New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default [Empire!] Meeting the Argulus

The Trinacria-Kelldria border, 525 - Summer solstice

No meaningful contact with the Kell, save a couple of cursory messages, had been had for decades, since Elwyn had been merely a sickly infant. It was his intention to change that today. He had read the records of the conversations between Elwyr, Girard and Vapeema, the letters from Evander, and even had his people bring him descendants of Kell exiles so that he could enquire about their homeland and culture. Still he felt they were an enigma.

He suspected the Argulus was not a man to be impressed by unnecessary frippery or ostentation, and forwent the usual kingly regalia in favour of a fairly straightforward - by Jarrland standards - tunic and breeches, surmounted by a cloak, for even at the height of summer, these lands were hardly warm, only a simple circlet to indicate his status. He applied the same thinking to his armour, leaving behind his orichalcum lamellar in exchange for a mithril breastplate, greaves and vambraces.

Still, it would not do to show weakness, either. At his back were five thousand troops, the insignia of some of the most renowned regiments in the kingdom's army borne above them; his sword at his side - Night's End, still, for he was more comfortable with the blade than the freshly forged one from Mularuhm, and, of course, Lumisand, on whose back he made his way to the island and whose very presence would be enough to dissuade all but the mightiest and most foolish of attackers. If the Kell intended treachery, they would not live to regret it.

On the island his people had erected a couple of trestle tables for food and to serve as writing desks. On one of them a number of maps were spread out, showing the extent of the kingdom and its knowledge of the world. There was a tent, too, in case shelter from the elements became necessary. Elwyn did not mind a little wind and rain, but the documents would.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2015-04-06 at 11:18 AM.
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [Empire!] Meeting the Argulus

The Kell appeared as a dot on the beach horizon of the mainland to the south of the island and grew closer, their form taking shape as the man who must have been Gregor Argulus sitting at the prow of a small rowboat aiding the three other Kell who rowed them across the icy cold lake to make landing on the island. The small boat landed with a soft thud and Gregor along with his compatriots pulled it up the beach that it might not wash away, seemingly oblivious to the Carmine King's armies and massive dragon that sat further inland. Checking their weapons of bronze were properly positioned at their waists the Argulus and his three fellows marched purposefully forward, their boots crunching the cool ground beneath them in otherwise silence as the wind blew across the land.

Gregor was dressed in a simple, albeit well crafted pair of breaches and a vest of fur marked with black dye in runic shapes while his companions wore unmarked clothing. All four were marked with scars in geometric patterns down their arms and Gregor bore some down over the top of his head which was shaved clean. Gregor appeared to be about forty, his companions half that, but he still bore a great strength in his stride and stance.

Arriving to stand before King Elwyn, an easy head shorter than the King Gregor took a moment, turning his head side to side as he surveyed the regiments and the King's dragon.

"Hmmph," he said turning to look at the King, "Your letter said you wished to discuss trade?"
    Last edited by QuintonBeck; 2015-04-06 at 12:01 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Amazing Avatar by Qwernt! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    The whole world is held aloft by a dragon.

That dragon? Held aloft by a bigger dragon.

It's dragons all the way up
    Beat the bejesus out of a Paladin

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Elwyn saluted with a fist to the chest, noting the Argulus's predictable hostility silently.

"Indeed. It is our understanding your people have need of crops, and in recent years we have developed a wheat surplus. It would be a simple matter to ship it south to you if you so wished."

He gestured to his right, indicating a figure who had so far remained silent. "I shall also introduce my vassal Queen Areta of the Isles, who shares another border with you further to the east. I believe her people may also have produce from which your people might benefit."
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Areta watched carefully as the two Kings sized each other up. She shivered imperceptively despite the warm furs that were draped over her shoulders. Beneath she had dressed casually for this expedition in a silken tunic and embroidered leather leggings. Her foliage like hair was help atop her head by two carved ivory combs. Areta's amber eyes gazed steadily at King Gregor as she was introduced to him, she too followed suit and made the cross armed salute respectfully.

