New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Pathfinder Mounted Ranger-Archer

Hey Folks, this is my first post.

I am currently a level 4 human ranger in a pathfinder campaign set in Faerun.

My DM has a fair amount of flexibility with sources and I'm looking at the mounted combat style.

Any advice on feat selection on a mounted archer? Should i put any feats in melee or just go mounted and archery? As a ranger am i going down an under-powered path?

Here is what I am currently thinking. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Human: Point Blank Shot
    C1: Precise Shot
    R2: Mounted Combat
    C3: Rapid Shot
    R6: Ride-by Attack
    C6: Power Attack
    C9: Quick Draw
    R10: Trick Riding
    C12: Clustered Shot
    C15: Boon Companion
    R15: Mounted Skirmisher
    C18: Manyshot
    R20: Spirited Charge

Thanks!
    Last edited by austrianoak; 2015-02-26 at 02:39 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Pathfinder Mounted Ranger-Archer

You are missing the most important feat: Deadly Aim. It's as much or more of a no-brainer for ranged builds as Power Attack or Piranha Strike is for melee builds.Take it ASAP. I'd probably pick it up before Precise Shot, but really it depends on whether you are going to have a lot of allies in melee. I'd drop all melee feats in favor of archery feats, unless you expect to end up in melee a lot. If you will have to tank for friends, you will need to weaken your archery focus.
    Where is Mounted Archery? It is very useful if you want to maximize your mobility (which is the entire point of mounted archery). Nothing like taking a double move on your horse and full attacking with your bow.
    Pick the Horse Lord archetype. It will save you a feat (no need for Boon Companion)
    Last edited by BWR; 2015-02-26 at 04:52 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Do rangers have options to grab spells from other lists? I know Paladins have Unsanctioned Knowledge feat...

You want Saddle Surge if you can get it.
    Instant Enemy is good for any ranger, make the boss subject to your highest favored enemy bonus.

EDIT: Ranger bonus feats give early access. You should put this to as much use as you can.

If you do Archery style, get Imp. Precise Shot at level 6 and possibly Point Blank Master at 10.
    If you do Mounted style, get Trick Riding at level 2 and Mounted Skirmisher at 10.

If you plan to focus on mounted archery, might be better to do Archery style, you won't be using Mounted Skirmisher much and if you're fighting Parthian style (constantly galloping away while shooting), your mount won't be getting attacked that much for Trick Riding to apply most rounds.
    Last edited by StreamOfTheSky; 2015-02-26 at 06:15 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

thanks. one of my table-mates also informed me i am using 3.5 and should be using the pathfinder feat progression.

As I understand it I can do a full ranged attack if the mount single moves, but i think the point is to speed things up regardless. Please let me know if I got that rule right.

I'll drop Mounted Skirmisher, add additional ranged feats, and get back to you guys!