New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: AVB - Quick-Change Craftsman

"Flattery, skill is yours. Wasted, not on me. Containment, proposal is what?"
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Titan in the Playground

My proposal is that in exchange for containing the vortex in Sesbury--I'll leave the specifics up to you, although I want to be informed of every step in the process--then in addition to your name and the GoSS being mentioned prominently in the proclamations of Sesbury's revival, I will negotiate for you to receive 5% of the total donations that the investors invest into the renewal.

If you can find a way to supply me with old or unwanted magical items on a regular basis, for me to disenchant for crafting energy, I'll negotiate for 8% of the total donations.
    Saber avatar courtesy of Prime32

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Anaris gasps as the black orbs of her eyes tinge red, she draws her arms up to her chest and rears back from you like a miser clutching his last coin, though the look in her eyes is more reminiscent of a cobra preparing to strike.

"Never! It happens not! Relics, they are mine! Taking, you will not!"
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

And I would never dream of it, Rand says, holding his hands up with palms out. She can tell from his facial expression that the thought hadn't even occurred to him. I beg forgiveness for even accidentally insinuating that, my dear. Please, forget I even mentioned it.

How about fifteen thousand gold in addition to the 5%?

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

She doesn't seem to calm down.

"Gold, I want not! Relics, they are mine."
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

And the vortex within Sesbury, I assume, was within the general vicinity of the arcane university within the city. Arcane relics are incredibly durable--a good number of them must have survived the explosion. We could put a discovery clause in the contract, that you are entitled to whatever relics you find in the course of the containment.

If that does not appeal to you, then as I mentioned, I am an artificer. Creating custom magic items comes with the territory.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Titan in the Playground

She seems less likely to planeshift you to a random layer of the Abyss, but she still doesn't appear to relax much. Seems she takes her magic items very seriously.

"Relics, you will bring. Plans, then are discussed."
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

With pleasure, my dear. Are you partial to a certain kind of relic? Something to boost your defenses, perhaps, or something with a bit more utility? An exquisite creature such as yourself deserves to get what she wants, and I aim to please.

Spoiler
    Show
    I feel like I should've asked Hagan about the personality of Anaris so I could've had a better idea of how to go about this before actually meeting her. And I'm glad I didn't bring Thorn out--she probably would've demanded him as beginning payment.

And of course, early congratulations, and best of luck with your wedding!
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2015-04-30 at 10:31 AM.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    You might have also rolled some knowledge checks to determine her species. I'm playing her very close to her species description, with the only real change being that she can communicate telepathically with those outside her own species and is a bit less hostile.
    She shakes her head.

"Relics, all are mine."
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    My only trained Knowledge is Architecture. I figured that wouldn't have been quite useful, and I can't make Knowledge checks untrained. I need to get my hands on a Psychic Reformation...

Rand nods, and then takes his leave. He sighs, and rubs his temples. Now, to try and find a way to reliably get energy for crafting... he thinks to himself.

He looks into Hagan's shop to see if he's in. If he is, he says in person: I spoke to Anaris, but she says that she would like some "relics", as she calls them, before she'll agree to perform the containment. I'll need to spend some time in the next week to craft custom magic items for her, but I don't have too much spare energy for crafting. And I was hoping to create a Dedicated Wright soon, but I'll need to prioritize getting Anaris on board with the containment.

What's her species, by the way?

((If Hagan's not in, then he'll call him via the psionic cell phone))
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2015-04-30 at 11:54 PM.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    You can make Knowledge checks untrained, but you can't figure anything out with a DC higher than a 10.

"Oh? Did I not mention? She's a spellweaver.

I don't really have much essence to spare. It all goes into crafting orders. I suppose I can front you enough to make a wright though... but I'd expect to be repaid for it before long.
    "
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

I'll pass, for now at least. I don't much feel like being indebted to you. After retaining a few of my spare consumable magic items, I'll have just enough essence for a decently-priced magic item. Or a few lesser-priced items.

