Default Re: A Murder in Hawksridge

Naizan

"No, the name Ormand is not familiar. You say he was troublesome? How so?"

2. - Top - End - #152
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Dain

"Oh, I thought you'd have heard. A council delegate was... murdered the day the elves arrived in the city. Many of the cityfolk are already suspicious and fearful of the Cirruneth. After the... murder, well, you can imagine the rumors, so they did not linger in the city. They attended one day of the council meetings and met with the Earl, Lord Balimthorpe, according to a friend of ours. They left early the next morning, after the... body had been discovered." This is said stiffly. Only the brief pauses betray an inner struggle.

"Ormand is a dangerous southerner who seems somehow complicit in all this. We know he and the halfling knew each other. And we know the halfling knew..." Here, Dain pauses for a full second and swallows before continuing. "The victim," he finishes with obvious effort. "Tal or Dagon can tell you more of Ormand. I did not meet him, though I should like to."

Spoiler
    Show
    Naizan, you have in fact already heard of the murder and know that it was Dorn of Falston who was the victim. Talonus, you feel that Naizan is being sincere.
    Last edited by Kinthas; 2007-07-09 at 04:28 AM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

Dagon

Listening as the others discuss the recent events in Hawkesridge, Dagon looks over Naizan's wounds. Though less an expert on such matters than his friends believed, the youth yet trusted the power of the Moon Goddess. Speaking a simple charm, he channels silver Essence upon the injuries, forcing them closed through force of will.

Spoiler
    Show

Cure Light Wounds: (1d8+2)[8]

"Take care to rest, Fendake-san" he says to Naizan after letting Dain finish. "So freshly healed, your injuries will still strain your body."

Remounting, Dagon turns to face the road.

"As for Ormand, he's a dangerous creature. Beware the strike of his blade."
    Last edited by Breece; 2007-07-09 at 08:12 PM.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Talonus

"We are actually investigating the murder. During our search of the last house the victim was seen at, we found an odd deck of cards, with letters written on each of the cards. Shorty after taking the cards, this man Ormand appeared and demanded the return of the cards. There was a scuffle where Dagon became badly wounded while defending me. I was able to bargain with Ormand and Dagon was saved though we had to return all the cards save one which I was able to hide."

As he speaks, Talonus sneaks glances at Dain to see how he's dealing with talking about his recent loss, albeit in a roundabout fashion. Part of Talonus wanted to reveal Dain's connection to the murder victim to the stranger. Naizan seemed like a trustworthy fellow and the idea of justice seems to suit him. But Talonus also knew that it was not his information to reveal.

"As for the bandits, we have no real relationship with them except that they've tried to rob us twice and were soundly punished each time. There is one man named Tor who has been at and fled both attacks. Still, trying to be robbed twice is reason enough for me to want the end of their band."

Talonus looks seriously at the face of each of the men, as if weighing their souls. Then he speaks solemnly, adding a weight to his voice that Dain and Dagon rarely hear.

"It may be foolish of me, but I feel as if all this is more than just a murder investigation. I have a feeling of foreboding that I know not from where it comes. I feel like we are being caught up in great events, those of which we barely see the tips of. Whether you join us or not Naizan, it feels like too much of a coincidence to meet one of such harmonious temperment to our own at this juncture. I feel destiny's hand at work here and I know not whether to be comforted or frightened at the thought."
    Last edited by Krezzlar; 2007-07-10 at 01:32 AM.

5. - Top - End - #155

RedWizardGuy

Naizan

Naizan listens to the words of each man, his brow furrowed slightly.

"This is a tangled skein indeed," Naizan comments, when Talonus has finished. "Mysterious symbols, foul murders, unexplained demands. It is difficult to know what to think. But I am resolved on one point -- I will accept your invitation to accompany your search for this halfling."

Naizan pokes at the nearly healed wound on his side absent-mindedly as he continues, but his expression is quite serious.

"There are two particular points on which I desired further clarification. First, how was the murder committed and what were the circumstances surrounding it? The second is, what was the matter concerning which the Cirruneth spoke to the council? It seems a strange coincidence that their arrival was on the same day as the murder."

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Dain

"Poison. He was killed with a poisoned needle or dart. The body was found in an alley near to the house in which he was slain. Ormand's deck of cards was found in this house, though he claimed to know nothing of the murder."

