New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] Everything Old is New Again (5E)

Arrass Ilywyn, Arctic Druid - 21/21HP, 17 AC

"I can't save you human!" Arrass says spinning back to the speaker and throwing his hands in the air with exasperation. "This is my first time to this corner of the world. I don't know you. I don't know your village. And i don't know any curses!"

"What makes you think it's my people that cause your woes?"
    DMing
    Part II: Search for the Tower (5e)
    OOC / IC / Tracker / Map

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Corthos quietly mutters a few words of magic, hoping a simple trick or two can cause the men's fear to bubble over and force them to flee. As he finishes the spell, the ground begins to rumble and faint whispers in what sounds vaguely elven seem to emanate from the direction of the village.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    cast thaumaturgy twice, roll for deception (1d20+5)[7]

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Road to Awad

The man is getting frantic. Arrass' ignorance only angers him further. "The orcs! You killed the orcs of Jawarl Avignon and now your curse has been released upon the world! My home is in danger! My friends! MY FAMILY!" His voice rises to a scream as he lunges towards the elf with his sword raised. The men behind him shout, "Roget! No! Don't!"

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    With his building anger, you're not surprised.
    Roget's Initiative = (1d20)[1]

Edit:Wow. Really not surprised. Y'all saw it coming a mile away.
    What do you want to do to him?
    Last edited by WaffleLord; 2015-03-25 at 12:20 AM.
    No longer active in forums.
    Thank you to all who have brought me joy in game and out.
    Praise be to Dakaran for the elf monk avatar! (at rest)

PCs
    Melhved Brombriar, Goliath Warden - Keep of the Shadowfell (retired)
    Aeren Tatallaner, Eladrin Bard - Scales of War (retired)
    DMings

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I still don't really want to fight this guy, so I guess I'll just spend my turn casting suggestion, to suggest that he calm down and sheathe his weapon. Will Save DC 13
    Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    (1d20+2)[10] Pretty low. I guess if this guy gets killed by the rest of my team before I act, I won't cast it?

"Sir, please. P-p-put down the sword and we can talk this out like reasonable folk."

pls ignore my actions until it comes time
    Last edited by Vonwalt; 2015-03-25 at 10:53 PM.
    So we're fighting this lizardman...

5. - Top - End - #35

Are you really stupid enough to confront us?

Thelneiros marches up to the man who seems to be the leader of the group.
    Spoiler: Attack roll
    Show
    (1d20+6)[12]

Damage(1d10+4)[6]

12 damage, see OOC post.

If he still seem strong:

(1d20+5)[7]

(1d4+3)[5]

6 damage, see OOC post.

You brought our wrath, as I have foretold. Do you and your men wish to stop before lives are wasted on petty matters?
    Last edited by BenTheJester; 2015-03-25 at 11:47 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36

Arrass Ilywyn, Arctic Druid - 21/21HP, 17 AC

"The farmer does have a point though Thelneiros," Arrass says as he conjures a ball of fire into his hands. "Death will most likely set him free," he says pointing out that fact. It was true he guessed anyway, unless this curse was actually real AND it had something to do with undead, then it wasn't actually that true.

"Is that what you want farmer?" he asks extending his flaming fist toward him waiting for the farmer to make another move.

Spoiler: Round 1
    Show
    Trying to get him to decide he rather likes living and leave us be.
    Persuasion: (1d20)[19]

Ready Action: Produce Flame (Should the farmer keep up the attack)
    Attack: (1d20+6)[9]
    Damage: (1d8)[8] fire damage
    If Crit: (1d8)[6]
    Last edited by Foodle; 2015-03-26 at 12:39 AM.
    DMing
    OOC / IC / Tracker / Map

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Road to Awad

The paladin's blow catches the farmer as he charges and sends him to the ground, broken and bleeding but clinging to life. His friends take a step forward but halt at the fire that has appeared in Arrass' hands. "Please," says another man stepping forward, his hands open in supplication. "Roget has lost everything. His world is behind him. Please, leave him his breath. We'll give you the horses, everything we know, whatever. Just leave him be."

PCs
    DMings

8. - Top - End - #38

Beholder

We don't need your horses. Abalard mutters as he rushes forward to take care of the man's wounds. We don't need anything out of you, but in the name of mercy, help us help you, he speaks as he applies pressure on the wound with one hand, fishing in his pack for bandages with the other. Tell us what you know about this curse, about the orcs of Jawarl Avignon, about what happened. Above the joint, through the loop, tighten the knot ... not so bad, he might live after all. After that, you are free to take your wounded and leave.

