New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Spaceside

1. - Top - End - #211
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Spaceside

Wreck- Opportunistic Scavenger

"Lots of refugees find their way here. Space isn't always a nice place to be; there's always somebody running from something, and they find their way here." The battledroids raise their blasters at Zwi and her companions, but don't fire. "Stand down, they're friendly. That's Broken, and that's Scrap. I found them on a wrecked ship in an asteroid belt. I found ten, actually, but could only build two from what was left." She points at each robot to name them.

Salmagundi Biodeck- Half an Hour Later

Istubael and his gene-constructs have managed to claim a small cabin in that time. Several buds of sponge have been planted in the floor, and have grown large enough to provide comfortable seating, but besides that the room is barren. The furred servant is applying multcoloured bioluminescent algae to part of the wall, forming a mural which will grow and adapt as it matures, and the green one is assembling some flatpack wooden furniture. Istubael traded it for another egg.

When the Singer and the humans arrive, Istubael stands from where he sits, crosslegged on a sponge-sphere.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

2. - Top - End - #212
    Orc in the Playground

[Salmagundi Space Station - Docks]

The twins open their mouth to answer in unison when Riss decides they should go anyway.

Still, they share their thoughts.
    "The former."
    "Definitely the former."

Then they turn to Akina.
    "We should know what constitutes a node when we get Inside."
    "Assuming what we found is a node, brother."
    "Indeed, sister."

And it's off to inside! (Send link, please.)

3. - Top - End - #213
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Wreck - Opportunistic Scavenger]

"I guess you can add some more refugees to any list."
    The group of catpeople raise their hands in recognition to the droids.
    "Oh, so you are of a civilized people. Good to see."

"Do you think you could take one or more of us with you when you depart? To see this Nexus, and find help."

[Salmagundi Biodeck - Half an Hour Later]

The Singer seems still unnerved by the biodeck, but the pair of humans seem calm and simply curious. At the sight of the furniture, even she lightens up.
    "A place to stay already? Would you like us to help with-well, perhaps not now. We've a place for the surgery available, one level up on this deck-cluster."
    The singer waves him to follow.
    The man who's to get the operation, on the other hand, is watching the mural's application.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

4. - Top - End - #214
    Orc in the Playground

Wreck- Opportunistic Scavenger

"She's not a passenger boat, she's a scavenger's shuttle. She's cramped, full of stuff I haven't sold yet, not the most luxurious ship in space. If you're willing to accept that, I'll take you. Five should fit, maybe six, if you sleep in shifts. Do you want to bring friends, or abscond alone?" Zwi opens the shuttle's loading ramp, and indeed it is very full, though mostly filled with smaller objects that are easily moved.

5. - Top - End - #215

[Wreck - Opportunistic Passenger Shuttle]

The lead guardswoman shakes her head.
    "We're not even all going. In case the rest of us don't get off, you three go. I'm not needed. For when we do, we'll meet at the nadir-point at 10-1 megasecond cycles, you rolling forward."
    The boy Norticio shakes his head.
    "She said we could fit six. That's all of us and an Elder. Much better group to be stranded. Take Kom, go back to Sanghearth, tell them what happened-"
    "Get a familiar and an Elder, yes. Great idea. Thank you, Zwi. We don't mind cramped spaces."

Agra grabs the fellow with the spiky clumped fur and races out of the landing bay.
    The other two, pale Norticio and short-furred Vari, they wait.

A few minutes later a slight tremor runs through the deck, and all the lights and devices in the landing bay briefly light up, surging with power.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

6. - Top - End - #216
    Orc in the Playground

Wreck- Opportunistic Passenger Shuttle

"Um, is that a good sign, the power surge? I don't know how your technology works." And either that's a sign of a repaired connection in the power grid bringing another generator on line, or a generator malfunctioning and producing dangerous amounts of energy and liable to explode.

Salmagundi Biodeck

The mural doesn't seem to depict any particular event, individual or pattern, rather being applied somewhat randomly.

