New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 44 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Bleach X: Deicide (this time for real)

Quote Originally Posted by The Troubadour View Post
    You know, I still enjoy "Bleach", I liked some of Kubo's artistic decisions which didn't go over well with many (most?) of the fans (like the "The Heart" spread), and I even think some developments and scenes which also didn't go over too well with the fanbase were actually quite reasonable (such as Resurreccion!Tousen being taken down by a sneak attack, the reveal of Komamura's origins or Kenpachi's fight with the Stern Ritter with the Green Lantern powers)... But Kubo's pacing is just terrible. It's probably not a fair comparison, but I've been re-reading my super-hero comics collection and by God, some writers could fill an issue with so much plot, character development and action scenes that they make "Bleach" look like a soap opera!
    You know you have issues when comic books are being compared favourably too you.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    You know you have issues when comic books are being compared favourably too you.
    Hey, now, there are several excellent comic book runs or series. They're much like any other mass-produced works of art: it's an ocean of averageness or low quality, but there are plenty of good-or-higher-quality material out there.

And when it comes to filler, older super-hero comics tend to be superior to manga. Before the time when writing for trade paperbacks became the norm, they had to write issues with self-contained stories, or at most stories that lasted 4-6 issues, so the writer had to cram as much content as possible - and the best ones did it without it feeling like "cramming" at all!
    Last edited by The Troubadour; 2015-05-30 at 08:29 AM.

3. - Top - End - #333

Hey, now, there are several excellent comic book runs or series. They're much like any other mass-produced works of art: it's an ocean of averageness or low quality, but there are plenty of good-or-higher-quality material out there.

And when it comes to filler, older super-hero comics tend to be superior to manga. Before the time when writing for trade paperbacks became the norm, they had to write issues with self-contained stories, or at most stories that lasted 4-6 issues, so the writer had to cram as much content as possible - and the best ones did it without it feeling like "cramming" at all!
    Oh sure yeah there are great comics, but I'll admit I'm probably just way to disdainful for how comics as a whole are written. They never really end and with all the shifting writers and artists it leads to a series losing what it had. Manga usually doesn't have this problem.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Also what the databooks say about Kenpachi and Ichigo's Zanpakuto has no bearing on this conversation.
    {scrubbed}

The Reveal that Ichigo's Hollow and Shinigami powers were two halves of the same whole. It came bundled with an implication that The Old Man and Zangetsu were two halves of the same Spirit, which turned out to be a lie, but it did become true later when Ichigo made them the same spirit.
    {scrubbed}

The fact that the Vizard's speech implies that they killed their inner hollows,
    And when they said they defeated it, they really meant they killed it so they lied too.

All of this leads up to "Nothing But the Rain" which reveals that Ichigo was part hollow from birth.
    And that's not even remotely true, and following that is this two chapter part labeled the blade is me where Ichigo him self confirms black Zangetsu is a Zanpakuto and a Zanpakuto is nothing more than him self, you know, the same exact things they said in Decide that was apparently a lie. That's all a lie too.

This is several years worth of evidence, vs your one piece of evidence that is easily explained by other events.
    {scrubbed}
    Last edited by Haruki-kun; 2015-05-30 at 11:23 PM.

5. - Top - End - #335

{scrubbed}
    Last edited by Haruki-kun; 2015-05-30 at 11:13 PM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #336

SwashbucklerGuy

[...] but I'll admit I'm probably just way to disdainful for how comics as a whole are written. They never really end and with all the shifting writers and artists it leads to a series losing what it had.
    Oh, I fully agree with this. It's why I tend to limit myself to specific runs (like Walt Simonsen's on "Thor") when collecting comics.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Firbolg in the Playground

One thing Rater said made me wonder...

So Ichigo's earlier bankai may either have not been his true bankai or not a bankai at all.

I wonder what his new one will be.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Oh sure yeah there are great comics, but I'll admit I'm probably just way to disdainful for how comics as a whole are written. They never really end and with all the shifting writers and artists it leads to a series losing what it had. Manga usually doesn't have this problem.
    Comics as a whole, or do you mean chiefly "DC Universe"- and "Marvel Universe"- based comics as a whole? Because I'm pretty that there's a wealth of other mainstream publications that have only one or two writers. Not sure about Marvel, but DC has plenty of stand-alone, writer-light, alternatives under Vertigo, some of which are critically acclaimed.

