New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Spaceside

1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Spaceside

Salmagundi Station

Nick nods. "That's good. I'd have felt terrible if my girlfriend did anything awful to someone. So far her record is near-perfect, though you did look pretty bad when you went home in the squad car. So I'm glad it wasn't a huge deal. Just here seeing the sights?" he asks.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

Salmagundi Station

"Yeah! It's nice that this is available now. I think that it can open up a lot of opportunities for a lot of people, you know?" She says, "You?"

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Salmagundi Station

"I'm here for the same, but I'm with my little brother. He's in the bathroom." says the griffin, gesturing to a marked door about five feet away. Presently, a little orange oriental dragon with wings and wearing a blue leather jacket and goggles not incredibly unlike Fortuna waddles out and sits down next to Nick.
    "I'm back. Meet someone you know?" says the dragon, sounding about eight.
    "I did. Did you wash your paws?" asks Nick, who receives a confident nod as an answer.

"I'm afraid I never did get your name, Miss. Nick's mine. And...also his. Err, that's a long story." he says awkwardly.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

Salmagundi Station

"Kate, and I understand perfectly." Long stories, needlessly complicated and embarrassing. No need to inquire.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Salmagundi Station

Nick nods. "Well, good. Have you been here long enough to know anything interesting here? We only came here because we knew it was space-y." he says.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

Salmagundi Station

"Oh, you mean up here? Not really. I've heard about stores where you can buy modern technology... that would be, future tech for most people, but there's places you can get it back planet-side and likely cheaper. Unless you want some really rare or specialty stuff? I've seen a few stores to that effect, but there would be better choices for a souvenir," Kate says.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Salmagundi Station

"Oh." says Nick. "Well, I guess the place is really just good to say we were there, and the cool view out the window then. Oh, well."
    "It's a pretty good view, though." says little Nick.
    "Yeah, it is."

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

Salmagundi Station

"It really is."

As Kate looks outside, a bulbous, medium-size ship floats past. As it approaches the dock, it breaks into bipedal shapes, some moving large boxes, which swarm toward an airlock.

"...still the Nexus, though."

9. - Top - End - #69
    Firbolg in the Playground

Wreck- Landing Bay
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Right would provide access to the engines, and stripping that would provide access to lots of high-value loot. But the Omwati doesn't have the tools for dismantling that kind of heavy machinery, nor the space aboard her small shuttle to hold everything. Left, though, seems to lead to crew or passenger accommodation, which may provide lots of small, valuable items. So that's the direction she'll take.

But first, on civilised worlds, art sells quite well- especially if the artist is quite well-known, or the scene is particularly stunning. She'll look the painting over, sizing it up. She'll try to take it down, out of its frame, and roll it up so she can transport it easily in her cart. It's not a certain sale, unlike the tools she's gathered, but it could be a lot of credits. Removing the baseboard would be too much effort for now- she can always come back for it.
    Art theft, away! There's a little impossible-to-read signature in the bottom left corner. Can't say she'd have heard of them.
    You have to be careful with these things, but it's possible to get the painting down and rolled up for transport. The artist would cringe at the tiny cracks that's bound to create, but all in all very little damage is done.

Down the hall towards crew areas. This room over here appears to be a guest room, dusty. This one here is a closet full of cleaning supplies. Here's another residential room, where something has seriously wrecked up the place. The pseudo-wood wardrobe is smashed to bits, the bedding torn to shreds, the light fixtures shattered, wiring and piping ripped from the walls. The Omwati scavenger might notice the gleam of a gold-ornamented ring almost buried in torn cloth.

The door with the light shining over it...you don't want to go in there. She'll get that idea very clearly as she looks at it, and if she bothers to scan it, notice the door has odd concentrations of salt and iron, and has a layer of lead on the other side...

[Wreck - Impact Site]
    Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    If anyone cares they might notice a minor explosion coming from one of the less used docking bays. Well, not so minor, but contained, at least; someone, to judge by what the station's sensors report, was insane enough to convert an old escape pod to fire everything in it at once, in order to use it as a very crude rocket to get... Somewhere. Where it's actually going isn't likely to be clear to the station, though.