The companions, now four, ride slowly north on the forest road towards Corlan Heights while the details of the happenings in Hawksridge are relayed to Virillion's emissary. The sun is sinking behind the western treetops, casting the road into deep shadow. It is dangerous to ride faster as the failing light plays tricks on the eyes and the horses could easily stumble on root or stone.

"The Cirruneth," Dain continues, "did not address the council, but merely observed the proceedings. They are known to have spoken only with Lord Balimthorpe himself, in closed quarters."

7. - Top - End - #157

RedWizardGuy

Naizan

Naizan looks thoughtful as Dain speaks, and scratches his carefully trimmed beard absently.

"Well, perhaps this halfling can shed some light on the matter. Such a dark mystery could benefit from a little illumination!

Naizan's curiousity appears to have been satisfied, and he rides along without further comment for the time being.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The Journey Continues

The pace is slow, but the ride is pleasant. The air is cool and the smells and sounds of the forest at night are soothing. Conversation is sporadic, with each companion taking some time to ride with Naizan and share a few thoughts on the recent events in Hawksridge. A waxing moon is high in the sky when the bright lanterns of the Forest Inn first become visible through the trees.

A stable boy is roused from sleep to care for your horses and the four of you continue inside to seek warm food and lodging. A handful of travellers populate a large table in the common room. A sizeable collection empty mugs speaks to their current state. The talk is boisterous. Two other patrons sit at a small table near the wall, talking quietly and doing their best to ignore their drunken counterparts.

Spoiler
    Show
    The ride takes four or five hours. Along the way, Naizan pieces together a rough timeline of the events in Hawksridge.

Day 0
    - second session of the council is held
    - two Cirruneth arrive partway through and observe the proceedings
    - the halfling, Finnias, is seen at Chadwick's in the presence of a dark stranger, who is believed to be Ormand
    - after the session concludes in the evening, Dorn meets with Finnias at Chadwick's, they share a number of drinks, talk as friends and leave together
    - the Cirruneth meet with Lord Balimthorpe in closed quarters for about an hour

Day 1
    - early in the morning, Dorn's body is found and reported
    - the third session of the council is postponed, most of the delegates return to their homes
    - the Cirruneth leave the city
    - the Falston delegates return to Falston by evening and break the grim news
    - Dain is incensed and resolves to seek revenge, his friends Dagon and Talonus promise to help
    - the three of them set out immediately on borrowed mounts
    - in the middle of the night they are attack by four brigands on the road to Hawskridge, three are killed, one escapes

Day 2
    - the companions arrive in Hawksridge and begin to investigate
    - later that evening they discover the house where Dorn is thought to have been murdered, a beggar in the street points it out, saying that he saw two men carrying the body out the door
    - Dagon and Talonus search the house and discover some poisonous mushrooms, a strange feather, and a deck of marked cards
    - on their way back to the inn, they are approached by Ormand, who demands the return of his cards
    - Ormand nearly kills Dagon and Talonus negotiates the exchange of the cards for Dagon's life, but manages to secretly keep one card

Day 3
    - the companions speak to Chadwick and discover much of the foregoing information
    - horses are procured for the ride north to seach for Finnias
    - Talonus sings a heart-rending account of the life and death of Dorn, the Hero of Falston
    - he learns of the demise of the brigand leader Galt at the hands of Brock and of the meeting of the Cirruneth with Lord Balimthorpe III, Earl of Hawksridge

Day 4
    - the companions set out from Hawksridge
    - that afternoon, they are again set upon by brigands, this time there are 11 men, one of whom is the escapee from the first attack, named Tor
    - the brigands are defeated with the timely intervention of Naizan, an emissary from the northern city of Corlan Heights
    - Naizan is convinced to join the companion's search for the halfling, Finnias
    - the companions resume their journey and arrive at the Forest Inn

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Talonus

Talonus walks into the tavern, humming a joyful tune. As much as he enjoyed the tranquility of the road, he enjoyed the hustle and bustle of people more. His eyes scan the sparse room. Slim pickings for information but better than nothing. He heads to the bar carrying most of his possessions in hand.

"Barkeep? My friends and I will be needing a room. Something with a window. We are also looking for a halfling trapper by the name of Finnias. We had some business with him in Hawksridge but missed our appointment and were hoping to find him around here. Would you happen to know the name?"

Spoiler
    Show

Did we get any money from the defeated bandits?
    Last edited by Krezzlar; 2007-07-17 at 06:55 PM.