Spoiler
    Show
    use Healer's kit to stabilize

9. - Top - End - #39

Arrass Ilywyn, Arctic Druid - 21/21HP | 17 AC

Arrass lets the flame wink out, gives the farmer on the ground a brief look, mainly just to make sure he was alive, then waits expectantly for the men to talk.
    DMing
    OOC / IC / Tracker / Map

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Chloe watches the exchange with Roget with hidden interest, keeping up her noncombatant act just in case another match gets thrown onto the fuel.
    Last edited by Xetheral; 2015-03-27 at 01:24 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Yarrow turns away and sits down, well away from the road. He feels terrible for the old man, but doesn't think he can do much to help.
    Last edited by Vonwalt; 2015-03-27 at 01:56 AM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

With the mad man dealt with and the others standing down, Corthos relaxes. He dismisses his sword back to its pocket dimension, throws his hood back over his head, and stands by the elf - genuinely interested in the story to come.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

Road to Awad
    "Thank you. Thank you." The man visibly relaxes as he kneels next to Roget and places his hand on the wounded man's shoulder. "Much has happened to him in a short time. I don't know the full story but I know what most know." He sits on the ground and picks up a rock, turning it over in his hands.

"About a week ago, a old guy, a sage, came into town looking for diggers. Said he was going to check on some interesting rock formations further down river. There's always plenty of extra hands between harvests. He had his pick of twenty or so. He took ten and set off with a few others who came to town. Two days later they came back and had a day off. Those that worked kept closed mouthed about what they were doing but were well paid. That means a few of them loosened up at the pub. They let spill that they weren't digging on the cliffs, they were poking around Jawarl Avignon." Seeing confused faces, he explains, "Jawal Avignon is an ancient fortress town built overlooking the river. As peace came thousands of years ago, it was given to the elves as a trading post. They called it...ah...Van...Vanya...Liss...enen. Vanya Lissenen."
    Spoiler: Arrass
    Show
    Vanya Lissenen sounds familiar. It traded in jewels and manufactured goods with the humans for hundreds of years until it was undone by the wretched ones. You are surprised it was this far west.
    "They traded with all and did quite well until an orc army destroyed them. Killed every last one. But they didn't last long. They all died of a horrible plague, a curse from the mass of dying elves. The place has been cursed ever since." He paused for a few breathes. "Anyway, when people heard they were digging around there some got a little worried. We've stayed out of there and kept our children clear with the story of the plague. The diggers say they've seen nothing wrong anywhere and gold does a lot for a man's courage. They went back out the next morning and came back two days later again. No problems." He takes a moment, wipes his brow then continues. "Suddenly early this morning, one of the sage's cronies comes shuffling towards town, looking bad, green splotches every where. Hands, feet, face. He wouldn't come into town. Said they were digging and a shadow loomed up from the ground and struck them. He made it away, but the diggers died where they stood." He looks down at Roget. "His two sons, Trent and Monroe, were two of the diggers."

He stands and looks down the road where the caravan passed. "It didn't take long for panic to spread. Families packed and fled. Business barely even boarded up, just dropped shades and left. Some stayed to 'exact justice' on the sage. He was in town when the plague struck. I...We didn't want any part of that. It won't change what happened. Nothing will." He looks at the party, from one to another.
    he sighs and looks down the road towards the distant town. "I suppose I shouldn't have left. My father was regent in decades past. I owe it to try, to save what I can." He looks to his fellow villagers. "Mount Roget up. Head for the caravan. Get him to the priest." He takes three steps down the road towards Awad, then looks back to the party with a thin grin. "I wouldn't mind some help."
    Last edited by WaffleLord; 2015-03-28 at 03:04 AM.

PCs
    DMings

14. - Top - End - #44

Arrass frowns when the man mentions Vanya Lissenen, that didn't seem right.

"And everyone just took the obviously sick man at his word? What if part of what was afflicting him caused him to hallucinate the whole thing?!" Arrass asks dumbfounded by just how superstitious the villagers could be.

He eyes the others left over from the caravan briefly trying to judge how they'd react then begins walking after the man. "If this is actually a carryover from when my people lived here, then i feel partly responsible for stopping it from getting to others, or at least containing it," he explains.

Spoiler: Towns
    Show
    Were there any other elven settlements i know of with similar names to Vanya Lissenen? Names that a human might mistake for the other.
    History: (1d20+2)[16]
    DMing
    OOC / IC / Tracker / Map

15. - Top - End - #45

Beholder

Abalard is intrigued by descriptions of the plague's symptoms. It doesn't sound like anything he's ever seen or heard of. If he would only paid more attention when father Lucas tried to get the medical sciences through his skull - never got much past first aid. Well, let's learn on the job.

