New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default AVB - Pacific Rim

Private thread only for Jeriah, Kalirren, and DMs until further notice. All others can go assassinate a gnome ambassador...

"I owe you an explanation," Sascha begins. "The short of it is that there's a huge, raging, acid-drooling monster out on the river, and it's easily angered and is probably out for blood. That monster needs to be put down before it kills anyone on the river." Sascha seems at once determined and slightly abashed for having to tell the story. "The long of it is more complicated, and I ask you to bear with my account.

"I don't know when you arrived in town, or how much you know about the new beaver dams that are being built. The dams threaten to choke off traffic to the docks, and there are some huge, magically altered beavers that seem to be leading, or overseeing, or organizing the animal's effort. Yes, it's all very strange. I heard the Watch is offering bounties for beavers.

"Two days ago when I just arrived in town, I went out with the Watch on a boat to collect bounties on pelts. Our boat killed two of the really large ones, but when I was out there with them during the fight, I saw no lingering trace of magic on the beavers. This I found very strange, and I was sure the Watch didn't know the whole story.

"So yesterday, on the advice of a dryad, I went out to a logging camp that had been attacked by animals earlier, and found there a truly large beaver, larger than I'd seen in the water the day before, leading a crew of beavers to fell this huge, old oak tree that no team of normal beavers would ever fell on its own. I managed to charm the beaver into telling me what it was doing. It knew the tree was very special.

"The tree started leaking a very strange sap, and the beavers started fighting over it, the bigger one winning of course," "When the largest beaver had won, it drank up all the sap it could. Then it fell to the ground writhing,..." she shudders, "and…it molted, like some sort of insect might. It grew taller and heavier and grew spines and sharp fangs...and it's still got the mind of an animal, but I don't even know what it might become tomorrow...

"So now there's a bloodthirsty abomination in the river, and it's mad, and it's got a magical tree whose sap might be able to turn other beavers into these abominations. And you and I and the dryad down Temple Street are the only ones in the City who know."
    Of the Core classes, Bard is the best. It optimizes the most important resource of them all: play time.

Grieve not greatly if thou be touched a-light, for an after-stroke is better if thou dare him smite.
    The Play with the Two-Hand Sword in Verse, circa 1430. British Museum manuscript #3542, ff 82-85.

Current avatar: Sascha Kincaid, a lost country girl in a big city. Aldhaven: Vicious Betrayals

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: AVB - Pacific Rim

Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    "I owe you an explanation," Sascha begins. "The short of it is that there's a huge, raging, acid-drooling monster out on the river, and it's easily angered and is probably out for blood. That monster needs to be put down before it kills anyone on the river." Sascha seems at once determined and slightly abashed for having to tell the story. "The long of it is more complicated, and I ask you to bear with my account.
    "It sounds adorable. If possible, can I keep it?"

[snip]

"Sounds like you've had a hell of a time. All I've done so far is rent a room at a boarding house in the Docks, recruit some allies to help bring order to the Docks, be betrayed by said allies, and brutally murder them all and leave their corpses to rot in the sewers. Rather trivial, really, at least compared to your activities. Really, I'd love to hear more..."

She recounts her deeds in a weary tone as if incredibly bored by it, but she seems genuinely interested in hearing about your derring-do.
    Homebrewer's extended signature

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show
    Click an award to see the entry.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I can already tell that this thread is going to be amazing.
    While talking, the two of you make your way to Rivergate and find yourselves looking out across the river.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.

4. - Top - End - #4

"Ha! I'd be a rich, rich woman if I could train it! Hadn't even thought of that...but no, I think some ideas are just bad." Sascha continues, reassuring her companion in modesty, "There's really not much to me. I train horses, I love the woods, I have a simple family, and I have a marriage suitor I'm fleeing (please don't tell anyone...!)" She pats the horse she leads at her side. "My teacher trained horses for the Alliance before he gave up the sword. He's no soldier anymore. And he'd be ashamed of me if he knew that I'd ever drawn his blade before I tried to find a better way.

"And I may only have spent one day in the city proper, but I'm sure what you're doing in the Docks, whatever you're doing, is important. I've heard a lot about the docks district and the other slums north of town not being safe places." There arises a ambivalent sneer on her face. "Only everyone talks about it. I stayed in the Plaza my first night because I didn't want to find a safer place all on my own.

Turning her head, she regards her new companion with an optimistic confident, and appreciative smile. "I think we've both found the tips of our own icebergs; I just needed help first. Clearly, you can handle yourself and clean up your own messes...if I'd been more decisive and stopped the beavers when I'd seen them, maybe we wouldn't need to be here together today. I'd be looking at...sick cows or something, I don't know." She didn't pull sick cows off the top of her head. "Something to make ends meet, I guess.

