New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Spaceside

1. - Top - End - #31
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Spaceside

Heir'ri's Place

Kote leaves, since there's no reason for him to hang around.
    The Mando will look around for anything on site that could spot him a little extra cash.

That deal cost more than I was expecting...
    At least we have a ship now.

Hey, at least he's optimistic, right?
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Zane and Aric by Recaiden. Aric Kat by Hatter.

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: FFRP Newbie Links
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Salmagundi Station-Dark Corner

Filii smiles at the question.
    We are looking for the malicious, evil, and nefarious. But again, if you don't want to join an org, I have work I would be glad to hire you for. I need another org infiltrated.
    Filii watches her eyes, looking for signs of interest, or signs that she could be lying about anything she says.
    Avatar made by Bradakhan| Other avatars.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by TFT on quicktopic
    Oh no, Duck999 is a mason.

How can I possibly suspect you of being a wolf now? :(

:P
    Quote Originally Posted by Legato Endless View Post
    Duck: Mason. A really shifty mason, but a confirmed role nonetheless.

Slii: Slii is town. He looks better than Duck even with that mason claim.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

Salmagundi Station - Dark Corner

Carmen scoffs. What a ludicrous profession of intent.
    "What organization?"
    She seems amused. How adorable Filii is, playing at intrigue.

[Wreck]

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    The ship will choose to land in the docking bay, since it at least is designed for it... Though the pilot makes a note of the bridge; if the route is blocked from here, that may prove a better version.

After landing, three figures descend the access ramp from the airlock. One is humanoid, wearing a dark blue space-suit with a clear transparisteel visor, revealing the delicate and attractive blue-skinned face of a female Omwati. Strapped over the space-suit is a bandoleer with a blaster pistol, hand-held vibro-axe and various other tools and pieces of equipment in the pockets, and she pulls a metal hand-cart with four wheels. Following her are a pair of mismatched droids; originally B1 Battle Droids, they've been repaired and maintained with spares from several other droids, then painted with a digital camouflage pattern; one purple and one yellow. Each carries a blaster rifle, though they are of different designs. "Broken, Scrap, stay here. Guard the ship."
    "Roger roger."

The Omwati pilot is looking at the landing bay for anything that may seem useful, valuable or interesting; since it is a docking bay, she is hoping for spare parts, tools or even a small ship.
    Such kind names. Poor little droids.
    The hangar is devoid of small ships. Every one that it once held was taken, or destroyed. Tools, on the other hand, they have in abundance. Wrenches, hammers, laser welders, tiny force-field projectors, clamps, programmers, hoses, funnels, saws, grips. Everything that was stored away correctly at the time.
    Bright lights overhead fail to come on, but simple mechanical latches and loops are all that secure the tools.
    Something within the ship is projecting a consistent 'down' field through the whole area. Gravity!

Three heavy doors lead out of the hangar, the central one much larger than the others. There is no obvious way to open them from in here.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #34
    Orc in the Playground

[Salmagundi Station]

A transmission is sent to...well I assume there's some contact info for the station's administration.

Quote Originally Posted by Transmitted Message
    Given the growing number of spaceports in the Nexus, and the connection to your station from the Inside Skyway, which also happens to be home to the Union military's headquarters, it should come as no surprise to you that we wish to have a discussion on matters of international law and security.

We formally request that you reply with a suitable meeting time and location.
    And of course, it is marked as coming from the Union's diplomatic office. Oh boy, international (?) politics. How exciting.
    Spoiler
    Show

by Happyturtle and Ashen Lilies

FFR Links:

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

[Kyrian's Fury]

The command ship of the Vulpine Empire Expeditionary force to the Town: an anachronism cut off both in time and in place. Named after a formerly well-known demigod and force to be reckoned with, now barely even a memory...

Back in orbit, and trying to remain as inconspicuous as a distinctly StarCraft universe hammer-head battle cruiser can hope to be, it quietly monitors what it can.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Salmagundi Station-Dark Corner

Filii smiles. Her scoff and question means she hasn't caught on. And he thought he had made it rather obvious.
    I work for the Association of the Malicious, Evil, and Nefarious, hence my search for people who fit those character traits. However, if you don't want to join, I have work for you infiltrating VIGIL. We need information on where there are blind spots that we, AMEN, can make a move. Also, what are they doing now, what do they know about AMEN. Think you could help with this?
    Last edited by Duck999; 2015-03-01 at 02:52 PM.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Salmagundi Station - Cantina]

This place has to have a cantina, right? What good sci-fi space port wouldn't have a cantina?

