or sinful ideas. BBefore making an attack roll with a
    weapon currently modified by his gentle touch ability
    against an Aberration, Undead, or an Outsider whose
    alignment is at least one step different from his own, the
    sineater can choose to take up to 1 point of essence burn
    per class level as a free action to deal an additional 5
    hit points of damage per point of essence burned. The
    sineater cannot take more essence burn than he has
    essence currently available when activating this ability.
    Also glad to see that Path of the Ruler lets you exclude people right from 1st now. Though I guess the bonus essence alternate racial traits for existing races ended up not happening? I could have sworn at some point there was talk of letting humans swap out Skilled or something, but maybe that got cut. Or I imagined it.

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dreamscarred Press Presents: Akashic Mysteries, Thread 2

Quote Originally Posted by master4sword View Post
    Another small typo I saw in classes, under the Sineater philosophy:

Also glad to see that Path of the Ruler lets you exclude people right from 1st now. Though I guess the bonus essence alternate racial traits for existing races ended up not happening? I could have sworn at some point there was talk of letting humans swap out Skilled or something, but maybe that got cut. Or I imagined it.
    It was a thing at one point, at least in the discussion thread. A human with an extra essence point is great for hand cannon builds, ranged combat eats the feats so fast.

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

I just got the notice that the Akashic Mysteries PDFs got updated. Would it be possible to have a version history in it? It's hard to tell what has changed at a glance. Also, DRP2509 still doesn't match DRP2503 for the Hand cannon veil.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

4. - Top - End - #1444
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    I just got the notice that the Akashic Mysteries PDFs got updated. Would it be possible to have a version history in it? It's hard to tell what has changed at a glance. Also, DRP2509 still doesn't match DRP2503 for the Hand cannon veil.
    We haven't updated the individual releases yet (and this one is on me; I haven't had the opportunity to get the updated lists for the Vizier/Guru/Daevic individual releases to Forrest), but everything in the compiled release for those who have the subscription is the final version, with the exception of some editing and layout corrections.

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ssalarn View Post
    We haven't updated the individual releases yet (and this one is on me; I haven't had the opportunity to get the updated lists for the Vizier/Guru/Daevic individual releases to Forrest), but everything in the compiled release for those who have the subscription is the final version, with the exception of some editing and layout corrections.
    So 2509 is gospel?
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

6. - Top - End - #1446
    Barbarian in the Playground

Here's a catch for you if you haven't already got it: Bloody Shroud lacks guru notes on the classes line and bind level reminders, or is incorrectly listed as a guru veil in the list of body veils.

Rules question: Does the DC for the bind effect on Hands of the Bard scale by only the basic veil saving throw DC formula (10 + the essence invested + your veilweaving modifier), or does it gain the benefit of its basic effect as well (since it is itself a pattern effect), thus effectively making the DC 12 + twice the essence invested + your VM?

And a weird bug: There is no DC formula given when you shape a veil with the Shape Veil feat, as veil DCs are set by the class you gain them from rather than basic veil rules.
    Last edited by Powerdork; 2016-08-18 at 06:44 PM.
    The future is bright.

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Picked this up this morning. I have to look at it more to digest everything, but so far I like what I'm seeing. The akashic races all have the akashic subtype; I think there should be some sort of note that it gives the race low-light vision and immunity to sleep. Also, on the suqur, I often find it's sometimes overlooked that creatures and races with a fly speed automatically get Fly as a class skill; it might bear mentioning. Also, is it intended for the Nameer to keep the Sobek's sweeping tail trait? It seems ill-suited to a tiger.
    Last edited by Ninjaxenomorph; 2016-08-18 at 02:02 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Any ideas for how the Stone Giants Girdle Belt Bond interacts with the Armory of the Conqueror?

Cause Rock throwing damage is based on slam damage, so do I get the size increase twice? Once for increasing effective Slam size, and once for increasing the effective size of the actual rock?
    Really figuring out how much damage it does is a headache to me, cause Rock Throwing is a universal ability that seems like no actual Giant really follows that closely.