"So what made you decide to clear out the Docks, Fama? What's your connection to that neighborhood?"

At Rivergate

Upon reaching the portcullis and bridge, the woodswoman greets the guards present with a simple "Hi," unsure if any of them remember her from two days before. She points towards where she knows the Fortress's boathouse is, and slows her stride. "I need to see Sergeant Smithers again, or whoever's in charge of the teams going out on the river to the beaver dams today. I have to warn them about something I've seen on the river." Her raised eyebrows ask for permission, but she doesn't want to waste any time, or take no for an answer.
    Last edited by Kalirren; 2015-03-25 at 01:04 AM.
    Of the Core classes, Bard is the best. It optimizes the most important resource of them all: play time.

Grieve not greatly if thou be touched a-light, for an after-stroke is better if thou dare him smite.
    The Play with the Two-Hand Sword in Verse, circa 1430. British Museum manuscript #3542, ff 82-85.

Current avatar: Sascha Kincaid, a lost country girl in a big city. Aldhaven: Vicious Betrayals

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

"I suppose you are right. It would likely scare the local watch into attacking. They seem to have a pretty strong hatred of the beasts. Maybe they just don't like cute?" Fama just shrugs.

She shrugs again at the questions.

"I don't really care about the Docks one way or the other. People just kept saying it was a festering cesspool of filth and decay where you'd die if you so much as looked out the window after nightfall, and I couldn't resist moving in somewhere that people kept talking about so highly. Honestly, it's real homey. Quaint even. I threatened this orc into letting me stay in a boarding house for cheap. The room came furnished, but... it's not really up to my standards. I'm going to look into fixing it up a bit. If you need a place to stay, we could always split the room. I hear bad things happen to humans like you after dark though, so... I guess you'd have to get to bed early."
    Last edited by Jeriah; 2015-03-30 at 03:05 AM.

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

The two of you are quickly directed to Sergeant Smithers, who greets you warmly, giving Fama only one sidelong glance as if appraising whether or not to trust the odd woman.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

7. - Top - End - #7

"Good morning, Sergeant. This is my new friend, Fama. We just met." Sascha laughs, realizing how funny that must sound, but keeps going.

"I have bad news for you. There's a new monster on the river. I saw it myself when I was out yesterday, not just tracked it. It's about as long as from me to...uhh..." she takes two steps, "that wall there, it's got spines on its back and it drools acid. I've seen its jaws tear through live standing trees, and I don't think our boats stand a chance."

At the inevitable prompting, Sascha's getting pretty good at telling the story, having had to do it twice before just in the past day.

*snip*

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Smithers curses.

"Another one?! We had hoped that one the other day was the only one out there. It took two boats to bring it down, and we lost a man in the battle. That thing's brutal. I'm not sure you should go out with us today if there's another one of those out there."
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

9. - Top - End - #9

"It's not the first time you've seen one of these?" Sascha reacts with surprise. "Then I oughta tell ya' now, they come from the beavers. The largest beavers turn into them when they eat this strange sap. Let me show you something."

The woodswoman digs in her haversack and produces a stone-sized lump of resin wrapped in a frayed street rag. "Here it is, what's left of it anyway. It comes from a real special tree I saw a group a beavers cut down. The largest one drank this strange sap from the tree, and I watched it turn into one of those..." Lacking a name for it, she just sticks her hand out to indicate its length.

"They've got the whole tree now, they cut a way through the forest for to move the log down to the waterside. I think they're moving it to the dam, so unless we stop'em, you're gonna have more of these beasts coming your way downstream 'fore long."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

He looks genuinely afraid for a moment but does a good job of covering it.

"Well, protecting the city is what the Watch is paid to do. So, we're going to go do it."
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

"And you'll be able to do the job that much better with professionals like us helping out.

Stop. To answer your questions: She's a professional animal druid person, and I'm a professional hunter. Just bagged four big game animals yesterday, and I'd be glad to bag something actually dangerous today.
    "

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

Sascha nods, agreeing with her companion. "Sergeant. I know I could have done more to stop that beast even after things had become clear about where and how it came from, and I didn't. Now it's your duty to the city, but it was first mine as an initiate of a hunting goddess and a priestess of nature to bring that beast down, and I am not going to leave you hanging right now. Please don't you think about denying me this."

The woodswoman puts a hand on her newest friend's shoulder. "Fama, Smithers and I have worked together before, so he already has some idea about what I can do. I think if you let him know how you work, he'll be in the best position of all of us to see how we can all work together." Sascha gestures back to Smithers with that last sentence. "After all, I think you and your crews are the only ones who have actually taken one of these abominations before, right? I trust your leadership."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

"Your best bet with me is to just stay out of my way. I'll swim alongside your boats to provide combat support and recon."

