New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Light the Signal New IC

The tallest by far of the girls assembled wraps an arm around Sayuri's shoulders, gently but with enough firmness to stop any further retreats. "Nothing to get embarrassed about, yeh?" she says, with an upper Midwestern twang in her voice. "We all have our quirks." She guides Sayuri with the same gentle firmness back to the group to wrap her other arm around Rebecca's shoulders with the familiarity of old friends. "Rebecca and me, we're used to being an oddball set. Won't hurt to have a few more, you betcha." She grins a grin that would be friendly were it not for a mouthful of teeth pointed at a level somewhere between Rebecca's fangs and Edward's rows of points. "'Sides, I'm sure I get more jokes thrown at me than most of the rest of you. Nature of high school, unfortunately, even around here. That nice invisible dome does wonders for Rebecca here, but it don't do a thing at keeping the moon out. Name's Ellen. And I'm a werewolf." Perhaps she was just naturally inclined to accepting teammates as any good athlete is, or perhaps it was something of a latent pack mentality tied to her condition, but she treated newcomer and old teammate alike as if they were all old, old friends.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. - Top - End - #752
    Colossus in the Playground

A pleasure to meet you, Ellen Nanoha says, smiling and holding her hand out to shake like she'd done with enarly all the others here.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #753
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    Wait, Sayuri, don't go! Nanoha says. Stick around, please?
    Sayuri looked up meekly, but looked down to the side. She was overwhelmed by the new experiances. Perhaps overwhelmed by how bad she was at being social, or perhaps just by the rush of noise and chatter around her.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLadyOfTheSith View Post
    The tallest by far of the girls assembled wraps an arm around Sayuri's shoulders, gently but with enough firmness to stop any further retreats. "Nothing to get embarrassed about, yeh?" she says, with an upper Midwestern twang in her voice. "We all have our quirks." She guides Sayuri with the same gentle firmness back to the group to wrap her other arm around Rebecca's shoulders with the familiarity of old friends.
    Sayuri stiffened and attempted to flinch away, but the sneak attack was too sudden and powerful. However something about Ellen was calming enough. The tension melted from her shoulders, and the calm pervaded the rest if her posture. "A werewolf? I've never seen a werewolf before. A wererat once but... that's not important. Hello Ellen."

At first Sayuri sounded surprised, and then calm. She finished with her scripted greeting, sounding almost tired at this point. "My name is Sayuri Kim. I am new to this school."

Looking at Ellen, the leader of insects smiled. "Please take me under your wing. I am a bioengineered metahuman. And apparently I leak venom when I am distressed. Would you like to meet a friend of mine? Mmm, as long as none of you are afraid of bugs."

4. - Top - End - #754
    Ogre in the Playground

Ellen unwraps her arm from Rebecca's shoulders to shake Nanoha's offered hand. To Sayuri she says in a curious tone, "'Take me under your wing'. You keep saying that like it's some sort of code phrase. What's the proper response supposed to be?"
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

5. - Top - End - #755
    Troll in the Playground

Alice watches Sayuri react, and whispers to Nanaho.

Spoiler
    Show
    "Sayuri appears distressed. Is this a reaction to something I said?"
    Quote Originally Posted by herodofcows View Post
    It is the ultimate in pseudo-pubescent manly bonding experiences. If you are good at pins 'n' rims, you are good at life.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Titan in the Playground

Sayuri hummed for a moment while she thought. "It's not code. It's what I was told to say. I wasn't told what to expect in response."

7. - Top - End - #757

Spoiler: Whispers Back
    Show
    I think it's the situation in general. She doesn't seem very acclimated to social climes, so to speak.

Tell you what, Sayuri-I'll take you under my wing. It just means someone to look after you and guide you around. I'm pretty new here myself, but I'll do what I can to help!

Show
    Show

Show

8. - Top - End - #758
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yeh, sure. You're part of the team, so of course I'll look after you. 'Take you under my wing' as you say. Not that I got wings. Paws sometimes, but it's all the same innit?" Ellen replies with another friendly-except-for-the-teeth-grin.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Titan in the Playground

Sayuri looked between the two and smiled nervously again. "Th-thank you for... helping. I will do my best as well."