"Oh, we're fine at the moment. The furniture is only temporary until I can grow some proper clam-chests. Excellent news on the surgical unit; I'm ready to go now." Istubael stands up and smiles, clapping his hands together.

7. - Top - End - #217

[Wreck - Opportunistic Passenger Shuttle]

Norticio shakes his head. "No. That's the ship's grid, outside of our control."

Vari looks to the entry to the landing bay, and opens a hand, whereupon a flame, about torch-sized, appears in his open palm.
    "The virus is up to something. Maybe just equipment cycling, but the timing is unfortunate..."

Norticio explains. "So on this ship, there's three bands of... 'survivors'. Us, and a team of boarders who were cut off when the jump happened, and the majority of our service and combat robots that were affected by a software weapon and gone out of control. Plus some people who were thrown out and, basically we don't know what's going on nearly as much as we'd like."
    "If we're lucky, it's a repair. If we're less lucky, it's a distributor going supercritical and about to explode. And if we're even less lucky than that, it's an intent to overload this part of the ship and burn something out."

[Salamagundi Biodeck]

The Signer leads them to a medical center on this deck, where things would be at least not disturbing to Istubael, if not familiar. It might not look it at first, but everything is sterile and clean.

I think there's little left here than to have him implant the radio.
    The crewman is trying not to be at all nervous, but that's failing.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

8. - Top - End - #218
    Orc in the Playground

Wreck- 'Passenger' Shuttle

"Well, I'm glad I didn't meet any combat robots. All I went out with is a hand-blaster and some tools." She hopes the others will soon be back; she wants off this vessel now she knows more about it.

Salmagundi Biodeck

The crewman will be sedated with a small snake wrapped around Istubael's forearm and gently laid face-down on the table for the implementation. He should wake up shortly thereafter, with a slight lump in the back of his neck where the organ went in, but to heal the would Istubael introduced hormones and things to stimulate natural healing; no stitches, nor a scar. "It will take a few days for your new radio organ to grow the required connections to your speech centre, but it won't damage your brain in any way. Until that growth is complete, you can't transmit nor receive words, just emotional context."

9. - Top - End - #219
    Dwarf in the Playground

Salgamundi Station-Shipping Deck

Something person-sized streaks toward the station, beelining to an airlock. After a minute, the airlock cylces, and onto the shipping deck steps a woman in pants, a shirt, and a jacket. She takes deep breaths, and her blue hair is tied back in a ponytail. She looks around, a bit confused.

((Open Scene! Interaction Wanted!))

10. - Top - End - #220
    Halfling in the Playground

Salmagundi Station - Shipping Deck

Nearby the woman, a very confused man sits on the floor, looking about curiously with a spear laid across his lap.

He's not dressed for space travel. Much the opposite, in fact, since he appears to be wearing a kilt and tartan, with leather armor underneath the latter. To complete the look, he has a boot knife strapped to his waist and partially covered by a rabbit's fur.
    Truly, he does not belong here, and he knows it.
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Zane and Aric by Recaiden. Aric Kat by Hatter.

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler: FFRP Newbie Links
    Show

11. - Top - End - #221

[Wreck - Refugee Shuttle]

Everything goes dark and quiet and still, ruling out the first option.
    "You didn't know what you were in for. Probably thought there was nothin' alive here, right?"

They wait.
    And wait.
    And -what's that? Nothing.
    And wait.

And there's a hum like Agra's cannon, and the thud of somethings hitting the walls outside the landing bay very fast.

[Salamagundi Biodeck]

Why is there an entire snake? An anaesthetic snake? Why do they need a whole animal that's...zzzzzzz

When he wakes up he's touching gingerly at the back of his neck, hoping the snake isn't still around.
    "Nothing complicated yet, got it."
    "Thanks again."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

12. - Top - End - #222
    Dwarf in the Playground

The woman sees the man, and opens her mouth to ask him a question... when she notices he look confused. That's a bad sign.

Well, there's no one else here.

"Hey, what is this place?"

13. - Top - End - #223

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Deep View Post

The woman sees the man, and opens her mouth to ask him a question... when she notices he look confused. That's a bad sign.