10. - Top - End - #160

RedWizardGuy

Naizan

Naizan gives the impression of being lost in thought, but the appearance is misleading. He follows Talonus up to the bar, his elegant clothing out of place in the rustic surroundings. He observes the patrons in the bar carefully, trying to decide who are locals and who are travellers.

Spoiler
    Show
    What would that be, spot? (1d20+2)[7]

11. - Top - End - #161
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Inside the Forest Inn

Spoiler
    Show
    If you guys bothered to check the bodies (no one mentioned it, but i'm fine with being a little revisionist on that), you'd have found about 30 gold. The only reason I say 'if' is because it might be out of character for you, so just confirm with me whether you think it's something you'd have done.

Naizan, I think the appropriate skill would be Sense Motive (which you're actually much better at--your result would be 14 instead of 7). It's not a test of sight but a test of understanding. Anyway, it's not hard to determine. The two sitting by themselves are obviously travellers. The boisterous bunch at the large table look like forest-folk.

Dain and Dagon find seats at an unoccupied table and order food and drink. Talonus and Naizan approach the barkeep. "Yes, of course. A room with a window is no trouble. The fee will be six falcons a night."

Spoiler
    Show
    Coins in Hawksridge and the other ex-Cirrunethi principalities have retained the designs of their Cirruneth days. There were three major houses of nobility in Cirrune. The ruling house had the falcon as their symbol and it is embossed upon the gold coins they minted. Silver coins bear the griffon, and copper coins the orchid, symbols of the other two noble houses. Many of these coins are still in circulation, and where new coins have been made, effort has been taken to reproduce these symbols as closely as possible. Thus, coins tend to be referred to colloquially as falcons, griffons, and orchids and these coins are common to all of the local regions.

"Finnias?" the barkeep asks of the air above his head. Apparently having received an answer, he continues. "Yes, yes, I believe I know Finnias. He comes in here on his way back from the city, usually, and spends a night or two getting drunk with his friends. I'm sure some of those fellows would know him better than I," he says, indicating with a glance and a nod of his head the group of men at the large table. One of them is singing a popular drinking verse, badly.
    Last edited by Kinthas; 2007-07-19 at 01:50 AM.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Talonus

Spoiler
    Show

I thought that Dain had searched them. I guess I misinterpreted search for weapons as search the bodies.

And you realize it's 2gp a day for a good room and 5sp for a common room in the player's handbook? Inflation might be different here, just checking.

"Those gentlemen over there you say? Well, here's the Falcons for the rooms, another 1 for a bottle of wine and another 1 for yourself. See to it that there are enough mattresses for all four of us please, we have had a hard journey and miss the comforts that a roof over our heads present."

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy check for barkeep (1d20+12)[20]

He then turns back to his companions. "Some of us should check with those individuals in the corner as well in case they know anything. I'll talk to our rowdy friends over there."

Talonus then heads over to the drinkers and puts a wide grin on his face. He takes out his vihuela and strums along to the drinking tune and joins in singing backup to the tone deaf patron while egging him on.

"Oh, and every cow will have it's hay
    And every dog will have it's day.
    But if it's alright with you, I would rather not stay.
    For no treasure in the world is worth marrying Fat May.
    "

When the songs over, he'll share a laugh with the patrons and say "Well, I hope you drink better than you sing or you won't last long drinking with me."

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy check for drunks (1d20+12)[27]
    Last edited by Krezzlar; 2007-07-19 at 06:33 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The Forest Inn

Spoiler
    Show
    The charge for the inn is high, but not unreasonable. I figured 2g is for a room with one bed. You need four beds, and this in has a rather special location so there's no competition. It's a fairly nice inn and you are getting the best room. I suppose I should have mentioned that it was a high-ish price and let you haggle, but I don't think 6g will break your bank. I didn't think you'd want to spend the time writing about that. If you want to have negotiated for a lower price, you can make a charisma check. I don't think there's a skill for haggle, is there?

The barkeep thanks you kindly for your generosity and assures you that the beds will be the most comfortable you have ever slept in. He produces a bottle of wine from under the bar and four clean mugs. He also orders the kitchen help to heat up some of the stew from dinner which he promises to serve as soon as it's warm. "Please make yourself comfortable, gentlemen. I am at your service."