10. - Top - End - #760

No problem! Nanoha says, a birght smile on her face as she claps an arm around Sayuri's shoulders.

Show
    Show

Show

11. - Top - End - #761
    Titan in the Playground

Sayuri's smile waxed, and became more genuine. "Now do you want to meet my friend? Who is a bug. That people are sometimes scared of."

12. - Top - End - #762

Sure? I'm not a huge fan of bugs, but a friend of yours is a friend of mine.

Show
    Show

Show

13. - Top - End - #763
    Titan in the Playground

Sayuri lifted the too of her bags slightly and dipped her hand inside. After a moment she returned her hand to her chest, carrying a rather large member of the Vespa genus; in fact it was an abnormally large member of the largest species: The Japanese Giant Hornet.

Sayuri beamed at the insect. "Her name is Velma, and she is the toughest member of my hive. Engineered to be smarter and larger. She's actually very sweet."

The insect was nearly four inches long, and it looked around, as if it was actually looking at the faces of the people. "She's not dangerous. I can completely control her. I don't always, but she won't hurt any of you. Unless you attack a member of my hive, I suppose."

14. - Top - End - #764

She's, um, uh... Lovely, Nanoha says. And a little bit terrifying.

Show
    Show

Show

15. - Top - End - #765
    Pixie in the Playground

"Okay, speech over and I'm out

16. - Top - End - #766
    Troll in the Playground

John leans closer to the giant hornet. "That is awesome."
    "Can you do science to it?"
    "I can do science to anything."

17. - Top - End - #767
    Ettin in the Playground

Rebecca grinned as she felt a familiar arm wrap around her. She and Ellen had been thick as thieves since the moment they met. The two of them had a metric ton in common. Whenever they combined forces, no amount of angst could get through their positive vibes. For instance, normally the presence of a giant monster hornet would be a serious source of concern for Rebecca; But with Ellen (and Bryn) by her side, she could take it in stride. Live and let live, right?

18. - Top - End - #768
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Business Scrub View Post
    Alice glances between the members of the conversation. Had they really not arrived at the conclusion already?
    "Perhaps I can elucidate...
    Raising one eyebrow at the explanation, Edward let out a sigh.
    "Well, I guess tha' game is over with, then... Shame, but wha'ever. Not bad, chickie, but yer about 'alf correct. I's not really about primary personalities. See, 'Enry an' I, we can't access each others powers. so the transformation ain't linked to tha', not consciously anyway. Besides, my biokinesis ain't strong enuff to change my phys'cal features like tha'. An' we checked, even our DNA changes when we shift, so we are for all intents 'n purposes, two diff'rent people. Plus I'm pretty sure we we're most like 'Enry before our powers manifested."

Quote Originally Posted by Space Lawyer View Post
    "This one's smart. She figured it out without even being able to listen in."

To Edward/Henry <Yes, I CAN hear you. Edward, you're quite rude. Henry, very nice to make your acquaintance.>

"Yeh, I'm rude. Ain't really got a problem with tha', though." He answers without looking over at the telepath, used to answering mental comments.

Heh, well brother, it would seem they have you figured out...
    Wait, she can hear me? O-oh, I am dreadfully sorry for this whole thing, m-miss! I-it is, uh, a pleasure to make your aquaintance, uhm as well...

"Riiiight, movin' on... as for you!" Edward interrupted Henry's frantic mental freakout, turning once more to Willow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mekboy View Post
    "You act like this to all us 'pretty birds' that catches yer fancy? Cause that would certainly explain why yer still tryin'. That and your personal scent that puts me in mind of a particularly diseased badger corpse left inna sun for a week. I mean, you humans are a nasty smellin' lot, but you're something special."

"No, I dun' bite every bird this 'ard, just the ones tha' bite back. But I find th'a they're the tastiest. Now, since ye went real pers'nal now, let's finish this, then. Ye say I smell like a dead badger, I 'ssume tha' means ye 'ave some experience with animals 'n such. tha' kinda figgers, since Fey and beasts 'ave a long close history. Evident by more or less every Fey myth involving some kind of 'alf fey 'alf animal thing. So tell me, what's yer preference? is it usually leg-humpers 'n plow-'orses fer you? did ye come here to get some diversity from yer normal beast-baitin'?"
    Edward took a step back, flourishing his arms toward the group, then taking a bow.
    "An' with tha' I think I shall, as the 'mericans would say "Drop the mike", an' leave on a 'igh note, now tha' introductions are out o' the way. Yer turn 'Enry."