"I thank you for welcoming us into your lands." She spoke clearly, gazing steadily at the much shorter man.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    OOC: I missed a comma, but the implication was to be that Gregor was shorter than Elwyn so I imagine Areta is towering over him.
    OOC: Fix'd!
    Last edited by PepperP.; 2015-04-07 at 09:18 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

OOC: I missed a comma, but the implication was to be that Gregor was shorter than Elwyn so I imagine Areta is towering over him.

"Your kind wishes to ship us grain? Why?"

He looked over at the indicated woman, bark skin and tall posture especially alien for a man who had never seen a tree but he nodded.

He snorted at her words, "I should hardly call this my land. If you'll note the Salterri legions at your back you'd agree Queen."

"Why the sudden interest King Elwyn? Planning to start another war and hoping to bribe us to die for you?"

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Elwyn gave a cold smile that did not reach his eyes. "I know the Kell have little diplomatic contact with the wider world, or I should take that as an insult, lord Argulus. For what it is worth, my men are not Salterri legions, but tagmata of my kingdom, sworn to me, and though I may bear an Imperial title there is not a drop of Salterri blood in my veins. The men on that shore have slain more Salterri in the last six years than have all the living Kell combined. More than enough men of any land have died for me already and I have no intention of asking more to do so without good cause.

"This border has historically been ill-defined. For decades we knew of your currrent status only that which our histories and your exiles could tell us. My forebears preferred to secure the border with troops and keep watch in case you returned. Thanks to your declarations we now have a clearer idea of the situation and find that the Kell are our immediate neighbours, closer than we had formerly assumed.

"I was not yet born when last our kingdoms went to war with each other. This seemed to me as good a time as any to attempt to break this ancient cycle of grievance and forestall any more pointless violence between our peoples. A peace built solely on fear and mutual suspicion cannot last forever. I believe greater mutual understanding would be to our mutual benefit. We have goods for trade, trading with to our neighbours is the usual way of things if we are not at war, and so we offer to trade them with you. You are free to decline, of course, but you did not need to come here merely to tell me that."
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

"No, I did not, but it won't mean I can't still choose to," Gregor said, unappreciative of the King's assumption, "What would you want of ours for your grain? I suspect you won't be as foolish as your eastern neighbors offering us grain for servitude?"

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

"Indeed not. The attitude of the Kell towards such propositions is well-known at least." He seemed slightly amused by the idea, as if anyone who knew anything of the Kell could possibly have been so foolish.

"Although precise figures would have to be determined, I believe we have enough grain to supply two of your regions, and of those resources we understand you possess in abundance, I should ask for cotton and "glow snow" in return. I understand the Isles also have edible birds they are prepared to make available for trade, if you are in need of meat, though I do not know what they would ask in exchange."
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Areta nodded in affirmation of her Liege's assertion, "Our Isles have an abundant supply of large Huma birds which are not only delicious, but whose feathers have many practical applications as well, such as needles for stitching or to stuff blankets for warmth." She gestured to the embroidery on her breeches. "In exchange, we would ask for a supply of your bronze, which is renown for it's quality and strength." Her tone was inscrutable though her head tilted ever so slightly to the side as if she were trying to read the flinty, proud man.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

"Hmm," the Argulus almost growled as he seemed to think over the offer before him then looked to King Elwyn.

"I will ship you cotton for your grain," he said, turning to Queen Areta, "And bronze for your birds. The so-called 'glow snow' is worth more than a single stack of grain."

He was silent, awaiting any further offers before declaring his intent to depart.

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

"Hmm," the Argulus almost growled as he seemed to think over the offer before him then looked to King Elwyn.

"I will ship you cotton for your grain," he said, turning to Queen Areta, "And bronze for your birds. The so-called 'glow snow' is worth more than a single stack of grain."

He was silent, awaiting any further offers before declaring his intent to depart.
    Elwyn nodded. "I know not what properties the glowing snow may have, but if you are reluctant to part with it for mere grain, perhaps our offer can be enhanced slightly. We have gained knowledge of practices that allow the productive capacity of arable land to be increased, which we could share with you in addition to the grain if you so desired.

"If that did not spur your interest, there are a number of other discoveries made to the north, of which we have knowledge, which help to preserve food and to curtail the development and spread of disease. These we are also prepared to make available, though if we are to hand over several we should have to ask for something additional in exchange, such as the construction of the ice boats we witnessed some decades ago and have not yet replicated."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

To clarify, that's an offer of Agriculture tech in addition to the grain for the glow snow... and if he doesn't like Agriculture he can have Medicine, Appertisation or Sewage Systems instead (as well as the grain).

