New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: KILL SIX BILLION DEMONS: Beginnings are false and I am a consummate liar.

Quote Originally Posted by Nettlekid View Post
    New Cover!

So a few neat things! We finally get a good look at the Grand Dragon, the Demiurge of Greed, Mammon. Those spikes in him look like the iron needles Jagganoth was described as embedding into his body?

It looks like Princess Esquire and the girl Allison saved (do we know her name?) are going to stick along with the cast. Interesting inclusions, I wonder what role they'll play. Oskar too. Is Allison no longer being chased by the mob of mercenaries and Preem Nand's dolls as of the battle in Mottom's palace?

Love the faceless White Chain looking at a fractured fragment of her armor's face. We still don't really know what the implications of her actions were - the removal of her face and the fact that she joined the Thorn Knights to further 2 Michael's cause. She's probably feeling fairly unfriendly toward them because of Juggernaut Star, but really Juggernaut Star is the one who Michael should be angry with, not White Chain.

But really, the winner of this cover page is our friendly protagonist. Yowch, Allison, looking good! I like that her hair reversion from Mottom's fruit didn't wear off so she's on her natural brunette, and the whole "cut hair as a sign of personal growth/change" thing seems to be in play here. But she's also just looking really...comfortable. Between this and the last page of the last book, where she tells Cio to get used to it, it sounds like she's beginning to embrace her role in this cosmic game? I worry that Zoss' key might be corrupting her a little. Zoss used the blackest of black magics and was a power-hungry tyrant, there's no way that none of that is seeping into his chosen successor.
    Girls name is Nyave Anyadis.

You also forgot that on the left side we see that Red mask demon boyfriend of Cio's - him being featured on the cover despite not being part of the rescue means he definitely has a part to play. Maybe it was his ship they borrowed?

Dunno about the spikes. They LOOK similar to the ones Jagganoth hammered into himself, but since Mammon was never human to begin with we dunno if they might be there for a different purpose.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Re: KILL SIX BILLION DEMONS: Beginnings are false and I am a consummate liar.

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    To save not having to search the story to look it up again, her name is Nyave Anyadis. There is no way I would remember that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    Girls name is Nyave Anyadis.
    You're welcome.

I think I'm going to have to create a text file for notes for this one, though. Too many things to remember.

I'm beginning to wonder if Nyave ever lacks a worried expression on her face. So far, she just seems to be a worried helper. I guess we'll see what use she'll be --same as some of the others.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-10-14 at 11:04 PM.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

her name is Nyave Anyadis. There is no way I would remember that.
    Think of it as Ny (not) - 'ave Any - a - dis (this).
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -D- View Post
    I'm getting Korra vibes. I'll be mildly disappointed if she turns out lesbian/bisexual. Nothing wrong with it, just too many action girl protagonists, with slight masculine appearance going that route
    To quote someone, "Better get used to it." Allison's preferences have been getting hinted at since the start of the comic. Unlike Korra, she doesn't seem to have any chemistry at all with guys.

I don't see many parallels between this comic and Korra. There seems to be plenty of room for differences without the very minor plot point of sexual orientation.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leewei View Post
    To quote someone, "Better get used to it." Allison's preferences have been getting hinted at since the start of the comic.
    What, get used to cliches? Sure. I'll wait, till they just fall out of fashion. I'm hoping for asexual route.

Were they? What hints? Only one I can remember is that Cio (a fanfic writer, not known for quality writing) was mentioning Allison's story, with her having female love interest. I thought that was lampshading, not foreshadowing.
    Last edited by -D-; 2016-10-17 at 11:02 AM.

6. - Top - End - #456
    Troll in the Playground

What, get used to cliches?
    Is a gay/queer main character truly a cliché? It seems to me that straight characters are by far more common, even in today's media, yet the same accusation doesn't seem to ever get flung at these characters. Why does this stand out as a cliché if there's truly nothing wrong with it?

