New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: OOTS #979 - The Discussion Thread

None of the Gnomeland Security gnomes actually died, though.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Halfling in the Playground

ClericGuy

So... perfect.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am a:

Lawful Good Human Wizard (4th Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 10
    Dexterity- 11
    Constitution- 13
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 13
    Charisma- 11

What D&D character are you?

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Well that's an extremely useful bluff/diplomacy attempt right there.

Go team Haley/Crystal?

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

4. - Top - End - #214
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Storywise a very nice installment, but artwise, especially on a second read through, I feel that the level of copypasta (esp. running Crystals & Haleys) is a bit jarring. It's most blatant when you compare the Haleys in panel 9 of page 1 and in panel 3 of page 2.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

Wherein Bozzok and Grubwiggler discover the downside to intelligent constructs: Susceptibility to social skills.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mouser9169 View Post
    <other spouse>'s ship has sailed. V is a 100% free and free-willed elf. As an added bonus Sabine can be whatever V wants her to be in the bedroom, so V's gender and orientation can remain a mystery.

Vabine shippers unite!
    Much as "Vabine" makes me chuckle, I don't think that "being whatever V wants her to be in the bedroom" is actually much of a selling point for the elf, who seems to have zero interest in sex.

The only thing V wants a partner to be in the bedroom is "quiet, so I can finish reading this ancient tome on spells before I trance."
    Last edited by Bulldog Psion; 2015-03-29 at 05:25 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

7. - Top - End - #217
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IamWeasel View Post
    I liked this comic a lot, as much as I liked running through the gnomes shop.

There are a few things I would like to point out that I saw. First off Crystal golem is hastened. She is going as fast as Haley, keeping up with her at max speed. I have seen it suggested that Haley was slowing to let Crystal keep up but she wasn't because Crystal was doing that on her own. Haley took her to waters edge to keep get her as far from others as possible and only stopped because she knew her boots were done. In line 3 of panel 2 you can vaguely see the magic of the boots dissipating. She had to succeed or die there because without the boots she could not have outrun Crystal again.
    Crystal, when running, shouted separate words. It's consistent with her talking style when she isn't running, but it's also consistent with, well, how talking when running works.
    Haley spoke in complete sentences without losing breath. It's consistent with Rich's habit of ignoring certain points of realism, but it's also consistent with her deliberately going slower to 1) not lose Crystal (so she doesn't get ideas like taking gnomes hostage again); 2) be able to talk to her. And I'm choosing that because 1) realism; 2) more awesome.
    It also makes sense to be on narrative level that Haley would be able to outrun Crystal on flat ground, making her faster when they are both equally hastened, too. I imagine her daily life entails a lot more running than Crystal's, her being an urban assassin.

Quote Originally Posted by Amphiox View Post
    Of all the awesome that Haley demonstrates in this strip, it all starts with a small bit of awesome at the beginning, when she brought out the knife to distract Crystal and lure her into breaking the grapple. If she hadn't done that, she'd never have had to chance to do any of the other stuff, and I think she'd be in the lineup at Arcadia right around now....

And that too counts as a use of Charisma in battle - understanding the importance of that object to Crystal and how to use it to alter Crystal's behavior. And so a weapon that one would have thought was useless in this fight, because it did not have enough bonuses to overcome the enemy's damage resistance, is made critically useful after all, thanks to high CHA.

(And perhaps we also get a hint about how Haley and Elan got attracted to one another in the first place. Elan's CHA was explicitly shown to be through the roof early on, but there was no direct mention of Haley's, but subsequent events have shown that she too must have a high score in that stat, making it something they would have shared in common from the get-go).
    Yeah. I wrote a bit upthread about how I thought Haley used the knife to figure out how much of her former self Crystal retains and how much of free will / capacity for deviation from primary objective she has. It turned out to be enough to let her go in favor of the knife, showing Haley that there was a point in talking to her.

Quote Originally Posted by happycrow View Post
    "What have we learned from this comic, boys and girls?"

"Diplomancers are dangerous."

"Correct, class. Now, turn to page 23 of your Rogue's Guide..."
    Yes. Hell yes. Hell freaking yes.

Quote Originally Posted by mouser9169 View Post
    <other spouse>'s ship has sailed. V is a 100% free and free-willed elf. As an added bonus Sabine can be whatever V wants her to be in the bedroom, so V's gender and orientation can remain a mystery.

