New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: AVB - On Padded Feet

Eve visibly perks up, now that she has a more or less nice conversation partner.

"Yeh, I guess I was too curious about it... Thanks for the help. Pity we'll never know what it really was."

She paused for a second

"So, did you hear the... conversation I had with the other sisters? I think I made a pretty bad impression... "
    Thanks to Kurien for drawing my avatar, and NightWolf16a for coloring it.

Spoiler: The master lurker
    Show

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

She looks slightly abashed. She seems to be one for bold action and forthrightness. Following you stealthily seems to have rankled her sensibilities somewhat.

"It was intended that I follow you until such time that we could ascertain the location of Daughter Sarah then recover her if possible or report her location and condition if beyond my abilities."

She seems unable to meet your eye as she explains her mission.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Eve looks uncomfortable.
    "It's good to find someone who finally speaks straight.
    I was not going to her. Unless you can help me get the amulet, I don't think it safe to go there. But if we had the amulet I wouldn't mind you coming with and taking custody of her once I exchange the amulet for her. But as I am not with the third party that claimed her, I do have no reason to interact with them without the amulet. I'm certainly not strong enough to save her myself."
    Last edited by Renen; 2015-07-19 at 08:51 PM.

Show

4. - Top - End - #274
    Titan in the Playground

"To be frank, the Sisters aren't necessarily unwilling to part with the amulet, provided they know what amulet it is this third party seeks. It's not as if we have only one amulet amongst the entire Sisterhood. Buy, pray tell, I would know more of this third party, especially in regards to your repeated assertions that you are 'not strong enough'."
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Since Eve and Evelyn spoke telepathically, is it too much to assume Eve was shown how the amulet looked through the link? Since telepathic speech likely consists of images, as well.

"I can't tell you. I know that doing so would likely be detrimental to my health. If you know what I mean. As for my assertion... I assure you, being stronger than me is not all that hard. Do I look strong to you?"
    Eve pats down her dress, showcasing her pretty but quite thin body, clearly having no muscles to speak of.

Show

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    She never described the amulet very well, and Eve didn't ask for more details. It seems Evelyn didn't think that they might possess more than one amulet...
    She shrugs.

"Perhaps, perhaps not. I can't really say without knowing your abilities. I've seen wizards meeker than you who could turn you inside out faster than you can blink and a man as scrawny as you lift a half ton above his head with one hand."
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

"Hmm... Well I can't turn anyone inside out... Anyways, the amulet is said to be one with sharp edges. If you have more than one, that fit, why not just take them all, and just give the one that fits the description? I only ask that if you want to come with me and help get the girl back that you please not start a fight. No matter what you see, I want to avoid any fighting at all. I'll ask the same of the opposition. One amulet that fits the description gets traded for Sarah, and everyone leaves happy."

She paused, trying to figure out if she left out anything.

Spoiler
    Show
    She also asked how to find the devil again. I think that might have been you missing the question by accident as the devil never answered a crucial and very clear answer. Can we assume Eve can somehow get a hold of her?

Oh and I'd like to point out that the pressure Eve feels never "snapped" as I amended the post to clarify that if Eve starts feeling it, she just switches to the known method of calling Evelyn the third party, which seems sufficiently vague as not to pass her off.
    Last edited by Renen; 2015-07-19 at 10:24 PM.

Show

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    The outsider is right where you left her. (Edit: Okay, maybe not right where you left her. Definitely somewhere in that group of rooms though)

I'm aware.
    She looks at you incredulously.

"You seriously expect the Sisterhood to hand you an... undisclosed number of magical items of varying strength and ability and value to take to an unknown location to hand over to an unknown third party to possibly save a girl who may or may not be there and may or may not be alive. You're either the most brazen person I've ever met or the most stupid. I know Daughter Sarah would rather give her life than let a collection of powerful magical items fall into evil hands to wreak untold havoc and death."
    Last edited by Rizban; 2015-07-20 at 03:26 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

Eve shakes her head vigorously.

"No. I expect you to carry them, pick out the one that fits the description once a more complete description is given, and only give THAT one. I will verify Sarah's well being before any such transaction, as I am not interested in just supplying the whole city with magical amulets if it does not result in anyone being saved. I do suppose it was silly of me to actually come and explain the situation, but now that that's done, I see one quite easy solution. You carry the amulets fitting the currently vague description, once we are sure Sarah is safe, one amulet is traded for her and everyone leaves happy. I want to make this a fair exchange as I suspect she was not even harmed which would make it a rather fair exchange. Unless you want to risk fighting, which might get you killed, me killed and her killed. I do like being alive..."