Edit: Oh, and apparently we had a Bleach chapter this week. Hurray!
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2015-05-31 at 08:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

9. - Top - End - #339

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Comics as a whole, or do you mean chiefly "DC Universe"- and "Marvel Universe"- based comics as a whole? Because I'm pretty that there's a wealth of other mainstream publications that have only one or two writers. Not sure about Marvel, but DC has plenty of stand-alone, writer-light, alternatives under Vertigo, some of which are critically acclaimed.

Edit: Oh, and apparently we had a Bleach chapter this week. Hurray!
    I tend to mean in general but I really mean the big two.

My personal opinion is that I hope Boku no Hero becomes so popular that DC and Marvel look at it, realize how great it is, and just stop making comic books and stick solely to what they're good at (animated badass tv shows for DC, badass liveaction movies for Marvel). Because seriously, Boku no Hero Academia is all the best things about western comics without all the garbage, mixed with all the good things from manga (with an amazing art style).

Okay enough gushing about good series. Yeah we had a chapter this week. Everyone's all "oh man final dungeon time lets do it" and that's basically it. HOWEVER, to be fair, as much as I discount Bleach, the bit with our protagonists thinking about what Yoroichi's brother looks like was actually really funny. Stuff like that is what makes me so baffled that Bleach is so bad, because there are clearly moments where it harkens back to some of it's good points.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I would probably enjoy that bit if only I didn't have a character introduction burnout for Bleach. I'm guessing plenty of manga I've read had more, but it's Kubo who has that uncanny ability to make many of his characters pretty much look/act the same, with phoned-in, rehashed, character personalities and quirks.
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler: New Chapter
    Show
    STILL not a whole lot happening. But we find out were Kenny was. And surprisingly he shows a slight amount of concern for others of the SS. And the Quicy from the SS show up.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

12. - Top - End - #342

Spoiler
    Show
    So Askin Noclavar is going to be fighting all of team Ichigo solo. This'll be...interesting.

Meanwhile team Good Guy Quincy are doing something that actually seems important.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok. Quincy defectors + Espada remnants are so Vizard 2.0. Wonder who among them will get bisected this time. Meanwhile, the Quincy region Elite Four takes the top 3 (or 4) Espada rehash.

Is mangareader/panda mistranslating Wahrwelt? If I got my Deutsch right, Wahrwald sounds far less pretentious majestic.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok. Quincy defectors + Espada remnants are so Vizard 2.0. Wonder who among them will get bisected this time. Meanwhile, the Quincy region Elite Four takes the top 3 (or 4) Espada rehash.

Is mangareader/panda mistranslating Wahrwelt? If I got my Deutsch right, Wahrwald sounds far less pretentious majestic.
    Yeah a lot of explanation continuing in this chapter, but I see that changing in the near future.

@ben-zayb: The Wahrwelt is the correct translation for True World. Wald is German for forest. Check Google Translate.
    Wizard's First Rule: People will believe anything, either because they want it to be true, or they are afraid it is true.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordRahl6 View Post
    @ben-zayb: The Wahrwelt is the correct translation for True World. Wald is German for forest. Check Google Translate.
    Google Translate isn't 100% correct. A better Translation would be Correct World, not True World.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh man. For a single Quincy to hold up to Ichigo's team or the big team, they'd have to be hella buffed.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

17. - Top - End - #347
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    So Askin Noclavar is going to be fighting all of team Ichigo solo. This'll be...interesting.

Meanwhile team Good Guy Quincy are doing something that actually seems important.
    Those two are right outside the main palace already. They're either going after Yhwach themselves or they're going to try to screw him over by releasing Harribel, who should still be in there and would be a serious threat to the Quincy.

