New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Life and Times at East Marshall High - IC Thread II: A Song of Freaks and Geeks

As the battle rages on, the teamwork between the players shows through. Most of the players are able to handle the band of orcs thrown at them, though Cailin and Lori very nearly go down due to a string of unlucky rolls. However, the rest of the team is able to cover for them enough to keep them alive. Of course, things couldn't stay perfect forever, as the immersion was broken at a critical moment when the girls realized Darren was spying on them.

As he tried to stammer out excuses for what he was doing, Claire had the perfect opening to fudge an otherwise disastrous '1' into a '20' without any of the other players (or the DM) noticing. Darren was eventually shooed out, but sadly the moment was cheapened by his interruption, and the rest of the battle lacked the immersion Rebecca was hoping for.

After the head Ogre goes down (thanks to a Venomfire-enhanced blow from a Thri-kreen axe), Robert sighs, "Man, that was a close one. So, um... would it be considered unlawful of me to take their stuff?"

Spoiler: Results
    Show
    Claire and Maya get +2 VP; Sakuya, Suki, Jill, and Molly get +1 VP

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Life and Times at East Marshall High - IC Thread II: A Song of Freaks and Geeks

"Not in the least. It's an adventuring tradition!"
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Life and Times at East Marshall High - IC Thread II: A Song of Freaks and Geeks

St. Aredhel could've wished for less greedy allies, but this was only a pale shadow of what awaited her when they actually got to the dragon. Dragons were known for hoards, after all, and with a group like this...it'd be amazing if they didn't kill eachother over it.

Archivists are healers, among other things, and so St. Aredhel heals people who got hurt, particularly the two who got badly wounded.

That should help.

4. - Top - End - #4

RedKnightGirl

"Indeed. The game is based around having a certain amount of gold relative to your level. This gold can take the form of actual coinage or items of some measure of worth. Most notably enchanted items," Claire explained. "Most of this wealth is obtained by looting dead bodies and taking goods from the home of monstrous creatures. The amount earned due to outside work as a reward for quests is minimal. As such it is expected we take the good of fallen foes. In addition since the game is based on having a certain amount of gold per level surpassing that amount swings things in the parties favor. We should sell everything we can get our hands on."

Speaking of which... "Two quick questions Becca. Firstly may I use my one rank in Profession: Butcher to extract organs? Secondly is there any kind of trade in orc and ogre organs?"
    Last edited by Anubis Dread; 2015-02-14 at 10:27 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Angelalex242 View Post
    St. Aredhel could've wished for less greedy allies, but this was only a pale shadow of what awaited her when they actually got to the dragon. Dragons were known for hoards, after all, and with a group like this...it'd be amazing if they didn't kill each other over it.

Archivists are healers, among other things, and so St. Aredhel heals people who got hurt, particularly the two who got badly wounded.

That should help.
    "Thank you, Aredhel." Robert said in his Cailin voice, "Though death is inevitable, your actions to stay its hand are welcome."

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis Dread View Post
    "Indeed. The game is based around having a certain amount of gold relative to your level. This gold can take the form of actual coinage or items of some measure of worth. Most notably enchanted items," Claire explained. "Most of this wealth is obtained by looting dead bodies and taking goods from the home of monstrous creatures. The amount earned due to outside work as a reward for quests is minimal. As such it is expected we take the good of fallen foes. In addition since the game is based on having a certain amount of gold per level surpassing that amount swings things in the parties favor. We should sell everything we can get our hands on."

Speaking of which... "Two quick questions Becca. Firstly may I use my one rank in Profession: Butcher to extract organs? Secondly is there any kind of trade in orc and ogre organs?"
    "Alright, then I guess I'll see what they have, though in a way that doesn't completely desecrate their corpses." He raised his brow at Claire's question, "Somehow, I doubt it. Though if there is a legal trade, does that mean Cailin would be ok with it? I mean, it sounds kind of serial killer-ish to me, but he is lawful neutral, so if it's legal..."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

"A lawful person isn't always the one who obeys laws. Sometimes they are just disciplined, liking to maintain personal order. Now, my question was not answered," she says, making a gesture with the weapons as though cutting meat off a turkey. "These guys too human for me to cut off a slab to snack on?"

Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The TechnoGnome View Post
    "Thank you, Aredhel." Robert said in his Cailin voice, "Though death is inevitable, your actions to stay its hand are welcome."

"Alright, then I guess I'll see what they have, though in a way that doesn't completely desecrate their corpses." He raised his brow at Claire's question, "Somehow, I doubt it. Though if there is a legal trade, does that mean Cailin would be ok with it? I mean, it sounds kind of serial killer-ish to me, but he is lawful neutral, so if it's legal..."
    It is legal. Though right now you don't have the time to keep the organs preserved. Unless Maya has gentle repose prepared Becca replied.

