New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Civ5 GMR 12: Imperialism, ho!

I'd better not find that the AI has used all of my Settlers already...
    Ludicrus Gaming: on games and story
    Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

The AI has managed to disappoint me. Seriously, how difficult is it to sail directly west?
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

I can confirm that our starting locations are different.

For fun, here's a shot of my starting location from the first attempt - it promised to be... interesting. Feel free to take a look at this one, since it's no longer applicable to the game:

Spoiler: Starting Location #1
    Show

Yes, that is Cerro de Potosi, one of the most lucrative resources in the game... to the Europeans. It's one of this scenario's few sources of Treasure units, which grant Victory Points to the European civilizations - the only other way to get Treasures is via razing cities (obviously somewhat difficult and expensive) and from the similar natural wonder El Dorado (I'm not sure if this is on every map, I've never found it).

To me, it's just 10 gold; not bad at all, but not a game-changer. I was going to settle it anyway, of course, to deny VP to my enemies, but figured this was going to make me a target for any Europeans who managed to find the place (it's right next to the eastern coast)... like I said, interesting. I'm not sure it was a good starting location but I'm a little sad I won't get to see how it turns out.

And here's my start location this time around:

Spoiler: Spectators only
    Show

I like this city quite a lot: multiple sources of Salt (one of the best luxuries), a nearby mountain range with some promising locations for terrace farms, a large deposit of Iron... Nice. This city is going to be huge someday. Haven't explored much of the nearby area, but there's already some promising-looking spots.

My only complaint is the AI's choice of pantheon, which gives a) +1 food from Camps, b) +1 faith from Bananna, Citrus and Wheat, and c) lets me buy Temples with faith. Urgh. I don't have any of those resources nearby, I don't have anywhere to build camps, and in order to get enough faith to afford Temples I will probably need to build some first. I don't think this scenario has any beliefs that would have been amazing for me, but I wish the AI had managed to pick one that wasn't dependent on stuff I don't have.

Oh well. I guess my scouts will be on the lookout for Bananna, Citrus and Wheat.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

4. - Top - End - #94
    Barbarian in the Playground

Spoiler: Spectators
    Show

The Mayan civilization began in a fertile river valley and the nearby foothills. A strange blend of customs emerged, a warrior-culture that prided itself on stone idols. Sites of victory were made into temples, the first and greatest of which forms the center of the city of Palenque.

The priesthood observes the motions of the stars, and foretell of a time of conflict to come. For now though we must focus on exploring and settling our lands.

OOC: So... not a terrible start, but I sure wish my pantheon was better. I'm not a warmonger in general and I'll be competing with the Aztecs for barbarian kills. The purchasing of units with faith could be a big deal though, later on. My second pantheon belief is dictating my playstyle... quarries and Wonders are what will net me Faith. I need to quickly get a production city and build at least one Wonder before the other Americans beat me to it. I always seem to choose the wrong one or lose out because of turn order, so it'll be hard to decide, but I can put that off for a little while yet.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well, aside from the AI making some questionable choices, is everything working properly? All the Americans should have pantheons, are the Europeans getting their bonus faith?

Also...
    Spoiler: Europeans
    Show
    Though I'm pretty sure everyone was on board, just wanted to make sue people were agreed to the Rules of Conduct we discussed:
    -Don't proselytize the European capitals.
    -Don't fight in Europe
    -Everything else is fair play

Did I miss anything?
    So Much for the Glory of Rome, a Crusader Kings 2 Let's Play

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OrcusMcP View Post
    Well, aside from the AI making some questionable choices, is everything working properly? All the Americans should have pantheons, are the Europeans getting their bonus faith?

Also...
    Show
    Though I'm pretty sure everyone was on board, just wanted to make sue people were agreed to the Rules of Conduct we discussed:
    -Don't proselytize the European capitals.
    -Don't fight in Europe
    -Everything else is fair play

Did I miss anything?
    Bonus Faith?

Show
    No one objected to those, yeah. Though I would have liked a couple more Rules in there. Oh, well, those should do.

7. - Top - End - #97

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    Bonus Faith?
    The Europeans get a base amount of faith every turn (I think it's around 50 or so, I forget exactly) that is independent of what their faith production is.

Like my musings and stories? Check out Whats the Story?, my podcast about storytelling!

8. - Top - End - #98
    Colossus in the Playground

The Europeans get a base amount of faith every turn (I think it's around 50 or so, I forget exactly) that is independent of what their faith production is.
    I do not believe I have that. I'll check on my turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

9. - Top - End - #99

That's.. a hell of a lot of free faith.

On the American end, everything seems functional, even if the AI and myself disagree on proper city placement.
    Board-game and XCOM nerd. Furry. Handle with care.