Well, there's no one else here.

"Hey, what is this place?"

The man blinks, looking up at the woman.
    Well, this may be difficult to hear...but I believe we are in the sky, amongst the moon and stars. He speaks with a heavy Irish brogue (which his writer is too lazy to transcribe).

He stands, revealing that he is not quite 6 feet tall, but neither is he a short man. His weapon is 6 feet, but it doesn't seem to rise past his hair.
    I'd like to ask, how do you move at such speeds? My eyes could not track your movements, and my eyes have seen many strange things in their time.
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Show

14. - Top - End - #224
    Orc in the Playground

Wreck- Refugee Shuttle

"They usually are. When a ship this big goes wrong, either everyone dies instantly or it gets repaired." Usually, the ships she visits were destroyed in battle, or accidentally jettisoned their atmosphere, or exploded, or weren't much bigger than her own.

When it gets dark, she turns on the shuttle's lights to illuminate the area, and also gets changed. She's now got a sword with a chain-driven blade at her waist; the scabbard and blade are embossed with a double-headed eagle, and she is loading a power cell into a powerful mercenary-grade blaster rifle. Both Scrap and Broken have swapped as well; Broken to a relatively compact flamethrower and Scrap to a Ripper gun, which shoots circular saw blades that can bounce off walls and around corners; or, on a different setting, explode on impact.

"What is that?" She'd offer her weapons, but she has limited ammo supply and thinks the catpeople have their own.

Salmagundi Biodeck

The snake is where Istubael has had it since the beginning- hidden in a pocket of his robe.

"That is quite alright. If you have any questions or problems, come find me. And don't forget to refer me to your friends."

15. - Top - End - #225

[Wreck - Refugee Shuttle]

"Ships like this are islands. It takes a lot to kill them off, and there's often not anybody to help."

Effective weapons. Good to be armed with. Zwi is right that the catpeople have their own weapons. About the same time, Norticio unslings a spike gun and loads a cartridge of ammunition into it, while Vari materializes another crackling impossible flame.
    "That's a fight. Not good. Beam cannon...two beam cannons, and a swarm drone. At least 4 people."
    "If you wanted to hop in that shuttle and flee. We would understand that."

A spot on the wall near the door glows with heat from the far side. Just a stray hit.

[Salamagundi Biodeck]

The man laughs, stretching after his period of sedation, and nods.
    "I sure will."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

16. - Top - End - #226
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aric Kale View Post

The man blinks, looking up at the woman.
    Well, this may be difficult to hear...but I believe we are in the sky, amongst the moon and stars. He speaks with a heavy Irish brogue (which his writer is too lazy to transcribe).

He stands, revealing that he is not quite 6 feet tall, but neither is he a short man. His weapon is 6 feet, but it doesn't seem to rise past his hair.
    I'd like to ask, how do you move at such speeds? My eyes could not track your movements, and my eyes have seen many strange things in their time.
    "I'm used to space stations," She says casually, "and I just came through that airlock there." She's trying to dodge the second question. This man seems to be having enough trouble as is without pondering space travel.

17. - Top - End - #227

A space station, you say?
    I don't mean to bother...
    he begins, leaning heavily on his spear...but could you explain what that is in layman's terms?

See, I'm from Ireland, and while I've traveled far and wide, I've only ventured around and across, never UP.

He chuckles, Oh, and I'm Faolan*, by the way, Faolan the Wanderer.
    Faolan seems to let his previous question slip away. Maybe he forgot, or maybe he doesn't want to pry.

*Pronounced: Fway-lawn
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Show

18. - Top - End - #228
    Dwarf in the Playground

How do you explain an orbital habitable location to someone like this? Especially one so big? "It's... a big building in space. I'm Genli." (Jen-lee.) She looks around a bit. "Have you, by chance, come across any time travel in your wanderings?" she asks, in that nervous trying-to-be-casual kind of way.

19. - Top - End - #229

How do you explain an orbital habitable location to someone like this? Especially one so big? "It's... a big building in space. I'm Genli." (Jen-lee.) She looks around a bit. "Have you, by chance, come across any time travel in your wanderings?" she asks, in that nervous trying-to-be-casual kind of way.

