New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: AVB - Quick-Change Craftsman

He pours the drink. "Five gold."

After you pay, he's willing to talk.

"Yeah, that's the story. Says he was tilling a new field and hit a big stone. Dug it up to clear the field and found a passage under it. Too scared to go in himself, a couple adventurers went down. They brought up some coin but didn't make it too far in. Story goes it's got some really nasty traps that have killed a few people. Disabling them doesn't help too much, because they repair themselves after a short time. There's talk the city is going to fill in the tunnel with rubble if too many more people get killed. Farmer charges something like 50 gold to go down there, but you keep anything you pull out."
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Slightly miffed at the cost for the information, Rand forks over the extra four gold without verbal complaint.

Seems like the ruins will be dangerous to delve alone. He'd have to use more infusions than he's used to, and though Thorn may be used for recon, he doesn't want to put the little guy through that.

He thanks the man for the info, and asks, Is there a way to get job offers spoken by the town crier? Is there any other job offer outlet, like a bulletin board?

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, and there's a second level infusion called Unseen Crafter that would basically work like a dedicated wright, right? It'd only last six days at Rand's current level, but that just means I refresh it every six days.
    Saber avatar courtesy of Prime32

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Unseen crafter is darn good. The main difference is that the infusion can not produce magical items.
    "There's a bulletin board over there, but no one ever reads it. If you want to talk to the crier, just talk to him. He'll give you rates."
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Rand nods and thanks the man again for his time.

Focusing on the gem affixed to his temple, he contacts Hagan, Hagan, when will you be available to meet in person? There is something I would like to run by you; not about our arrangement, but something that could ultimately be beneficial for you in the long run.

Spoiler
    Show
    Could the Unseen Crafter be used to build the kiln?

Also, I'm hoping to get Hagan on board with the "Save Sesbury Situation" by appealing to his financial side--if he helps to get Sesbury back up and running, imagine how much prestige he'll get?

Edit: Is it okay if I look through Hagan's old thread? Since Rand is working with him, I'm not sure how okay you are with that. I won't use any OOC knowledge IC, of course.
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2015-04-15 at 10:02 AM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sure. I don't have a problem with that. It's probably not the most interesting read. Do be aware that about half of what he actually did was in other people's threads which aren't always linked, so you're going to have to go crawling, and a large chunk towards the end took place over Skype and isn't even recorded on the forum.

UC may be used on the kiln.
    Hagan agrees to meet with you just before the shop opens in the morning.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    What's his build, if you don't mind my asking?

Going back to Dynamic Dynamos, Rand creates his unseen crafter and directs it to begin building the kiln in his place.

He returns to the Flint, and retires to his room. After resting, he fetches Rosey and makes it to Hagan's shop right as it opens. He opens the door and looks for Hagan.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Psionic Artificer/Renegade Mastermaker. Most of "cyborg" stuff is in the form of magic items and warforged grafts (which are amazingly good) from Faiths of Eberron.
    Hagan is indeed there. He seems to be standing over one of his apprentices with one hand on the apprentice's shoulder and one hand on the magic item the apprentice is supposed to be crafting. A faint, unearthly glow emanates from each hand, suffusing both the apprentice and the item. One of Hagan's extra arms motions to you to wait, but he otherwise does not acknowledge your presence.

Once he finishes, the glow vanishes, and Hagan nods to the apprentice, telling him that he may begin work. He then turns and walks over to you.

"Good to see you, Rand. Business been good?"
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Good to see you, too! Business is going well, both our joint and my own. I should be ready for another bag of merchandise soon.

Would you know any reliable courier service that could deliver money or goods to the Sesbury area? I want to send money to my family, but want to make sure nothing happens to it, y'know?

And speaking of Sesbury, what do you know of the calamity that befell it?

Spoiler
    Show
    Man, looking over Hagan's thread, I can tell just how unoptimized for combat Rand is. How did you get access to the psychic reformation? A magic item? And would I be able to pay the XP cost with retained essence?

