New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Waker's Awakening (IC)

Larien

Having been shown the room, she glanced over at Jeanne catching her brief gaze. She shrugs it off speaking up after Sarrox had volinteered. "If need be, I would have no quarrel sharing a room, or even a bed if I must. I am more then certain you would be content with me laying by your side." She spoke with her normally sarcastic tone finishing off what she had to say.

The sound of a bathhouse appealed to the noble as she nodded. "Such a city is likely to have fine bathhouses. Perhaps not to the luxury I'd prefer, but in the end such trivial things such as being waited upon has no sway over being enveloped by the warm water and being able to cleanse oneself of any grime."
    Peeking back in after a long break.

Avatar by the Awesome Ceika of my character Aisha Silverlight. :)

2. - Top - End - #512
    Ogre in the Playground

"I think it would be alright to take the rest of the day off. It's not like we're in such a hurry that we can't enjoy a nice bath and spend some time resting after all."

Lucilla wanders around the suite, noting the available sleeping arrangements in the process. As she returns to the central room, she opens her mouth to speak before finding herself cut off by Larien.

Quote Originally Posted by HanaRei View Post
    "If need be, I would have no quarrel sharing a room, or even a bed if I must. I am more then certain you would be content with me laying by your side."
    Lucilla pauses and her expression turns particularly thoughtful. You can almost see the wheels turning in her mind as she digests the elf's comment. After a few awkward seconds, she seems to suddenly remember where she is and glances around rapidly.

"Uh... anyway! Is anyone interested in visiting the bath now? It's the middle of the day but that might make it less crowded?"

3. - Top - End - #513
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Jeanne

Jeanne suddenly realizes that there's enough beds for the five of them as the universe suddenly catches up with the fact that Gertrude left the group a day or so ago. Still, the conversation continues, and the young cleric notices Lucilla thinking after Larien's comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathemagics View Post
    Lucilla pauses and her expression turns particularly thoughtful. You can almost see the wheels turning in her mind as she digests the elf's comment.
    She nudges the Herald and winks, speaking in a teasing tone. "Considering taking lady Carnesîr up on her offer, are we?"

"Uh... anyway! Is anyone interested in visiting the bath now? It's the middle of the day but that might make it less crowded?"
    Jeanne grins at Lucilla's awkward reaction and sudden change of subject. " Very well. A little cleaning up wouldn't hurt. Plus, I don't mind relaxing a bit."
    Last edited by BramsesII; 2015-08-06 at 03:10 AM.
    Characters in play:

4. - Top - End - #514
    Firbolg in the Playground

Sarrox

"thatsoundsgreat! letmejust-"

*** Szzz-blorp! ***

As the universe once more corrected itself, Sarrox stood blinking for a second. "letmejustgoputmystuffaway, becauseweallgetourownbeds! yahoo!"
    Everything dissolves into blue.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Main Party
    Show
    Lucilla blinks in surprise at Jeanne's tease.

"Huh? What? Oh! Nononono! It's nothing like that! Really! It's actually um something else..."

The Herald's face flushes bright red as she desperately hurries towards the door in an attempt to flee the subject. Luckily she at least flees in the direction of the baths (considering she has the pass and all). A few minutes later you all arrive at the entrance to the bathhouse. You note that there are separate entrance for men and women, one on either side of the hallway leading to the facility. A heavyset man sitting behind a counter nods politely to you as you approach (and appears to note the pass) before motioning in the direction of the ladies' entrance. Stepping inside, you find yourselves in a changing room with a wooden partition dividing the area in half for privacy. A number of cubby holes set into alcoves provide repositories for your gear while a generous stack of large towels sit ready for patrons.

Having completed changing, you step through the back exit and enter the baths proper. The room is large, with a high arching ceiling, and looks to be some 80 feet wide. The center of the room is dominated by a massive pool, which you judge to be heated given the steam rising off of it in thin curls. Another large partition divides the large room in half, spanning the full width of the area and in all likelihood bisecting the central pool. Off to the side you notice a number of smaller pools set in an alcove, probably to afford greater privacy. Luckily, privacy doesn't seem like it will be much of an issue, as there is only a single other occupant at the moment.