Quote Originally Posted by Esprit15 View Post
    "A lawful person isn't always the one who obeys laws. Sometimes they are just disciplined, liking to maintain personal order. Now, my question was not answered," she says, making a gesture with the weapons as though cutting meat off a turkey. "These guys too human for me to cut off a slab to snack on?"
    BoVD defines eating any creature with a 3 Int or higher as evil. Then again it also describes BDSM as evil, so I'm not sure. Becca replied.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

8. - Top - End - #8

RedKnightGirl

"Intriguing. In that case I suppose it would be best to simply bring the whole bodies to sell as cadavers," Claire mused. She was glad Sakuya had asked that question. She would hate to ask it herself after the earlier debate.

9. - Top - End - #9

Jill stammers for a moment as if to protest, but finally thinks better of it. "While you guys cart off the bodies to sell, Astrid becomes very interested in a spot of lint on her skirt, and notices none of the proceedings." Just be glad they're leaving the bodies intact.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

"Why are ye oppressing my culture!" Sakuya says, laughing. "Out of character, they are described as seeing most people as either predator or prey, though racially tending toward chaotic neutral, if that is worth anything. If I am allowed, I'll pick one of the shrimpy ones, leaving the best corpses for our Necromancer friend."
    Spoiler
    Show
    For further argument: "Cannibalism: Cannibals are creatures that eat others of their own kind. In the broader sense, cannibals may be defined as creatures that eat other intelligent creatures for whatever perverted pleasure they gain from it." p10

Being that we are not even of the same creature type (humanoid versus monsterous humanoid, IIRC), they would likely be different enough to not be considered Chik'Tak's own kind. Furthermore, evil cannibalism is described as being for pleasure, not simply for sustinence.
    Last edited by Esprit15; 2015-02-14 at 01:14 PM.

Show

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    BoVD defines eating any creature with a 3 Int or higher as evil. Then again it also describes BDSM as evil, so I'm not sure. Becca replied.
    I did have it prepared, but I just converted it to a cure to heal the wounded, sorry. And...yeah, I'm going to have to object to eating sentients. Cannibalism is...on a whole different level then two consenting adults. There's a reason the former is a crime and the latter is not.

Maya's not trying to ruin anybody's fun, but she'd rather people didn't emulate Hannibal Lecter. Or Atilla the Hun for that matter.

12. - Top - End - #12

I did have it prepared, but I just converted it to a cure to heal the wounded, sorry. And...yeah, I'm going to have to object to eating sentients. Cannibalism is...on a whole different level then two consenting adults. There's a reason the former is a crime and the latter is not.

Maya's not trying to ruin anybody's fun, but she'd rather people didn't emulate Hannibal Lecter. Or Atilla the Hun for that matter.
    I don't think Archivist can do that. Becca objected.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

13. - Top - End - #13

I don't think Archivist can do that. Becca objected.
    There's a feat for it. There's a similar feat that lets you convert spells to summon nature's ally, but I don't have it yet. But since our group is shy a cleric, I figured we need the positive energy conversion feat first.

14. - Top - End - #14

There's a feat for it. There's a similar feat that lets you convert spells to summon nature's ally, but I don't have it yet. But since our group is shy a cleric, I figured we need the positive energy conversion feat first.
    That only works so often. Becca pointed out.

15. - Top - End - #15

That only works so often. Becca pointed out.
    True, which is why I needed to memorize a certain amount of actual cure spells too. I did predict something like this might happen. It always does.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

"Yeah, I think eating sentients kind of crosses a line, even for a neutral person" Robert said, "I mean, if we go by that logic, there's technically nothing stopping my character from eating half the group."

"Intriguing. In that case I suppose it would be best to simply bring the whole bodies to sell as cadavers," Claire mused. She was glad Sakuya had asked that question. She would hate to ask it herself after the earlier debate.
    "That does seem viable, though. I mean, are there universities or wizardry schools that would take them? I think Cailin would be interested in advancing scientific thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Amaril View Post
    Jill stammers for a moment as if to protest, but finally thinks better of it. "While you guys cart off the bodies to sell, Astrid becomes very interested in a spot of lint on her skirt, and notices none of the proceedings." Just be glad they're leaving the bodies intact.
    Robert looks at Jill, "Wait, that seems highly unlikely. I mean, we're probably chucking them in wheelbarrows at this point, I don't se how lint would distract her that much..."

He frowned, "Or is Astrid morally opposed to this sort of thing after all?"