Vabine shippers unite!
    I still headcanon that that divorce paper was bait by V's spouse to get V to come back. A bait which would have worked if not for V's character development, making it a sad case of dramatic irony.

Also, not every meaningful relationship has to be exclusive/romantic in nature

Quote Originally Posted by jasonred79 View Post
    Food For Thought:

When Crystal was electrified, she became physically faster, and obviously her reaction time sped up too (otherwise she'd be tripping over her own feet) hence her mental state was sped up too.
    ... In other words... it's quite likely the electrification made her smarter as well as faster. Or at least sped up her brain synapses. (same dif?)

So... we all might have thought that the gnomes screwed Haley by firing that lightning, which might necesitate revenge via pranking them or something, but instead, it turns out that the gnomes were the only reason Crystal Golem was intelligent enough for Haley's complicated (for a golem) explanation to actually make sense to her! Thus, the families of the brave gnomes who died in the line of duty will likely find bags of gold under their beds left by a sneaky anonymous donor. ;)
    We already knew that Crystal isn't a regular golem - regular ones don't possess memories or self-awareness of their meat components - but this is a nice idea too!

Quote Originally Posted by Amphiox View Post
    Perhaps that Bastard Sword is a family heirloom, wielded once, long ago, by Bozzok's grandfather, whom he admired and worshipped as a little tyke....

Of whatever the equivalent of that kind of motivation might work for an evil character of Bozzok's type.
    I think this motivation should work just fine?
    Last edited by Liliet; 2015-03-29 at 05:52 AM.
    ava by me
    Where the hell have you been?
    Yes, sadly.
    Proud founder of Crystal's fanclub!

Spoiler
    Show
    Awesome smilies here. Thank you, HeeJay and Fawkes!

Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlawedParadigm View Post
    See, the reason I don't have to post much is people like Liliet exist to express nearly everything I want or need to.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    . Although I do find it immensely sad that she thinks she needs killing.
    Consider what "needs killing" means. Need is an active thing, there has to be somebody doing the needing.

In this case, it's obviously Bozzok (and Crystal, as his henchperson and Haley's nemesis). The statement parses as "We need to kill you". That's what Haley is agreeing to, and that's all; no need to read some huge subtext of angsty self-loathing into it, I'm pretty sure she grew out of that years ago.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

9. - Top - End - #219
    Pixie in the Playground

"Diplomancers are dangerous."
    I smell a new Erfworld magic discipline.

10. - Top - End - #220

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Wherein Bozzok and Grubwiggler discover the downside to intelligent constructs: Susceptibility to social skills.
    Yes ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Neoriceisgood View Post
    Well that's an extremely useful bluff/diplomacy attempt right there.

Go team Haley/Crystal?
    YES.

Also, no bluff there. No lies detected!

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    Consider what "needs killing" means. Need is an active thing, there has to be somebody doing the needing.

In this case, it's obviously Bozzok (and Crystal, as his henchperson and Haley's nemesis). The statement parses as "We need to kill you". That's what Haley is agreeing to, and that's all; no need to read some huge subtext of angsty self-loathing into it, I'm pretty sure she grew out of that years ago.
    Also, I think that was mostly humor.
    ava by me
    Yes, sadly.

Spoiler
    Show

See, the reason I don't have to post much is people like Liliet exist to express nearly everything I want or need to.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post

Yes, you're right, I believe. Plus, it's probably also, "yeah, yeah, I know you think that. Whatever. But ..."
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark

12. - Top - End - #222
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

That's not a bluff check. That's not really Diplomacy.

That's logic. And it's ironclad, airtight, and cogent enough that even Crystal can understand it.

Oh Bozzok, now you see the disadvantages of intelligent golems.

Remember all our discussion of whether or not Crystal deserves sympathy? It appears that Haley feels enough empathy for Crystal to put herself in Crystal's place and see things from her perspective. We all agreed (as far as I saw) that Bozzok was the real villain here. I think Crystal has come around to our viewpoint.

This is going to be a lot of fun to watch.

Mr. Giant, sir: well done. Slow clap.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Psion View Post
    The deaths of Bozzok and Grubwiggler will be quite satisfying.
    I dunno. The next plot twist may be the reveal that Grubwiggler feared that Bozzok would send Crystal after him - quite logically, I might add - and put in a back door control word that would let him override Crystal's commanding.

