New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Battle Caster Offence Feat conversion to Pathfinder

Complete Mage D&D 3.5e has this great feat called Battlecaster Offence.

I was wondering if anyone had ever converted it to Pathfinder, or if there was an official Pathfinder version of this feat?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: Battle Caster Offence Feat conversion to Pathfinder

Sort of.

For the DC part, there's the Arcane Strike // Riving Strike combo, which is official pathfinder stuff. Total of +2 DC to the next spell.

The first part... there's nothing quite like it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Any tips to converting it to Pathfinder? I can bring it over wholescale, but since PF feats are slightly stronger I need help on how to enhance the 3.5e one

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

It reads kind of like the Magus capstone.

Think about it. The feat offers two options: (1) if you hit with a spell, +1 to your next melee attack roll against that target; and (2) if you hit with an attack, +1 to the next save DC on a spell you cast on that target. And here's the text of the Magus capstone, True Magus:
    Quote Originally Posted by Magus, True Magus
    Whenever the magus uses spell combat and his spell targets the same creature as his melee attacks, he can choose to either increase the DC to resist the spell by +2, grant himself a +2 circumstance bonus on any checks made to overcome spell resistance, or grant himself a +2 circumstance bonus on all attack rolls made against the target during his turn.
    In other words, when you use a spell and attack in the same round (because Magus can do that), you can either (1) take +2 to attack rolls; (2) increase the DC by +2; or (3) gain +2 to overcome SR.

Which is frankly better than Battlecaster Offense, but for the fact that it's a capstone, which means that the vast majority of players will never reach that point.
    My headache medicine has a little "Ex" inscribed on the pill. It's not a brand name; it's an indicator that it works inside an Anti-Magic Field.

Blue text means sarcasm. Purple text means evil. White text is invisible.

My signature got too big for its britches. So now it's over here!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by andhaira View Post
    Complete Mage D&D 3.5e has this great feat called Battlecaster Offence.

I was wondering if anyone had ever converted it to Pathfinder, or if there was an official Pathfinder version of this feat?
    It probably doesn't, but I don't think conversion would be an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by andhaira View Post
    Any tips to converting it to Pathfinder? I can bring it over wholescale, but since PF feats are slightly stronger I need help on how to enhance the 3.5e one
    Reduce the Spellcraft requirement to 1 rank, to fit that change in scaling. Otherwise, it's fine as-is. I mean, if you want to pump it up, I'd increase the bonus to +1 per 4-5 character levels, but I'd say the same about a lot of feats that made the cut unchanged. (CoughWeaponFocuscough, coughDodgecough)
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use