Spoiler: Lilianna
    Show

It's been a rough couple of days since you woke up. As best you can tell, something like 180 years managed to go by while you were asleep, somehow. It also doesn't help that you're alone in a strange city. You managed to find find a place to stay, at least for a little while (not that it's nice or anything), but sooner or later you'll need to find some work. It would really help if you had a bit more information about what exactly happened though.

At present you've put those concerns aside for the moment in favor of a bath. You probably could have used one even before the sleep, and it should help alleviate the stress of the past few days. After asking around, you heard that the bathhouse at an inn called The Queen's Rest was one of the better ones in the neighborhood, and reasonably priced at that. After paying the modest entrance fee, you quickly settled in to enjoy a bit of relaxation, though it wasn't very long before the sounds of other bathers began to echo in from the changing room. Shortly thereafter, you noticed a group of five other women enter the main bath, several of them mirroring your own earlier reaction at the impressive sight the room provided.

Spoiler: A note about plumbing
    Show

Your characters would be familiar with the concept of indoor plumbing, however in their time such a luxury lay within the reach of only the extraordinarily wealthy. Most large baths like this would require a natural geothermic heat source or a massive furnace built directly underneath it in order to sustain heated water. Even then it would be very difficult to create a heated bath of this size using past technology, so this is likely the largest one any of you have seen.

6. - Top - End - #516
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Lilianna saluted with a nod and a smile the other women as they entered the room. Seeing the amazed look on their faces as well as the diversity of their company, she thought they might be an adventuring party of some sorts, but not anything major. After all their narrow and fragile frames would not last long traveling around in the world she remembered. She sat quietly, trying to enjoy her bath and after almost 30 minutes she said to them:

"Rich and noble people sure get a lot of nice things in their lives huh? Well, I don't think they truly appreciate the value of most of them like we would. Have you ever been in such a luxurious place before?"
    "Once, a bear grappled me and I dropped my weapon. She holded me so hard that the only thing I remember is the bear releasing me and running away. All I saw was a huge part of its arm missing and the wound being burned like someone bit it with fire."

The story of a barbarian while resting after being fatigued by his rage

I AM NOT QUITTING ANY GAMES. I'LL KEEP CHECKING THEM AND BE SUBSCRIBED TO THEM UNTIL THE DM DECLARES THEM DEAD.

7. - Top - End - #517

Jarandei

Jarandei decides not to waste any time gaping in awe and simply plunges as quickly as possible into the water.

How is this not astronomically expensive?

Time, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by skypse View Post
    "Rich and noble people sure get a lot of nice things in their lives huh? Well, I don't think they truly appreciate the value of most of them like we would. Have you ever been in such a luxurious place before?"
    The other woman's voice jolts Ran out of her half-an-hour of half-sleep. She turns and smiles wrly. "Sadly, I can probably confirm the first part. And this place? It's sort of...amazing? Though to be frank I never really came to places like these in the first place, so maybe it's partly the new sights."

She pauses. "Or maybe it's just the city and all. What brings you here, anyway, if you don't mind saying?"

8. - Top - End - #518

NecromancerGuy

A lot of weird-ass things to be honest. Long story short, after some pretty unwordly experience, I found myself in this city, completely broke, looking for a job.

Lilianna moves closer to Jarandei with a smile.

Name's Lilianna. Adventurer and mercenary from Alathania. Nice to meet you.
    "Once, a bear grappled me and I dropped my weapon. She holded me so hard that the only thing I remember is the bear releasing me and running away. All I saw was a huge part of its arm missing and the wound being burned like someone bit it with fire."