Can you tell me anything else about this disease? Green splotches, what else? Was there fever, sweating, shaking, nausea, loss of bodily functions? Sorry to have to ask you that, but anything will help. Headaches, dizziness, loss of vision? Joint aches?

Spoiler
    Show
    preemptively, Medicine (1d20+3)[21] to make something of it
    Last edited by Galen; 2015-03-29 at 01:00 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Yarrow quietly comes over and stands with the group once again, eager to get going down the path towards their town and see what this sage has to say.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Well, Chloe thinks to herself, it doesn't seem that butchery is going to be needed after all. Still, no reason to let the peasants know about the ruse.

Head down, she demurely walks back towards the group, relief and worry mingled on her face.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"I for one am eager to see what all the fuss is about. Perhaps this trip won't be so dull after all!"

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Road to Awad
    "Thank you, once again. My name is Yansen." As you walk the final miles toward Awad, he spends some time talking with each one of you.

Show
    "My apologies, again, for my friend's overreaction. He sought only the return of normalcy, as we all do. Is there nothing in your history, in your past, that can help us?"
    Spoiler: Towns
    Show
    You know of Melon Lissenen, but that is far to the northeast in the mountains.

Spoiler: Corthos
    Show
    He sidles up beside you, obviously gathering his courage. Barley above a whisper he says, without looking you in the eye, "I know your kind. I've seen one before. My mother told me... Is it true..." He clears his throat. "Perhaps with your...unique history...you may have a greater knowledge about curses? In general?"

Spoiler: Yarrow
    Show
    "You seem to have a touch of the Fey to you. Were you close to your elven cousins? Would you be able to shed any light on this?"

Spoiler: Thelneiros
    Show
    "Thank you for showing restraint and not killing my friend. Your gallantry and kindness seem at odds with your tone. Perhaps helping with our problem with resolve the conflict in your heart?" he offers questioningly.

Spoiler: Abalard
    Show
    "In truth, the sage's friend is the only person I've seen still alive with the plague. The splotches were mottled and raised, very crusty. He spoke as though in great pain and walked with unsure legs. We have lost hunters in the past few months. It must strike quickly and thoroughly to kill those strong men so quickly. We've also never found the body so its possible that it consumes the body entirely. Have you heard of anything like this before?"

Spoiler: Chloe
    Show
    He moves close and puts his hand on your shoulder. "Don't worry, dear. I don't know why your father left you, but when we get to town, I have a place you can stay. Let's leave this to the men who can take care of this."

PCs
    DMings

20. - Top - End - #50

"I don't take kindly to people accusing me of things i've had no part in," Arrass explains in a nonchalant tone as he walks. Curiously gazing at trees, rocks and other areas nearby that wouldn't get a lot of traffic, he looks for any signs of local druids, or any messages they might have left behind in the language known only to others of their kind.

"I grew up in the frozen north, away from great libraries and such. Any tales i know have been passed down through stories late at night or in the few books our community had. I don't think i know anything that would help, but i'll think on it," he assures the man.

Spoiler: Thinking on it.
    Show
    History: (1d20+2)[21]

Also looking around for any druidic signs on our way to town, figuring that if there are some druids around they might have placed warnings and such about what was going on.
    Last edited by Foodle; 2015-03-30 at 10:27 PM.
    DMing
    OOC / IC / Tracker / Map

21. - Top - End - #51

Beholder

Never found the body, you say? Most peculiar. Have you found the poor chaps clothes or effects, or have they also been consumed?

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Chloe, Barbarian/Rogue - 33/33HP | 15 AC

Chloe twitches slightly when Yansen touches her shoulder, but smiles sweetly up at him. She raises her chin to whisper in his ear:

"Back there I was standing right behind you. If it had come to violence, I would have stabbed you first, right at the base of your neck--you would have died instantly. Touch me again, hurt any of my associates, or tell anyone what I'm telling you now, and rather than a quick death I'll instead open you like a pig, rip out your guts, and leave you to slowly rot."

Loud enough for others to hear, she continues:

"Thank you, that's very kind of you. It sounds like my friends are going to try and help you with your problem. Aren't they nice?"