As for Askin, he's totally askin for it. *ba-dum tish!* In all seriousness, I like how things are panning out. Zaraki and Mayuri are pretty much guaranteed to end up tag teaming one of the Stern Lichter, which should be really epic to see. Grimmjow and Nel will probably end up taking Askin on so Ichigo and the others can push forward. I say that because I don't think Ichigo is going to be busting out Bankai for the rest of the year and, as the fight against Dordonii proved, Ichigo has a habit of using Bankai even when he doesn't need to.
    "Don't think of it as dying," said Death,
    "Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush."

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Askin's lethal dose ability is actually pretty scary against any opposition not named Urahara, Mayuri, Aizen, Ichibei, or Nimaiya. Unless, of course, we get another bull**** like "I've frozen all the liquid in my body, nya nya nya!"

19. - Top - End - #349

SwashbucklerGuy

Askin's lethal dose ability is actually pretty scary against any opposition not named Urahara, Mayuri, Aizen, Ichibei, or Nimaiya. Unless, of course, we get another bull**** like "I've frozen all the liquid in my body, nya nya nya!"
    I'd find that a logical use of Rukia's abilities, myself. :-)

20. - Top - End - #350

If he can alter the lethal dosage of the blood in your body, then I don't think that blood being solid will help much.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

cool Re: Bleach X: Deicide (this time for real)

I'd find that a logical use of Rukia's abilities, myself. :-)
    I'd be 100% on board only if Kubo can resist the urge to try hard making overly complex pseudoscientific explanation that doesn't really add anything more than saying "I can freeze tangible and abstract concepts without harming my body".

22. - Top - End - #352
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

If he can alter the lethal dosage of the blood in your body, then I don't think that blood being solid will help much.
    Blood that is solid does not flow and so a poison will not travel through the body and do any harm.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Blood that is solid does not flow and so a poison will not travel through the body and do any harm.
    If your blood stops flowing, you're going to die awfully quickly from your entire body being oxygen starved.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ettin in the Playground

Uh, Rukia's explicit power is to kill herself and keep moving by manipulating Reishi she consists of. She literally froze herself solid when fighting As Nodt.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Uh, Rukia's explicit power is to kill herself and keep moving by manipulating Reishi she consists of. She literally froze herself solid when fighting As Nodt.
    Hmm, I totally forgot that part, mostly because it was so ridiculous. I guess if she entirely froze herself that would obviously include her blood.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Yes, and Kubo uses the term "absolute zero" apparently without knowing jack about what it actually means. The stupid (and pretentious) part is the sad explanation, really.

27. - Top - End - #357

Using Reishi to move something that can't be moved sounds like your standard Shonen Anime mystical Bull Plop technique.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #358

SwashbucklerGuy

Yes, and Kubo uses the term "absolute zero" apparently without knowing jack about what it actually means.
    Meh. Sorry, but if the misuse of scientific concepts bothered me that much, I wouldn't be such a fan of "JoJo's Bizarre Adventure". :-)

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Meh. Sorry, but if the misuse of scientific concepts bothered me that much, I wouldn't be such a fan of "JoJo's Bizarre Adventure". :-)
    Duly noted.
    *goes out and checks it anyway*

30. - Top - End - #360

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    Hmm, I totally forgot that part, mostly because it was so ridiculous. I guess if she entirely froze herself that would obviously include her blood.
    I never really had a problem with Rukia's freezing trick because we've already seen people creating several tons of ice out of nothing, making time advance millenia in seconds, having skin and only skin be immune to said time advancement, turning into a cat, permanently making people perceive anything the user wishes, make reality play by the rules of children's games, be able to refuse anything, create and wear clothing of solar plasma and make it so that two superhuman armies didn't notice the 15,000,000 degree man standing within a few miles of them, create alternate histories and make anything happen as long as your target isn't deaf.

Compared to some of these things, freezing your body to death and sort of forgetting to die barely puts a dent in my suspension of disbelief.
    Last edited by Durkoala; 2015-06-10 at 04:19 PM.
    Spoiler: Pixel avatar and Raincloud Durkoala were made by me. The others are the work of Cuthalion.
    Show

Cuteness and Magic and Phone Moogles, oh my! Let's Watch Card Captor Sakura!Sadly on a small hiatus.

Durkoala reads a book! It's about VR and the nineties!