New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Default Help Me Pos' Dat!

I have something to post on a thread that I've been working on for a while. It is on Microsoft Word Office. When I try to cut & paste it onto the thread, however, the resulting thread ignores all of my spacing, fonts, and images. What should I do?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Help Me Pos' Dat!

All images will have to be hosted on a website somewhere. Imageshack and Photobucket are popular sites for this, but first you'll need the images as their own separate files outside the document. Depending on how and where you got the images, you might already have them as their own files; otherwise I'm not familiar enough with Word to know the best way to do that. Once you have the images hosted somewhere, you will need to replace each one with the appropriate [img] tag.

For spacing and fonts, all formatting will have to be specified with appropriate bbcode tags. The specific tags depend on the details of what you're trying to do, and unfortunately will have to all be done manually.

As a general note, never assume that copy and paste will take anything but plain text without checking first, especially for anything going into a form on a web site.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2015-02-18 at 03:23 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, you can add the formatting and spacing and images via BBCode, I guess (the images would have to be hosted online). Or link to a google docs thing?

Thing is, Word's formatting is not the same as the formatting used to post here. For example, to bold something, you just select it and bold it and that's it. Here? You need to use tags. [B]these tags, for example[/B], which look like this, nice and bolded when you post.

So yeah. You can add the formatting with the tags (they show up in the window when you post). Or maybe you can do the whole thing in google docs and link it.

Edit: Douglas ninja'd me, but still.
    Last edited by bluewind95; 2015-02-18 at 03:30 PM. Reason: could have sworn code tags left the tags intact, but nooo.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Thanks, guys. Not the answer for which I was hoping, but now I can get to work.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Click the top-left button, WYSIWYG mode, and it'll do it properly for most things. For example, I just ctrl-c'd bluewind's avvie, and got:

Also, I copiedthis, nice and bolded when you post.

Seems to work, right?

Though you'll still need to host images online.
    Last edited by Jormengand; 2015-02-18 at 05:36 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

You could also upload the dog somewhere, say to Google Drive, and then share that, if it's not vital that the post have the text you've made in its body.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.