Oh and hopefully mentioned already, but all the Deivic Belt soul meld binds have D16 instead of D13, really confused me when I was first looking through it.
    Last edited by Giddonihah; 2016-08-18 at 10:50 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1449
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Giddonihah View Post
    Any ideas for how the Stone Giants Girdle Belt Bond interacts with the Armory of the Conqueror?

Cause Rock throwing damage is based on slam damage, so do I get the size increase twice? Once for increasing effective Slam size, and once for increasing the effective size of the actual rock?
    Really figuring out how much damage it does is a headache to me, cause Rock Throwing is a universal ability that seems like no actual Giant really follows that closely.
    The general rule in Pathfinder is that effective size increases don't stack, so I belive the two wouldn't interact, you'd just get the better of the two. That's a relatively recent ruling based on an FAQ with little hard rules coverage though, so... Do with that what you will.

Oh and hopefully mentioned already, but all the Deivic Belt soul meld binds have D16 instead of D13, really confused me when I was first looking through it.
    Yeah, this was noted and we'll be fixing it. Thanks for letting us know!

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaxenomorph View Post
    Picked this up this morning. I have to look at it more to digest everything, but so far I like what I'm seeing. The akashic races all have the akashic subtype; I think there should be some sort of note that it gives the race low-light vision and immunity to sleep.
    Noted.

Also, on the suqur, I often find it's sometimes overlooked that creatures and races with a fly speed automatically get Fly as a class skill; it might bear mentioning.
    A fair point, and redundancy rarely hurts.

Also, is it intended for the Nameer to keep the Sobek's sweeping tail trait? It seems ill-suited to a tiger.
    I had thought about taking it away, but a badass tigerfolk claw flurrying and then hooking an enemies feet with its tail seemed pretty cool, and tigers do typically have tails that are about a meter long. An old Korean proverb,"If you tread on the tail of a tiger, you will know it", finally kind of sealed the deal for me and led me to decide to leave the nameer with the sweeping tail racial ability as a cool option a little different than you might normally see on a feline player race.
    Last edited by Ssalarn; 2016-08-19 at 01:09 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1450
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

I just realized that the Stone Giants Girdle Rock throwing ability seems to be missing a range increment size.
    The universal ability just has "The size of the range increment varies with the creature." so I guess it needs to be provided in the ability itself.
    Would be pretty awesome if it uses the 180ft increments of a Stone Giant.

11. - Top - End - #1451

Planetar

I read through most of the book yesterday and I gotta say, this has to be all-around my favorite DSP supplement. I love Path of War, but the options there for GMs I think are severely lacking; I love that the flavor is hitched to mythology that's rarely seen in RPGs like Pathfinder. The only thing I can complain about is that it shows its age in places, mostly the archetypes; archetypes for non-unchained monk and summoner, plus a fighter archetype that gives up Weapon and Armor Training. I do have to ask, are more Passions, Philosophies, and Mystic Attunements on the table for future releases?

12. - Top - End - #1452

You know, come to think of it, my issue with the Shape Veil feat from late in the playtest (that it refers to 'normal veilweaving rules' which don't exist) has not been addressed. Someone with Shape Veil lacks a veilweaver level, the ability to shape their daily veils (to reassign Enhanced Capacity to, for instance, another feat or a magic item receptacle), and a DC for their veils.
    Last edited by Powerdork; 2016-08-19 at 02:38 PM.
    The future is bright.

13. - Top - End - #1453
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaxenomorph View Post
    I read through most of the book yesterday and I gotta say, this has to be all-around my favorite DSP supplement. I love Path of War, but the options there for GMs I think are severely lacking; I love that the flavor is hitched to mythology that's rarely seen in RPGs like Pathfinder. The only thing I can complain about is that it shows its age in places, mostly the archetypes; archetypes for non-unchained monk and summoner, plus a fighter archetype that gives up Weapon and Armor Training. I do have to ask, are more Passions, Philosophies, and Mystic Attunements on the table for future releases?
    Glad you like it! Yes, there are a couple aged archetypes since it unfortunately took so long to get through layout, but that's something I hope to address with some unchained archetypes in a future supplement. More Passions, Philosophies, and Mystic Attunements are absolutely in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by Metool View Post
    You know, come to think of it, my issue with the Shape Veil feat from late in the playtest (that it refers to 'normal veilweaving rules' which don't exist) has not been addressed. Someone with Shape Veil lacks a veilweaver level, the ability to shape their daily veils (to reassign Enhanced Capacity to, for instance, another feat or a magic item receptacle), and a DC for their veils.
    Let me do some digging around and see what the deal was (at work atm), but Shape Veil veils require 8 hours rest, take 1 hour to shape, and the DC is WIS based so 10 + essence + Wis.