A really lousy one, that's what kind.

And this station isn't even sort of lousy!

All the usual suspects are here, drinking, eating, setting up shady deals, fighting, shooting first and then apologizing about the mess. Standard business. Humans, droids, cyborgs, and aliens of pretty much every sort imaginable. There's even a sapient coral colony over there chugging down a plankton slurry. Man, aliens sure are weird, aren't they?

Cantinas are, after all, the taverns of space.

And what's the most important thing one can find in a tavern?

Adventurers looking to form a party!

In this case, the person looking to do the hiring is none other than Neon Nova, a cyborg equestrian who totally isn't a Robot Unicorn Attack reference. Pay no attention to that music she's listening to. Her whole body is clad in skin tight chromed armor that moves like skin more so than metal and a mane and tail that's apparently made of fiber-optic strands to give it a nifty rainbow color-changing effect. At the moment her face plate is peeled back, giving a good view of her pale blue-white synthetic coat.

And sitting next to her?

A sign which reads:
    Quote Originally Posted by Sign
    Looking for a few good adventurers for an expedition.
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

8. - Top - End - #38

[Salmagundi Station - Dark Corner]

Carmen laughs, shaking her head.
    "Of course I can help you. The question is 'what's in it for me?'"
    So far she has heard little to recommend the work. That's what one gets for trying to speak with mortals.
    Wasted time.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darkcomet View Post
    [Salmagundi Station]

A transmission is sent to...well I assume there's some contact info for the station's administration.

And of course, it is marked as coming from the Union's diplomatic office. Oh boy, international (?) politics. How exciting.
    After a bit, a reply comes back, coding a meeting place on the station and a reasonable time.

A proper meeting will do well, hope to be independent but cooperative.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Salmagundi Station-A Dark Corner.

Filii's face becomes serious.
    That is up to you. What is it you want as payment? There will, of course, be the resulting attacks of AMEN, and I know some take joy in the pain of others. I don't know if you are one of those people. If you aren't, tell me what you do want.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41

Carmen laughs in his face and turns to walk away.
    "If you don't already know, you couldn't have anything I want. Kid, you aren't cut out for this. Maybe you could open up a sandwich shop. That seems more your speed."
    If not quickly interrupted, she speeds down the corridor in a flash of blue.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2015-03-01 at 04:11 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Salmagundi Station-Dark Corner.

Filii rises, his cane turning into a quarter staff. He attempts to hit Carmen in such a manner that she gets knocked into the closed shop beside them, except it is suddenly open, revealing a bar.

((@Rebonack: I was going to open a cantina/space bar eventually.))
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Halfling in the Playground

Salmagundi Station - Cantina

And what better place to make a spot of cash than in a party of adventurers? Assuming you survive, of course.

The tall, well built Mandalorian in his black armor strides into the hall of debauchery. This is the first time he's gone out without his helmet since arriving here, so take careful note.
    Kote Atin has dark hair, it's difficult to tell if it's actually black, or just the color of moist soil. His eyes, however, are a distinctly light brown, making them stand out against his black armor and dark hair.

His eyes take one sweep of the place and assesses any potential threats, exit plans, or potential money opportunities. Unsurprisingly, he spots the chrome and rainbow pony and makes his way over to her.

He raps his knuckles against the table, making sure he has her attention.

Need a sniper or a swordsman?
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Zane and Aric by Recaiden. Aric Kat by Hatter.

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: FFRP Newbie Links
    Show

14. - Top - End - #44

IT'S A BAR FIGHT!

Carmen bounces into the suddenly open area and its lights.
    In very short order she has thrown an entire table of drinks, foods, the table, every chair, and three surprised patrons back at where Filli was standing.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Salmagundi Station-Dark Corner-Bar Fight

What you don't know is that Filii works at this bar. He knows every nook and cranny... Not that there are many. It is not a very good place for hiding.
    Filii's quarterstaff turns into a large shield, which he kneels behind. However, the force of the blast knocks him backwards onto his back. He springs to his feet, but is dazed. He lunges to the side, pushing another patron out of their chair and kicking the table onto it's side. He then sends it rolling towards Carmen while he stays behind it, using it as a small shield as he approaches, his shield now a quarterstaff once more.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Orc in the Playground

Wreck

Well, the most exotic and unusual tools will be placed into the cart. Especially the force-field generators; if she can figure out how they work, she might be able to make the one she has in her bandoleer use less power so it can be on for longer. Speaking of, she takes a small orb out of her bandoleer; it's shiny and chrome, about the size of a tennis ball with clearly delineated halves. She twists, and lightly tosses it upwards, where it stops and hangs, emitting a pale blue radiance. The orb is keyed to follow a tiny beacon she has in her bandoleer.