Which may not work if she's gone rogue (pun most definitely intended).

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    I wasn't expecting this because I honestly didn't think it would work. But this was amazing, and so is Haley. Although I do find it immensely sad that she thinks she needs killing.
    The life of a D&D adventurer. Remember the Adult Black Dragon and Vaarsuvius? You go from place to place defeating foes who (arguably) need killing, their friends and family view YOU as someone who needs killing.

Haley is showing her ability to put herself in Crystal's boots, nothing more.
    Last edited by Shining Wrath; 2015-03-29 at 08:19 AM.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

13. - Top - End - #223
    Dwarf in the Playground

What do you guys think that Bozzok was doing the moment crystal burst in... It looks to me like his dialogue line would have been "No, Grubby... this is how you wring a baby's neck"
    S&P is a comic I draw that's not as popular as this one.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Are you trying to imply that there is a better approach to combat than repeatedly hitting something in the face with a weapon over and over and over? Nonsense!
    Hey... HEY! I found the monster's secret weakness! Turns out it's weak to being killed!

15. - Top - End - #225
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ahdok View Post
    Hey... HEY! I found the monster's secret weakness! Turns out it's weak to being killed!
    For all the "save or suck" spells wizards can wield, "dead" remains the worst condition you can inflict on a foe.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

16. - Top - End - #226
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ahdok View Post
    The Fighter kills the monster. It's super effective!

Peelee’s Lotsey

17. - Top - End - #227

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post

That's logic. And it's ironclad, airtight, and cogent enough that even Crystal can understand it.
    The diplomacy check is the part where Haley, while being winded and scared, managed to word it coherently enough for Crystal to follow, and not anger her in process. Tone of voice played no small part it that too, I'd think. Talking to people isn't as simple as 'just logic' (which you know for a fact after enough internet debates), much less people who are
    1) in intense pain;
    2) currently trying to kill you.

Oh Bozzok, now you see the disadvantages of intelligent golems.
    Full agreement here, though.

Remember all our discussion of whether or not Crystal deserves sympathy? It appears that Haley feels enough empathy for Crystal to put herself in Crystal's place and see things from her perspective. We all agreed (as far as I saw) that Bozzok was the real villain here. I think Crystal has come around to our viewpoint.
    EMPATHY IS ALWAYS A GOOD THING AND ONE DOES NOT HAVE TO 'DESERVE' IT
    *exhales*
    come ooooon

This is going to be a lot of fun to watch.

Mr. Giant, sir: well done. Slow clap.
    Yes. Yes. Yes.

I dunno. The next plot twist may be the reveal that Grubwiggler feared that Bozzok would send Crystal after him - quite logically, I might add - and put in a back door control word that would let him override Crystal's commanding.

Which may not work if she's gone rogue (pun most definitely intended).
    Orrrr Haley can override/break it in some way. Like, if she cuts his throat he won't be able to talk, stuff like that. *innocent cute kid*

The life of a D&D adventurer. Remember the Adult Black Dragon and Vaarsuvius? You go from place to place defeating foes who (arguably) need killing, their friends and family view YOU as someone who needs killing.

Haley is showing her ability to put herself in Crystal's boots, nothing more.
    Yes.
    Also a morbid sense of humor that I fully approve of.
    ava by me
    Yes, sadly.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #228
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

Thumbs up Re: OOTS #979 - The Discussion Thread

Holy crap, that was an epic strip Hat tip, sir Burlew.
    EDIT: Hinjo is red-green colorblind. CANON.

19. - Top - End - #229

Quote Originally Posted by Dancingdeath View Post
    She likely has some kind of control phrase or fail safe built in but it'd be so fitting.
    I'd expect Grubwiggler to put emergency overrides in all his golems so they can't be used against him. Which could get interesting if Bozzok tries to shift the blame onto Grubby.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

20. - Top - End - #230

Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    I'd expect Grubwiggler to put emergency overrides in all his golems so they can't be used against him. Which could get interesting if Bozzok tries to shift the blame onto Grubby.
    I doubt Bozzok's enough of a diplomancer to pull off convincing the attacking golem to turn to someone else... actually wait, that wouldn't be diplomacy, that would be bluff...
    still, this was no trivial feat, and I doubt he can repeat it
    ava by me
    Yes, sadly.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #231
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

For all the "save or suck" spells wizards can wield, "dead" remains the worst condition you can inflict on a foe.
    I think some creatures would prefer death to being the litter box of a cat who had too much to eat on the semi-elemental plane of ranch dressing.

