New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Combat Familiar - What is the best approach?

I'm thinking about how to create a familiar that can contribute as effective combatant, using options from Familiar Folio.

IMO, there are several ways to approach this:

Spoiler: 1. Beastblade Magus
    Show
    Beastblade Magus
    At 11th level, you get a free AoO every time your familiar delivers a touch spell.
    Pre-buff your familiar with Frostbite, and go to town.

You want high HP, Spirit's Gift and Evolved Familiar to buff your familiar.

(Try to convince your DM that a cat familiar qualifies for the Pounce evolution)

You can also use an Improved Familiar to deliver spells/trigger AoOs for you.
    Spoiler: 2. Eldritch Guardian
    Show
    Eldritch Guardian
    Eldritch Guardian is a Fighter Archetype compatible with Mutation Warrior and Martial Master.

Strongly consider the Mauler Archetype for your familiar, together with the feat Mauler's Endurance to increase the HP of your familiar.

If you want an Improved Familiar, you need some way to qualify as arcane caster; SLAs no longer work because of a recent FAQ.

Improved familiars do not qualify for any familiar archetypes other than Sage, because they do not gain the *speak with animals* or *speak with master* abilities.
    Spoiler: 3. Bloodrager
    Show
    Bloodrager
    Bloodragers have the option to trade their 1st-lvl bloodline power for a Bloodline Familiar.
    Good Combat familiar options:
    Draconic(Your familiar can sprout wings and fly)
    Abyssal(Your familiar deals more damage with natural attacks)
    Arcane(Your familiar gains more powerful buffs)
    Destined(Your familiar delivers spells more easily)

You have several options:
    1)Valet Goat familiar; use various Teamwork feats.
    Amplified Rage only works if you adventure with/are a Skald or have some other easy way to allow your familiar to rage.

2)Use a Mauler familiar, together with the feat Mauler's Endurance to increase the HP of your familiar.

3)Use an Improved Familiar; personally, I like Earth, Mud, Air and Lightning Elementals because of their feats/special abilities.

You may want an improved familiar with SLAs or Fast Healing/Regeneration instead; or the ability to use weapons.

Improved familiars do not qualify for any familiar archetypes other than Sage, because they do not gain the *speak with animals* or *speak with master* abilities.

Any advice/helpful comments/something crucial that I have missed?

Any useful magic items for familiars that allow them to fight/survive better?

Example builds:

Spoiler: Bloodrager
    Show
    Aasimar Bloodrager(Primalist, Metamagic Rager)

Variant Heritage: Angel-Blooded(+2 STR/CHA, Alter Self, +2 Heal/K(Planes))

Alternate racial traits: Halo, Scion of Humanity.

Traits: Unscathed, Bloody-Minded

15-Pointbuy:

18 STR(10 pts, +2 racial)
    12 DEX(2 pts)
    12 CON(2 pts)
    7 INT(-4 pts)
    10 WIS(0 pts)
    16 CHA(5 pts, +2 racial)

Favored class bonus: +HP

1st: Cantrips, Bloodrage, Bloodline(Arcane), Bloodline Familiar(Goat), Fast Movement(+10'); Spirit's Gift
    2nd: Uncanny Dodge
    3rd: Blood Sanctuary; Celestial Servant
    4th: Bloodcasting, Rage Powers(Energy Resistance(Sonic), Lesser Spirit Totem), +1 CHA; (Eschew Materials)
    5th: Meta-Rage; Improved Familiar(Lightning Elemental)
    6th: Bloodline feat(Rime Spell)
    7th: DR 1/-; Toughness
    8th: Bloodline Power(Greater Arcane Bloodrage), Bloodline Spell(Magic Missile), +1 CHA
    9th: Bloodline feat(Intensify Spell); Power Attack
    10th: DR 2/-
    11th: Greater Bloodrage, Bloodline Spell(Invisibility); Dazing Assault
    12th: Bloodline feat(Combat Reflexes), Rage Powers(Savage Dirty Trick, Come and Get Me), +1 CHA
    13th: DR 3/-; Quicken Spell
    14th: Bloodline Spell(Lightning Bolt), Indomitable Will
    15th: Bloodline feat(Disruptive); Spell Perfection(Shocking Grasp)
    16th: DR 4/-, Bloodline Power(True Arcane Bloodrage), +1 CHA
    17th: Bloodline Spell(Dimension Door), Tireless Bloodrage; Celestial Obedience(Arqueros)
    18th: Bloodline feat(Spellbreaker)
    19th: DR 5/-; Teleport Tactician
    20th: Bloodline power(Caster's bane), Mighty Bloodrage, +1 CHA

1st lvl:
    You have 12 HP; your Goat familiar has 6 HP and DR 5/adamantine.

4th lvl: You have two rage powers, minor spellcasting(allowing you to buff your familiar) and a celestial goat as familiar.

8th lvl: You have a celestial lightning elemental as familiar who can deliver Rime Frostbites and bullrush/trip/disarm metal-wearing or -wielding enemies with ease.

12th lvl: You have Come and Get me, Dazing Assault and Combat Reflexes; your familiar can now deliver Intensified Shocking Grasps.

16th: You have Spell Perfection, allowing you to apply Metamagic more easily.