Once she has the tools in her cart, she walks to the largest door, and takes out another device, a scanner. First task is to determine the door's composition and thickness, then the same information about the wall on either side. When she knows that, she can figure out how to bypass it.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

17. - Top - End - #47

What you don't know is how much I know. He wouldn't have thrown her into the bar if he hadn't known about it. Luckily no one seems to be trying to hide.
    Carmen grabs the shield-table as it rolls close and casually rips it in half, tossing two semi-circular pieces aside. It seems she lost her umbrella with the first hit. Oh, there it is, lying in the hallway.
    She waits for Filii to close in, aiming to grab his quarterstaff and wrest it from his grasp as soon as it's in reach.

[Wreck - Landing Bay]

The door and wall are each three inches of metal, non-rusting, with a small gap in the center. I imagine there's titanium and nickel involved, but my material science is quite out of date.
    The weak point would probably be the rubbery plastic seal around the door, or the hinges on the far side, if one has a way to get to them.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

Wreck- Landing Bay

Nodding at her findings, the Omwati reaches into another pocket, taking out a short-ranged cutting laser. She'll try to go around the door-seal, and push the door open once that's done. If there's a locking mechanism, that'll be better- slice through that, and suddenly there's nothing holding it cut.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Salmagundi Station-A Dark Corner-Bar Fight

She can grab the quarterstaff, sure, but it is not effective. His quarterstaff slowly morphs into a black coated sword, probably cutting into Carmen's hands. However, it looks like there are two copies of the sword. The only way to tell which is the real sword is that it is cutting into her hand from her grip on it.
    ((His weapon can transform. I actually won this particular sword in a fight against a displacer beast in the hunting grounds a while ago.))
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50

Salmagundi Station-A Dark Corner-Bar Fight

Quote Originally Posted by Duck999 View Post
    She can grab the quarterstaff, sure, but it is not effective. His quarterstaff slowly morphs into a black coated sword, probably cutting into Carmen's hands. However, it looks like there are two copies of the sword. The only way to tell which is the real sword is that it is cutting into her hand from her grip on it.
    ((His weapon can transform. I actually won this particular sword in a fight against a displacer beast in the hunting grounds a while ago.))
    ((You aren't mistaking a chaither for a dirlagraun, are you? Neat thing.))

The illusionary blade is probably quite helpful for catching people off-guard. But it's less clearly beneficial when the blade is already caught in one place. Carmen's eyes open a bit, and she releases the blade, whereupon one can see the blood flow back into her vessels and the cut seal itself up over the course of a second.
    "A fine toy you have."
    She shoots a glance to the bartender- "He'll pay for the table." -and starts strolling out of the bar. The other patrons have shown a regrettable disinterest in becoming involved.

Wreck- Landing Bay

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Nodding at her findings, the Omwati reaches into another pocket, taking out a short-ranged cutting laser. She'll try to go around the door-seal, and push the door open once that's done. If there's a locking mechanism, that'll be better- slice through that, and suddenly there's nothing holding it cut.
    Takes a little while, but the door seal is burnt through and the door swings open, clanging against the wall on the hallway.
    The hall on the other side is...nice. The metal walls have a polished look, and the floor is carpeted with velvet. A fabulous off-color oil painting of a nebula covers a huge portion of the wall, there are little carvings along what would be the baseboard of sea-ships and islands and tropical scenes. A number of lamps sit unpowered and dark in the join between wall and ceiling. This posh interior is briefly interrupted just a few feet away, where rail lines leading from the large door head towards the aft central portion of the ship. Traffic barriers that pose no actual obstacle are extended over the hallway.
    Going down to the right past that would presumably lead to the engine somewhere.
    Left, the hallway continues say a hundred yards, before branching. Much sooner several interior doors, lighter and friendlier, though still possibly airtight, lead to somewhere. Each is labelled with a string of numbers and geometrically arranged dots. A single door has pale blue light shining from the window set above it.
    There's also a couple of hatches in the ceiling and one place where a large vent takes the slot of a lamp.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Salmagundi Station-Not really a dark corner anymore fight