And/or three of those techs for Ice Sailing. I'm not sure if he has Plate Armour but that could potentially be put on the table too.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2015-04-09 at 04:03 PM.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

"Hmm, we will take your grain and your agricultural knowledge for the glowing snow. We will not part with the knowledge of our ice sleds."

The Argulus sucked his teeth a moment, and in a grudging voice spoke up, "What would you take other than ice sailing for the knowledge of preserving foods?"

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

"That would depend on what else you have to offer," Elwyn said. "I know not what secrets your people may keep and of those what they would be willing to part with. Of the resources we are aware of in your lands, we might consider bronze, if there is nothing else, though in my experience trades of intellectual for physical resources often work out unfairly one way or another."

At least the Argulus was prepared to talk. Whether he would consider, let alone agree to, Elwyn's more ambitious proposals was still doubtful, but the king was more optimistic it might be possible.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

"Mmm," the Argulus growled, "We will do this bronze for preservation techniques. Is there more you wished to discuss or is our business concluded?"

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

"There is no more trade I wish to discuss, though the Queen may have more," the king said. "I would suggest that on this island a permanent structure be erected, as a permanent meeting-place, which could be undertaken either as a joint project or by our masons alone, if you preferred. Our merchants would then be able to bring wares from the north to trade without having to cross your border, and vice versa. I know you take a dim view of foreigners entering your lands.

"I wonder however if one exception could be made." He gestured to his retainers and a young man stepped forward, similarly elven-featured and dark-skinned, though with a more golden cast to his complexion. "This is my son, Alfrett. He is fourteen years old, and has been trained in the ways of war and the hunt." Alfrett bowed slightly to the Argulus.

"It is common practice in some parts of the north for young people of station to be warded in foreign lands, whether to defray mutual tension, or to build understanding and ties, between both lands which are close friends and those which until recently had been enemies. I would suggest that such an agreement between us as a show of good faith, for Alfrett to spend some time among your people, and likewise in my kingdom with a young Kell of similar station, could only be of benefit to each of us and might help with time to reduce the suspicion which has characterised our dealings to date."

He carefully avoided using the world 'hostage', though the implication was doubtless clear. Alfrett was the more martially-inclined of the twins, and still young enough to be impressionable; he was confident he would do the kingdom proud even among such a hard folk as the Kell. Whether Gregor was of similar mind, though, was anybody's guess.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

"You may build your post that our traders may have a place unsullied to do business with your own," Gregor said after a moment as he walked over to young Alfreet and paced around him.

"What is your greatest hunt?" he asked the boy, "And why?"

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Alfrett paused for a second. "A bison," he said, after a moment, "last autumn. I pursued it for several hours, both ahorse and on foot, and when I brought it down it was with my spear alone. I have taken larger and more ferocious creatures, but all with assistance, and none have tested me so much as that one did."
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

"Hmm," the Argulus nodded and it looked almost like...a smile?

"We will take your boy and teach him of the Kell ways. I will have my youngest son sent along to learn of Carmine and Salterri customs. He shall be returned to me and this one to you seven years from this date. Are we agreed?"

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

"We are agreed." Elwyn nodded in something like satisfaction and gestured to the scriveners to record the details of the arrangements. He clapped Alfrett lightly on the shoulder, before his son moved over to join the Kells.

Over the coming days word would be sent back to Vennland, so that ships full of grain could be sent southwards to meet that part of the bargain.
    Last edited by Aedilred; 2015-04-13 at 11:54 AM.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

A ship bearing the symbol of peace approached the island, and docked. The crews remained abord, and Ridion Serendel stepped off.

"Apologies for my lateness, Elwyn. The storms in the Speckled Sea delayed us. Still, I have come. I see negotiations are underway. Hail, Lord Argulus. I have come to offer trade, and also, to return something to you that has been long lost."
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    A ship bearing the symbol of peace approached the island, and docked. The crews remained abord, and Ridion Serendel stepped off.

