New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Psion with Martial Training edit: viewable

edit: Accidently submitted when adding tags. This is going to take a while. Ignore thread while that happens
    edit 2: Got it to a working state
    (going to do a new thread for this because I'm hardly an expert at general Psion stuff and will need comments on that part of the build just as much as new PoW stuff)

The newly revealed Elemental Flux has boosts that reduce an enemy's energy resistance for your next "attack" (which I can't find defined except in invisibility, which makes blast powers clearly fit). It's discipline skill is also int based. I figured I'd give a go at trying to combine the two and see if there are enough counters and boosts that apply to spells to make it worthwhile.

Race: Blue
    STR: 9 DEX: 16 CON: 14 INT: 18 WIS: 13 CHA: 7
    Psion (kineticist) 20
    FCB: More PP
    Traits: Student of Philosphy/whatever
    Feats:
    1:Overchannel
    1P:Talented
    3-13: Martial Training 1-6
    5b: Psychic Meditation (for quicker active element swaps)
    10b: Rime Power
    15: Victorious Recovery
    15b:
    17:
    19: Advanced Study: Elemental Breach, Whatever the final 9th maneuver is.

1: Eldritch Shield, Fluctiation Movement
    2: Eldritch Fang, Degrade Resistance s: Embrace the ELements
    3: ???, Arcane Shield s: Elemental Flux Stance (third level is empty for this)
    4: Assay Resistance, Eldritch Consumption
    5: Embrace Element, ??? s: Enter the Vortex (Embrace Element is nice, but nothing to go with it)
    6: Eldritch Fang Flurry, Shatter Resistance

Powers Known:
    Talents:
    1:
    2:
    3:
    4:
    5:
    6:
    7:
    8:
    9:
    Notable Items: Mask of Conflcting Energies (Adds acid damage as an option, plus can make rime spell do fire damage)

With Eldritch Fang and Eldritch Fang Flurry you can force everyone hit by your energy powers to make a save or be staggered/blinded. With Embrace Element you can actually benefit from dropping powers directly on top of yourself.
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2015-02-21 at 05:42 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Psion with Martial Training edit: viewable

The problem is that you need combat powers to make psions viable at close quarter and to get those you need to use expanded knowledge. You spend all your feats on martial training though.

So while this combination isn't the worst possible the actions and resources to use strikes on enemies is just a bit too high in my opinion. However combining a martial kineticist Psywar with those feats might be a decent choice.I'll probably include that in the handbook at some point so thanks for the pointer ... mind if I give you credit for it when I eventually get to it?
    Last edited by Feint's End; 2015-02-21 at 06:22 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Unless there's an actual definition of "attack" aside from the one in invisibility I missed, the maneuvers chosen all apply to the energy ___ powers (and any other offensive powers)
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2015-02-21 at 06:53 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    Unless there's an actual definition of "attack" aside from the one in invisibility I missed, the maneuvers chosen all apply to the energy ___ powers (and any other offensive powers)
    Hu ... might need to give it another read. I still doubt that the resources are worth the result but it might make it semi viable.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

While I'm unsure one way or another and actually side with you that the boosts would effect powers, I have two nitpicks.

First, kineticists can change their energy type on the fly so psionic meditation. While still great. Isn't needed for that purpose.

Secondly. Following the same rules as 3.5, it would be easy to pick up a level of Harbinger or Mystic to get your maneuvers later on. Giving you a better recovery method and the ability to effectively reuse maneuvers. It would free up a lot of feats. And with the diverse training feat, you should be able to get a few extra benefits from it.

Now I'm sure you're worried about that lost manifested level. It'll lose you a 9th level power known and some PP, but you can recoup the manifester level itself by taking the psigifted trait from ultimate psionics. Even if traits aren't baseline the additional traits feat exists to give you access to it.
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Meditation (and the 13 wisdom tax) is for this line in Elemental Flux
    If the character is psionic and has an active energy type, this active energy type and active element are synonymous and may both be changed at the same time in a manner than changes one or the other.
    A dip would probably be better then blowing all the feats (and could be used to pick up the Eternal Hourglass stance that extends everything).

I'm going with the "it's viable and unique, but not something that breaks that game in two" upon realizing how many feats this eats.
    Last edited by deuxhero; 2015-02-21 at 09:05 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    3-13: Martial Training 1-6
    19: Advanced Study: Whatever the final 9th maneuver is
    Does it really work?

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Nyaa View Post
    Does it really work?
    Yes ... if your initiation modifier is high enough you can get an IL of 20 without ever taking a level in an initiator class.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I don't think Martial Training qualifies you for "Martial disciple of 4th level or higher" prerequisite of Advanced Study, or gives your class any "your class’s list of disciplines".
    Anyway, Awakened Blade can get ML17/IL15 or vice versa, BAB15, average d8 hit die and awesome class abilities.