He considers asking the man for advice on getting retainable magic items, but he doubts the man would be forthcoming at all. And so he bids the man goodbye, and heads to the Sad Flint. He pays for two more nights, and then orders a beer. Slipping the barkeep ten gold for the beer, he asks, I need to find a supply of magic items that no one wants, or that no one will miss, to absorb their essence for my own purposes. Do you have any idea where I can start to find someone who can help me with that?

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

He polishes a glass and looks at you for a moment before replying.

"Your best bet is to go loot some crypts. It's what most adventurers do, right? Those ruins on the farmer's lands haven't been plundered yet. Too many traps, but you look like you could handle them."
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

Rand holds back a groan. Thanks, he says, finishing his drink and heading out.

Reaching out to Hagan through the gem on his temple, he asks, Hagan, I'm thinking of doing some spelunking, but I'm rusty on finding traps. Do you have an item to recreate a Psychic Reformation, or know a psion who would be willing to do it?

Spoiler
    Show
    Psychic Reformation costs the manifester and recipient 25xp each, right? If I use Psychic Reformation right now, would I be reduced to level 5 from the xp cost?

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    50 XP per level adjusted, split evenly between the two.
    Yes, if you lose enough XP, you will lose a level entirely... which would be okay, I suppose, if you wanted to seriously change your character.

"I know someone who can do it, if you'll deliver an item to him for me. He'll charge you for it though."
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Too bad the whole 5gp:1xp ratio isn't a thing. Plus the power specifically mentions it applies to both, so I couldn't pay the psion to pay the full thing anyway.

Does he want it today?

Going back to the barkeep, he asks in a low voice, "Is there a place in the city where I can get some fighting experience in?"

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

"You sure ask a lot of questions, kid, but, yeah, there is. You could always take a job here or head out to the Slums. Word on the street is that them hobs got a fighting ring setup where death doesn't kill you. Gotta pay to play though."
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

Rand shrugs. I'm a very inquisitive person; you should've seen me ten years ago.

He thanks the man for the information, and then goes back to his cart. He brings Rosey back to the stable, and then makes his way to the place where the farmer's land was mentioned to be. Might as well check it out, first.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I feel like I'm really stymieing your character development, but I'm really not trying to. I'm trying to give you every opportunity that I reasonably can and rolling for random encounters and such... Getting established as a respectable citizen is pretty difficult.
    Hagan had it pretty easy, because he was pretty much picking up right where my previous character left off. I promise you're going to get something going soonish... On a positive note, you've made a fair number of good contacts through the city, far more than most of the other players have. Most others have one or two contacts at the most. You have like... 7? 8?
    You approach the farmhouse to find the wife hanging laundry while the husband is unsaddling a work mule. He stops as you approach and walks out to meet you.

"Ho there! What can I do for you?"
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    No, you're following the logical progression of what's supposed to happen, I feel. I'm just horribly under optimized, which is making me hesitant to take risks. I mean, no trap finding, no real offensive abilities, subpar to mediocre AC... And I'm hesitant to get in touch with Vina and Harris because I joined up with Hagan, and Vina said that doing so wouldn't do me any favors with them. I don't think those bridges are burned, but they are more rickety.

You had a character before Hagan? And yeah, Hagan had that thing with the nobleman's wife out the starting gate, lol.

On the way over, Rand had decided to update his look a bit: His hair changed to become short and brown, his eyes to amber, and his skin to a dark tan. Still human, but notably different from his look before.

He gives the man a smile, and says, You're the farmer who found those ruins, right? I'm so excited to take a look at them. How much is it to go in?
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2015-05-01 at 08:35 PM.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    When we changed from Sesbury to Aldhaven, I switched characters. I didn't like the way that character was built too much and wanted to change how he approached things. Hagan is a whole new build, but he's the same "character" under a new name, both of which are actually only pseudonyms. Mechanically, they're completely different, but as far as fluff goes, they're the same... if that makes any sense. Though, Hagan Erbauer is his legal name now here in Aldhaven... There's a LOT of backstory to Hagan.

The funniest thing is that the building he got due to the artist's death... well, he actually killed that person as his old self. Punchinello was quite the mercenary assassin...
    Of course, this makes you the first person other than myself and planswalker to know about this...