Talonus goes over to the large table and begins to play. The song is greatly improved with your voice and instrument, though you can't quite repair the damage the lead singer is doing. Nonetheless, when the song is over there is much laughter around the table and you are welcomed warmly with an offer of an overflowing mug of ale. "An elf! An elf has come to drink with us! Be glad, my friends, for it is a good omen," one of the patrons calls over the general noise. The talk quiets for a minute to let him deliver his line. "But good omens are fleeting, and this one shall soon be under the table!" Raucous laughter ensues. You are thumped on the back more than once as you are encouraged to drink deeply.
    Last edited by Kinthas; 2007-07-21 at 08:28 PM.

14. - Top - End - #164

RedWizardGuy

Naizan Naizan watches Talonus insinuate himself smoothly with the revelers. The bard certainly has a way with people. Naizan has had much experience with negotiations and private dealmaking, but he has never found it easy to ingratiate himself with strangers. It would seem, however, that this situation calls or just that.

He walks over to the table with the two travellers.

"Excuse me, gentlemen," he asks politely, "Would you mind if I joined you? The other table seems a little raucous."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy check (1d20+9)[11]

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The Forest Inn

The two travellers, a man and a woman, stop speaking as Naizan approaches. They glance at each other as you ask to sit down, but the man says, "Yeah, sure, have a seat. My name is Berthold and this is my sister, Leeza." The woman looks past you to Dain and Dagon who sit at their own table. "Are you traveling with those men?" she asks.
    Last edited by Kinthas; 2007-08-07 at 04:56 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166

RedWizardGuy

Naizan

Naizan nods in response.
    "We met on the road. They're good men, but neither is much for conversation. The fellow with the lute is the talkative one, but he maybe goes a bit far in the other direction. My name is Naizan Fendake. I'm from Corlan. I'm very pleased to meet both of you. I take it you are travellers as well?"

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Talonus

Talonus knew he couldn't match the rowdy humans drink for drink. He quickly casts a Prestidigitation spell and using a series of jokes, games, tricks, bluffs and distractions, he tries to maintain the illusion that he's drinking heavily with the other patrons.

Spoiler
    Show

Bluff roll (1d20+8)[14]

"You know who's also good to share a pint with? This halfling trapper I met, last time I was this way. Little fellow, name was Fin-something. A little strange at first but a hoot once he had a few drinks in him. Don't suppose any of you gents would know where I could find him?"

18. - Top - End - #168
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Two Conversations

Berthold and Leeza glance at each other again before both nodding in response to Naizan's question. They appear somewhat uncomfortable to have been engaged by you. Berthold speaks: "Yes, we're also from Corlan, on our way to Hawksridge, and then to Belgard." Belgard is a large port city, situated on the coast at the mouth of the river Bel, the same that flows past Hawksridge. The city is many days travel to the south and east. From further smalltalk, you discover that they are heading to Belgard to visit their uncle, a successful textiles merchant, who is ill and not expected to survive long. Their father, Alswith, is a tailor of some fame in Corlan. He produces clothing for many of the courtiers and nobles. Berthold is a handsome young man in his early twenties. He appears tall and well-built and is dressed in rough but serviceable traveling attire. He has a suspicious attitude. Leeza is a very attractive young woman of perhaps sixteen. She is also dressed in serviceable traveling attire, but plainly is unused to the conditions of the road. Her skin is pale and smooth and her long blonde hair is tousled from the wind.

Talonus merrily banters with the boisterous patrons and appears to drink his fair share and then some. The men are generally good-natured, at least for the moment, and appear to genuinely enjoy your company. You tell some excellent jokes and sing a few good drinking songs. The mood is cheerful and carefree, very much in contrast to the mood at Naizan's table. Dagon and Dain sit back, sipping ale and watching each scene unfold, exchanging occasional commentary. At the mention of Finnias, the man who joked earlier about your drinking capacity responds affirmatively. "Aye, he's a decent fellow. Got a cabin about twenty miles from here." You are able to use the goodwill you have engendered at the table to extract some passable directions without arousing much suspicion. The cabin is to the west and north. You turn north when you reach the big rock. Apparently it's hard to miss. There are game trails that you can follow most of the way.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry about the delay for a few days, I've had a very busy weekend.
    Last edited by Kinthas; 2007-08-01 at 06:07 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169

DruidGuy

Dagon

Exhausted from the day's travails, Dagon makes no effort to mingle. To him, a quiet table well-appointed with non-alcoholic drinks and comfort food would be the ticket to his private corner of nirvana. He listens iddly to Talonus' singing, more by the default of proximity than by any real effort.