However, if one could see the wreck, it'd be fairly clear it's aimed just about straight at it; not for anywhere it can actually get inside, at least not on purpose, but to hit the vessel itself, at least - the occupant is more concerned with being able to get out and find an entrance than with trying to somehow dock their rocket-bullet of a spacecraft.
    Lucky trajectory, or very well aimed.
    Now, if the pod had managed to aim for the functional landing bay, it could have had a nice assisted landing.
    As it is, the rocket-bullet should find itself tumbling into the middle gash on the ruined side of the wreck, swerving off a force-field over the edge of the crack, and bouncing several hundred feet down a wide service shaft before coming to a jarring stop against something that breaks with a clinking sound.

If the occupant has a way to even see, it's very dark outside; this section seems to be without power. The best you can do is a few glints of starlight at the far end of the tunnel. Which was, you know, open to the vacuum. Don't bet on breathable air right outside the jury-rigged space life raft. And if they listen very carefully, and their head isn't ringing from the crash, they might hear...nothing. But they could feel vibrations consistent with footsteps coming up through the...floor? There is a floor, at least. Very clear up and down. Don't really correspond with how they landed, but it's better than nothing.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

Wreck- Art Theft

She'll take anything unusual in the guest room, or anything that looks unusual. She catches the glimpse in the shredded room and heads over to take the ring. She doesn't check for booby traps along the way; she's seen no evidence that what happened here is still here, so isn't being as cautious as she would be in other circumstances. The ring won't go in the cart; that shall be placed in a pouch of her bandoleer.

She does scan the door, and after finding the lead she'll check for radiation leaks. Her suit's designed to defend against cosmic radiation, so she isn't worried about the results but still won't go through the door if it finds anything.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

[Salmagundi Station - Official Meeting]

...wherever that is.

The Vice Commander of the Union is present, having come apparently alone, and beamed in right on schedule. Or as close to it as possible, teleport interference being a popular security measure to avoid teleport bombs and such. Not much else to say here, other than that she waits.

<The more things change. Heh.>
    Spoiler
    Show

by Happyturtle and Ashen Lilies

FFR Links:

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

Salmagundi Station - Official Meeting

There are transporter pads that allow proper protocols. She's shown to a meeting room where a tried-looking ithorian sits.

"Sorry, things are a bit chaotic around here, as a matter of everyday fact. What would you like to discuss?"

13. - Top - End - #73
    Orc in the Playground

<Proper transporter pads! I haven't seen one of those in ages.>

N'alae takes a seat and begins. "I was hoping to discuss matters of legal extradition. This station is one of the more popular destinations from Inside spaceports, and escaping into space is something that would appeal to a lot of criminals. Or, perhaps worse, Skysider pirates and their ilk could use it as a midway point to reach Inside. I'm certain you can see the problem here, and I seriously doubt you want your station to become a haven for such people." She leaves it there for now, waiting to hear the ithorian's thoughts on the matter.
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

"True. We also wish to maintain our independence. While we don't want to harbor villains, especially not on purpose, we don't want to be a part of your union, either. We do want to work with you, but station management is adamant on being independent," The ithorian explains.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

"Don't take this as us trying to pressure you into joining the Union, though our doors will remain open. Our goal is an extradition treaty and nothing more." Though it's not like the Union has much to offer them, given the military's lack of a significant space force. Regardless, N'alae isn't going to close the option, since they'd probably help to remedy that. "In exchange, the same extradition terms will be offered to you."
    Spoiler
    Show

FFR Links:

16. - Top - End - #76

[Wreck - Art Theft]

The guest room is as usual as they come. Except, perhaps, for the compass.
    Luckily she encounters no traps of any sort. She's right that whatever crippled the ship is no longer here.

The shielded door has occasional bursts of radioactivity. Safest to leave it alone and choose one of the massive, intricately carved pseudo-wooden doors sealing the junction of the hallway.
    Do these people not believe in labels and clear layouts?
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

17. - Top - End - #77
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Hmm, that sounds reasonable. Let's go over details..."

And the details are boring, as long as they're reasonable they'll be agreed to.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Deep View Post
    Salmagundi Station

"It really is."

As Kate looks outside, a bulbous, medium-size ship floats past. As it approaches the dock, it breaks into bipedal shapes, some moving large boxes, which swarm toward an airlock.

"...still the Nexus, though."
    Nick nods while his younger self oooooh's.
    "Yeah. Think there's anything more interesting on the other parts of the station? Going in groups is generally safer, even if this place does have good security. Besides, Nick and I don't have pockets to pick!" he says merrily.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

Salmagundi Station

"Truthfully, this entire station seems poorly organized. I saw some kids with skateboards going somewhere? And one group was talking about going swimming? We could probably poke around a bit," Kate says, "If we don't find anything quickly I can look it up on my laptop..."