Wait, what!? Edward, what are you....

Falling to his knees with a wry smile, Edward clutched his head, as his teeth started visibly grinding and moving about in his mouth, his cheekbones and jaw changing with a series of cracking noises, and his hair flowing back into his scalp. A few seconds later, his hair changed back to short and light brown, Henry sat panting on the floor.
    Slowly he sat back on his rump, hugging his knees, seemingly trying to make himself look smaller as he nervously watched the people around him.
    "I..." He mumbled nervously, his voice almost a whisper."I am truly sorry that you all had to see that. I-I also apologize for Edward's behaviour... it was completely inappropriate, and... And if you all would prefer that I withdraw our application and keep my distance from you forthwith, I would completely understand..."
    He looked down at his hands clutching his knees, not trusting himself to keep sounding that calm, when the inevitable rejection came.

You know, it ain't just me tha' get's ye excluded. Tha' victim attitude of yours is pretty pathetic... But even so, wha' of it? ye still got me, bruther dear. You an' I, joined at the proverbial hip, f'rever an' ever... Kehehee
    Last edited by gremlin-pult; 2015-10-22 at 05:36 AM.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gremlin-pult View Post
    Slowly he sat back on his rump, hugging his knees, seemingly trying to make himself look smaller as he nervously watched the people around him.
    "I..." He mumbled nervously, his voice almost a whisper."I am truly sorry that you all had to see that. I-I also apologize for Edward's behaviour... it was completely inappropriate, and... And if you all would prefer that I withdraw our application and keep my distance from you forthwith, I would completely understand..."
    "It's fine. You haven't done anything wrong. Your brother, who happens to inhabit the same body, is kind of a jerk. So what? The body is pretty much just a meat suit." She thinks for a moment. "I'd strongly consider signing up for Basic Mental Control. Pretty decent course. It could help you learn to control the changes. I could also try and teach you, if you wanted."

Quote Originally Posted by gremlin-pult View Post
    You know, it ain't just me tha' get's ye excluded. Tha' victim attitude of yours is pretty pathetic... But even so, wha' of it? ye still got me, bruther dear. You an' I, joined at the proverbial hip, f'rever an' ever... Kehehee
    <That was for public consumption. I could also blast this twit out of your headspace if you really wanted, or impose some fairly severe mental blocks.>
    07/03/2018: I’m back. The long break was necessary.

Discord Tag #4097

20. - Top - End - #770
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Space Lawyer View Post
    "It's fine. You haven't done anything wrong. Your brother, who happens to inhabit the same body, is kind of a jerk. So what? The body is pretty much just a meat suit." She thinks for a moment. "I'd strongly consider signing up for Basic Mental Control. Pretty decent course. It could help you learn to control the changes. I could also try and teach you, if you wanted."

<That was for public consumption. I could also blast this twit out of your headspace if you really wanted, or impose some fairly severe mental blocks.>
    "R-really? You are not angry, o-or disgusted?" The boy asked with wonder. He didn't get out of his position though, still wary of the reaction of the others. "I... I suppose some training would be wise, I... never really considered it... B-but I am not very good with crowds... per-perhaps it would be better if y-you..." He blanched at the realization that he was talking directly to, and considering further conversations with a female. But rather one kind girl than a crowd of strangers.
    "If you would be so kind as to offer your help, I would be pleased to accept your offer, miss, uhm..."Realising to his horror that he hadn't caught her name, he hurried on, hoping to correct that faux pas. "As for the, ah, other offer, I am afraid I must turn it down... Despite his less than stellar disposition and many, many failings..."
    OI!

"...Edward is still my brother, a part of me, and has the potential, at least, to be a slightly more decent person. He has as much right to exist as I.... But thank you for the kind offer."