When the revellers speak of Finnias, Dagon's attention peaks but for an instant. He notes the mention of trapper routes and finds himself almost excited at the thought. Even though he had waited long for an oppurtunity to travel beyond Falston the outside world had not been what he had expected. There were too many... people, and his experience in Hawkeridge had done little to recommend the hospitality of cities or their folk.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Talonus

"20 miles? Ah, a shame. Hopefully he'll stop by here before we are required to depart. Now, where were we?" Talonus asks before launching into another song.

After a little while longer celebrating with the rowdy patrons, Talonus begs his leave of them promising to write a ballad extolling their drinking ability. He staggers, catching himself repeatedly on conveniently positioned furniture, to where Dagon and Dain sit. He speaks in a hushed tone "Well, looks like we know where to find Finnias now. Since it is late and we're all tired, well at least Dagon and I are tired, perhaps we should retire and set out in the morning?"

21. - Top - End - #171

DruidGuy

Dagon

Finishing up some chicken pot pie, Dagon wipes his mouth and sets a hand on Talonus' arm.

"Here," he says, "let me help you up. I don't know what trick you pulled but liquor is liquor, and you've never held yours well."

Getting up, Dagon glances over at Naizan's table.

"It looks like our new companion is enthusiastic as ever. Well I hope he's enjoying himself. Goodness knows we haven't had enough funlately."

Without any further ado the young human makes his way, giving his elven friend a steadying support as needed, up to the party's room. Judging the inn a safe enough place, Dagon invokes the power of Luna and bids his remaining wounds shut. That accomlished, he heads off to sleep.

Spoiler
    Show

Cure light wounds x 2:

(1d8+2)[4]
    (1d8+2)[4]

22. - Top - End - #172
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Dain

Dain finishes off a mug of beer and plunks the empty vessel down on the table. "I'm going to have a few more before I head upstairs. You two go ahead. I'll watch Naizan's back," he says in a low voice. Dain is sitting with his back to the wall, his war axe leaning, blade down, against the wall next to him.
    Last edited by Kinthas; 2007-08-06 at 11:40 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Breakfast with Melons

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm just going to move things along rather than wait for Naizan to post. We can fill out his conversation with Berthold and Leeza later and make retroactive changes to the storyline as necessary.

Naizan finishes his conversation heads upstairs with Dain a little while later. The four of you spend a comfortable night in a large corner room of the Forest Inn. No one bothers you and the inn stays relatively quiet until you wake a little past dawn. Breakfast is a hearty affair with eggs, sausages, cheese, and even ripe melon, which you're amazed to find at an inn in the middle of a forest. As you sit, finishing the last vestiges of your morning meal, conversation turns towards planning for the day ahead.

Dain suggests the party set out immediately for Finnias' cabin. The horses are still likely to be a bit tired from the long day of travel yesterday, and the forest terrain will make for slow riding in any case, so Dain also recommends that the party walk, leaving the horses stabled at the inn. Lastly, he suggests that the party consider hiring a guide to lead them to the cabin.

Spoiler
    Show
    Feel free to agree or disagree with Dain. These are his in-character suggestions, not my out-of-character hints.
    Last edited by Kinthas; 2007-08-08 at 02:23 PM.

24. - Top - End - #174

DruidGuy

Dagon

Dagon eagerly devours his fare, but eyes the melon with obvious unease. Not until he sees Talonus munching down on the strange-looking fruit does he do likewise to his portion.

"I'd tend to agree with Dain," he says to the group. "The horses need a good rest, especially after what happened on the road. We'll be lucky if that didn't spook them beyond usefulness."

"Besides," he continues, "I'm eager to be putting some ground beneath my feet. As for a guide, that mightn't be a bad idea, though the question would be who, of course. You two wouldn't have found anyone fitting the needs last night would you?"

The last he says to Naizan and Talonus.
    Last edited by Breece; 2007-08-08 at 06:55 PM.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Talonus

Talonus eats a light breakfast, steering away from the heavy sausages and eggs. His stomach was still a bit queasy from the night before although he handled it with his typical elven grace. He was grateful for the melon and when he was done, nothing remained but a thin piece of shell.

"I'll trust Dagon on the horses, I don't mind walking a little even if it's just to stretch the legs. As for a guide, I can certainly look around for one but would it take time as well as deplete our funds. I leave the decision with you Dagon, as you will be the one deciphering the directions we received last night if we do without a guide. I am more concerned about another ambush than getting lost really. Perhaps Dagon or Naizan can range ahead slightly while the others bring the horses along."

