New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default GM for PF with questions about mounted combat and seeking advice for alternatives

Hey there! I am GMing a campaign that has a mounted NPC character that will be following/helping the player (this is a solo campaign) and since the player is a melee combatant I had the idea to make this character a ranged attacker (probably with a bow). But there are a couple things the books don't make very clear about the rules and I'd like it to be cleared up if possible.

Firstly, does it still provoke attacks of opportunity when making a ranged attack in a threatened square whilst mounted?

Secondly, when an enemy attacks you, is he forced to attack the mount instead of you? if not, does he get any penalties when trying to attack you instead of the mount?

Thirdly, are there any cover bonuses applied when on a mount in relation to someone who isn't (you are mounted and your enemy is not, for instance).

I would also like some advice on ways to make the mounted system a bit more functional, as I have heard from around the net that mounted combat is very broken in 3.5/PF, and I have experienced this broken-ness firsthand as a player alongside another player who could pull off 3 attacks in one round at first level thanks to mounts and their riders being able to both attack at once. I would like some suggestions for house rules that could balance it out a bit.
    Last edited by DarkHarlequinn7; 2015-03-23 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Grammar

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: GM for PF with questions about mounted combat and seeking advice for alternatives

Quote Originally Posted by DarkHarlequinn7 View Post
    Hey there! I am GMing a campaign that has a mounted NPC character that will be following/helping the player (this is a solo campaign) and since the player is a melee combatant I had the idea to make this character a ranged attacker (probably with a bow). But there are a couple things the books don't make very clear about the rules and I'd like it to be cleared up if possible.

Firstly, does it still provoke attacks of opportunity when making a ranged attack in a threatened square whilst mounted?
    Yes.

Secondly, when an enemy attacks you, is he forced to attack the mount instead of you?
    Nope.

if not, does he get any penalties when trying to attack you instead of the mount?
    Not that I'm aware of.

Thirdly, are there any cover bonuses applied when on a mount in relation to someone who isn't (you are mounted and your enemy is not, for instance).
    +1 to melee attacks for being on higher ground.

I would also like some advice on ways to make the mounted system a bit more functional, as I have heard from around the net that mounted combat is very broken in 3.5/PF, and I have experienced this broken-ness firsthand as a player alongside another player who could pull off 3 attacks in one round at first level thanks to mounts and their riders being able to both attack at once. I would like some suggestions for house rules that could balance it out a bit.
    Got nothing here, I always heard mounted combat was weak.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: GM for PF with questions about mounted combat and seeking advice for alternatives

As you've seen, mounted combat can be powerful, especially with a Mount rather than just a mount.
    It's also subject to some unfortunate limitations. The most common limitation is terrain. If the mount can't charge then feats like Spirited Charge are useless. Also, when charging the mount+rider gets one attack from the rider, not two or more from both. Mounted combat, unless you play Small races, are generally at a disadvantage indoors since your average dungeon has a lot of 5' wide corridors, which makes charging impossible and general movement a hassle.
    If people use normal horses rather than animal companions/special mounts then the problem solves itself because they are really squishy after a couple levels.
    Mounted combat can be powerful but remember that you are using feats on that which you could use to make yourself

However, I don't really think you need to do anything to 'fix' anything. Yes, a mount can be powerful at lower levels, often more powerful than a mundane combatant with PC levels, but that evens out later. This is also a solo campaign, and a powerful ally can spell the difference between life and death. At low levels a lucky roll is all that's needed to put the PC out of action, and with a mount he has a chance of surviving where he'd be at the mercy of the enemy otherwise. If you think the PC+mount is powerful you can always increase the difficulty of the encounters a bit. Remember, overpoweredness is relative, and here there isn't anything for the PC to be overpowered compared to except opponents (and you can easily fix that).
    Lastly, always make animal companions, special mounts, familiars etc. characters (not PCs but having character) in their own right. Give them personality and quirks and you have another member of the party to interact with.