10. - Top - End - #100

Quote Originally Posted by Magentawolf View Post
    That's.. a hell of a lot of free faith.
    The troops you want to buy with faith are hella expensive, though, so it ends up roughly working out.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

Didn't know that. Does it show up in the faith screen? If so, I'll check it out on the next turn. Otherwise it'll take a screenshot and wait for the turn after.

12. - Top - End - #102

The troops you want to buy with faith are hella expensive, though, so it ends up roughly working out.
    I'm pretty sure my faith is set at approx -99000

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    That doesn't sound right.

14. - Top - End - #104

Wait, what? That sounds like a massive problem/bug.

15. - Top - End - #105

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    That doesn't sound right.
    Maybe I'm misremembering, I'll check when my turn comes up.

16. - Top - End - #106

Are you able to test if it's something about England? Are any other Europeans getting weird faith totals?

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ogre in the Playground

I know I could buy a scout with my faith, so I did have some amount of it, though I can't check if it was the correct amount right now.

18. - Top - End - #108

I don't have a backup save to check how much I have, so...

19. - Top - End - #109

Confirmed there's an issue my faith is currently -99736.

My people take athiesm to a whole new level?

20. - Top - End - #110

Holy crap. I've emailed support, hopefully they have some ideas.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Drat, foiled again by the technology!
    Unless everyone's been lying to me and the next bunch of episodes are The Great Divide II, The Great Divide III, Return to the Great Divide, and Bride of the Great Divide, in which case I hate you all and I'm never touching Avatar again.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

Goblin

Well, at least the natives seem to be working now? Completely random AI Pantheon choices aside.

Spoiler: Spectators?
    Show
    Coyote Steals Fire would be a decent Aztec Pantheon, sure, if I'd actually started in a jungle instead of a forest.
    Spoiler
    Show

Stealthy Snake avatar by Dawn
    Lack of images by Imageshack

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, natives are working right.

24. - Top - End - #114

Land ho!

Show

Calusa, a city state. Gonna convert it and make a friend. They seem to be on an island.

I decided to go south as well as west, since I figured that France/GB/Netherlands would race for the north.

25. - Top - End - #115

So any news?

26. - Top - End - #116

So any news?
    Haven't heard back from support yet, unfortunately. I can pause the game in the meantime, if you like, or the other europeans can donate you some money to help make up for lack of faith.

27. - Top - End - #117

Haven't heard back from support yet, unfortunately. I can pause the game in the meantime, if you like, or the other europeans can donate you some money to help make up for lack of faith.
    Or if I lose, I can just pretend it was that, and not any poor play on my part!

28. - Top - End - #118

Spoiler: For spectators
    Show

Yeah, faith issue isn't fixed.

Hiawatha! Hi!

My settler and worker sail the great seas.

Pikeman will follow shortly

Cargo ship, which is trading with a city-state.

View of Plymouth.

My polices.

Best population and literacy

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    State of the empire! And it is an empire rather than a city with big dreams, now, as I've used all my starting settlers.

Both pretty solid. Unfortunately, stables in this scenario have a different effect than they do in the standard game (they give you horses instead of bonus production from pastures/when producing mounted units). Shame, because with six sheep this city would have been amazing... Oh well, it's still not half-bad.

Founding both my cities has sent my happiness into the negatives, but next turn I'll finish my first salt mine, which should buy me enough time to start working the copper/cotton/spices in my territory. My experience with this scenario is that this almost always happens, unless you're really slow to settle - 3 starting cities with 3 pop each, no time to have luxuries worked yet... I think the AI gave me a bit of a head start there by settling right on top of the Dyes, actually. Good work, AI!

Fish and whales suggest that this might be a good spot for a port city. Probably won't be my next settlement, though, seeing as I don't have Optics yet, and you need that to get much out of sea resources.

Also, according to the interface I've met the Spaniards? I can't see them, but I'm guessing one of my units just came in sight of a Great Admiral. That suggests I'm fairly close to European lands. Decidedly mixed blessing, there.

The south, where buffalo roam amidst the salt flats. No luxuries, but if I can get some breathing room on happiness it'd make a good spot for a city or two anyway. I have yet to find any other American civilizations, so I'm thinking that wide may be my strategy-of-choice here.

And even further to the south...

Seriously? Again?

Not that I'm complaining, you understand. I was looking forward to the challenge last time, and I think my position is better overall this time. But it's a strange coincidence.
    Avatar by GryffonDurime. Thanks!

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

I'm not sure if this is a bug, or if this is normal. But I am literally stuck in my starting area. There's a chain of mountains, but it looks like there is a way out. However, none of my people can actually go through the apparent way out. It isn't that I get a giant red "NO" dot when I try to click on it. I literally cannot click on it, and no one will go to it. I can't see what it is, since it won't show up on the map. (Even if I am standing right next to it, it won't appear.)
    Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.