Faolan scratches his scraggly beard. Oh.
    I suppose, by your question, that I must have traveled through time, though I must say I would've assumed that to be impossible if you had asked me yesterday.

He steps forward, bowing slightly. Genli, you said? There's no need to be cautious. I don't bear any ill will towards you.
    Last edited by Aric Kale; 2015-05-26 at 10:17 PM.
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Show

20. - Top - End - #230
    Dwarf in the Playground

"No, no, it's not you, just that... I hate time travel." she sighs. "Hey, let's see if we can find a way to get you back to the ground. Space isn't for everyone, you know."

21. - Top - End - #231

Faolan chuckles, Ah, I can't say I share the sentiment, since I have no experience in the matter.

As for your suggestion, I agree wholeheartedly. Space sounds awfully difficult to travel when you don't know where you're going...
    And I never do.

I'm just the unlucky Wanderer, never arriving at his destination.

He doesn't seem too upset with his predicament. Perhaps the reality of the situation hasn't quite struck him yet?
    That, or it truly takes a lot to faze him.
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Show

22. - Top - End - #232
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Let's look around a bit. Most of these have a shuttle schedule or something like that," Genli says, "Should be easy enough to find."

23. - Top - End - #233

Sounds like a reasonable enough plan.
    They send ferries from earth to space?

So people have found ways to treat air like water?

Faolan will go wherever Genli leads them, since he has no idea where anything is.
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Show

24. - Top - End - #234
    Dwarf in the Playground

No, space travel has to involve three dimensions, defenses from both extreme cold and radiation, micrometeors, and provisions besides. It's like comparing apples and drop bears. "It's more complex than that, but yes. How did you get up here? Do you remember?"

25. - Top - End - #235

No, space travel has to involve three dimensions, defenses from both extreme cold and radiation, micrometeors, and provisions besides. It's like comparing apples and drop bears. "It's more complex than that, but yes. How did you get up here? Do you remember?"

Faolan scrunches his face in concentration as he thinks.
    There was a bright light. Blinding, in fact.
    Then someone hit me in the back of the head and I woke up here.

I recall being in a forest...

Granted, that was in the hunting grounds, so you might not want to drop him off there.
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Show

26. - Top - End - #236
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Weird. Why would anyone do that? It doesn't make sense. You haven't noticed anything odd sense then?" Sinister abductions onto a public space station don't make much sense.

27. - Top - End - #237

"Weird. Why would anyone do that? It doesn't make sense. You haven't noticed anything odd sense then?" Sinister abductions onto a public space station don't make much sense.

To be perfectly honest, when my boots touched a metal floor, I realized that I was completely lost, and decided to wait until someone crossed my path, or until hunger set in.

I don't mind the unknown, but this...
    he gestures with his free hand.
    This is a bit much, even for me.

So, no, I haven't sensed anything more unusual than the space station that I'm stuck on, but if I feel anything, I'll let you know.
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Show

28. - Top - End - #238
    Orc in the Playground

Exclamation Re: Spaceside

Wreck- Passenger Shuttle

"I could leave now. But I don't want to go whilst I can still save people. So, I'm staying until you're ready to go." She sets her blaster rifle down and pulls on a kevlar breastplate decorated with a white-and-grey winter camouflage scheme. She hasn't turned on her shuttle's shields yet, but they don't extend too far from the ship either.

Salmagundi Biodeck

"Now, I need to apply the glowsymbiot, to your shipmate, but that can wait until in my chambers. It is easy to do." Unless that's happened already and I forgot.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Do you know what kind of world is below? Or at least where you came from? How advanced it is?" If the rest of the planet is as backwards as this man, there's going to be trouble.

30. - Top - End - #240

Faolan chuckles.
    We have metal armor...very fine steelwork too.
    I don't wear any, though. Too heavy for my tastes.

Yeah, it's THAT time in history.
    Sigatars
    Spoiler
    Show

Nexus Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Show