"Apologies for my lateness, Elwyn. The storms in the Speckled Sea delayed us. Still, I have come. I see negotiations are underway. Hail, Lord Argulus. I have come to offer trade, and also, to return something to you that has been long lost."
    The Argulus sneered at the late arrival of the Lyr and spit at the Emperor's feet, turning to address King Elwyn.

"What is that doing here?" he indicated the Dawn Emperor, "Do you seek to spoil this before it has yet begun to cook? I insist your remove this scum from this island. His cowardice taints the soil we might yet trade upon beyond recovery."

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

The Argulus sneered at the late arrival of the Lyr and spit at the Emperor's feet, turning to address King Elwyn.

"What is that doing here?" he indicated the Dawn Emperor, "Do you seek to spoil this before it has yet begun to cook? I insist your remove this scum from this island. His cowardice taints the soil we might yet trade upon beyond recovery."
    Elwyn resisted the urge to roll his eyes. He supposed none of his captains had had the nerve to apprehend the emperor en route. He might have to start employing commanders with a bit more initiative.

"It is usually a pleasure to see you, Lord Ridion," he said, turning to the Lord of Dawn, "but this moment and circumstance is inopportune. When you were notified that I was to meet with our southern neighbours it was intended as a courtesy, and that any pressing issues you had might be taken into consideration, but we did not anticipate you would seek to attend in person, nor would we have recommended it." Some of his councillors and the queen nodded in agreement, as much for the benefit of Gregor as anything.

"This island stands outwith my kingdom," Elwyn continued, "so my authority and protection do not extend to it save with the agreement of the Argulus and I have no wish to go to war over a misunderstanding. If you have a gift of peace to deliver, then by all means do so but otherwise I must recommend you return to Lamadyr, since as long as you remain here I cannot guarantee your safety."

He was reluctant to phrase anything more forcefully than that, but hoped Ridion would get the message. He would have to patch things up with the emperor later, but mending any wounds to Ridion's pride would surely be easier than rebuilding any fragile trust with the Kell.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

The insults of the Kell leader and the admonishments of Elwyn rolled off of Ridion. He had expected the former, after all, and wanted to be certain to appear strong in his exposed posistion. Ridion raised his hand, and a simple spit covered in white cloth was brought out. The spit had been stored in a container of true ice, to preserve the body. Ridion for the first time turned and addressed the Argulus directly.

"Though I know our peoples once and still bear ire and at times open hate at the events of the past, let it be known that I chose to show respect, rather than dishonor. Vapeema has succumed to death, and so I now return him to his lands, post mortem, so that he may be buried with his kind, rather than in my lands. In his hands he holds the blade he fought with all those many years ago. Perhaps one day, we will be able to further confide, but for now - I take my leave. Thank you both for your time."

And with that, Ridion left.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Gregor stood silent and still a moment as he watched the back of the departing Lyr then, once Ridion was departed from sight made his way over to the covered spit, bending down to lift the cover back. He stared into the face of the Argulus who had led the Kell in a fight to claim greener pastures and reflected on the symbol of the Lyr returning his body. Without a word he gestured for his companions to come over and take the body back to their boat to be returned south before rising himself and returning to stand before Prince Alfreet, putting a hand on the young man's shoulder he looked over at King Elwyn.

"When 7 cycles are done may we meet here again. Upon my return I shall send Zosimus with the first dispatch of merchants to this island to learn your ways. Until then King Elwyn."

With that Gregor departed with the Carmine boy and Argulus corpse adding to his retinue.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Gregor stood silent and still a moment as he watched the back of the departing Lyr then, once Ridion was departed from sight made his way over to the covered spit, bending down to lift the cover back. He stared into the face of the Argulus who had led the Kell in a fight to claim greener pastures and reflected on the symbol of the Lyr returning his body. Without a word he gestured for his companions to come over and take the body back to their boat to be returned south before rising himself and returning to stand before Prince Alfreet, putting a hand on the young man's shoulder he looked over at King Elwyn.

"When 7 cycles are done may we meet here again. Upon my return I shall send Zosimus with the first dispatch of merchants to this island to learn your ways. Until then King Elwyn."

With that Gregor departed with the Carmine boy and Argulus corpse adding to his retinue.
    Elwyn saluted again. "Until then, Lord Argulus." He too turned to leave.
    League Wiki

Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)