I AM NOT QUITTING ANY GAMES. I'LL KEEP CHECKING THEM AND BE SUBSCRIBED TO THEM UNTIL THE DM DECLARES THEM DEAD.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Ogre in the Playground

Larien

The noble had found some amusement seeing the place in such a state. She hadn't expected to see it functioning in such a format. It seemed almost as if it was built for nobles back in her day, minus some extra luxuries that could be afforded being pamped by others. I suppose such resources to construct such a place is far more economical for a commoner to obtain. I don't mind if such establishments are far more common to experience outside of the most wealthy establishments.

She had slipped into the water just a few moments after Jarandei, not bothering to ponder more about it. The voice of Lilianna peeks up as she hears her comment. She glanced over with one eye cracked open. She lets out a soft sigh interjecting herself in. "Those residing in such positions are less concerned about the luxury and more about the social structure. They expect good treatment, but after a certain point it transgresses beyond indulgence and instead becomes focused upon the status such a thing grants among others of their class. It is a fickle beast which self comfort is second to the value of your image."

She finished off resting her head back closing her eyes once again not seeming to care whether her words were addressed. It was something she cared little for being a noble back home. All she cared about was knowledge and comfort. Her tastes might be more exuberant, but she was content with what she had.

10. - Top - End - #520

Sarrox

Stepping out of the changing room and into the baths with the rest of the party, Sarrox looked in awe around the room, her face uncovered save for her simple surgical-mask like sleeping mask (a far cry from the elaborate avian one she wore on the streets). Abandoning her towel by the edge and slipping into the water, the lithe goblin grenadier let out a sigh of contentment as she let the warmth envelop her, the aches and worries of the world slipping away.

Then she felt the water ripple, and looked up as the other woman who had been in before approached, starting a conversation with Jarandei and Larien. At the latter's own pronouncement, Sarrox cocked her head a little.

youknow, Larien, sometimesyoucanjustbesoirritating... andthenyouhavetogoandsaywise-typestufflikethat

Shaking away those thoughts, Sarrox decided to introduce herself, paddling over to Ran.

"an 'unworldly' experience, huh? Tammeranknowswe'vehadenoughofthoselately." Sarrox extended a scaly, clawed hand in greeting. "aslongaswe'reintroducingourselves, myname'sSarrox, goblinalchemistandmasterofSCIENCE!" As Sarrox pronounced the last word, she fell into her usual wild spasm, briefly disappearing beneath the water before re-emerging, spluttering and coughing it out. As she did so, she held away her mask by instinct, allowing the party an all-too-rare look at the delicately rounded and tinily-fanged muzzle of a goblin, so often concealed beneath layers of metal and leather. "damnit, ofallthetimesformetoforgetaboutthatbehavioraltic.. ."
    Last edited by Lord Of Mantas; 2015-08-07 at 02:22 PM.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Jeanne

Upon entering the bathhouse, Jeanne is awestruck at the architecture of the place. She barely notices the woman already present in the building, only acknowledging her with a quick nod. She takes a while to admire the surroudings before getting into the water - somewhat away from the others - to wash and relax. She does occasionally glance towards the others, unused as she is to seeing her companions out of their armor. When the cleric catches herself looking at someone for too long or someone looking back, she immediately turns her gaze away and pretends to be relaxing without looking at any of the others.

When after 30 or so minutes the conversation starts, Jeanne remains in her position. She nods towards the newcomer who was already in the bathhouse before them with a slight smile, but does not speak up. It'd be rude to butt into the conversation right now. I'll introduce myself later.

The young cleric does keep her attention on the group though, listening to every word being said and looking in their direction.
    Characters in play:

12. - Top - End - #522

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HanaRei View Post
    "Those residing in such positions are less concerned about the luxury and more about the social structure. They expect good treatment, but after a certain point it transgresses beyond indulgence and instead becomes focused upon the status such a thing grants among others of their class. It is a fickle beast which self comfort is second to the value of your image."
    "Oh I'm sorry your highness!"
    Lilianna responded with a dose of irony in her voice.
    "I didn't realize the status quo of such a society. I deeply apologize if my savage manners offended you! I find it completely logical and sane to invest human and material resources alike so that "nobles" like you are able to attend to crucial and important matters in order to help us the mere peasants survive our every day life without you having the need to think about puny things like a bath, food or water."