Edit: Also, didn't Grandmaster Craftsman's prerequisite rank used to be 12 ranks in weapon/armorsmithing? Not that I mind the reduction, though I'll still need to find someone to teach it to me.
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2015-04-15 at 10:23 PM.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Thokk_Smash View Post
    Man, looking over Hagan's thread, I can tell just how unoptimized for combat Rand is.
    Hagan is one nasty fellow, though most of his optimization comes in the form of the items he carries, like any good artificer.
    How did you get access to the psychic reformation? A magic item? And would I be able to pay the XP cost with retained essence?
    I... don't remember? I probably bought a power stone and succeeded on the ML check. I'd have to go back and look to make sure though. I mean, it is only a 4th-level power. With the artificer ML boost, he might have even crafted it himself. ML6+2 is enough for 4th-level powers, isn't it?
    Craft Reserve can only be used for crafting items.

Edit: Also, didn't Grandmaster Craftsman's prerequisite rank used to be 12 ranks in weapon/armorsmithing? Not that I mind the reduction, though I'll still need to find someone to teach it to me.
    I changed it before making those rules official. So... I felt like it'd be okay to let players focused on crafting start with the feat and have access to one of the options. If it turns into a problem though, I'll change it back up to 12 ranks.
    "You know... I've never had need to ship anything out of the city myself and haven't ever looked into it. Surely there's someone reputable out there though... Wasn't there some sort of magic rings or something that let's you drop stuff through one end and out the other? I could have sworn I heard something about that but haven't looked into it. I'll admit most of my own research has gone into communication and security."

Hagan just shrugs. "From what I hear, it was someone messing with something he shouldn't have and blowing himself up, unfortunately taking others with him."
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Hagan is one nasty fellow, though most of his optimization comes in the form of the items he carries, like any good artificer. :small tongue:
    Hagan does seem to be a bit further south in the alignment pool than Good, for sure It seems like you started with a good amount of crafted items, unless you bought a few of them.

I... don't remember? I probably bought a power stone and succeeded on the ML check. I'd have to go back and look to make sure though. I mean, it is only a 4th-level power. With the artificer ML boost, he might have even crafted it himself. ML6+2 is enough for 4th-level powers, isn't it?
    Craft Reserve can only be used for crafting items.
    So many items that I hope to craft, so little XP and gold to craft them with. Would it be too OOC to ask whether Hagan is still getting the magic school's failed crafting items for his retain essence?

I changed it before making those rules official. So... I felt like it'd be okay to let players focused on crafting start with the feat and have access to one of the options. If it turns into a problem though, I'll change it back up to 12 ranks.
    I would've loved to have been able to get that in character creation, had I known of it. But going through the IC to find the grandmaster should prove enlightening...if getting through to them doesn't get Rand killed, poorly optimized that he is. I'm really, really leery of anything approaching combat.

If Sesbury were to be salvaged, what do you think would need to be done? Rand's expression shows both curiosity and a resolve that underlies the question.
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2015-04-15 at 11:01 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Hagan does seem to be a bit further south in the alignment pool than Good, for sure
    He's definitely south of Good but not Evil. Lawful Paranoid is probably the best description for him. He won't break his word, but he'll also have no nightmares after the fact if he has to kill you. He'd prefer to not kill anyone, but sometimes distasteful things must be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Thokk_Smash
    It seems like you started with a good amount of crafted items, unless you bought a few of them. So many items that I hope to craft, so little XP and gold to craft them with. Would it be too OOC to ask whether Hagan is still getting the magic school's failed crafting items for his retain essence?
    He didn't start with anything he didn't craft himself, and I spent every last coin and scrap of reserve that I could on items. Hell, I even bought items and retained them during character creation, because it was cost efficient to do so.
    Indeed he is. That's his primary source of CXP, and he'll definitely put down anyone who interferes with that...