Were they? What hints? Only one I can remember is that Cio (a fanfic writer) was mentioning writing story about Allison as having female love interest. I thought that was lampshading, not foreshadowing.
    The foreshadowing I mentioned would be the comic's initial scene between Allison and her then-boyfriend who clearly didn't have any chemistry.

It may well be that Allison is intended to be asexual rather than lesbian in the comic as it stands. The harem-ism going on seems to suggest interest in other women, but Abaddon will probably get a lot more mileage out of the situation by leaving things uncomfortably ambiguous.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Ogre in the Playground

Is a gay/queer main character truly a cliché? It seems to me that straight characters are by far more common, even in today's media, yet the same accusation doesn't seem to ever get flung at these characters. Why does this stand out as a cliché if there's truly nothing wrong with it?
    Is it cliche? Not yet. But it's getting there.

Not a gay/queer main character. A female protagonist, an action girl, that's into women, and looks slightly masculine. That's what bothers me.
    I kid you not, I might be okay if she actually kept the long hair. At least there would be variety.

I liked Almond from Cucumber Quest, think she was done pretty awesomely. Her yandere girlfriend Peridot was amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by TvTropes definition
    A cliché is a phrase, motif, trope, or other element within an artistic work that has become common enough to be seen as an expected part of a work.
    They aren't bad on themselves. A Buttler Did It, is a cliche. Some are more harmful - e.g. Black man dies first. They do make things... predictable.

I'm sure that her friend or what's he's called won't hook up with Allison, since they had so little time on screen. Though reading through TvTropes it seems original K6BD she was closeted?
    Last edited by -D-; 2016-10-17 at 11:37 AM.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Ettin in the Playground

...Black man dies first. ...
    Funnily enough, that particular thing hasn't been true for decades now, due to people knowing of the cliche and riffing on it. So while that's still talked about like it's a universal truth, it has happened so much less often as to not be the default anymore.
    Meanwhile we are still nearing the height of action lesbians for protagonists, if they are protagonists, and I feel that has yet to rise to its peak. >_>
    (Common traits: Being the protagonist, being about action, being into girls.)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

9. - Top - End - #459
    Colossus in the Playground

Well, Ghost in the Shell was a while ago, but I can only think of a handful otherwise.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

10. - Top - End - #460
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think those spikes look an awful lot like the one that got stuck into and then pulled out of white chain. The one kicked him out of his body.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Well, Ghost in the Shell was a while ago, but I can only think of a handful otherwise.
    On top of my head: Korra, Dresden Codak, Sinfest, Catwoman.

I said, it isn't super common, but the fact that they all tick all boxes (female, into women, protagonist, somewhat masculine) kinda irks me.

Quote Originally Posted by Arutha View Post
    I think those spikes look an awful lot like the one that got stuck into and then pulled out of white chain. The one kicked him out of his body.
    Uuuh, intrigue. Maybe he synthesizes them. Not sure what properties do spikes need to have.

Weird choice of pronoun. Angels are gender-less and white chain identifies closer to a female than a male. I'd use its since it's a humanoid abomination. Essentially a star in a human-like suit.
    Last edited by -D-; 2016-10-18 at 08:27 AM.

12. - Top - End - #462
    Firbolg in the Playground

MindFlayer

To quote someone, "Better get used to it." Allison's preferences have been getting hinted at since the start of the comic. Unlike Korra, she doesn't seem to have any chemistry at all with guys.
    She is literally on this quest to save her sort-of boyfriend because she was trying to get laid when it started. Now if she realizes new things about herself in the meanwhile that's certainly part and parcel of the whole "journey of self discovery" thing. But considering page one of the comic, I don't think we should be too quick to assume she isn't into guys.