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Of Mantas View Post
    "an 'unworldly' experience, huh? Tammeranknowswe'vehadenoughofthoselately." Sarrox extended a scaly, clawed hand in greeting. "aslongaswe'reintroducingourselves, myname'sSarrox, goblinalchemistandmasterofSCIENCE!" As Sarrox pronounced the last word, she fell into her usual wild spasm, briefly disappearing beneath the water before re-emerging, spluttering and coughing it out. As she did so, she held away her mask by instinct, allowing the party an all-too-rare look at the delicately rounded and tinily-fanged muzzle of a goblin, so often concealed beneath layers of metal and leather. "damnit, ofallthetimesformetoforgetaboutthatbehavioraltic.. ."
    What a weird creature... I've never met anyone talking like that. It's almost challenging to try and understand everything she says at once.

Lilianna extends her hand and greets the goblin.

"Did you have such experiences too? I mean aside from your friend's unworldly thoughts and opinions of course..."
    Last edited by skypse; 2015-08-07 at 08:06 PM.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ogre in the Playground

For her part Lucilla seems a bit surprised at everyone else's reaction to the baths. Tilting her head to one side inquisitively, she glances around the facilities as if to make sure she's seeing the same thing as everyone else.

"Well, I guess they are pretty nice. But I don't know if they're all that special? I guess the baths you're all used to weren't so extensive?"

Meanwhile, as the conversation continues, a large overturned wooden bucket slowly scoots its way across the floor on the opposite side of the central pool.

14. - Top - End - #524

"Did you have such experiences too? I mean aside from your friend's unworldly thoughts and opinions of course..."
    Sarrox let out a sigh of equal parts mournfulness and weariness. "youdon'tknowthehalfofit. so, there'sthevillageofTamelin - we'reallpassingthrough, mindingourownbusiness, right? webunkdownforthenight, wakeup, onlytofindthatsometimewhileweweresleeping, itgotturnedintozombiecentral. weescape, makeourwaytocivilization, onlytofindthatapparently, wedidn'tjustgotosleepforthenight." Sarrox gestured toward Lucilla. "accordingtoournewfriendLucilla, we'veallbeenasleepforonehundredandeighty-"

Sarrox's rant was cut off by the scraping sound of wood against marble.

"...didthatbucketjustmove?"

15. - Top - End - #525
    Ogre in the Playground

Larien

A sigh escapes her lips, leaning back more as she was resting hearing her response. She cracked open her eyes half open as she seemed to react much more slowly then normal. Her lips parted though she didn't utter a response back. She was far from willing to allow such comfort to be disruptive by someone's sassy comments. It felt like ages since she could enjoy the luxury of a hot bath.

Her eyes couldn't help but gaze upon the moving bucket looking upon it as if in a daze. She heard Sarrox's comment vaguely from the side more as a blurr then anything else. She shrugged it off not caring enough to do anything about it, being far to much a bother to address.
    Last edited by HanaRei; 2015-08-09 at 06:35 PM.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Jeanne

The cleric has just climbed out of the water to lift up the bucket and see what's under it when an unknown force lifts it into the air (or at least tries to). She looks at Larien and arches a brow, as if to ask You'd use magic for this? Really?. She keeps quiet though. Instead, she tries to see what's under the bucket.
    Characters in play:

17. - Top - End - #527

Jarandei

Jarandei makes a face at the very suspicious bucket, then clambers out of the pool, water streaming down in puddles around her. She pauses to swipe a towel, and then stalks closer to the bucket, just as Larien tries to magic it.

"Hey, what's going on here?"

18. - Top - End - #528

NecromancerGuy

Lilianna bursts into laughs with the whole situation.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You guys really stress so much over a rolling bucket? What could it be a monster?! Oh noes! The bucket monster will eat our hair off of our head because it is jealous that it doesn't have any!

