New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Expedition to Castle Ravenloft IC 2

Elena rubs her head as she slowly rises, saying, "Damn...I have to be more careful. Thank you, Brom." She looks at the glowing symbol and says, "Ivyn? Any idea what that means?" While she talks, she presses a glowing hand to her head, repairing yet more damage.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Spontaneous Cast CMW on self: (2d8+8)[12]

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

"Either way, we should see about these trees." Brom says after completing the healing. His movements seem slow and tentative compared to the divinely fueled fury of a moment ago.

He moves to the nearest and takes a two-handed swing at it.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Colossus in the Playground

The morningstar makes a sickening thump as it strikes the fleshy bulb. The twisted plant shakes but doesn't look damaged.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ivyn Nadirna

Ivyn takes a sliver arrow and uses it as a dagger against the fell growths, addressing Brom as he works. After you assist Elena, I too could use some healing. That fire blast made my life flash before my eyes.

Speaking of; Elena!? Are you all right? What? What does what mea... Oh.
    Ivyn sees the glowing runes after the rest of the party does.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledges as usual and spellcraft taking 10 for 27's. Ivyn is missing 30 HP by my count, though I may have missed something. I'm trying to be better about updating my character sheet.
    Last edited by neoseph7; 2015-06-18 at 05:10 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #155

WolfInSheepsClothing

Gallard briefly examines Elena to make sure of her condition. Meanwhile, Jonnel approaches Brom.

"Maybe with some fire? But even then, we might not have the time."

Overhearing that, the knight offers his opinion.

"Let's fix this statuette first. It might have the power to destroy this horrid creation once it is restored. Eva's prediction referred to this place, right? So let's look around. If you find more of those slugs, call."

Jonnel nods, and promptly starts searching for points of interest within the garden. Likewise, Gallard does the same.

6. - Top - End - #156

"Try an edged weapon?" Ireena suggests. "Unless Gallard is right and the Symbol can do it somehow. Eva did say something about bringing it here." She holds out the Symbol toward Brom. "You should take it. Whatever it can do, I don't think it's for me to wield."

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Elena laughs somewhat as she says, "Hehe. Half of us don't have blades." She giggles and says, "Surely I'm not the only one that finds the situation a bit absurd. After all that's happened, defeated by a lack of blades."

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

Brom takes the symbol and studies it carefully.
    Spoiler
    Show
    know religion (1d20+10)[11], will try to turn undead with it to damage the trees if it seems liekly

9. - Top - End - #159

Spoiler: Brom
    Show
    The symbol is warm to the touch. You find yourself compelled to press it against one of the twisted, shrublike things. As soon as you do, the hideous shrub combusts rapidly.

You feel that the symbol recognizes you as a priest of Pelor. It promises you great power if you choose to sacrifice part of your life force to it.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

If it will further the cause of light, then I am willing. Brom continues to destroy the 'trees' with the symbol.

11. - Top - End - #161

The amulet in Brom's hand flares again, and keeps brightening until all of you have to look away. Despite the thick fog cover, the garden is now illuminated as brightly as if the noonday sun was shining directly on it. All the twisted shrubs glow brightly and assume humanoid forms before crumbling to ash with a soft moan.

Spoiler: for Brom
    Show

Your current and maximum hit points are reduced by 2 each. You suspect the Holy Symbol will drain you further as you become more powerful, but it will manifest other powers as well.

Holy Symbol of Ravenkind
    1/year, it can produce a Sunlight Blast, which will destroy all but the most powerful vampires, and will paralyze those vampires it doesn't destroy for 2 rounds.
    1/day, it can be used to cast Heal, Resurrection, Greater Restoration, or Greater Dispel Magic, at caster level 20.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

"It seems that the symbol has bound itself to me. It seems that it will be a powerful tool on our quest. Ireena, I beg that I be allowed to hold it until the crisis has passed."

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Elena smiles and pats Brom on the back as she says, "Well, that's that done with. Where do you guys think the Dayheart is, then?"

14. - Top - End - #164

"Of course. It never worked for me anyway." She looks at the weapon that nearly killed Elena. "The book said something about that mace being able to destroy Strahd, if it can be believed. Does this mean the Dayheart no longer functions, and Strahd is vulnerable to sunlight again? Er. Mace not related to the Dayheart."

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

"I suppose we ought to find the Dayheart and ensure it no longer functions. It could be these poor souls only granted it protection and it still needs to be destroyed."