Tha's really sweet, 'Enry. Warms me right to me pitch-black little 'eartmuscle. Still gonna get ye for tha' "failings" comment, tho'
    Last edited by gremlin-pult; 2015-10-22 at 06:28 AM.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Bugbear in the Playground

When Sayuri takes out the wasp, William takes one look at it and then vanishes from his spot amongst the group in a gust of wind and streaks of viridian lightning only to reappear behind Alice, using the robotic body as a potential shield.

22. - Top - End - #772

"Oi! Now that's just not fair! Can't just run away like that! You tell your 'bruther' that this ain't over yet!"
    Akrim.elf made this avatar. She's awesome like that.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Troll in the Playground

At first, Alice pays little attention to the oversized wasp. However, she definitely notices William suddenly become agitated and take shelter behind her.

Human panic detected. Prime directive activated: Protect. Subdirective: remove threat.

In an instant, Alice's demeanor radically changes. Her almost-natural stance shifts into a defensive one between the wasp and William, with open hands at the ready to crush the wasp if it moves into range. Her eyes, which track the creature flawlessly, have changed to a deep red.

Threat identified: Genetically oversized Apocrita (Unclassified). Means of attack: Bite: Minimal. Stinger: Minimal. Injection-based Biohazard: unknown.
    It is the ultimate in pseudo-pubescent manly bonding experiences. If you are good at pins 'n' rims, you are good at life.

24. - Top - End - #774
    Ettin in the Playground

Luckily for William, there were plenty of willing shields around. He'd soon find his left side guarded as well, by a girl who didn't need to worry about poison. Rebecca smiled reassuringly as she positioned herself right next to the skittish speedster.

"Relax: You're safe. Between Ellen, me, and all the others, there's enough firepower here to stop a tank."

25. - Top - End - #775

Henry, it's okay. Your brother can be a little bit of a jerk, but we won't hold that against you-that'd be silly of us, Nanoha says.

As soon as Alice enters her "battle mode", Nanoha starts. Alice, what are you doing?

Show
    Show

Show

26. - Top - End - #776
    Troll in the Playground

"William... has demonstrated fear of the Apocrita and is taking shelter. I am protecting him."

27. - Top - End - #777

O-kay. But Sayuri said she's harmless, and I trust her, Nanoha says. It might be big and scary looking, but it's okay.

Show
    Show

Show

28. - Top - End - #778

William looks gratefully at rebecca and Alice for shielding him from the dreaded giant wasp.

"It's not so harmless when you have a fast acting metabolism and an allergy."

29. - Top - End - #779
    Titan in the Playground

Sayuri gently strokes the wasp before placing it on her shoulder. The creature crawls down its master's back and into the bag from which it had been taken just earlier.

"Which part are you alergic to? The venom or the spittle? It won't sting you. Or bite you. You're perfectly safe."

Sayuri turns to John and beckons him over. "Do you want to see my apiary later then? Members of Apocrita include ants, bees, wasps, hornets and a few others."

30. - Top - End - #780
    Ogre in the Playground

Ellen doesn't appear to react when Sayuri produces a giant bug. She continues to keep an arm about the other girl's shoulder in a comradely fashion. Meanwhile, at the center of things, Garrett folds up the scrap of paper with the metaball tryout information and steps aside to make way for an average-looking olive-skinned girl. Not nearly as pretty as most of the newcomers or Rebecca or Bryn, but by no means ugly either. Just-- average. Aside from her thick, black hair, the most notable thing about her is a patch stitched onto the sleeve of her jacket: A bronze star with a silver border. Fronting the star is an upturned sword with a yellow vine wrapped around the blade-- the symbol of the Star Knights-- or, Junior Star Knights, in this case, as the real Knights' emblem is a silver star, not a bronze one. "I'm Diana. Student Platoon Leader for November Platoon. Our platoon, or at least, our platoon for those here who are Junior Knights. We're going to have two squads. Squad one consists of myself, Alfred, Michelle, Jeff, Thomas, Wren, Simon, Garrett, and Vera. Squad two is Ellen, Richard, Orlando, Willow, John, Indira, Nanoha, Alice, Henry, Sayuri. I'll be assigning squad leaders on a pro-tem basis before Saturday. See me for your patches. Skip your normal 5th period today and assemble in the Dome " here she used the slang name for the John F Kennedy gymnasium, "for our first training session and briefing. Any questions?"