26. - Top - End - #176

DruidGuy

Dagon

Dagon shakes his head.

"If we are ambushed, the horses will only be a liability. The path you describe will take us into the back woods, and that is no place for the rides we've brought along."

"As for a guide, you're probably right in that it will drain our rather lean coffers. What's more, I don't want to drag any more bystanders into this... situation."

"I say we head out once we're done with breakfast, stow our mounts, and cover some ground before the noon heat sets in."
    Last edited by Breece; 2007-08-09 at 05:59 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Tracking the Trapper

Having agreed upon the details, the party settles their breakfast bill and sets out alone on Finnias' trail. The horses are left stabled at the inn. You pay for a week in advance (14 gold falcons) with the understanding that, should you return earlier, you will be refunded in part.

The instructions you were given require you to travel north for a couple of miles to find a particular game trail where it crosses the road. The spot is marked with a small standing stone bearing a white slash. Then you are to turn west and follow the trail for nearly ten miles until you reach the Big Rock, which is actually a hill of stone some two hundred feet high. It can be seen from quite a distance by climbing the occasional tree to take your bearings. From there, you are supposed to switch trails to one that runs in a north-westerly direction, towards the hills that demarcate the territory of the Kingdom of Corlan. Another six miles should bring you to a swift stream, at which point you leave the trail and head upstream to the north-east. The cabin of Finnias lies about a mile in that direction.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dagon, I'm assuming from Talonus' comments that you're going to attempt to lead the party using these directions. Please indicate whether you are going to employ any special tactics, whether or not you will follow the directions exactly, how you will approach the cabin, et cetera. Make 5 survival rolls and any other rolls you think you might need to make based on your intended course. I will use them if circumstances require it.
    Last edited by Kinthas; 2007-08-10 at 01:43 AM.

28. - Top - End - #178

DruidGuy

Dagon

Dagon reviews Talonus' instructions carefully. While the others are stowing the mounts, he prepares copies of the instructions for each individual, keeping it carefully in a well-oiled pouch. He also finds and annoints a small group of berries which he likewise portions to the group. That done he takes some time for himself.

Luna invictus, mistress of the wild children, may we seek favour among the wardens of your realm.

Dagon contemplates the harmony and furor of the animal world, seeking the key to friendship with beasts should the need arise.

Spoiler
    Show

1) casting Goodberry:
    - (2d4)[6]
    - they are evenly split among Naizan, Talonus, and Dain

2) switching out one casting of Cure Light Wounds for Charm Animal

He follows that paths that are visible, cleaving as closely to the instructions as possible. While no climber, he does his best to keep an eye out for the landmarks as indicated.

Spoiler
    Show

No particular strategy other than taking an even but not-too-fast pace and making note of the local flora and fauna. He'll be on the lookout for possible cave formations as well, the type wherein the deadly mushrooms might be lurking.

Survival roll 1: (1d20+10)[23]
    Survival roll 2: (1d20+10)[30]
    Survival roll 3: (1d20+10)[21]
    Survival roll 4: (1d20+10)[11]
    Survival roll 5: (1d20+10)[12]

"We should be careful on approaching the cabin," Dagon tells the others as they start the trek. "A trapper's home is something akin to his sacred ground. We'll be trespassers in his eyes irregardless the circumstance or intent. Besides, I think if I saw a group of heavily armed men approaching my otherwise-isolated home, I'd probably get ansy too. Tal, do you have any ideas on how to handle our first meeting?"

29. - Top - End - #179
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Talonus

Talonus lets out a yawn as he eyes the journey ahead of them.

"Not really sure. Just be careful and keep your eyes open. I tend to just make up these things as I go anyway. Keep our sense alert during the trek as well, don't want to be jumped by any predators either."

30. - Top - End - #180

DruidGuy

Dagon

Dagon yawns heartily.

"I wouldn't worry too much about predators. Humans are the most dangerous type you know."

Stepping on to an outcropping of granite, he tries to get his bearings.

"I mean, we eat just about anything, and hunt pretty much anything we put our minds to."

Seemingly satisfied with the direction the group is heading in, he jumps back down, brushing off his shorts. Turning to Talonus, he grins merrily.

"Besides, I'm sure we'll be able to handle ourselves if anything overly aggressive decides to turn up. Unless it's more bandits. Can't really account for them. In any case," he says, turning to the north, "I think it's this way."
    Last edited by Breece; 2007-08-13 at 05:42 PM.