since im wearing studded leather

2. my Thaco with my composite longbow is 16. Is that good

3. The DM has said that we can play with the sub abilties. my dex is 19 so i can change my balance to 21 which gives me a ac of 2 but my aim is then 17 which increases my thaco with my range to 17 instead of 16. any thoughts or should i just leave it at 19/19 which is ac 3 and thaco of 16.
    any assistance with these questions would be awesome

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: New to 2nd edition. need some assistance please

Any assistance would be wonderfull

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

AC 10 is the worst and AC 0 is really good, so having AC 3 at level 1 is pretty good, yeah.

A typical level 1 character has a THAC0 of 19 or 20, so having a THAC0 of 16 at 1st level is also pretty good.

I can't answer your third question, as I know nothing about Player's Option.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    AC 10 is the worst and AC 0 is really good, so having AC 3 at level 1 is pretty good, yeah.

A typical level 1 character has a THAC0 of 19 or 20, so having a THAC0 of 16 at 1st level is also pretty good.

I can't answer your third question, as I know nothing about Player's Option.
    Thanks for the response

I Did have a look at something on my character sheet which im curious about. I currently had 19 AIM and Balance and then i changed it to 21 Balance and 17 Aim so there is 4 point difference there and when i did that This is what happened. My ac went from 3 to 2 and my Range thaco went to 18 from 17 and my missile thaco0 went from 16 to 17. and then i leveled to lvl 2 and notice my range thaco went back to 17 and my missile thaco0 went back to 16 so perhaps the extra is a good thing since my thaco will return to normal at lvl 2
    Last edited by AlphaStorm; 2015-02-14 at 04:10 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

A warrior's (Fighter/Ranger/Paladin) THAC0 improves by one point per level. I personally have never used the 'split' attributes, so I can't really help you too much. It comes down to whether you prefer to better at hitting or at avoiding being hit.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

6. - Top - End - #6
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaStorm View Post
    3. The DM has said that we can play with the sub abilties. my dex is 19 so i can change my balance to 21 which gives me a ac of 2 but my aim is then 17 which increases my thaco with my range to 17 instead of 16. any thoughts or should i just leave it at 19/19 which is ac 3 and thaco of 16.
    any assistance with these questions would be awesome
    On this one, it's kinda a wash. Subabilities were a poorly thought out idea that pretty much worked only for min/maxxing.

In your case, stick with 19/19.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    On this one, it's kinda a wash. Subabilities were a poorly thought out idea that pretty much worked only for min/maxxing.

In your case, stick with 19/19.
    I never cared for subabilities, no just no.

John
    On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true.- Elminster of Shadowdale

Long live Alias and Dragonbait!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Happy to dissent... I loved the concept of subabilities and think the mechanics of them work just fine. Effectively fine tuning the 'nature' of your dex can be quite satisfying, even if only for an extra point or two...
    Last edited by VincentTakeda; 2015-02-25 at 08:02 AM.