Death can be preferable to domination.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Barbarian in the Playground

I have this sneaky suspicion that...

Spoiler
    Show

Grubwiggler will have a command word or some such protection "built in". Now, whether that shuts Crystalgolem down or just prevents her from attacking her creator is another matter altogether.

Edit: didn't see the above conversation about this very thing. But yeah, it makes sense that something like that would be there.
    Last edited by CleverDragon; 2015-03-29 at 11:21 AM.
    Carrion Crown: Dice | IC-2 | Doc
    Ruins of Azlant: OOC | IC | Doc
    ~~~~~
    Calathon - Mummy's Mask

23. - Top - End - #233

ElfWarriorGuy

It took a lot of build up to get to this point and that was a little frustrating at times as a reader. But now that we're here, the build up was *totally* worth it.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

24. - Top - End - #234
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Ridin'TheCrash View Post
    I cant believe that worked!
    I can't believe I've called two things, let alone two things in a freaking row.
    But yeah, diplomancy is epic. I've played three "face" characters, and it's amazing how powerful they can be once you're thinking with your words rather than your weapons.

(Then you run into something that's not amenable to words, and....crushification)

25. - Top - End - #235

Quote Originally Posted by Liliet View Post
    I doubt Bozzok's enough of a diplomancer to pull off convincing the attacking golem to turn to someone else... actually wait, that wouldn't be diplomacy, that would be bluff...
    still, this was no trivial feat, and I doubt he can repeat it
    Oh, he doesn't need to succeed, he just has to try. Which would give Grubwiggler a reason to turn on him. Either way, Grubby will be Crystal's next target, so I'd be surprised if he hasn't got a contingency plan.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

26. - Top - End - #236
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

It's first-rate diplomacy in the classic style: you're using irrefutable facts in order to sell an idea.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxzan Proditor View Post
    Are you trying to imply that there is a better approach to combat than repeatedly hitting something in the face with a weapon over and over and over? Nonsense!
    You are, after all, indisputably right, after looking again at the evidence in the form of Thog and Crystal, and the enormous success they have had, clearly, I should revise my theory.

Yet, I would like to add that the proof of the superiority of the "stab them repeatedly in the face" theory of combat will only be seen in full glory when Belkar will finally proves it to everyone in his most glorious moment of the story. After all, we know that prophecy is a red herring. Belkar cannot die, he'll just stab death in the face!
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    It would have been awesome if the writers had put as much thought into it as you guys do.
    The laws of physics are not crying in a corner, they are bawling in the forums.

Thanks to half-halfling for the avatar

28. - Top - End - #238

I can't believe I've called two things, let alone two things in a freaking row.
    But yeah, diplomancy is epic. I've played three "face" characters, and it's amazing how powerful they can be once you're thinking with your words rather than your weapons.

(Then you run into something that's not amenable to words, and....crushification)
    (that's why it's supposed to be A PARTY of characters)
    (a face is just one role)
    (also that's why you play a bard and always have some mind control or utility/bailing spells to help where words just don't cut it) (bards are the best class)

Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    Oh, he doesn't need to succeed, he just has to try. Which would give Grubwiggler a reason to turn on him. Either way, Grubby will be Crystal's next target, so I'd be surprised if he hasn't got a contingency plan.
    ...hmmm I haven't thought about it like that!
    If only because if I were Grubby, I'd bail immediately while Crystal is still busy with Bozzok and hope she doesn't remember about his existence (she probably won't).

It's first-rate diplomacy in the classic style: you're using irrefutable facts in order to sell an idea.
    ^^^^^ yes
    Haley was pushing her interpretation of events
    given the situation it's no small feat that she succeeded
    ava by me
    Yes, sadly.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #239
    Dwarf in the Playground

I dunno... I'm doing some planning for my 4e campaign, and there's a monster I found who inflicts "Stunned, Weakened and turned into a fine mist (save ends)" which feels like it might be a worse condition than "Stunned, Weakened and Dead (save ends)" - the latter lets your friends loot your corpse for useful potions.

30. - Top - End - #240

SwashbucklerGuy

And this, is how you use diplomacy in combat despite its 1 minute limitation.

Time to get my rogue's boots of speed as well or something which can help me go tongue stabbing in battle.