New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Is there any reason to delay an action?

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Delay

By choosing to delay, you take no action and then act normally on whatever initiative count you decide to act. When you delay, you voluntarily reduce your own initiative result for the rest of the combat. When your new, lower initiative count comes up later in the same round, you can act normally. You can specify this new initiative result or just wait until some time later in the round and act then, thus fixing your new initiative count at that point.

You never get back the time you spend waiting to see what’s going to happen. You can’t, however, interrupt anyone else’s action (as you can with a readied action).
    Initiative Consequences of Delaying

Your initiative result becomes the count on which you took the delayed action. If you come to your next action and have not yet performed an action, you don’t get to take a delayed action (though you can delay again).

If you take a delayed action in the next round, before your regular turn comes up, your initiative count rises to that new point in the order of battle, and you do not get your regular action that round.
    Is there any sane reason to sit back and do nothing in combet?
    Last edited by With a box; 2015-03-21 at 11:34 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Is there any reason to use delay an action?

Yes.
    Setting up for sneak attack.
    Letting the casters set up some control or nuke the chaff.
    Waiting to see who the BBEG hit to drop a heal.
    Timing for counter spells.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Is there any reason to delay an action?

• Wait for the casters to buff you before attacking
    • Wait for the enemies to come into range before charging
    • Waiting for the wizard to fire off his big area spell before entering melee

I could go on. Basically, there are lots of times when you'd prefer to go after another member of your party.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGirl

I've pretty often used delayed actions for ambush attacks as ranged characters.
    If I say anything particularly rude, let me know! I can be an unintentionally terse person sometimes despite the walls of text.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    Setting up for sneak attack.
    I think what Vizzerdrix means is waiting for one of your allies to engage an enemy in melee combat, then getting into a flanking position opposite that ally. Flanking enables sneak attack.

Lots of people keep suggesting Improved Initiative as a good feat for Rogues. I think it's a terrible feat, because you'll just end up Delaying longer waiting for your allies to get into position.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    I think what Vizzerdrix means is waiting for one of your allies to engage an enemy in melee combat, then getting into a flanking position opposite that ally. Flanking enables sneak attack.
    Yeah what he said.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Any enemy that hasn't acted in the first round is considered flat-footed.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by PaucaTerrorem View Post
    Any enemy that hasn't acted in the first round is considered flat-footed.
    Which means that the opponent will probably be denied their dex to AC. That's the important bit for SA, flat-footed is actually irrelevant.
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.- Benjamin Franklin

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Evelyn Beatrice Hall

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

As a caster, to wait and see if you really need to cast that last spell or if your teammates are about to finish off your target anyways.

As a Warblade or Crusader, to use White Raven Tactics on someone you rolled higher initiative than.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Lots of people keep suggesting Improved Initiative as a good feat for Rogues. I think it's a terrible feat, because you'll just end up Delaying longer waiting for your allies to get into position.
    Unless you're unable to attack at first round, this doesn't hold much water.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    The reason Pun-Pun doesn't work is because he doesn't have to. He can just sit around all day and let his wishes do the work for him.

11. - Top - End - #11

Well on the subject of Rogues and imp initiative vs holding an action,
    Sure, a rogue with there often crazy dex with that feat will have something like +9-15 on there roll to see who goes first, but that means that the surprise round did not happen more often then not. That means that your rogue is now in the middle of enemy lines, maybe even surrounded, and in a very bad place since your casters cant aoe as well now as they may hit you. While ranged sneak attack is an option, (deepwood sniper comes to mind if I remember right) Rogues are often played best observing the situation and making tactical decisions to make "sure" the battle goes the parties way.