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Salmagundi Station

Nick shakes his head with a chuckle.
    "Aw, but looking it up is so much less fun! Where's your sense of adventure? Finding everything yourself is much more entertaining, isn't it, Nick?" says the officer. His "brother" nods in response.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

Salmagundi Station

"I meant if we can't get find something easily," Kate clarifies, "There's a certain point where you want to stop wandering and start doing something else, and if we get there I can help."

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

Wreck- Art Thief

The compass will be left, unless it's either really high-end or an antique. A standard modern compass would be available on most worlds, so there's little point in actually bothering with it. The radioactive door is given a wide berth. Whatever's behind there may be valuable- but it's too dangerous for what she has available.

The Omwati will try the doors, taking out her cutting laser if necessary. She'll not care about damaging them, because they're too bulky for her to move easily and not valuable enough (being pseudo-wood) to justify the expense in trying to salvage it.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Salmagundi Station

"Ah, alright then. Either way, if you'd like, feel free to lead the way." he says, waving a claw.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

Salmagundi Station

Kate blinks, a little confused. "Well, I don't see how me leading will change anything, but okay." she then chooses a basically random path and goes that way.

25. - Top - End - #85

[Wreck - Door-ruining Art Thief]

The left door is sealed tight, with a lock and something barring it/holding it on the other side. The right door however, swings open easily.

Behind it is a dusty, less well-maintained area. What appears to be a little janitorial robot is lying deactivated on its side. The lights are physically broken, and the walls are perforated with small spikes, a number of which are also embedded in the back of the door.
    Scanning the spikes should indicate that they are composed of frozen water, stone, and the physical embodiment of improvisational comedy.

There's a large, heavy hatch in the floor up ahead, with the carpet splitting to flow around it. Probably difficult to open without power supplied to its mechanisms, but not impossible.
    Beyond it is an alcove with three stools in front of a small bar. There is a pile of bones underneath them, which inspection would reveal
    Spoiler
    Show
    to be human. They form one complete set, though the skull is missing.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

26. - Top - End - #86
    Orc in the Playground

Wreck- Art Thief

Well, creepy bones are only investigated so figure out how they became just bones. Without atmosphere, there's theoretically nothing around to cause decomposition, so whatever did it is a worry.

The spikes are of little immediate interest, so she won't bother scanning them. She will make a mental note to look out for some form of spike-shooting gun, as it would be unusual and therefore valuable. The Omwati ignores the stools, but will scoop up the robot and any detached parts she can find. Maybe she can fix it up and put it to work on her shuttle, which is how she found Broken and Scrap. After that, she'll go to the hatch and use another little device to figure out how much energy the mechanism would need to open, though she doubts it's low enough for her little hand-held generator.

27. - Top - End - #87

[Wreck - Art Thief]

Something was biting at these bones, stripped them clean.
    The robot and a detached rotary broom/brush is scooped up.

The hatch requires a considerable amount of power, on the order of a moderately large combustion engine, say, or a heavy weighted pulley system.

Past the hatch and the bar is an interior door, with red-yellow striping and a warning sign depicting a lightning bolt and a crushed hand. However, it will open easily enough, revealing a wide open place filled with conveyor belts and looming machines and a constant spray of sparks from a misaligned wheel over by the wall.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground

Wreck- Art Thief

Combustion engine-level power she doesn't have in her pocket. So she'll see about finding the janitor robot's power supply and seeing if it is sufficient, as she makes a mental note to buy a power droid for the next wreck she explores. If it isn't, she'll use her cutter to try and cut through it.

29. - Top - End - #89

[Wreck - Art Thief]

The robot janitor would probably be able to do it if its power cell hadn't been removed from it already. Guess that's most of why it's sitting there not moving.
    The cutter does make slow progress though, eventually creating an opening to a cavernous hold, with a ladder a few feet away next to what should be a lift/elevator sort of thing. Down below, a light will just reveal a maze of containers of all shapes, sizes, and descriptions.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

Wreck- Art Thief

It is at this point that I realise I misunderstood your last post. Never mind, that way is a bit too risky for the Omwati to explore. Perhaps if she were not burdened by her space-suit and hand cart.

She'll leave the hand cart where it is, locking its wheels in place. Ladders are too awkward to carry it down, and she doubts the lift is working. She'll go down the ladder cautiously, and then start investigating the containers- especially the smaller ones, which can be carried back up the ladder easily.