Quote Originally Posted by Giddonihah View Post
    I just realized that the Stone Giants Girdle Rock throwing ability seems to be missing a range increment size.
    The universal ability just has "The size of the range increment varies with the creature." so I guess it needs to be provided in the ability itself.
    Would be pretty awesome if it uses the 180ft increments of a Stone Giant.
    Just realized that there are two places that reference rock throwing, and I had the monstrous trait up when verifying that ability instead of the universal monster rule. It should follow this rule:

A "rock" is any large, bulky, and relatively regularly shaped object made of any material with a hardness of at least 5. A thrown rock has a range increment of 120 feet. The creature can hurl the rock up to five rage increments.
    Last edited by Ssalarn; 2016-08-19 at 05:15 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1454

Minor nitpick:

Page 13 under Revitalizing Breath, breath of life isn't italicized (which I am pretty sure should be). I could be wrong, and if I am, ignore this.

15. - Top - End - #1455

Let me do some digging around and see what the deal was (at work atm), but Shape Veil veils require 8 hours rest, take 1 hour to shape, and the DC is WIS based so 10 + essence + Wis.
    And their granted veilweaver level doesn't exist, so if the veil they shape (like a crusader's shield) takes more damage than Not A Number, they're suppressed for 1d4 rounds as usual?
    The future is bright.

16. - Top - End - #1456
    Halfling in the Playground

Goblin

And their granted veilweaver level doesn't exist, so if the veil they shape (like a crusader's shield) takes more damage than Not A Number, they're suppressed for 1d4 rounds as usual?
    From an un-updated copy of the book - The last sentence before the line break and Special: part of the feat says, "Your veilweaver level for this veil is equal to your character level."

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by neversterling View Post
    From an un-updated copy of the book - The last sentence before the line break and Special: part of the feat says, "Your veilweaver level for this veil is equal to your character level."
    I'm thinking that line got eaten at some point and needs to be reintroduced; I'll be reviewing all the feedback and editing and layout issues we've had reported tomorrow and I'll make sure this is one of the items that gets added to the list so it can be addressed before we order the print proof.

18. - Top - End - #1458

Pistolero's Bind and Veiled in Purity possess the akashic tag but don't follow the stated rules for akashic feats.

I want to take a red pen to this book. Hit me up.
    Last edited by Powerdork; 2016-08-23 at 09:11 AM.
    The future is bright.

19. - Top - End - #1459
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

The Bangles of the Jealous Seductress are listed as being Hands and Wrist slots, when they're really just Wrist.

20. - Top - End - #1460

The apsara and yatudhana have the View Energy akashic feat, which is listed as a special ability, and supernatural, at that. However, nothing about the feat itself suggests that it's magical, and no rule exists that makes every akashic feat a supernatural ability; only veils themselves are defined as magical enough to merit being shut off in antimagic fields. Meanwhile, the guru has several essence-compatible abilities (stunning fist and seal wounds, plus a couple of philosophy abilities) that are extraordinary in nature. The daevic and vizier class features also lack tags denoting ability type, which throws yet more confusion into this matter. However, Veilbound Resilience calls itself out as a supernatural ability, making it the exception that proves the rule that akashic feats are (extra)ordinary feats.

Long story short, these are things I should have caught in the playtest and I am sorry.
    The future is bright.

21. - Top - End - #1461
    Ogre in the Playground

Pistolero's Bind and Veiled in Purity possess the akashic tag but don't follow the stated rules for akashic feats.