13. - Top - End - #463
    Troll in the Playground

She is literally on this quest to save her sort-of boyfriend because she was trying to get laid when it started. Now if she realizes new things about herself in the meanwhile that's certainly part and parcel of the whole "journey of self discovery" thing. But considering page one of the comic, I don't think we should be too quick to assume she isn't into guys.
    Agreed. She was pretty not into it with wassisface but was that her not being into guys or not being into that particular guy?
    Truth resists simplicity.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Troll in the Playground

I said hinted at, as opposed to it being spelled out. Time will tell.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Troll in the Playground

IDK, seemed like how I felt when I found myself in college and still a virgin. You kinda feel like there is something wrong with you, why don't the guys want to **** you and, at the same time, you kinda feel above it all, like you obviously deserve better than this shmuck. After all you waited

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ettin in the Playground

Since this is Mammon book, honestly I'd be pretty surprised if this was the book it was explored at all, or just towards the end.

Lets be straight here - any kind of sexual orientation questioning/tension/confusion is prime territory for the Incubus book.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Troll in the Playground

That makes loads of sense.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ogre in the Playground

Since this is Mammon book, honestly I'd be pretty surprised if this was the book it was explored at all, or just towards the end.

Lets be straight here - any kind of sexual orientation questioning/tension/confusion is prime territory for the Incubus book.
    Unless, Mammon book is secretly the Incubus book

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ettin in the Playground

Unless, Mammon book is secretly the Incubus book
    Doubt it.

But it does follow a logical path from Mammon to Incubus being next, if you lay out the likely storyline.

1) Zaid is in Mammon's pad, and Allison is committed to rescuing Zaid
    2) After a large amount of plot/intrigue/exposition/growth/power usage, Allison succeeds in rescuing Zaid
    3) Allison has no real clue what to do with Zaid now that she's succeeded in rescuing him
    4) Zaid's presence in the group leads to sexual tension/confusion as Allison tries to figure out what she actually wants
    5) Incubus uses this confusion to try and manipulate Allison, starting the Incubus book

EDIT - Or alternately, INCUBUS has altered his appearance to look like Zaid, and he's the one that they 'rescue' from Mammon. Then continue with manipulation and confusion in Incubus book.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2016-10-20 at 04:45 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

20. - Top - End - #470
    Ettin in the Playground

OK while I'm sure its cathartic for her to make that ultimatum, how exactly is she planning to verify if one of them is lying to her?

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

OK while I'm sure its cathartic for her to make that ultimatum, how exactly is she planning to verify if one of them is lying to her?
    Who would dare lie to someone who just slapped a goddess? And she could zap them off the ship, too. I can't blame Allison if she's not completely rational yet. She's been through a lot. And really, even if she can't be certain that they will tell the truth, she will probably know a lot more at the end than she knows now. I don't think it can hurt her.

One thing that might help somewhat is that each of them might worry that another one of them won't let them get away with too big of a snow job. Unfortunately, a lot of times you can't verify things and you just have to go with what people say. Allison really doesn't have any choice, but she probably should keep some suspicion in the back of her mind.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-10-22 at 08:08 AM.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Troll in the Playground

One thing that might help somewhat is that each of them might worry that another one of them won't let them get away with too big of a snow job.
    Interesting point this one. The politics at play here... Hmm. Cio in particular has to worry about White Chain and/or Princess, Esq. calling her on BS, if either of them has put together the clues we've been getting about her. Will White Chain reveal the full truth of their mission? I'm inclined to think yes, but if they don't nobody is in a position to call 82 out.
    Truth resists simplicity.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Titan in the Playground

Who would dare lie to someone who just slapped a goddess?
    Those who helped resque her bum, or are tending her wounds from said slap? Its one thing if she managed to get away from it unharmed, but as it is she only barely managed to get away in one piece. So all it does is to show she is completely insane when it comes to danger.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

24. - Top - End - #474
    Ettin in the Playground

New comic!

Serious bonus points for working the word 'skullduggery' into a comic. Its such a great word, nobody uses it anymore.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2016-10-26 at 02:53 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

25. - Top - End - #475
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm, ok, so White Chain thinks Metatron thinks Zaid is the chosen successor.