This play style at least involves a whole lot of action holding, or positioning, otherwise you will just be the corpse :P

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

There's also an oft not used method (Although I think this is holding action rather than delaying, but really they should be the same thing): waiting until your opponents declare an attack, or move. This way you can decide "Do I want to fight defensively, or strike with reckless abandon, because they aren't going to attack me?"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    Timing for counter spells.
    Counterspelling does not work with delay action. You need ready action for that.
    Delay action only lets you set your initiative check to a certain lower result. Delay action even explictly prohibits interrupting:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    You can’t, however, interrupt anyone else’s action (as you can with a readied action).
    So you will either act before or after the caster. Neither works with counterspelling.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eloel View Post
    Unless you're unable to attack at first round, this doesn't hold much water.
    OK, then, explain how Improved Initiative is good for a Rogue.

In the surprise round the Rogue isn't surprised because of maxed Spot skill. Wielding a bow, the Rogue gets to pick among various flat-footed opponents, and adds sneak attack damage to one ranged attack.

In the first regular round of combat the Rogue continues to choose among flat-footed opponents, adding sneak attack damage to every shot of their ranged full attack. Having good DEX boosts initiative some. It's not necessary to act particularly early; it's only necessary to act while there's at least one enemy still flat-footed.

In the second regular round of combat the Rogue no longer has flat-footed enemies, so it's time for flanking. If there's already an ally engaging an enemy in melee, the Rogue can move to a flanking position and get one melee attack with sneak attack damage added. If allies have worse initiative and haven't closed for melee combat yet the Rogue can Delay.

The difference in d20 rolls could be up to +/- 19, and +4 from Improved Initiative isn't nearly enough to offset really bad rolls. Nearly all of the time the Rogue gets to add sneak attack damage without needing Improved Initiative.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

It's not necessary to act particularly early; it's only necessary to act while there's at least one enemy still flat-footed.
    If your goal is just "get Sneak Attack on someone, anyone," then sure, that works fine. If your goal is "get Sneak Attack on specific high-priority targets, hopefully focusing fire with the rest of the party," then the higher your initiative is, the better chance you have of being able to target the best possible enemy.

Rogues are feat-starved enough that I'm not going to argue that Improved Init is a fantastic use of a feat (it takes a very restrictive book environment for it to be the best possible use of a feat slot, more often than not—we're not in disagreement there), but it's still in your best interest to go as early as you can and therefore to get your pick of whatever target you like. This is usually handled better by init-boosting items than by init-boosting feats, but still, Improved Init does have enough of an effect that I wouldn't look down on a Rogue for taking it, even if I don't think it's necessarily the strongest choice for a feat.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

You can delay so you can go sooner in the initiative order, you just pick where you want to be in the initiative order, but to delay to a spot earlier than your original one you effectively have to give up your turn and then you start your next turn at that new initiative position. You keep that place unless there's another change in initiative from someone delaying or whatnot. I don't know much utility you can get from that but it's always an option.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

* Waiting for the enemies to enter your threatened area and draw some AoOs, _then_ using your own action to full-attack these enemies.
    Rather than spending half your turn to move into range, attack a single enemy once, then have the enemies attack you without drawing any AoOs.
    Last edited by Firechanter; 2015-03-22 at 03:28 PM.
    Let me give you a brief rundown of an average Post-3E Era fight: You attack an enemy and start kicking his shins. He then starts kicking your shins, then you take it in turns kicking until one of you falls over. It basically comes down to who started the battle with the biggest boot, and the only strategy involved is realizing when things have gone tits up and legging it.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Firechanter View Post
    * Waiting for the enemies to enter your threatened area and draw some AoOs, _then_ using your own action to full-attack these enemies.
    Rather than spending half your turn to move into range, attack a single enemy once, then have the enemies attack you without drawing any AoOs.
    [Nitpick]Entering a threatened area doesn't provoke an AoO, leaving one does.[/Nitpick]
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.- Benjamin Franklin

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Evelyn Beatrice Hall

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Sure, but you know what I mean. ^^
    Let me give you a brief rundown of an average Post-3E Era fight: You attack an enemy and start kicking his shins. He then starts kicking your shins, then you take it in turns kicking until one of you falls over. It basically comes down to who started the battle with the biggest boot, and the only strategy involved is realizing when things have gone tits up and legging it.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

