New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Schlock Mercenary V: You're Missing Something Wonderful

How exactly would Red-REO be corrupted, and how did Captain Polar Bear interposing his arm stop that?
    Before you ask, I didn't know what it meant when I put it in my username. Do NOT ask.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Orc in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Presumably if the entire body is vaporized the backup will be rather hard to use. It seems to me that there was a big explosion, which vaporized her head, but her body was not completely vaporized since some of the blast was used up getting through the giant bear arm.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhallicWarrior View Post
    How exactly would Red-REO be corrupted, and how did Captain Polar Bear interposing his arm stop that?
    Fire, since anything mechanical (i.e. shrapnel, gravy guns) wouldn't hurt RED nanostructures very much. Plasma would work too.
    Last edited by Thomar_of_Uointer; 2015-04-25 at 11:54 PM.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

4. - Top - End - #364
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Thomar_of_Uointer View Post
    Fire, since anything mechanical (i.e. shrapnel, gravy guns) wouldn't hurt RED nanostructures very much. Plasma would work too.
    Or not being able to find all the pieces.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ogre in the Playground

I had the impression they were a bit more efficient and their data storage has a lot of redundancy so that one scrap of skin tissue would contain all the data necessary to completely reconstruct the person. Isn't the whole purpose of these nanobots to give you immortality no matter how much damage you suffer? If you lose a year of your life from losing your head and your upraised hand it doesn't sound like such a great technology.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    I had the impression they were a bit more efficient and their data storage has a lot of redundancy so that one scrap of skin tissue would contain all the data necessary to completely reconstruct the person. Isn't the whole purpose of these nanobots to give you immortality no matter how much damage you suffer? If you lose a year of your life from losing your head and your upraised hand it doesn't sound like such a great technology.
    It could be some of the data storage efficiency got lost in the deweaponization process for some reason. That or the average mind has a /lot/ of data to store.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Titan in the Playground

Schlock is nothing but a redundant pile of back-up brain tissue, and even him can loose bits of memories if his body gets damaged enough. Humans, who need to use the rest of their bodies for functions other than memory back-up, won't have nearly as much "free space" left once regular liver, lung, hair growth functions, etc. are accounted for. Therefore, the nanites do their best, but can't back-up the entire brain.

(I wouldn't get too nit-picky about the physics of it, or the available storage space. Them's the rules the author has chosen to ensure death continues to loom over the main characters).

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2015-04-26 at 08:57 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

8. - Top - End - #368
    Troll in the Playground

However efficient those nannies would be, there are still two words that would mean the end of life for anyone: monoatomic vapor.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Schlock is nothing but a redundant pile of back-up brain tissue, and even him can loose bits of memories if his body gets damaged enough. Humans, who need to use the rest of their bodies for functions other than memory back-up, won't have nearly as much "free space" left once regular liver, lung, hair growth functions, etc. are accounted for. Therefore, the nanites do their best, but can't back-up the entire brain.

(I wouldn't get too nit-picky about the physics of it, or the available storage space. Them's the rules the author has chosen to ensure death continues to loom over the main characters).

Grey Wolf
    I would think the best plan would be something like a hologram, where when you lose bits, the whole thing gets fuzzier, but you don't lose any of the main features. As you say, for story reasons that may not be what happens.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr View Post
    Spoilers for A Feast of Crows

Spoiler
    Show
    She actually comes back to life near the end of A Feast of Crows. Dondarrion gave her his Flame-life so he could finally die for good.
    Spoiler
    Show
    What he said doesn't actually spoil what you're talking about, speaking as someone who's progressed far enough to watch Lady Stark die, but not read far enough to know she's coming back. His was a spoiler that only went up to the red wedding in Storm of Swords.
    Last edited by Godskook; 2015-04-27 at 01:45 AM.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

11. - Top - End - #371
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Interesting. Looks like Bala-Amin and Captain Landon aren't fully aware of how powerful the nannies the Toughs have in them are, judging from their reaction to the news about Murtaugh being alive.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    What he said doesn't actually spoil what you're talking about, speaking as someone who's progressed far enough to watch Lady Stark die, but not read far enough to know she's coming back. His was a spoiler that only went up to the red wedding in Storm of Swords.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, but he was naming Cathelyn as an example of "a character who dies and doesnt come back".

Which is definety NOT the case anymore. In fact, Cathelyn is a rather impressive exception

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, but he was naming Cathelyn as an example of "a character who dies and doesnt come back".

Which is definety NOT the case anymore. In fact, Cathelyn is a rather impressive exception
    Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, that is exactly what I was getting at. She is a counter example to Ned, she is dead but active.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Interesting. Looks like Bala-Amin and Captain Landon aren't fully aware of how powerful the nannies the Toughs have in them are, judging from their reaction to the news about Murtaugh being alive.
    Humanity was mortal mere weeks prior. Give them a couple centuries, they'll get used to it.

15. - Top - End - #375

BlackDragon

Something about this situation has got me confused now. We know from the last couple of strips that Murtaugh got killed by Kowalski's "going-away present". However, in the strip from 29th March, we see Murtaugh alive and well aboard the battleplate Popigai, six hours after Kowalski has been captured. How does that work?