Quote Originally Posted by Thokk_Smash
    I would've loved to have been able to get that in character creation, had I known of it. But going through the IC to find the grandmaster should prove enlightening...if getting through to them doesn't get Rand killed, poorly optimized that he is. I'm really, really leery of anything approaching combat.
    Sadly, I didn't even have it made until after you'd already started playing. All you really need for combat is to upgrade your gear. You're an artificer, after all. That's what you do.
    "That's something else I'd never even considered. I guess the first thing you'd need to do would be seal off the vortex to make the area safe, but I'd bet that's going to take some serious doing. Then you've just got to spend the money. Get money flowing and show that everything is safe and profitable, and the people will come back. The trick is going to be showing investors that it's safer and more profitable to be in Sesbury than it is to be somewhere else."
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    He's definitely south of Good but not Evil. Lawful Paranoid is probably the best description for him. He won't break his word, but he'll also have no nightmares after the fact if he has to kill you. He'd prefer to not kill anyone, but sometimes distasteful things must be done.
    Far more ruthless than Rand is currently, for sure. Of course, he's had the full Aldhaven treatment, so that makes sense.

He didn't start with anything he didn't craft himself, and I spent every last coin and scrap of reserve that I could on items. Hell, I even bought items and retained them during character creation, because it was cost efficient to do so.
    Indeed he is. That's his primary source of CXP, and he'll definitely put down anyone who interferes with that...
    That would've been a good idea, buying magic items for the xp. Though I do have magic items I could retain on my person--potions and scrolls. Gonna keep my Ring of Sustenance, though, that's too useful. Looks like I'd get 86xp if I burned the miscellaneous potions and scrolls. And mark that down as a mental note to not interfere with that.

Sadly, I didn't even have it made until after you'd already started playing. All you really need for combat is to upgrade your gear. You're an artificer, after all. That's what you do.
    It's what I do with sufficient gold and xp to not craft myself into uselessness. I need to find a steady source of retainable magic items, or else craft what I can and go find trouble.

A stop by the University would probably be in order, then, Rand says, looking pensive, eyes narrowed in thought. This is the most serious Hagan has ever seen him in their short relationship. Do you know anybody in the University I could talk to about that?

As for investors, would you consider it? The infrastructure can be rebuilt more easily in Sesbury than created from the ground up someplace else. The banks in the area, for instance, are just shut down; the buildings are still there, just waiting for the area to settle. It would reopen a market for your merchandise, if you ever want to expand beyond Aldhaven.

And think of the morale that would spread through the kingdom--Sesbury rescued from the brink, families returned home. The festive atmosphere that would ensue would eclipse any major holiday, and you know how people spend when they're feeling festive. And Erbaur's Enchanted Devices and Dynamos would have been the first on board to save it.
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2015-04-15 at 11:45 PM.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Hagan thinks for a moment... then for a moment more... He thinks so long that you almost wonder if he's fallen asleep.

"I can see some benefit in what you're saying. The university is no good though. They're not going to have individuals of the right skill set to handle the breach. Oh, sure, they'll have people who can research it and write papers, but when it comes to doing, well, they'll never finish critiquing long enough to get anything done.

Try over at the GoSS. Ask to speak to (I'll look up the name later). She should be able to get you in touch with the right people.
    "
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

Great; awesome! Should I let them know you recommended them or will she see me as a walk-in without a recommendation? And could you compile a list of possible investors in the city, please? I would really appreciate the starting point.

After his answers, Rand takes Rosey and directs her to the GoSS building on his map.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

"See what you can do on your own. If you get stuck, you can mention me, if you think it will help. I've got some influence there, but I'm next exactly the most respected member. I've been a bit too... independent."
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

The GoSS, or Guild of Starlight and Shadows, is located not too far northwest of Hagan's shop in Old Town; however, you have to get directions to be able to find it. Once you have directions, you step into the narrow alley between two buildings and out into a large, paved courtyard. Dominating your view is what looks like nothing more than a tiny military fortress with a dizzyingly tall tower. Several tiny towers float in the air, orbiting around the main tower. How the hell you can't see this from the street is beyond your ability to explain, as even illusion magic shouldn't be able to fully conceal something like this.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Rand stares at the building in awe for a few moments. Why would Hagan be too independent from this place? It looks so cool!

He quickly gets himself under control and approaches the building. He looks for a receptionist or greeter of some sort, and asks after the woman that Hagan mentioned. Hello. I'm looking for [insert name here]. I was told she could help with a magical endeavor I'm looking to begin.

Spoiler: Edit
    Show
    Also, I noticed that I didn't take my Legendary Artisan feat into account when I crafted Thorn; I should've only paid 75% of the full xp cost, which would've been 95 xp.