Eve yawned, feeling quite tired at this point. She hopes this ends favorably for everyone. Evelyn seemed like a fairly trustworthy devil, as far as devils went atleast. Plus Eve was not against working with her in the future should the circumstances be favorable.

Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks. I was just confirming, to ensure that we are on the same page.
    And thanks for updating so quick ♥

Show

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

"And if this third party is as terrifying as you seem to think and decides he wishes to take them all...? I'm sure a delicate pacifist such as yourself would rush to my aid."
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yes, a risk. Though I hope you would trust me enough to give me the amulet at the last stage, so that once we know which one it is, I can hand it over without having the opposing sides actually meet. And anyways, you seem plenty strong yourself. It is up to you though, I do want to help, but I wont lead a crowd of sisters there, nor will I reveal any additional information."

Crossing her arms on her chest she looks at the sister. She cant wait to turn back into her normal form, the clothes are starting to get quite uncomfortable, especially for someone who isn't used to wearing them for long periods.

Spoiler: Going to any remotely scary place in Aldhaven
    Show

Last edited by Renen; 2015-07-20 at 08:59 PM.

Show

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

She crosses her own arms.

"Just go ask what amulet your little friend wants specifically and come back for it."
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ogre in the Playground

"I have no friends." Eve glared back at the sister.

"If I go back, I run a good risk of you following me, as well as getting in trouble for showing up empty handed. How many amulets with sharp edges do you ladies have? Surely cant be more than three or four at most. Amulets arent usually made sharp." She sticks out her lip at the sister, upset at being told what to do, again. She wasnt a dog. She wont bark and run to obey.

Show

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

She pulls on the chain around her neck, drawing her holy symbol out from beneath her robes.

"Every Sister in our order wears a symbol similar to this one. As you can see, each one not only comes to a sharp point at the top but is sharpened as a knife towards the bottom. You're asking me to collect the symbol of our order from every single sister, almost all of which contain enchantments customized to each individual's preferences, which would take weeks just to get hold of the ones from sisters based in other cities, assuming every single sister would be willing to part with it in the first place."

She groans in frustration.

"I swear to you that I'm the only one who was dispatched to follow you, and I swear I will wait here for you to return but not more than 2 hours."
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

Eve stared with a stupid look on her face.

Dammit Evelyn... A sharp amulet? You thought it's funny didn't you?

She blinked, and refocused her eyes on the sister.

"OK. I'll trust you then..."

She turns to leave, turning into her cat self as she rounds the corner. It feels so good NOT having to wear that dress, as pretty as it is. And being small again was very fun too.

Spoiler
    Show
    Eve heads back to Evelyn. Very sorry about the delay. Got into some false trouble at work and was just panicking and couldn't think up of any good posts for here.
    Last edited by Renen; 2015-07-24 at 06:55 PM.

Show

16. - Top - End - #286
    Titan in the Playground

You circle around a bit and find that the woman who was following you indeed stays right where she promised to wait, though she looks rather nervous, obviously wondering whether or not she made the right decision. She starts to pace anxiously as she waits.

It takes you about 20 minutes to return to the cellar/template/hideout in the alley and find yourself looking once more at the cellar door.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

Pawing open the door, she looks inside.
    "Hey. I found a way to get that talisman you wanted. But funny thing... There's alot of sharp talismans. It was pretty funny until I realized I had no idea which one you wanted... I hold to our agreement, but you gotta tell me WHICH one you need."
    Her thoughts had a mildly frustrated tone. Did the devils lady not trust her? Or was she just messing with her on purpose.

Spoiler: Map
    Show

I remember you posting there's a newer map of the city. I was wondering if you'd share? I wanna see how aldhaven looks like :D
    Last edited by Renen; 2015-07-24 at 08:57 PM.

Show

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

Evelyn is not in the stairwell leading down, nor in plain sight, and it seems she doesn't respond to being shouted at from more than 50 feet away... through a tunnel... from several floors up.

Show
    This one is probably the most up to date.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2015-07-24 at 09:50 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ogre in the Playground

Sorry, I assumed I was at the other bottom door. Derp. So, Eve goes down to the bottom door, and opens that one, then addresses Evelyn.