19. - Top - End - #529

Sarrox

Sarrox raised an eyebrow slightly at the Lilianna's complete lack of reaction to the party's displacement in time - and at her overly mirthful reaction to their reaction the moving bucket. "yeah, yeah, don'tgettoococky. we'llseeifyou'restilllaughingwhenitturnsouttobeape epingtom, magicallyshrunkandhidingunderthebucket."

20. - Top - End - #530

NecromancerGuy

Well, in that case, just squash it with your foot before it returns to normal size right?

21. - Top - End - #531

Sarrox

Sarrox said nothing, but grabbed a towel from the edge of the baths before hauling herself out, stalking up alongside Ran as the bucket was flipped over.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    If the bucket's not being flipped over already (secondary to the lack of spell components on Lariens behalf), Sarrox will try to flip it over herself.

22. - Top - End - #532

Jarandei

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You guys really stress so much over a rolling bucket? What could it be a monster?! Oh noes! The bucket monster will eat our hair off of our head because it is jealous that it doesn't have any!
    Jarandei pauses from bucket-examining to purse her lips at the remark. "Oh, sorry, I overestimated how much you'd been out. Never fear, we'll protect you, madam..." The slayer bows slightly, draws back her leg, and tries to aid Sarrox in tipping over the bucket with a well-aimed kick.
    Last edited by Rysc; 2015-08-11 at 06:00 PM.

23. - Top - End - #533
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Jeanne

The cleric, standing beside Jarandei as the slayer attempts to upend the bucket, looks at Lilliana and arches a brow. She then quickly turns her attention back to the bucket. The stranger's probably not a threat. As for what's under there... I hope not.
    Characters in play:

24. - Top - End - #534
    Ogre in the Playground

The large overturned bucket comes to a sudden stop when people begin taking notice of it. As Sarrox and Ran approach, it slowly begins to pivot around before attempting to scoot away in a sudden burst of speed! It isn't fast enough to escape, however, and Ran's well-aimed kick catches the side of the container, sending it flying to the air before colliding with the wall in a hollow clunk. In the wake of the bucket's flight a halfling clad in nothing more than a towel tied around his waist sits hunched over in the middle of the floor. His surprised expression quickly fades into awkward sheepishness as soon as he realizes his cover's been blown and he opens his mouth as if about to say something. Rather than words, however, all that comes out is a sort of strangled squeak followed by a cry as he leaps forward and makes a run for it!

"No wait Ferdrac! Don't come over here! You'll break the-" The halfling ignores the unseen shouting voice and sprints for the far corner of the baths. As he reaches the area, he suddenly vanishes. Immediately after his disappearance, however, the entire corner of the room flickers like projected image, revealing the presence of not only the halfling, but also a gnome and a young human. "-illusion..."

The gnome sighs in resignation as his conjured image fades. Like the halfling, the other two voyeurs are dressed in nothing more than towels (probably snuck in from their side of the baths too). The human doesn't look particularly old, being in his middle teens at the most. A closer look indicates that the halfling and gnome are probably at about the same relative ages for their own species. The gnome raises his hands defensively when he seems your expressions and clears his throat.

"Um... hello ladies! Uh, this is um... you see... I...well good luck you guys!"

He shakes his hands back and forth in a complicated set of gestures before suddenly fading from sight, leaving his two peeping comrades to their fates.

Spoiler: Time to teach a lesson!
    Show

You'll all get to attack first, no need for initiative. It's important to remember that you have none of your gear at present, thus your only attack options are unarmed or with improvised weapons. It'll be a move action to pick up an object to use as an improvised weapon, and you'll randomly grab whatever is at hand: roll on the table below to see what you get.

Roll Item Effect
    1 A bar of soap Deals 1 nonlethal when thrown. Creates an effect of grease in the space it lands with reflex DC 12.
    2 A scrubbing brush Deals 1d4 nonlethal damage.
    3 A water bucket Deals 1d3 nonlethal damage. Can fill with water as a move action. If filled, can throw water as a standard action to blind target for 1 round.
    4 A folded towel Deals 1 nonlethal damage.
    5 A potted plant Deals 1d6 nonlethal damage. Discarded after use.
    6 Nothing Curse you RNG! Cuuuuuurrsssseeeee yooooooouuuuuu!

