New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rome on HBO

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Rome on HBO

I know not everyone gets HBO, but are there any Rome fans out there? Man is this show ever addictive. OK, HBO apparently has the formula for "gripping original series" as they seem to continue to roll them out with the likes of the Sopranos, Deadwood, etc. but Rome is right up my alley.

Anyone else out there digging Octavian's rise to power?
    Pirate Motto:
    Wherever you go,
    There you arrrr.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Rome on HBO

HBO Original Series are pretty much soap operas made with the male demographic in mind. Not that I don't love Deadwood and Rome, they're fun to watch, but they're much more style than substance.
    What a fun, sexy time for you!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I have to admit having studied this part of history I find it great to watch and without the wincing that normally goes allong with such work.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

I've enjoyed it, although I've only seen the first few episodes of season 1. It does seem to do a good job combining the "solid" history of the period with a bit of sense of what life was like during the late Roman Republic for those outside the elite. Admittedly, much of that remains speculation, but I think they've speculated wisely, in the case of the series.
    Trophies and current avi by Lord Herman!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I watched Season One on BBC1 and am waiting for Season Two. I thought it was very good. It wasn't without its inaccuracies, but it didn't do a bad job at all. I also enjoyed the acting, script and costume, which is saying a lot considering the number of bad shows out there. Probably a bit too much nudity, but it doesn't detract from the show.

I really enjoyed Deadwood, Sopranos not so much, but it has some good episodes. Along with Battle Star Galactica, Rome and Deadwood have pretty much been the best things on television over the last few years.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've enjoyed Rome so far, missed the two most recent episodes, but will watch them when I get a chance on HBO On Demand.

My favourite HBO series was their mini-series Band of Brothers, excellent show.
    Robberbaron

Sacrificing Minions: Is there any problem it can't solve? - OotS #192

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sktarq View Post
    I have to admit having studied this part of history I find it great to watch and without the wincing that normally goes allong with such work.
    Howdy outside of ToB sktarq! I know bits of it are quite fictionalized but I've also looked up in the wiki about other parts that seem to provide good drama for the series and discover that they fit historical accounts accurately.

I guess it's not planned to last more than this season, which would be a shame. Have you seen I, Claudius? Based on what I know from that move, it only gets MORE crazy after Augustus.

Season 2 is shaping up quite well in my opinion for those of you who've lost touch.
    Pirate Motto:
    Wherever you go,
    There you arrrr.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

I LOVE Rome. I watch it religiously. It's actually just about the only thing I ever use my tv for. And I'm green with envy over their costuming.

And season two is awesome so far. Is season one out on DVD yet, does anyone know?
    Last edited by Ashildr_the_Bard; 2007-02-14 at 02:19 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

love rome. watch it every week. along with lost, medium, bsg, weeds, sopranos, and deadwood (even though its over with). looking forward to the shield and jericho coming back.
    There are some words which I have known since I was a schoolboy. "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." These words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie -- as a wisdom, and warning. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rome season 1 is on DVD, usually it's $90 and up. Christmas Eve Best Buy ran a 50% off sale on all HBO DVDs, too bad I hadn't seen Rome yet, or I would have bought it.
    Robberbaron

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyHarmless View Post
    Howdy outside of ToB sktarq! I know bits of it are quite fictionalized but I've also looked up in the wiki about other parts that seem to provide good drama for the series and discover that they fit historical accounts accurately.
    Yes some parts are drawn from thin air-but in an educated way and often by filling in gaps in historical records. But because those parts fit the patterns of what is known I don't need to wince-which is really nice. And as for seeing me outside of ToB what did you think I ONLY spend time there ?

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyHarmless View Post
    I guess it's not planned to last more than this season, which would be a shame. Have you seen I, Claudius? Based on what I know from that move, it only gets MORE crazy after Augustus.
    Hehehe-oh it does get ever more nutty

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

well, I've not seen the show yet. But, I hear it's basically just a bunch of gratuitous sex and violence. Seems to me that's the theme with most of the HBO shows. I just hope they don't turn A Song of Ice and Fire into that.
    Grinning Purple Gelatinous Cube avatar courtesy of Lord_Herman
    Attacking Cube courtesy of Sampi
    Current avatar courtesy of Rutskarn

My GiTP stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    DM
    Currently none

Player
    currently none

Creations:
    Fimbulwight

I have my own RB thread right here.

Come and join in the newly minted Fictional Character Contest

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

gratuitous sex and violence! yippie kai yai yay! sign me up.

morality, piety, and modesty in ancient rome was a very different animal from our rather puritanical understanding these things today. i think the show illustrates this brilliantly. if thats all you are seeing then look harder.
    There are some words which I have known since I was a schoolboy. "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." These words were uttered by Judge Aaron Satie -- as a wisdom, and warning. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by purple gelatinous cube o' Doom View Post
    well, I've not seen the show yet. But, I hear it's basically just a bunch of gratuitous sex and violence. Seems to me that's the theme with most of the HBO shows. I just hope they don't turn A Song of Ice and Fire into that.
    But . . . isn't that what it is? Plus some compelling characters (which Rome also has), court intrigue (also in Rome) and some fantasy mixed in (Rome substitutes history instead or historical fantasy)?