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Sargent Smithers looks at her incredulously.

"You're planning to swim in that armor? Lady, I hope you can breathe underwater, because that's going to make you sink like a millstone tied 'round your neck."
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yes, I intend to swim in this armor. Do not worry. It is designed for this task. And it just so happens that I can breathe underwater, thank you. I do not appreciate my intelligence or my integrity questioned. Do you want my help or not... sir?"

Fama is definitely a bit irritated but trying to not cause too much of a scene. Law and order are very important, after all.

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Smithers seems torn between rebuking you and apologizing. He at last simply says, "Well, then your plan is probably for the best.

Sascha, I'd like to have you in my boat so I can take responsibility for you. I know you can handle yourself, but as the commanding officer, I have to make sure the civilians come back safe. We shove off in 15 minutes.
    "
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Fama nods stiffy. "If you don't mind, Sir Smithers, I'm going to dive in and get accustomed to the water once more. It's been a while since I last swam."

Turning to Sascha she clasps her shoulder hard.

"Do not fret. We will put this beast down and solve this problem promptly. I will fight them so long as you do. You have my word."

She gives Sascha a crooked grin, pulled askew by the scar tissue on her cheek, then turns and walks calmly into the river until the water is above her head. For the moment, she contents herself with simply walking along the bottom, occasionally looking up to see if the boats are departing.

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

OOC: I'm going to be on a train traveling across the country for the next 2-3 days. I don't anticipate having wireless, so please NPC Sascha until I get back. I have re-prepared Sascha's spell list for the day in advance on her character sheet.

"Thank you," Sascha acknowledges Fama. "I guess I'll see you out there."

After Fama has left, she asks Smithers if the Watch keeps any wands of healing for use in such emergencies.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

"We don't usually keep them on hand, as we don't really have many spellcasters on the force. We don't really have time to requisition one at the moment either... We've got to get on the water quickly while the conditions are still favorable and that monstrous beaver hasn't hurt anyone."
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

20. - Top - End - #20

Disappointed, Sascha's lips wrinkle to one side like a displeased rabbit. "It was just a thought." This was a mistake she would likely never make again, were she to survive. "Just let me tie up Greywind, Sergeant, and I guess I'll be ready whenever you are."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

He nods assent and heads down to the boats to see to their final preparations. By the time you have Greywind hobbled and secured, they are ready to depart.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Fama swims up to the surface and easily moves upriver as the boats depart. She swims alongside the boat and calls out to Sascha.

"If it comes to combat, don't worry about healing me. The Mistress tends to my injuries. See to yourself. I wouldn't want that pretty face damaged."

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

You head out in the boats upriver, traveling a good 30 minutes before seeing the first beavers. These first few are just normal beavers busy building small dams, so your group ignores them for the moment. Smithers pulls out a small map and makes notes of their location and activity, then he touches a small crystal on his temple, apparently sending some sort of message, and then returns the map to its pouch at his belt.

Not too long after you pass the damns, Fama spots an ambush laying in wait beneath the water. Four dire beavers and a horrid monstrosity of a beaver, likely the same one Sascha saw the other day, have taken up positions on the bottom of the river and are preparing to launch themselves up at the boats... Thanks to Fama's lucky roll sharp eyes, you know what's coming and can ready yourselves before they attack. You have one full round before they try to surprise your boats.

The Watchmen seem to have changed tactics some since Sascha last ventured out with them. The man closest to the prow on each ship tosses out a heavy anchor to keep the boats relatively stationary and pointed upstream, freeing up every person to fight. They then take up defensive positions with their weapons around the edges of the boats, ready to strike the moment a beaver breaches the surface.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Fama draws her spiked chain from its resting place around her hips. True it wasn't the most effective weapon to use underwater, but it was her only weapon on hand. Perhaps she'd have to change it out for something, a nice scourge perhaps. Ah, yes, that would make Mistress happy.

Grasping hold of the side of the boat, she readies herself for combat, making herself clearly visible and delaying until the beavers act.

"This is going to be fun."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative - (1d20+2)[12]

Trophies and Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25

"Nice spotting, Fama," acknowledges Sascha. "Watch the big one. I'll deal with the small ones."

Like a deranged woman, Sascha makes her way towards the front of Smithers' boat and takes out her cue stick. She feels its comfortable, familiar grip, the slight flex and give of the stick along its length. One long breath for her to open her wild heart, and mutter a blessing. Then, leaning over the prow, she raises the implement of her mastery high, and strikes the water's surface hard and flat.

The resulting thwack is not the sound of a willow branch. Rather, it is the sound of a beaver's tail striking water - a sound that the abomination had probably never made in the past day, and might no longer be capable of making.