He nods.

"Aye, that I am. I'm charging 50 gold to enter, 15 reentry if you leave and come back. Anything and everything you find is yours to keep.
    Only stipulation is that is you come across any other adventurers who died in their attempts that you bring them out with you so we can follow proper burial procedures."
    Last edited by Rizban; 2015-05-01 at 08:56 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, that's what you meant by "If you name him Punchinello, it's an auto-deny", lol. And jeez, you're not kidding about the amount of backstory Hagan has.

That reminds me, I need to make Rand an Aldhaven citizen at some point soon...

Rand takes out the money and puts it in the man's hands. Here you go; see ya in a bit!

He approaches the opening of the ruins, and stops outside. Touching his armor, he makes it hard enough to take damage for him, if only once. Taking out a length of black string, he gestures with his hands and touches his headband. He also takes a stone from the ground and casts an infusion to make it light up.

Then, he begins to walk into the ruins, walking slowly and keeping his eyes wide open.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Ablative Armor (DR 11/- for first attack to hit), Skill Enhancement (Search +5 circumstance), and Light on a stone.
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2015-05-01 at 09:06 PM.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Titan in the Playground

The stench of mildew and old air assaults your senses as you approach the opening in the ground. Looking inside the 10-foot square opening, you see the intricate stonework of an ancient passage, carved with elegant scroll work and images numerous adventurers meeting their deaths by various means from monsters to traps, though most of the scenes depict brutal traps of various kinds. A row of small holes directly above a scene of soldiers dying under a hail of arrows has been outlined in bright red chalk with a small skull drawn near it. Stairs descend into the pit below you.

At the bottom of the short staircase, you can see an almost flawlessly smooth floor engraved with a large skeletal hand clutching several arrows dripping with poison. Strange, faintly glowing runes form a circle around the engraving.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Well, that was nice of someone to outline that arrow trap. The skull is a nice touch.

Rand inspects the runes from as far away as he can.

Spoiler
    Show
    Is there any visible doorway or some such?

Fingers and toes crossed for:
    Spellcraft: (1d20+12)[29]

Also, though Rand doesn't have Know (Religion), that's probably the symbol of Hextor right there.

Edit: I just realized that you didn't say that Rand walked down the stairs. If he didn't, then he'll take 10 to Search the stairs as he descends them for 21.
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2015-05-01 at 09:19 PM.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

((And just for the hell of it, Knowledge (Architecture): (1d20+4)[10]. If I accidentally walked into a trap by forgetting to Search, please be gentle))

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    It's a 10 foot square hole in the ground with stairs leading down into a stone room. The farmer discovered it covered by a large, flat stone, which he pulled off using draft animals. Nothing else is visible from outside.
    Deciphering the runes will require a successful decipher script check, as you do not speak the proper language.

The stonework is old but seems sounds. The engravings all appear hand carved. Whoever built this took significant time and effort.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2015-05-01 at 09:23 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Really? And after all that trouble to speak so many languages, too. Does the Spellcraft roll tell me nothing about the magical nature of it?

Edit: that's another problem: all the plot-significant rolls I make never are a success (First the Artificer Knowledge check, now this...)

Decipher Script: (1d20+8)[14]
    Last edited by Thokk_Smash; 2015-05-01 at 09:25 PM.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Your spellcraft check tells you that the glow is only visual in nature, providing the ability to read it in darkness.

Yeah... It's an obscure ancient language... but now that you say something, I double checked your sheet to see if you do speak it.
    From what you can decipher, it seems to be an old dialect of Common mixed with some Sylvan but uses archaic character forms taken from Infernal. Good grief!
    It appears to read as follows, but you aren't entirely sure what a few of the words mean.

Doom falls upon cowards who ??? defile the sanctity of my hallowed tomb(?). Respect my [bones/remains](?) and be warned.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Do the floors have anything on them, i.e. depictions of bones? Am I still at the lip of the cavern?

30. - Top - End - #240
    Titan in the Playground

The floors don't even have dust on them. They seem to be swept spotlessly clean.

You're standing outside until you say you enter.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2015-05-01 at 09:42 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List