I want to take a red pen to this book. Hit me up.
    There's a clause for the akashic feats that states "Some akashic feats may not be appropriate as essence receptacles, but provide other benefits dependent on a character's essence pool or other akashic options" which was aimed at outliers like Veiled in Purity and Pistolero's Bind which don't act like normal akashic feats but are still reliant enough on akashic options that they warrant the descriptor.

The apsara and yatudhana have the View Energy akashic feat, which is listed as a special ability, and supernatural, at that. However, nothing about the feat itself suggests that it's magical, and no rule exists that makes every akashic feat a supernatural ability; only veils themselves are defined as magical enough to merit being shut off in antimagic fields. Meanwhile, the guru has several essence-compatible abilities (stunning fist and seal wounds, plus a couple of philosophy abilities) that are extraordinary in nature. The daevic and vizier class features also lack tags denoting ability type, which throws yet more confusion into this matter. However, Veilbound Resilience calls itself out as a supernatural ability, making it the exception that proves the rule that akashic feats are (extra)ordinary feats.

Long story short, these are things I should have caught in the playtest and I am sorry.
    Better late than never! Thanks for the heads up.

22. - Top - End - #1462

There's a clause for the akashic feats that states "Some akashic feats may not be appropriate as essence receptacles, but provide other benefits dependent on a character's essence pool or other akashic options" which was aimed at outliers like Veiled in Purity and Pistolero's Bind which don't act like normal akashic feats but are still reliant enough on akashic options that they warrant the descriptor.
    Sure, but the akashic feat guidelines listed in the book note that akashic feats "typically" can be invested, but that same line has something that reads more solid than a guideline: akashic feats... "grant additional essence" straight up. If it's meant to be anything else, the text could stand to be less ambiguous.
    The future is bright.

23. - Top - End - #1463
    Halfling in the Playground

Goblin

I have a couple questions about the Guru's Gentle Touch:

I thought it had originally been 1d4 extra damage for every one essence invested after the first. However, the text states, "For every point of essence invested in this ability, the charged weapon deals an additional 1d4 damage." This is in addition to the Wisdom modifier to damage mentioned earlier in the description. Is this description accurate, that, say, a level 1 Guru with the Akasin philosophy can swing a greatsword at a non-construct, non-undead and deal 2d6+1d4+1.5*STR+WIS without nabbing Enhanced Capacity at level 1, and 2d+2d4+1.5*STR+WIS with the feat?

Also, the Guru is proficient with all simple weapons, while all Philosophy weapons are Martial or Exotic. Gentle Touch specifies that it can only charge Philosophy weapons, so simple weapon proficiency is almost completely useless/ignored. Would it be overpowered to allow the Guru to apply Gentle Touch to simple weapons without the Philosophy of Battle feat?

Thanks, Ssalarn, I'm really enjoying the options and flavor in this book!

24. - Top - End - #1464
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by neversterling View Post
    I have a couple questions about the Guru's Gentle Touch:

I thought it had originally been 1d4 extra damage for every one essence invested after the first. However, the text states, "For every point of essence invested in this ability, the charged weapon deals an additional 1d4 damage." This is in addition to the Wisdom modifier to damage mentioned earlier in the description. Is this description accurate, that, say, a level 1 Guru with the Akasin philosophy can swing a greatsword at a non-construct, non-undead and deal 2d6+1d4+1.5*STR+WIS without nabbing Enhanced Capacity at level 1, and 2d+2d4+1.5*STR+WIS with the feat?
    So, I'm feeling like it got edited at some point without me being aware, or else I've forgotten a fairly important conversation, because I know it was originally 1d4 for each point of essence after the first. I'll powwow with the team and see if anyone recalls when/why that changed.

Also, the Guru is proficient with all simple weapons, while all Philosophy weapons are Martial or Exotic. Gentle Touch specifies that it can only charge Philosophy weapons, so simple weapon proficiency is almost completely useless/ignored. Would it be overpowered to allow the Guru to apply Gentle Touch to simple weapons without the Philosophy of Battle feat?
    Gentle Touch and Philosophy weapons are meant to represent really specific connections between your abilities and the way you fight, with simple weapons being a solid fall back and a representation of the basic combat training almost all 3/4 BAB classes have. That being said, I can't think of anything that would break by allowing a character to downgrade and use Gentle Touch with simple weapons, so from a balance perspective you should be fine.