17. - Top - End - #17

RedKnightGirl

"During this time period and with the existence of magic there would be two main sources to sell these bodies to," Claire replies. "The first is medical practitioners. The ratio of clerics to commoners is ludicrously low. Many commoners would still need to see an expert trained in medicine rather than a cleric. These experts are rather like medieval doctors. Having bodies to study to improve their craft would be a net benefit to the community. The second buyer would be those wishing to craft flesh golems and make undead. Though less lawful and less good we can avoid any negative repercussions alignment wise by just not asking what they do with the bodies. If we do not know we can assume they are legitimate."

18. - Top - End - #18

"Yeah, I think eating sentients kind of crosses a line, even for a neutral person" Robert said, "I mean, if we go by that logic, there's technically nothing stopping my character from eating half the group."

"That does seem viable, though. I mean, are there universities or wizardry schools that would take them? I think Cailin would be interested in advancing scientific thought.

Robert looks at Jill, "Wait, that seems highly unlikely. I mean, we're probably chucking them in wheelbarrows at this point, I don't se how lint would distract her that much..."

He frowned, "Or is Astrid morally opposed to this sort of thing after all?"
    I'm going to go out on a limb and bet Astrid's with me in the 'morally opposed' to this sort of thing category. When it comes to the dead, bury them. Take their stuff, sure, even I can donate it if I feel I must, but the corpses...leave them to the earth, or the fire if your religion prefers cremation.

19. - Top - End - #19

"Yeah, Cailin knows what's up" Jill nods. "I don't think Astrid would support selling corpses to necromancers, but I don't want to hold up the game arguing. Although I didn't think about donating them for science, though...actually she'd probably be fine with that, as long as the buyer was legit."
    Last edited by Amaril; 2015-02-14 at 10:30 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

"During this time period and with the existence of magic there would be two main sources to sell these bodies to," Claire replies. "The first is medical practitioners. The ratio of clerics to commoners is ludicrously low. Many commoners would still need to see an expert trained in medicine rather than a cleric. These experts are rather like medieval doctors. Having bodies to study to improve their craft would be a net benefit to the community. The second buyer would be those wishing to craft flesh golems and make undead. Though less lawful and less good we can avoid any negative repercussions alignment wise by just not asking what they do with the bodies. If we do not know we can assume they are legitimate."
    "Yeeeeeah, I would much rather go with the first option if we could. He may be a man of knowledge, but I'm pretty sure Cailin wouldn't approve of selling the bodies to necromancers." He gives a sidelong glance to Erica, "Even the friendlier ones."

I'm going to go out on a limb and bet Astrid's with me in the 'morally opposed' to this sort of thing category. When it comes to the dead, bury them. Take their stuff, sure, even I can donate it if I feel I must, but the corpses...leave them to the earth, or the fire if your religion prefers cremation.
    "Yeah, but surely you can advocate for the ever expanding quest for knowledge, can't you? I mean, how much do you think people really know about orc anatomy in this world. We could help make biological and medical breakthroughs!"

Quote Originally Posted by Amaril View Post
    "Yeah, Cailin knows what's up" Jill nods. "I don't think Astrid would support selling corpses to necromancers, but I don't want to hold up the game arguing. Although I didn't think about donating them for science, though...actually she'd probably be fine with that, as long as the buyer was legit."
    "Yeah, that's what I was thinking," Robert said with a nod, "After all, us advancing the cause of medicine, anatomy, and the natural sciences could be nothing but good. Of course, if we can't find a way to preserve the corpses long enough to find an academy willing to buy them, the argument is rendered moot. And I highly doubt any of us are carrying tubs of formaldehyde that we could use."

21. - Top - End - #21

"Yeeeeeah, I would much rather go with the first option if we could. He may be a man of knowledge, but I'm pretty sure Cailin wouldn't approve of selling the bodies to necromancers." He gives a sidelong glance to Erica, "Even the friendlier ones."

"Yeah, but surely you can advocate for the ever expanding quest for knowledge, can't you? I mean, how much do you think people really know about orc anatomy in this world. We could help make biological and medical breakthroughs!"

"Yeah, that's what I was thinking," Robert said with a nod, "After all, us advancing the cause of medicine, anatomy, and the natural sciences could be nothing but good. Of course, if we can't find a way to preserve the corpses long enough to find an academy willing to buy them, the argument is rendered moot. And I highly doubt any of us are carrying tubs of formaldehyde that we could use."
    There is no formaldehyde. However, there's a magical equivalent called Gentle Repose. Sadly, I had to convert it to a cure spell. I figured with a butcher in the party, she'd want samples...but preserving those still alive is more important then preserving the dead.

