New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default D&D 3.5 Alternate spell storage?

I cannot seem to find where I read this, but I remember there was a way to write spells on other things than spell books, like staffs or the like, does anyone know if this is class feature of a PrC or is it just something any wizard can do?
    "I love being wrong, for if I was always right, there would be nothing left to learn, and that would be a world I would not want to live in."
    -Benjamin Fisher
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
    -Miles Kington
    "Space is his favorite thing in the world!"
    -Kayla Kros

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 3.5 Alternate spell storage?

If by game mechanics it's the same, like aboleth & illithid wizards putting spellbooks on stone carvings, anyone can do that. If you mean something else, you need to clarify a bit better.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

The rules are in Complete Arcane, pages 137-138.

TL;DR: You can do it in any form you like if you have both the normal feat and Craft Wondrous Item. The rules for activating it will be otherwise the same, except that there may be minor advantages or disadvantages, e.g. a stone tablet would be significantly heavier than a scroll, but have more hardness and HP.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

It's not the page 137-138 thing, It was actually described as an alternative way to record spells with guidelines as to how much you can fit on specific items. I don't know any more specifics than that.
    "I love being wrong, for if I was always right, there would be nothing left to learn, and that would be a world I would not want to live in."
    -Benjamin Fisher
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
    -Miles Kington
    -Kayla Kros

5. - Top - End - #5
    Spamalot in the Playground

Sounds like you're looking for Alternative Spellbooks, CArc pg. 186.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

That would be them! Thank you very much!
    -Benjamin Fisher
    -Miles Kington
    -Kayla Kros