Until something interesting happens, Chloe will follow Yansen about, walking very demurely a few steps behind him, out of his line of sight but always there in the corner of his eye whenever he turns his head. If he ever makes eye contact she will smile very sweetly and slightly blush.
    Last edited by Xetheral; 2015-03-30 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Formatting error

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"I'm afraid my own curse is more a matter of blood than ancient elven gewgaws, and not at all similar... As for my unique history: My mother was a whore who made the mistake of laying with a fiend from the nine hells. For that, she was murdered and I was eventually run out of town - So, you'll excuse me if I don't have much knowledge on the subject."

Corthos walks away with a smirk, leaving the man stumbling on what was most likely an apology.

24. - Top - End - #54

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I, ah, have little knowledge of my father's people, unfortunately. He died when I was, um, quite young. But I do have some small knowledge pertaining to the magical arts. This c-certainly seems no natural disease. I'd like to take a look at the ruins myself when we arrive, s-see if there's any evidence of an ancient curse.

25. - Top - End - #55

My heart is not conflicted. My heart longs for conflict, as through hardship comes betterment of oneself. I will help with your problems as the redemption brought through this curse intrigues me.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Road to Awad

Show
    "Thank you," replies Yansen sincerely. He steps away and walks next to the cleric.
    Spoiler: Druid sign
    Show
    You see healthy buckthorn stretching in far rows to the north that should be ripe for harvest soon, but no sign of any druidic messages.

Spoiler: Abalard
    Show
    "Um...actually...uh...no. We haven't seen any trace of them, clothing or otherwise. We assumed...uh...I don't know." He seems to ponder this fact as he moves off to speak with Chloe.

Spoiler: Chloe
    Show
    As you whisper to him, the color in his face drains as quickly as his eyes get larger. He legs move him mechanically forward as your piping voice thanks him. He keeps pace only for a few more steps before moving quickly away to walk next to Corthos, glancing back once in panic.

Spoiler: Corthos
    Show
    "I'm sor...I thought... My ap..." he stutters as you stride away. He glances quickly back at Chloe before hurrying over to Yarrow.

Spoiler: Yarrow
    Show
    "Many thanks to you, Holy One. Whatever intervention you can bring us will be a blessing." He looks back and finds Chloe smiling at him. He nervously mumbles goodbye before moving over to the paladin.

Spoiler: Thelneiros
    Show
    "Whatever your reason, we appreciate whatever you can do for us. Thank you." A content smile pauses on his lips briefly before he catches something out of the corner of his eye. Turning, he moves forward, away from a smiling Chloe.

"We are nearly there." The village is very close now. Many two story buildings encircle a central meeting square that, although the buildings surrounding it appear deserted, it teeming with people. Indistinct yelling reaches your ears as you draw closer. "Oh no. They haven't..." Yansen charges forward towards the center square.

PCs
    DMings

27. - Top - End - #57

Beholder

Wait, goodman! Abalard calls out, before realizing he better give chase.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

"Hmph, first time I've seen an angry mob from the other side... doesn't look any better." Corthos break into a run as well. "if your people have hanged some innocent, I promise you many of them will not see tomorrow..."

29. - Top - End - #59

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Yarrow'll run after them as well, trying to hang behind the rest of the adventurers just a bit.

30. - Top - End - #60

Mastiff Form (60min) - 5/5HP | 12 AC

Trying to see what the noise was about Arrass can't help but feel a twinge of fear at the prospect of facing a mob of angry people. They'd only just managed to talk down a few men and even that had come close to one of them losing their lives. He wasn't one to kill needlessly and he worried that a large group wouldn't give them the chance to explain themselves, or even listen to their new guide. It would be best for him to hide his elven features.

"Pull your hood up Yarrow," he advises before getting Abalard's attention. "I'm going to do something, don't be alarmed. It should help avoid any further close calls because of my race," he explains bidding the man to wait a moment as he steps away from him as his form starts to shimmer and blur. Squatting down he drops to the ground and his body starts to re-shape itself. A few seconds later it's finished and the shimmering stops. Where the elf was a grey furred mastiff sits on the ground in his place, his pack and other items somehow absorbed into the new body.

Sniffing at the air, it's ears perking up, it turns an intelligent gaze at Abalard and walks over to his side, content to follow along in the guise of his pet.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Going to Wild Shape into a Mastiff, should hopefully stop any angry villagers looking to lynch an elf.

Also listening and sniffing at the air to try get a hint of anything to be worried about.
    Perception: (1d20+6)[19]
    Advantage from Mastiff's Keen Hearing and Smell: (1d20+6)[12]
    Last edited by Foodle; 2015-04-06 at 06:50 PM.
    DMing
    OOC / IC / Tracker / Map