20th: You have Teleport Tactician/Celestial Obedience(Arqueros), allowing you to AoO anyone who teleports/charges in the area you threaten.
    Spoiler: Beastblade Magus
    Show
    Elf Magus(Beastblade Magus, Spelldancer)

Alternate racial traits: Envoy, Arcane Focus

Traits: Focused Mind(+2 concentration), Warrior of Old(+2 initiative)

15-Pointbuy:

10 STR(0 pts)
    16 DEX(5 pts, +2 racial)
    12 CON(5 pts, -2 racial)
    16 INT(5 pts, +2 racial)
    8 WIS(-2 pts)
    12 CHA(2 pts)

Favored class bonus: +HP

1st: Arcane Pool(4/4), Cantrips, Spell Combat, Spelldance(+2/+10'); Weapon Finesse
    2nd: Spellstrike
    3rd: Magus Arcana(Familiar); Dervish Dance
    4th: Tandem Touch, +1 CHA
    5th: Arcane Movement, Spelldance(+4/+20'; Blur/Fly/Haste 1/dance); Spirit's Gift
    6th: Magus Arcana(Spell Blending: Mage Armor + ??)
    7th: Dance of Avoidance +2, Familiar Pool; Improved Familiar
    8th: Improved Spell Combat, +1 DEX
    9th: Spelldance(+6/+30'; Dimension Door 1/dance), Magus Arcana(Spell Blending); Intensify Spell
    10th: Fighter Training(1/2 lvl)
    11th: Familiar Spellstrike; (Combat Reflexes), Rime Spell
    12th: Magus Arcana(Disruptive), +1 DEX
    13th: Greater Dance of Avoidance +4, Spelldance(+8/+40'; Freedom of Movement 1/dance); Empower Spell
    14th: Greater Spell Combat
    15th: Magus Arcana(Spellbreaker); Spell Perfection(Shocking Grasp)
    16th: Counterstrike, +1 DEX
    17th: Spelldance(+10/+50'); (Teleport Tactician), Celestial Obedience(Arqueros)
    18th: Magus Arcana(Spell Blending)
    19th: Greater Spell Access; Toughness
    20th: True Magus, +1 DEX

1st lvl:
    You are a weak DEX-focused magus; use cantrips and spells to contribute.

4th lvl: You have a weak familiar; Dervish Dance allows you to deal some damage in melee.

8th lvl: You have an improved familiar(Nycar/Arbiter Inevitable for Regeneration; Silvanshee Agathion or Dweomercat Cub for pounce) buffed with Spirit's Gift; Spelldance allows you to gain a swift-action buff once per minute dancing.

12th lvl: You have Familiar Spellstrike and various Metamagicks(Intensified Shocking Grasps for 10d6 dmg; Rime Frostbites for debuffs)

16th: You have Spell Perfection(Shocking Grasp); you'll be using Empowered Intensified Shocking Grasps to deal 15d6 dmg with Spell Combat; you have Spellbreaker and Counterstrike to AoO mages.

20th: You have Teleport Tactician/Celestial Obedience(Arqueros), allowing you to AoO anyone who teleports/charges in the area you threaten.

You can replace feats with Evolved Familiar, if you want.
    Last edited by Abrasis Mindlef; 2015-03-08 at 08:47 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Combat Familiar - What is the best approach?

Eldritch Guardian. You have access to a ton of combat feats to improve your familiar's power, not to mention teamwork feats to boost the offense/defense of both of you. You can even go for Betrayal Feats like Wild Flanking, which, considering you should have some good DR via adamantine armor, will hurt your enemies more than you.

I'd take the Mutation Warrior archetype, but not necessarily Martial Master, that's up to you.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Wizard View Post
    I'd take the Mutation Warrior archetype, but not necessarily Martial Master, that's up to you.
    Why not? Neither your Weapon Groups nor Mutagen apply to your familiar, but the feats gained from Martial Master do.

I'd also strongly consider playing a half-elf with a monkey familiar and the ancestral arms alternate racial ability. The PRD strongly implies you actually gain the appropriate feat and not just a non-feat proficiency. Since it's (Combat), your monkey can use a bow. Grab the standard array of bow feats (Point Blank, Rapid, Deadly Aim) and let your monkey double the number of arrows you put out a round. Medium sized means better damage, but tiny size means higher to-hit.

Spoiler: Ancestral Arms Text
    Show
    Ancestral Arms: Some half-elves receive training in an unusual weapon. Half-elves with this racial trait receive Exotic Weapon Proficiency or Martial Weapon Proficiency with one weapon as a bonus feat at 1st level. This racial trait replaces the adaptability racial trait.

Note that this text from the PRD links to the feats EWP and MWP as the direct explanation of what you gain.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Magus Beastblade + Greensting Slayer + (eventually) Fiend Flayer. All the archetypes are compatible. Actually, I think that this can work in some manner: there are probably too much swift actions (rapid casting, sneak attack, arcana... I thought even to take feat for two weapon fighting with Fiendblade that is activated with a swift action) for an optimized build, but the idea fascinates me.
    I love the Magus class, and I optimized hundreds Magus, but these archetypes change everything. Have anyone suggestion regard this possible build?
    P.s. Sorry for the bad english, this isn't my first language

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

I would also look at Shaman (hybrid class). Their spirit abilities buff their familiar. Choice tidbits like fast healing 1 or DR5/-, available at level 1, on a mid BAB chassis with 4 skill points per level.