Show
    Thanks. I wanted to make it look prettier maybe (or rather ask someone to do so). Ill get back to you with results to see if you like em.

Show

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    Asking first about getting someone to do the map would have been nice...
    You walk in to see Daughter Tara still has a glassy-eyed look. She and Evelyn seem to be dressed in sleep clothes, and Tara is busy painting Evelyn's nails.

Evelyn looks at you like you're an idiot when you tell her what's happening.

"So they have more than one, and you couldn't figure out which one to take? Ugh!"
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

"Each sister is wearing an amulet as part of their habit. They are all sharp..." Eve looks wistfully at Evelyn's lap, remembering how long it was since she got to lay on someone's lap and just be a normal cat.
    "Do you have a picture? Or atleast a mental image?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I wanted to see if I even know anyone who'd make a major improvement anyways, it's much better than most game maps. I haven't actually asked anyone yet, just sent out a general request asking if they would be willing to make a pretty city map. I figured if you expressed dislike for a different map, I could always just tell em never mind. Should I do so? I just wanted to commission a pretty city map for you so you could show it off to people :D I know some people who do that much better than me. But I won't if you'd rather not.

Spoiler: Map 2
    Show
    I only wanted to contribute abit to the campaign, as its my favorite out of all my PbP ones (and one of who's longevity I can be certain of). I'd volunteer to DM but I got no experience and would fail terribly, so I figured I'd try get the map prettied up. Hope you dont mind, as I said I only gone as far as asking some people if they wouldnt mind working on "a" map.
    Last edited by Renen; 2015-07-25 at 05:38 PM.

Show

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    It's fine as long as the artist gives all rights to the image, and you're willing to release all rights to me. I've had problems with people using Aldhaven in the past then freaking the bleep out when I requested to use some of their "fan fiction" as part of the canon.

I even had one guy include Aldhaven and much of my own personal work on it in an e-book that he published and sold for a profit then was contacted by his lawyer with a cease and desist. My own lawyer got everything settled, and the e-book is no longer available.

I used to have a disclaimer in the recruitment thread that players released any and all in character content to me to use as I saw fit just because of that, but I've since removed it. It shouldn't be necessary, but people can really cause problems when they try.
    "Fine. Fine. Whatever."

She produces a small piece of paper from inside her bodice with a fairly good sketch of the amulet. She allows you to look at it as long as you wish, but she will not let you have the paper.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    OK will do about the rights.
    Also, its good to have you back. :D

"Thanks!" Eve studies the picture for a bit, before looking back up.

"Those sisters are so mean! I can see why you wouldn't like them! I'll head on back now, wish me luck..."

*Eve walks back to the sister after any luck was wished*

Show

24. - Top - End - #294
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Amulet
    Show
    The Sister stands near where you left her, having obviously been pacing anxiously right up until she spotted you returning. She looks at you in silence, slight suspicion on her face.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

"All right, I got the details. It looks like so..." She draws the design in the dirt.

Spoiler
    Show
    Question: For the map, do you want any extra stuff added? Like more houses on the "empty" roads? Or some such? Or any general stuff you might want the map to have?

Show

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm fine with whatever they want to do. The more, the merrier, I suppose. Give them the rough districts map in the recruiting thread too and the brief descriptions of the various city districts so they get it "right". Also of note, Aldhaven is fairly strongly influenced by medieval Germanic towns.
    She looks at your drawing blankly for a moment.

"I've never seen anything quite like that design. We'll have to go back to get more information..."
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'll wait outside. I had enough of being yelled at for one day. Thanks for being nice to me though. I was not given such courtesy by the other sisters.

Spoiler
    Show
    Eve waits outside, as the sister goes to look at amulets.

Show
    So you dont mind if map looks slightly different from the one you shared few posts back (like not having empty roads anymore and such).
    Also, when you've got the time could you give a list of some "city landmarks" as I dont know them all since Eve hasnt been everywhere yet.

Show

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

She shrugs at your comment as you wait outside. "I wasn't there, so I can't comment."

She steps inside.

Spoiler
    Show
    Don't worry too much about the city landmarks. I can always add them in later. We don't have them defined very well outside of the mapped areas anyway. The map link I gave you should have a number of them marked with the little + signs. Just hover over each little +.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

Eve waits.