Plus, Titus Pullo . . . don't know why, but I'm drawn to his character more than any of the others. Best character arc of the 1st season.
    Let the Yaggle Gakkle-ing begin.
    Beware! Beware!
    All children of the 'ground

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WampaX View Post
    Plus, Titus Pullo . . . don't know why, but I'm drawn to his character more than any of the others. Best character arc of the 1st season.
    Oh yeah! Tell me about it. Survivor of shipwrecks, finder of Caesar's stolen gold, courtesan of Cleopatra, champion gladiator, what's not to love!?!?

I tell you what, you do not want to mess with the combo of Pullo and Vorenus, nosirree. Man, that gladiator battle in Season 1 was excellent. Gratuitous? I didn't think so.

And sktarq, I did not mean to imply that you're never out and away from ToB, more like I am rarely out here in public. Eek! People! *hides*
    Last edited by MostlyHarmless; 2007-02-15 at 04:40 PM.
    Pirate Motto:
    Wherever you go,
    There you arrrr.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd almost bet that they had to downplay the sex and violence, Rome was a very different time period. Titus is an interesting chap, still not seen most recent episodes, but Vorenus was having an interesting start to season two.
    Robberbaron

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

"Rome"? *Meh* "I Claudius" did the Roman grand guignol soap opera first and best.
    Name me one line in "Rome" that matches Livia's immortal: "Don't touch the figs."
    Last edited by bosssmiley; 2007-02-15 at 05:00 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    "Rome"? *Meh* "I Claudius" did the Roman grand guignol soap opera first and best.
    Name me one line in "Rome" that matches Livia's immortal: "Don't touch the figs."
    "THIRTEENTH!"
    ~ Titus Pullo in the arena

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    I can't do it justice verbatim but how about Vorenus:
    "These are my children stolen from me and enslaved, my daughter prostituted and this is the son of my wife and another man. You will treat them with respect and kindness or answer to me."

and how about
    Pullo to Octavian : "Is that you young master ?".
    Octavian: "They call me Caeser now"

In response to Brutus' drunken bragging/rationalizing regarding his part in Caesar's assassination: "Perhaps I should find a fresh corpse to stab, so that I too may become great."

And Servilia: "Address me by my first name again and I will have your tongue nailed to a wagon wheel."

Ah, but the best ones are...alas, too vulgar for this forum.
    Pirate Motto:
    Wherever you go,
    There you arrrr.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Oooohhh, it gets way crazier after Augustus. Lets see, Augustus was the actually the nice ceaser. During his rise to power Augustus was a cut throat but once he was secure in power he turned into almost a nice guy. I might be wrong but I believe Augustus ruled for 50 or 60 years. After him there was Tiberius then Caligula then Claudius then Nero. How’s that for a troop of wacko’s. Even with only lightly touching on things HBO would have 50- 100 seasons right there.

Titus Pullo is the man. he is my favorite character.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johannes_Liechtenauer

It's hard to fight when there is a yard of steel stabbing you in your face.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

That series looks cool, got to get the dvd,s somewhere. There doing a screen adaptation of a song of ice and fire?!?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Halfling in the Playground

ClericGuy

Great show, I personally think it's a good thing they used British actors instead of Americans (no offense!), the accent gives the whole a nice extra touch.

And I think I'm not the only one who thinks Atia is a beautiful woman?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

No fair, I want HBO too

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Started watching it ages ago on BBC2, got about halfway into the series then lost interest.

Not really my type of drama to be honest. Didn't like the characters that much either if I remember correctly.
    That Belkar, as stubborn as he is stone-cold sexy.

Vice-President of the Monster in the Darkness Fanclub.

Grand Phylactery Carrier of the Xykon Fanclub.

Lovely Yunatar by the magnificent Ceika

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

sadly, the totally awesome series rome came to an end tonight. i just finished watching the series finale and im not going to spoil anything, but when titus pollo fought off that alien invasion force with nothing but a gladius and his swinging cod i was impressed.

seriously though, the show rocked and im sad its over.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGirl

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bosssmiley

"THIRTEENTH!"
    ~ Titus Pullo in the arena

"About your father..."

27. - Top - End - #27
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdlet View Post
    "About your father..."
    that was a great way to end it.. had me chuckling to myself. I'm gonna miss Pullo.. and Voreenus Was seriously the best series on television. Some historical inaccuracies, but thats to be expected... it was to be a drama afterall. I highly reccomend to anyone who appreciates historical "fiction" as I do...

PS cant wait til HBO does song of fire and ice! I cant think of a more perfect place for it!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

you know, we only have what Titus Pullo said to Augustus about Lucius Vorenus. he as already keeping certain truths to himself. Vorenus is a tough son of mars.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ray53208 View Post
    you know, we only have what Titus Pullo said to Augustus about Lucius Vorenus. he as already keeping certain truths to himself. Vorenus is a tough son of mars.
    The same thought crossed my mind too. They never actually showed vorenus die.. and he had held on a whole month travelling from Egypt to Rome (not an easy trek by any means, especially considering they had to avoid checkpoints and such). Perhaps they let it hang like that so you could make your own assumptions... or even better, perhaps they left it open just in case they decided on a season three somewhere down the road... historically, I'm not sure when vorenus died anyways (he was an actual figure, as was pullo)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

it isnt as if there isnt enough history to take the show into its 30th season.
    the entire series spans from about 52 bce to about 30 bce. from the conquest of gaul to the death of mark antony.