22. - Top - End - #22

RedKnightGirl

"I do not. I do however have one rank in Craft: Taxidermy. Would that help preserve the bodies?" Claire asked. "If not I could simply stuff the orcs and ogres and sell them as trophies. There would likely be a market for them."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

"We damnation, guess I'll be eating your dry, terrible food... says Chik'Tak," Sakuya says, taking a disappointed pose. "I like how we are getting all torn up over the ethics of disposal of orc and ogre bodies. They attacked us, we killed them."

Show

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

There is no formaldehyde. However, there's a magical equivalent called Gentle Repose. Sadly, I had to convert it to a cure spell. I figured with a butcher in the party, she'd want samples...but preserving those still alive is more important then preserving the dead.
    "I got to admit, despite being one of the people advocating the selling of dead bodies, I still find it a little disturbing that a 'saint' is perfectly ok with organ harvesting."

"I do not. I do however have one rank in Craft: Taxidermy. Would that help preserve the bodies?" Claire asked. "If not I could simply stuff the orcs and ogres and sell them as trophies. There would likely be a market for them."
    Robert looks at Claire, dumbstruck, "Is that even a real skill? I mean, if it's possible, we could probably sell them to academies anyway, but probably for not as much."

"We damnation, guess I'll be eating your dry, terrible food... says Chik'Tak," Sakuya says, taking a disappointed pose. "I like how we are getting all torn up over the ethics of disposal of orc and ogre bodies. They attacked us, we killed them."
    "Our concern is about what level of respect they deserve after death. After all..." Robert slips into character at this point, "Everything plays a part in the grand procession of life, even if you cannot see it yourself."
    Last edited by The TechnoGnome; 2015-02-15 at 01:23 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25

"I got to admit, despite being one of the people advocating the selling of dead bodies, I still find it a little disturbing that a 'saint' is perfectly ok with organ harvesting."
    I don't cast on sentient beings. And, there's a lot of spell components, particularly for druidic spells, that require parts of animals or even monsters be harvested. The spells with such components aren't classed as evil, so they're spells I can cast, so long as they're used for good, or better saintly purposes. You probably haven't looked at the spell components lately, having played a monk, but you'd be surprised how many are body parts of creatures.

Gentle Repose's more common use is when a friend falls in battle. It makes it possible to get him to the clerics for raise dead, which is cheaper then resurrection.

Maya cheerfully hands over her copy of the PHB, to the section on spells. With the big long list of spells with material components.
    Last edited by Angelalex242; 2015-02-15 at 02:07 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, what I can see is me life is wanting a grand procession o' t'at ogre's ribs, but apparently ye t'ink t'at unet'ical."
    Last edited by Esprit15; 2015-02-15 at 05:30 AM.

Show

27. - Top - End - #27

RedKnightGirl

"I do not," Claire pointed out. "But yes at this stage if we're too far from town it would be better for me to simply spend a few hours turning them all into stuffed trophies and sell those. Though I believe I could also turn them all into elaborate puppets if you believe those would sell better," she mused.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

"Well, what I can see is me life is wanting a grand procession o' t'at ogre's ribs, but apparently ye t'ink t'at unet'ical."
    Robert can't help but roll his eyes at her psuedo-Scottish accent. Man, and people gave me crap for my accent at Homecoming.

"You need to learn restraint, young one. Perhaps meditating on your choices in life will help to channel your fury in more productive ways. After all, rage is like a fire: the hotter it burns, the less it can be controlled."

"I do not," Claire pointed out. "But yes at this stage if we're too far from town it would be better for me to simply spend a few hours turning them all into stuffed trophies and sell those. Though I believe I could also turn them all into elaborate puppets if you believe those would sell better," she mused.
    "Point." Robert said, "Alright, so we're all in agreement then? The Princess stuffs the ogres to sell to a reputable buyer later, the Thri-Kreen gets her ogre ribs, and everyone's happy." It's at this point Robert realizes something, "Hey Becca, did these guys have any prisoners that need freeing?"

29. - Top - End - #29

There's still the part where that condones cannibalism. Preserving animal parts is an unfortunate, but necessary part of 3.5 spellcasting. Letting someone eat someone else, even an enemy, goes too far.

Naturally, if they had any captives. St. Aredhel will free them.
    Last edited by Angelalex242; 2015-02-15 at 08:56 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

"Astrid will help tend to the prisoners if there are any, too" Jill agrees. "I mean, I can't heal or anything, but I'll try and calm them down, make sure they know they're safe." She frowns ponderously for a moment, trying to puzzle out a justification for Sakuya's ogre ribs that would make Maya happy. "Look at it this way, Maya. The fluff for thri-kreen says they eat mammalian humanoids as part of their natural diet. For us, it's an Evil act because we weren't designed to do it by the gods who made our species, but for a thri-kreen, it's just their ecology; it's like a wolf eating a human, or a lion. Is that enough to let this thing drop and get on with the game?"