I also forgot about the Extraordinary Artisan feat, since you let me pick it right before play started. That would've cut my cloak and Thorn's price down by 25% each. Is it okay if I make those adjustments now? I don't want to retroactively make new items, but having that extra gold and xp would be very much appreciated.
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2015-04-22 at 12:00 PM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    That's fine. Go ahead and fix your totals.
    The receptionist nods as she responds.
    "Anaris is a very busy woman. What kind of endeavor?"
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

A containment endeavor. Complex, but one which will be very rewarding in the end, both in terms of finance and prestige.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

"Elemental, daemonic, or some other kind? If you just need to hire a spellcaster, we have several available for magic circles and the like."
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Some other kind; I don't want to contain a creature, I want to contain pure arcane energies in order to make an area safe to inhabit. The Academy will dither and talk, but get nothing done. I want the best, and from what I hear, Miss Anaris is the person I'm looking for.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

"Now that sounds like something that might interest her and be worth her time. I'll schedule an appointment for you."

I forget the time of day. If it's morning, then it'll be later today. If it's afternoon/evening, it won't be until the next day.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

It's morning; Rand met Hagan right as the shop opened.))))

Rand thanks the man with a smile, giving him his name and any other relevant information.

He returns to his cart and goes to Eastgate, looking to get a good spot like yesterday.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

Profession (Merchant): (1d20+11)[13]

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

You find a spot and setup. You earn (2d4)[5] gold before you have to pack up to head to your appointment.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

((Profession (Merchant) for the day: (1d20+11)[21]

Do I manage to sell any of the weapons or the last cloak? I mean, the main thing is the meeting, but a weapon sold would be nice.

Edit: To be clear, the previous Profession was to find a good spot, in case it made a difference. This Profession check was for the actual gold made.))

Once he sells what he manages to sell, he packs up his things and makes his way back to the GoSS for his meeting.

((Double edit: Oh, sorry. I was on my phone and couldn't see that you'd rolled for gold for me. It's been a long night)
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2015-04-26 at 02:11 AM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

((You don't get a full profit check, because you're leaving early for your appointment. On a 3, you sell the cloak. (1d3)[1]))

You return to the GoSS, are directed to a place where you can wait to meet with Anaris. After waiting for what seems like an interminable period, though probably no more than 10 minutes, a door opens, and you hear a telepathic voice beckon you inside.

When you enter, you see a scrawny, hairless, creature with six arms though otherwise humanoid in shape and obviously female. She has a vaguely birdlike face and large, dark eyes. A hint of pink on her beak-like mouth makes you think that she's attempting to wear lipstick... or possibly just finished a bloody meal...

The voice in your head is warm and pleasant and has an almost soporific effect on you.
    "Greets, you are. Anaris, who I am."
    Spoiler: Anaris
    Show
    Last edited by Rizban; 2015-04-28 at 06:29 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Rand sits down, looking at the woman with interest. She looks so fascinating; what is her heritage, he wonders? He smiles at her at the sound of the voice in his head.

Greetings, Miss Anaris. My name is Rand Hellic, an artificer from Sesbury. I'm interested in your opinion of the situation in Sesbury--specifically, what you know about the arcane vortex that decimated so much of the city, and what you think could be done to contain the vortex in order to make the city safe to inhabit once more.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Her eyes glitter with what you clearly perceive to be greed the instant you mention the word "artificer," and she unabashedly starts looking you over as if closely examining your gear. When you finish speaking, her eyes glaze over for a moment as the idea takes hold in her mind, a dreamy look on her alien face.

"Oooh, yes..." Her reply sounds vaguely erotic and more than a little disturbing. "Proposition, interesting is that. Difficulty, to be accomplished. Suggestions, certain you have?"
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Rand keeps his face straight, and gives the woman a smile as he leans forward. Elbows on his knees and fingers laced in front of him, he says, I have one interested investor already, and he has connections. I can work on securing support for the venture; I would never ask for you to do this for cheap. But in the meantime, it would be cosmically helpful if you could begin to at least look into it. Being able to tell potential investors that an arcanist of your tremendous skill is working on it would go a long way.