Based on Zoss's interactions, it definitely looks like Allison was who Zoss intended to give the Key to the whole time.

I think Metatron is BSing White Chain and he knows Allison is the actual successor. My guess is he's going to try to give Zaid the Key because he knows he can manipulate/control Zaid. Or he's just going to rip it out of Allison's head so NOBODY can have the Key.
    Last edited by Olinser; 2016-10-29 at 06:14 PM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

26. - Top - End - #476

MindFlayer

Anyone who has directly said that Zaid is the successor is acting off of secondhand knowledge. The two people who seem to have perception of the future and act as oracles are Jadis and Metatron, both of whom speak in a language that cannot be properly understood. It seems like the only reasons Zaid is of note at all is just because he was near Allison when Zoss came to her and so people assume Zoss meant to go to Zaid.

When White Chain recounts her encounter with Michael, Juggernaut, and Metatron, she says that Michael said that Metatron said that Zoss had chosen a successor to take the key, and then Michael continued to say that Juggernaut's actions led to the key being given to the wrong person. It seems like Michael (already established as sexist in his disdain of White Chain's feminine expression) is assuming Zaid to be the successor, but all that Metatron actually stated was that there was a successor.

Similarly, Jadis is stated to be infallible in her predictions. All she ever actually said was "The succcccessss-s-s-s-s-s...Kill Six Billion Demons" It was her clergy who translated the prophecy, and they and the rest of the Seven seemed to infer that Zaid was the named successor.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Similarly, Jadis is stated to be infallible in her predictions. All she ever actually said was "The succcccessss-s-s-s-s-s...Kill Six Billion Demons" It was her clergy who translated the prophecy, and they and the rest of the Seven seemed to infer that Zaid was the named successor.
    Jadis said it much more clearly on the final panel of the previous page:

Jagganoth (to Mottom): Who is that boy?
    Jadis: He.. is.. the.. successor.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-11-04 at 10:25 AM.

28. - Top - End - #478

MindFlayer

Jadis said it much more clearly on the final panel of the previous page:

Jagganoth (to Mottom): Who is that boy?
    Jadis: He.. is.. the.. successor.
    Ah, I missed that. That's actually very interesting that he's been given that title. What I do notice is that while Jadis has said that Zaid is the successor, she didn't outright say he's Zoss' successor. He could well be the successor to one or all of the Demiurges, taking up the mantle of the corrupt ruler of the cosmos. Maybe?

If you go to the wikia's page about The Successor, at the bottom there's a mention of a mysterious figure who was watching the Concordance of the Demiurges. I can't figure out where that figure actually appears in the comic. Does anyone know?

29. - Top - End - #479

Ah, I missed that. That's actually very interesting that he's been given that title. What I do notice is that while Jadis has said that Zaid is the successor, she didn't outright say he's Zoss' successor. He could well be the successor to one or all of the Demiurges, taking up the mantle of the corrupt ruler of the cosmos. Maybe?

If you go to the wikia's page about The Successor, at the bottom there's a mention of a mysterious figure who was watching the Concordance of the Demiurges. I can't figure out where that figure actually appears in the comic. Does anyone know?
    In the splash panel with 'demons', there's a lone figure standing in the wastes on the left, a shade (IIRC), presumably. The next page seems to reveal it to be Allison, but one cannot be entirely certain. This comic's nothing if not trippy as hell.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #480
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    In the splash panel with 'demons', there's a lone figure standing in the wastes on the left, a shade (IIRC), presumably. The next page seems to reveal it to be Allison, but one cannot be entirely certain. This comic's nothing if not trippy as hell.
    I think I agree with how you interpreted the panel, but I don't think that's what the wiki meant. It seemed to be talking about a second figure (in addition to Allison). The way I read it, it was talking about this figure, given the reference links. I don't recognize/remember where it came from and don't understand how a link to that image supports the claim. It looks like it could be an future version of Allison, though.

Or maybe I don't know what "splash panel" you are referring to?
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-11-04 at 11:56 AM.