Sascha was certain it wouldn't affect the big one, except maybe as a challenge. That abomination was beyond current hope. But even the large beavers were only strange, and not wrong; the priestess hoped to awaken them to the truth, or at least the doubt, that there was still a difference between the two.

And if that doubt bought the Watchmen even a few heartbeats' worth of the beavers' hesitation, then it was well worth a shot, principles aside...

Spoiler
    Show
    [Calm animals affecting (2d4+6)[11] HD of dire beavers, no two more than 30 ft. apart. Will DC 15 negates.]
    [And the inevitable Balance check: (1d20+1)[3]]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    No balance check at the moment. The boats aren't being rocked by combat.

The spell affects 3 of the 4 dire beavers. The largest beaver isn't the same "kind", so it has no chance of being affected, regardless of its creature type.

Will - (1d20+4)[19]
    Will - (1d20+4)[8]
    Will - (1d20+4)[17]
    One of the dire beavers seems to lose interest in the boats, but the other three seem to be following the largest one among them almost instinctively.

Spoiler: Initiative Order/Group combat info
    Show
    19 - Sascha
    14 - Smithers
    12 - Fama
    7 - Beavers
    6 - 3 Watchmen on your boat

Watchmen not on your boat will have their combat resolved separately.

When I DM combat for groups of people, I ask everyone to post their actions. I'll then go back and resolve all actions in initiative order. So, if you haven't posted for a round, go ahead and post. You don't have to wait and post in order.
    Last edited by Rizban; 2015-04-08 at 11:55 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

27. - Top - End - #27

Sascha reacts with dismay as she sees the figures start to move beneath the water. "...Not good...not good," Sascha evaluates. The bonds of family were strong. Nothing she could do about that now.

Kneeling on the prow, she gestures with her cue stick to several places along the waters' surface just past where the anchors had been thrown.

Spoiler
    Show
    Trading call lightning for summon nature's ally III for (1d3)[2] crocodiles appearing at the beginning of the next round, pending possible Concentration checks.
    For my own reference, crocs have +4 Str, +4 Con from Augment Summoning - attacks at +8 to hit for bite 1d8+9 & improved grab @ grapple mod +8, or tail slap 1d12+9. 28 hp, AC 15.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Sascha begins casting her spell.

Smithers mutters something in frustration, pulls out a smallish wand, focuses over it a moment, and touches each of the people in the boat.
    "I can't believe I forgot to do that... New tactics." He calls out to the other two boats to remind them to activate their water breathing.

Fama continues to delay, wishing to give her opponents proper time to prepare for battle.

The largest beaver leads the charge, targeting the boat on your left. Two of the dire beavers target your boat, and the third targets the boat to your right. The last one swims up to the surface and over to the shoreline.
    Rather than attacking the boat itself, the two dire beavers break the surface on either side of the boat as if to attack the people on board. Fama gains an AoO, though the three Watchmen get their readied attacks first. The two Watchmen on the left side of the boat strike true with their thrown harpoons, but the beaver manages to avoid them sticking in its flesh. Unfortunately, the Watchman on the right gets nervous and misses with his throw.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Masterwork Harpoon – (1d20+4)[20] – (1d10+3)[12]+2
    Beaver - Reflex - (1d20+6)[26]

Masterwork Harpoon – (1d20+4)[23] – (1d10+3)[11]+2
    Beaver - Reflex - (1d20+6)[25]

Masterwork Harpoon – (1d20+4)[13] – (1d10+3)[9]+2
    Beaver - Reflex - (1d20+6)[24]

Edit: Forgot the +2 from Favored Enemy.

Spoiler
    Show
    Watchman - (1d20+3)[15] vs DC10 to Aid
    Watchman - (1d20+3)[7]
    Beaver - (1d20+3)[4]

Watchman - (1d20+3)[18]
    Beaver - (1d20+3)[7]

Last edited by Rizban; 2015-04-09 at 02:07 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

The Watchmen draw in their harpoons and throw again.
    Masterwork Harpoon – (1d20+8)[22] – (1d10+3)[5]+2
    Masterwork Harpoon – (1d20+8)[14] – (1d10+3)[9]+2
    Masterwork Harpoon – (1d20+8)[26] – (1d10+3)[7]+2

One of the Watchmen on the left manages to lodge the harpoon into the dire beaver, but the other misses as the animal thrashes in the water. It looks severely wounded.
    The Watchman on the right also manages to harpoon the dire beaver on his side. Things seem to be going rather well.

End of the Round
    Last edited by Rizban; 2015-04-09 at 02:10 PM.
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    And forgot the Reflex saves...

Reflex - (1d20+6)[14]
    Reflex - (1d20+6)[14]
    Reflex - (1d20+6)[9]
    Show

Character Repository
    Homebrew List