Note: remember to apply nonproficiency penalties where appropriate.

25. - Top - End - #535
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Jeanne

Three kids sneaking a peek appear!

"Hey, you're not supposed to be here!"

It's super-effective! The gnome vanishes!

Jeanne wraps her towel a bit tighter and holds it in place with one hand. When the gnome disappears, the cleric begins casting a spell of her own. With her free hand she traces a relatively simple pattern in the air and mumbles a few words.

6 gallons of ice-cold water are suddenly dumped onto the human boy's head, and the young cleric turns to her companions with a grin.

Show
    Standard action to cast create water over the human.
    Move action to wrap her towel a bit tighter just in case.
    Last edited by BramsesII; 2015-08-12 at 02:16 AM.
    Characters in play:

26. - Top - End - #536

NecromancerGuy

Lilianna can't help but burst into laughs with the whole situation.

Very interesting use of Illusion magic little guy! But very "girly" of you to leave your friends alone here!

27. - Top - End - #537

Sarrox

Sarrox grinned nastily beneath her mask as the peeping tom's cover was blown.

timetoteachthemalittlelesson.

"fiendishperverts!"

Whipping a scrubbing brush off the floor, Sarrox arced a throw toward the halfling as she warbled a note of false anguish into her voice.

"nowIcanneverbecomeabride! youwillpayforviolatingourinnocence!"

can'tbelieveIsaidthatwithastraightface.

Show
    Move action to grab scrubbing brush off floor as shown in OOC thread.

Perform(Oratory)(Untrained)
    : (1d20-1)[15]

Attack: (1d20+8)[22]
    Damage (nonlethal): (1d4-1)[1]

28. - Top - End - #538

Jarandei

"Some life advice! Get better at sneaking." Ran smiles broadly, skips forward two paces, aims another kick...

Show
    Moving to W8, then attempting a Dirty Trick! Specifically this bit here:
    hitting a foe in a sensitive spot to make him sickened for a round
    CMB: (1d20+7)[20]

If successful, halfling will be sickened for a round, plus another round for every 5 she goes over his cmd.

...and catches the unfortunate halfing squarely in his towel-clad area. The slayer then pauses to contemplates her handiwork. "Ooorr...maybe now would be a great time to learn about the values of advantageous disengagement."
    Last edited by Rysc; 2015-08-12 at 04:08 PM.

29. - Top - End - #539
    Ogre in the Playground

Larien

She looks on with half interest as the illusion fades. Her eyes fixating on watching as the others sought to attack the peeping toms. She seemed far less interested in doing such, relaxing casually back as the assault began. Assaulting the peepers with such tactics? That is so far from the adequate form of punishment for such a crime. No matter. The elf leans her head back, keeping silent as she allowed her companions to exact revenge on the troublemakers as they saw fit for now.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Ogre in the Playground

The teenager lets out shriek as he's doused in the ice-cold water before trying to make a run for it.

"Oh please don't tell the temple about this! I can't get thrown out!"

The scrubbing brush rebounds off the halfling's head, momentarily stunning him.

"Aw come on! It's not like we meant any harm! A little curiosity is healthy ri- OOOF!"

His protests are cut shoot by Ran's precision strike, causing him to double over. Between dry heaves the unfortunate voyeur tries to drag himself to safety. At the same time, however, a sudden splash from the direction of the pool betrays the gnome's presence despite his current invisibility. For her part, Lucilla seems too stunned by the commotion to do much other than stand by and try to cover herself even further using her towel.

Spoiler: Lilianna
    Show

Amidst all the splashing, you felt something brush against your leg, probably the gnome. You're positive he's in the immediate vicinity (read: one of the adjacent spaces to you).