16. - Top - End - #166

WolfInSheepsClothing

Gallard eyes the weapon that is now abandoned on the ground. He then recovers his shield, and checks his sword for any damage.

"I would be cautious with that mace, if I were you. A foul devil wielded it, and I doubt any good will come from it."

Jonnel seems to agree.

"Aye, aye. Do listen to him, stories are clear: never take anything from demons! It will bring ill fortune!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Gallard uses Detect Evil to determine if the weapon has an evil aura now that the devil is gone. He also looks for any remaining auras that are nearby.

17. - Top - End - #167

Spoiler: Detect Evil
    Show

Nothing in the area now radiates evil.

18. - Top - End - #168

Show
    Assuming that Gallard says some paraphrase of his latest OOC post:

"Do you detect evil on the mace now, Gallard?" Ireena asks.

Spoiler: This follows if, and only if, Gallard responds to that question in the negative.
    Show
    Ireena frowns. "I hate to put it this way, but only Elena and I have weapons capable of hurting Strahd; Elena nearly died for a lack of silver weapons just now. We can't afford to confront him like this--though one of you can certainly use my rapier, if you want."

She looks at Ivyn, "Will that wand you found tell us if there are any hidden traps in the mace?"
    Last edited by Kish; 2015-06-24 at 09:58 AM.

19. - Top - End - #169

WolfInSheepsClothing

Gallard shakes his head in response to Ireena's inquiry.

"My counsel remains the same, but do what you will: I won't stop you."

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

"We need to go find the dayheart, quickly."

21. - Top - End - #171

Ivyn Nadirna

Ivyn will analyze the mace to his fullest capacity, using the wand if need be.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #172

Spoiler: the mace
    Show

Using two charges from the wand, Ivyn determines that the mace is a silver +3 heavy mace, and the crystal attached to its base is a separate magic item, a greater truedeath crystal. If either has any other qualities, positive or negative, the wand detects no trace of them. Touching the mace does not seem to harm Ivyn.

23. - Top - End - #173

Ivyn Nadirna

It's a powerful, silver mace. The crystal is a separate magic item- a greater truedeath crystal- which will permit certain critical attacks against an undead foe. This is likely the weapon mentioned in the journal, specifically ordered to fight Strahd. We would be wise to take it.
    Last edited by neoseph7; 2015-07-01 at 01:38 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Elena nods to Ivyn and says, "It seems safe enough. May I take it?"

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

"Seems like a good choice, I fear it will be useful far too often. Let us proceed."

26. - Top - End - #176

"Good, then. If you don't have a silver weapon, maybe you can use the morningstar Elena was using, Brom." Ireena looks north at the tower and says, "If the garden empowered the Dayheart, maybe that liquid stuff was going to the Dayheart."

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Elena smiles as she picks up the mace and offers her morningstar to Brom as she says, "Heh...Taking up the weapon that nearly killed me. I'm sure there's some irony in this somewhere." She then nods to Ireena and says, "Good idea. Let's follow the channels."

Spoiler: Morningstar
    Show
    +1 Silver
    Last edited by Ionbound; 2015-07-01 at 08:26 PM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

"Quite prudent. The deduction is sound as well. If our daring knights will lead us?"

29. - Top - End - #179

WolfInSheepsClothing

Gallard shrugs.

"Let's see where this leads us, but we should have a good look everywhere. A demon was here until recently, and who knows what we might find? I'll leave no stone unturned if that's what it takes to cleanse this place."

That said, the knight starts following the path outlined by the channels. Together with Jonnel, he advances through what remains of the corrupted garden.

30. - Top - End - #180

As you start north toward the tower, Gallard's sword begins to glow almost immediately.

A familiar blond figure steps out of the tower, and jumps back inside with a shriek as her skin begins to smoke. "You've done it!" Sasha says exultantly. "The Dayheart's power is destroyed! Don't come any closer." She seems to be struggling with herself. "You know I cannot disobey; Strahd ordered me to guard the Dayheart and his order stands whether it still has a reason or not. And I'm not its only guardian or its most dangerous. It would be horribly ironic if you got this far and died attempting something that won't weaken him. Go back down and do whatever you still need to do before you confront him." A massive golden lion stands behind her.

Show
    Other than the mountain fane, the only other thing Madam Eva spoke of that could increase your power or decrease Strahd's was that for the Sunsword to regain its power, you need to take it to "where virtue lies dead, slain by the unholy hand that rules the castle."