I delay and ready actions (readying all of your actions is better than delaying, in my opinion, because you can interrupt enemies if you word it right) all the time. Standoffs lead to great readied actions.
    What time is it?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LooseCannoneer View Post
    I delay and ready actions (readying all of your actions is better than delaying, in my opinion, because you can interrupt enemies if you word it right) all the time. Standoffs lead to great readied actions.
    You can only ready a standard or a move action. All your actions can only be delayed.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by nyjastul69 View Post
    [Nitpick]Entering a threatened area doesn't provoke an AoO, leaving one does.[/Nitpick]
    Wonder how that works IRL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

It does not. The world is not divided into 5 ft squares.

24. - Top - End - #24

PaladinGuy

You could charge or otherwise get sneak attack for attacking a flatfooted foe. For reasons other people mentioned (being surrounded by bad guys without the fighter types to distract them) this is often a bad idea. However, if you have Spring Attack, a reach weapon, or another mechanism of limiting your exposure to being swarmed, it can still be a good plan. That is even more true if you are a multiclassed rogue and your defenses are basically indistinguishable from the fighter or barbarian.

Another way that rogues can take advantage of high initiative/flatfooted foes without risking being surrounded is to get their high initiative start of combat sneak attacks on ranged attacks. A rogue with a shortbow (or a longbow+rapid shot if they took a two-level dip into ranger) in hand (or a dagger (returning if you want to use it in melee next round) can drop sneak attacks on flatfooted enemies from range then move into the flank with the fighter type on the next round.

Also, WRT Improved Initiative, while it doesn't necessarily mean you will win if you roll a 1 and the opponent rolls a 20 (1/400 chance), it is roughly similar to rolling twice and taking the better result if you and your opponent would otherwise have the same bonus. If I recall my D&D minis days correctly, I think they both work out to a 66-75% chance of winning initiative against that one foe. In ordinary D&D/Pathfinder, where (at least RAW) every foe rolls init separately, it will have a pretty significant impact on your chance of beating every foe on initiative too though there are too many variables (number of opponents, their initiative mods, your init mod, etc) to reduce it to a single number. Mathematically, however, your odds of beating everyone go down exponentially with the number of opponents so small numerical increases in your individual odds have a major impact on reducing that decrease. It should function much the same way that your odds of making all of your "make or break" saving throws (which you really want to do) go dramatically down when you start failing them on a 2 and each increment they decrease has an increasingly detrimental impact on your odds of making all your important saves.
    Last edited by Elder_Basilisk; 2015-03-24 at 11:15 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    It does not.
    Not with that attitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    The reason Pun-Pun doesn't work is because he doesn't have to. He can just sit around all day and let his wishes do the work for him.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Elder_Basilisk View Post
    Another way that rogues can take advantage of high initiative/flatfooted foes without risking being surrounded is to get their high initiative start of combat sneak attacks on ranged attacks. A rogue with a shortbow (or a longbow+rapid shot if they took a two-level dip into ranger) in hand (or a dagger (returning if you want to use it in melee next round) can drop sneak attacks on flatfooted enemies from range then move into the flank with the fighter type on the next round.
    Yes, that works. It also works without Improved Initiative. With the bonus from the feat (+4) much smaller than the dice variation (+/- 19), there's not much chance that II will make the difference to let you attack some particular foe when they're still flat-footed. Instead, you might get one random extra flat-footed target to choose among. Because you're not going to get ideal choices all the time, the feat (to my mind) isn't worth taking. You'll almost always get some choice of flat-footed foes with or without the feat, and dealing enough extra damage to kill some enemy muscle before they've got a chance to act (because you've got Craven instead of Improved Initiative) is better than a small increase in the chance of being able to damage (but probably not kill) the ideal target.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

It depends upon the game, or situation.

If encounters are ambushes (on the party), or simple meeting engagements, then delaying is rarely useful.

If encounters develop over a number of rounds then delaying may be useful since more information will be available if you wait before you act.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' — Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook
    Warped Druid Handbook