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ogre in the Playground

Something about this situation has got me confused now. We know from the last couple of strips that Murtaugh got killed by Kowalski's "going-away present". However, in the strip from 29th March, we see Murtaugh alive and well aboard the battleplate Popigai, six hours after Kowalski has been captured. How does that work?
    He booby-trapped his rooms before he left?

17. - Top - End - #377
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

He booby-trapped his rooms before he left?
    I'd assume exactly that, and guessed it earlier. Kowalski was whimsical, but with a mean streak a mile wide. Booby-trapping bits of the battleplate, to disrupt and confuse potential pursuers or just because, would be 100% in character.
    Spinnin' that Disc...

18. - Top - End - #378
    Bugbear in the Playground

The confusion comes from Admiral Emm's specific ship not really being named yet as it hasn't been finished yet. However, the AI answers to Gus, which would mean the battleplate is intended to be a second Tunguska, to replace the one lost in Zoojack. The Popigai seems to be both Bala-Amin's new ride and the ship used to transport them to the Tunguska, where they're throwing a Boarding Party, and one would assume that Murtaugh's demise was an "Explosive Revelation".

The part that's baffling to me is the Tunguska/Jumpstar Prime is a Triangle, and I thought they were negotiating for a Penta-class. Am I just brainfarting on geometry in my sleepiness?
    My Homebrew
    A Return to Exile, a homebrew campaign setting.
    Under Construction: Skills revamp for the Campaign Setting. I need to make a new index thread.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Norren View Post
    The part that's baffling to me is the Tunguska/Jumpstar Prime is a Triangle, and I thought they were negotiating for a Penta-class. Am I just brainfarting on geometry in my sleepiness?
    We don't know that the Jumpstar Prime is a Triangle, for one thing. The only hull shot we have is here, which doesn't give us enough to say for certainty that there aren't two more annie-plants just outside of the field of view.

Second, they wanted the fabber capacity of a penta-class plate. It is entirely plausible that you could cram that into a triangle if you pulled a lot of the extremely heavy gravitics and/or weapons, which would make a lot of sense from the UNS point of view - better to lose an undersized and obsolescent ship than a new model, and better not to give a largely unknown new galactic power quite so much warship. From the Oafan side, they weren't buying a warship, they were buying a factory, so they don't care so much about how well their factory can shoot things.

20. - Top - End - #380

I have read the entire story from the beginning and..

Do you feel that its no longer Schlock Mercenary?

Its Schlock Standing Oafan Military

Its Schlock Galactiv Power Brokers

21. - Top - End - #381
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

They're still mercenaries - taking money to break things and kill people. The stakes they operate on have gone up immensely since the beginning, but that's just plot progression (and maybe a bit of Cerberus Syndrome).

22. - Top - End - #382
    Troll in the Playground

Well, it certainly has a lot less of that "freewheeling adventure" feel to it, I'd agree.

And I suppose that's why the timing of the "Planet Mercenary" (argh) RPG is what it is -- "get that exciting new-neutronium smell back with your own adventures!" etc. etc.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

They are still Mercenaries, they are just competent enough to have been hired by Really Rich clientel, who have payed them in technology that gives them the ability to more or less be a standing military.

Tagon's Toughs have effectively grown from "Firefly" level one ship, small group..to "Atlas Corp" well armed levels, mostly out of necessity of the enemies they have made along the way of the plot, else they would be under the thumb of every Emm and Xinub that show up to screw them.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnoman View Post
    We don't know that the Jumpstar Prime is a Triangle, for one thing. The only hull shot we have is here, which doesn't give us enough to say for certainty that there aren't two more annie-plants just outside of the field of view.
    Well, there is this view. There are three plates in that shot, all of them triangles.
    Witty sig here nosey, aren't ya?

25. - Top - End - #385

STOP

Time-out!

Captain Andreyasn?!

Kevyn has been promoted?! What is he Captain of?!

26. - Top - End - #386
    Troll in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Captain of Science!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenflame133 View Post
    So what do you think? What is best use for Signatures?
    To curate my brilliance and wit, of course. Any other use is a waste.

27. - Top - End - #387

STOP

Time-out!

Captain Andreyasn?!

Cindercone. You can see the lightning bolts.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

28. - Top - End - #388

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    Also, the Toughs are more of a ground-based force than a naval one, so a captain doesn't need to be in command of a ship--Murtaugh still seems to be a captain despite having lost her command, for instance.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

STOP

Time-out!

Captain Andreyasn?!

Oh, only 11 Years ago at this point.

Spoiler
    Show
    If I did not do that, someone else would have

30. - Top - End - #390
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ryuplaneswalker View Post
    Oh, only 11 Years ago at this point.

Spoiler
    Show
    If I did not do that, someone else would have
    Well, that was during an alternate timeline that didn't survive the Core war. In the timeline where Kevyn prime was warned about Tagon's death, he hadn't been promoted to Captain yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.