It is just too bad that Filii wants help... and likes bar fights.
    Wait!
    He walks towards Carmen, attempting to drape an arm around her shoulders like an old friend.
    I can give you what you want. Blood? I can get you it. The finest kind too. It just won't be mine.
    Carmen seems like a very vampiric character. Cilii's arm is loose, and he will let Carmen walk away if she wants. He has had his fun of bar fights for the day, and he is now giving up on getting help from Carmen.
    Last edited by Duck999; 2015-03-04 at 05:12 PM.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52

Salmagundi Station - A dark bar

Carmen spins and ducks away. Filii may not be harmful, but he certainly isn't pleasant.
    "Interesting offer, but a bit late."
    She takes a step back into the hall and looks back at the AMEN recruiter with a sad expression. Then she keeps leaving, no more words.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

Wreck- Landing Bay

Right would provide access to the engines, and stripping that would provide access to lots of high-value loot. But the Omwati doesn't have the tools for dismantling that kind of heavy machinery, nor the space aboard her small shuttle to hold everything. Left, though, seems to lead to crew or passenger accommodation, which may provide lots of small, valuable items. So that's the direction she'll take.

But first, on civilised worlds, art sells quite well- especially if the artist is quite well-known, or the scene is particularly stunning. She'll look the painting over, sizing it up. She'll try to take it down, out of its frame, and roll it up so she can transport it easily in her cart. It's not a certain sale, unlike the tools she's gathered, but it could be a lot of credits. Removing the baseboard would be too much effort for now- she can always come back for it.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Salmagundi Station-The bar isn't that dark. It has lights.

Filii frowns. Well, at least he got in that exciting bar fight. He had never fought a self healing vampire or something before.
    Just follow me if you ever change your mind. I do work here, I shouldn't be too hard to find.
    He leaps over the bar, but does not land on the ground. He falls straight through the floor, disappearing from the station, but not anywhere to be seen in space.

((And of course reappearing at some point to man the bar.))
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

[Wreck]

If anyone cares they might notice a minor explosion coming from one of the less used docking bays. Well, not so minor, but contained, at least; someone, to judge by what the station's sensors report, was insane enough to convert an old escape pod to fire everything in it at once, in order to use it as a very crude rocket to get... Somewhere. Where it's actually going isn't likely to be clear to the station, though.

However, if one could see the wreck, it'd be fairly clear it's aimed just about straight at it; not for anywhere it can actually get inside, at least not on purpose, but to hit the vessel itself, at least - the occupant is more concerned with being able to get out and find an entrance than with trying to somehow dock their rocket-bullet of a spacecraft.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

Salmagundi Station: Sightseeing

"I'm pretty sure this wasn't always here," Kate says to herself as she looks out the window.

She's not complaining. Where she comes from, the space stations weren't anywhere near so accessible. Right now she's standing in one of the clearer, cleaner, and prettier parts of the large station; she's looking out over the round shape of the Nexus.

She half-expected it to be a flat plain.

((Interaction Wanted!))

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

"It's pretty, isn't it?" says a voice beside her. Turning to look, Kate will see a large black griffin sitting down on his haunches. He appears to be waiting for something, but has time to chat while doing so.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kate jumps a little, but after seeing who it is calms down quickly. "Yeah, I've seen it once before. Not this exact view, there was a different planet, but yes. Kinda hard to think that someone could get used to this, huh?"

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Nick nods. "Yeah, it's awfully weird. Where I'm from we barely had planes up and running, though obviously by now I'm gotten used to being at above-average heights. " he says with a chuckle, shuffling his wings.
    "How have you been holding up, Miss? As it turns out it wasn't actually my girlfriend who messed with your head back in the fall, but it was an exact copy so the responsibility is still there. I see you kept the metal skin." he says amiably. She might recognize the Union officer, though he was only a griffin for a bit of the time she met him last.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

There is a moment of confusion but then Kate remembers. "Oh! Yeah, you were the, uh, guy, and-yeah. Yeah, there wasn't a lot of reason to get rid of it after I made sure it was safe. And it's resistant to dispels, too, so it's easier to just go with it."