Spoiler
    Show
    I meant even in general, having some Cathedral X, district square Y, tavern z, that sort of thing. Any BIG landmarks you might want.

Show

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

Eve continues to wait.

(5d%)[83][3][34][97][16](233)

Spoiler
    Show
    Guildsman is all workshops and warehouses with some cheap housing. A few larger buildings for guild headquarters would work.

Mages' Quarter is fancy magic stuff, all wizard towers and the like, a few magic guilds. Belelen Plaza (shown) has one magic guild. The Glow Pool is a smallish pond with a natural glow. Mermaids find it relaxing and mildly addicting.

The Nobles' Quarter is one of the smaller city districts, though it is by far the oldest. It is situated on a natural rise in the ground along the river and is walled off from the rest of the city. The Nobles' Quarter holds the Castle as well as small estates for the major Noble Houses.

The Nobles' Quarter is a large area completely enclosed by a massive wall some 40 feet high built atop a rocky outcropping along the river that is about 20 feet high. This makes the full construction nearly 60 feet in height. A road that doubles back on itself is cut into the steep gradient leading up to the gatehouse. There are absolutely no places to hide on approach to the gate, and indeed, this is the only known way into the quarter without flying.

Old Town is already 100% mapped on there with major landmarks marked on the map.

Midtown is also mostly mapped. It has The Plaza and is mostly residential with the only real non-residential bits being along Mastiff's and The Plaza.

North Market -
    Central North Market - Almost all the buildings are two stories in height, the merchants and craftsmen in this part of the city typically living above their shops/workshops.
    West North Plaza - West North Plaza is the North Market's attempt to recreate The Plaza of Midtown. Smaller with less traffic, it is still a good place to do business.

In addition to the shops, there are a few larger homes right onWest North Plaza. These older homes were present prior to it transforming into a commercial center.

Slums are run down shacks north of the Docks. There was some attempt to build better row houses along the road north, but that project was abandoned after not too long, and the buildings are fairly run down now as well.
    One large tavern is now the headquarters of the Blue Hand Clan of hobgoblins. They've cleared the land of buildings for a fair distance around it and built a palisade.
    The Arena is a brand new and fairly prominent building east of the BHC tavern where an illegal and very profitable fighting ring has been established by the BHC.

Docks are mostly mapped. A few more buildings there would be nice. Should be almost all warehouses and the like.

South Market has a large open field used as a Farmer's Market - The farmers' market has a small but steady stream of customers today; the dreary weather seems to have limited people's interest in hoofing it out there for fresh produce. Several of the booths are setting up coverings for their products as you pass, appearing to consider a rainstorm imminent. But for now, it is merely gray and overcast.
    South Market is a low income district inhabited mostly by people who are itinerant workers and local farmers how live in the city for protection rather than the smaller hamlets around the city.

Temple District

Entering the Temple District, you find yourself just outside the temple of Pelor, which is surrounded by a thick, circular outer wall. A sense of power seems to linger in the air. The large front door to the temple stands open, and can be seen from the gate in the outer wall, revealing a large statue of Pelor sitting cross legged with open arms, welcoming his children into the temple. A gold sun the size of a troll tops the temple.

Barely a block away stands a temple quite the opposite of the grand temple of Pelor. The modest temple of Bahamut is simple and avoids the baroque and heavy ornamentations of many of the other temples. It seems to be made of rather plain stone, though the inside of front door is inlaid with Bahamut's holy symbol, wrought in platinum, the only ornamentation visible on the temple.

The twin temples to Solaron and Minrhet are two blocks west and one north of Pelor. The one on the right features a bronze lantern-shaped building that seems to glow internally. The one on the left has a draconic theme, showing chromatic and metallic dragons working together. The buildings are connected by a spiral tower that mixes the two themes. Four small shrines are located, one each, at the four external corners of the buildings.

Not far away, a great library stands in the district, the main doors watched over by priestesses in dark emerald green robes.

Hundreds of large and small temples, shrines, and small statues line every street as far as the eye can see dedicated to all manner of gods, goddesses, and pantheons. You doubt if there is any deity without some form of representation in this city district.

The Fortress is basically one large wall around the island with defensive posts. Inside is a collection of buildings that largely resemble the buildings of Old Town rather than those typical of a military installation. It's also already fully mapped.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List