Thanks, Ssalarn, I'm really enjoying the options and flavor in this book!
    You're very welcome! Thank you for your support, and I'm glad you're enjoying it.

FYI everyone, expect an e-mail update in the near future. I collected a ton of editing feedback from posters here and elsewhere, compiled it, and sent it off to Forrest who update the source doc, so you should get an updated download with all the little tweaks and fixes that didn't get caught earlier or cropped up during layout as soon as Jeremy has the opportunity to send it off to the various distributors. I believe we're still on track for an October print release, but more on that as I hear details.

25. - Top - End - #1465

Planetar

I too thought that Gentle Touch dealt additional damage of Wis+1d4 with one essence invested.

Edit: I've been looking into the Veiled Lord (as the warlord is my favorite PoW class), and while I am intrigued, the action economy puzzles me a little. You have a veil (or three), but the only essence you get is in combat, usually a round or two in, though you may want to try them right away, ignoring their ability to recover maneuvers. And then you have to spend your swift action NEXT turn actually investing it; on a class that gets boosts and counters, I don't see investing essence to get what is usually a number boost to be much of a bonus. And I understood why the archetype gives up bonus feats, since otherwise it would just be swapping out teamwork feats for veils, which isn't much of a contest, but the investment required drives me away from the otherwise interesting archetype.
    Last edited by Ninjaxenomorph; 2016-08-31 at 11:09 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1466
    Pixie in the Playground

Hey there, was a huge fan of Path of War and decided to go and buy the Daevic class off of DrivethruRPG, class seems pretty rad but I got kinda frustrated/confused by something. The feat Tainted Essence seems like a really neat idea, and really plays into the concept I had in mind for a character, but there is only 1 feat with the [evil] descriptor, Bloody Shroud, and it has no profane bonus listed, which kinda seems like the feat is pointless in that case.

27. - Top - End - #1467
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

There's more veils with the Evil descriptor in the full release I suggest you get that. It includes new Daevic veils not in the Daevics individual release
    Kitten: *bats around a mini a few times*
    DM: "Ok, it looks like Fluffy...err, 'The Tarrasque'...Full Attacks the Cleric"
    Cleric: "Full attack my a**, that was just two claw attacks!"
    Kitten: *starts gnawing on the mini*
    Cleric: "...nevermind."

28. - Top - End - #1468

PirateGuy

To be fair, it still doesn't add a lot of veils native to the Daevic list, and with the Evil descriptor, and with profane bonuses. You are probably just using the Shape Soulmeld feat to poach Heart of the Wight from the vizier list. Deathchannel Ring and Dark Lord's Ring of Essence Binding would be candidates if you had access to the ring slot.

29. - Top - End - #1469
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I have a question about Chakra Binds. I may just be missing something, or I'm being confused by recollection of the old WotC rules.

In the old WotC Magic of Incarnum rules, you got limited Chakra Binds per day by level, and any Chakra you used for a bound Soulmeld couldn't be used for a magic item that day.

I can't find anything in the Akashic Mysteries "Chakras and Veils" section about limits on Chakra binding, or how bound veils (instead of just shaped veils) interact with magic items.

How do Chakra Binds work now?

30. - Top - End - #1470
    Dwarf in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rafilar View Post
    I have a question about Chakra Binds. I may just be missing something, or I'm being confused by recollection of the old WotC rules.

In the old WotC Magic of Incarnum rules, you got limited Chakra Binds per day by level, and any Chakra you used for a bound Soulmeld couldn't be used for a magic item that day.

I can't find anything in the Akashic Mysteries "Chakras and Veils" section about limits on Chakra binding, or how bound veils (instead of just shaped veils) interact with magic items.

How do Chakra Binds work now?
    They don't interact with magic items at all. You can bind veils based on your class and level (for instance, Viziers can bind Hands veils starting at 2nd level) - you can bind every chakra you've earned the appropriate level for, so long as you can shape enough veils to cover them all.