New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [Rail IC] Academy City IC I(.3)

Academy City. A place like no other. Thirty years ahead of the rest of the world, with more than two point three million people living inside its borders. And eighty percent of those are students in the many colleges, academies, and institutions that reside there. Of those students, the vast majority have abilities; known as ESPers, their powers can range from being able to get a vague sense of emotions when they touch someone to rewriting memories wholesale with a glance, making a tiny breath of wind ruffle someone's hair to summoning a raging gale that lifts cars and tears down buildings.

Of course, though on the surface everything is idyllic, it's just as much a lie as that always is; dangerous gangs called Skill-Outs, mostly renowned for their hatred of espers (hence their name), prowl wherever they can find unwary victims, or easy recruits. Hot-heads amongst the espers themselves challenge each other to see who's stronger, or roam in their own gangs.

And then there's the Dark Side. Most don't know about it. But in a city so free and with so many opportunities, between the powers people manifest and the extraordinary technology here, it was inevitable that... Unsavory... experiments would take place. Some are worse than others; all of them are hidden from prying eyes in one way or another - but that doesn't stop people from stumbling onto them, or being dragged in.

On top of that, it's the middle of winter. The breath of those in the streets frosts in front of them, fogging the crisp air, and there's even an occasional snow flurry that briefly manages to mantle this strange city in white. But that's to be expected; even here, the seasons still march on, and even the strongest espers don't have much effect on them. Though it's not clear if anyone's actually tried.

Today is much like any other, bells and chimes ringing out across the city to signal the end of classes, students rushing forth in a flood from the varied and myriad buildings onto the chilly streets, let free to seek their own amusement, or do whatever else they might find to occupy them today now that they've been released.
    Last edited by Lady Serpentine; 2015-06-26 at 12:43 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [Rail IC] Academy City IC I(.3)

At least one student was in no rush to depart. As usual, Ishimaru Moroe had opted to hang back and avoid the stampede. The thought of being crushed by a horde of impatient teenagers was enough to give her the shivers. Besides, it wasn't as if she had any place to be. She'd just heard that today's after-school activity had been cancelled due to bad weather. Apparently her target had slipped on an icy patch and cracked his own skull: Thus saving Moroe the trouble of doing it herself. So for the moment, her schedule was completely clear. She leaned idly against a wall and watched the other students pass by. Maybe she could find something to occupy her time...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

[ONIZUKA, NEAR MAIN ENTRANCE]

Ishimaru wasn't the only middle-schooler dragging their feet as the day's class schedule came to a close. Another kid, this one a foreigner in the midst of so many Japanese students, is taking his sweet time in the hallway leading to the entrance. In his case, however, it's mostly owed to his being focused on some worksheets from one of his classes. He alternates between reading the top page and checking to make sure he doesn't run into anyone. If uninterrupted, he may catch up to or pass Ishimaru shortly, depending on her own pace in comparison to his. She may even hear him muttering to himself about the assignment...

"[(Cripes, who wrote this, even? This doesn't make any sense...unless-...Wait, is this supposed to be...? Ugh, dangit, all of these Kanji look so similar. What good is reading other languages if they're not even written clearly...)]"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

"[The text looks clear enough to me. You sure it's not your brain that's the problem?]"

With no warning whatsoever, Moroe was suddenly walking beside Eli. She'd never quite grasped the art of polite entrances. Per the norm, her first words to him were an insult. She insisted on treating the boy like some annoying pest that wouldn't leave: While simultaneously helping with homework, giving directions, and offering him useful advice. It was just the way Moroe did things.

"[You just need to focus on the parts that really matter. Look, the key to this first question is...]"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

Near School Garden Entrance

Tsubasa, or as he often preferred to be called, Crocell, was at the gate leading out of the school garden. After all it was the best meeting place for him and one Miura Kin. Still she was actually running a little late this time. As such Tsubasa had started making a miniature fireworks show betwixt his hands. It was always a relatively braindead way to pass the time. Figuratively speaking of course since this past time required use of his powers to be enjoyed. Which was anything but brainless really. Still the point was that he had gotten bored enough to start distracting himself. Considering Kin's...temperment this was a poor choice for Tsubasa.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

A shivering figure made her way through the snowy streets. Miura Kin's Tokiwadai uniform did little to protect her against the cold. But lo, salvation was at hand! Just a little way ahead, she espied a source of endless, wondrous warmth! Though said source had his back to her, she'd recognise him anywhere. In a trice, she closed the distance between them to zero.

"Shiota-saaan!"

Crocell would suddenly find a pair of arms encircling him from behind; And a very familiar girl-shaped object pressing against his back. Kin sighed contentedly as the feeling returned to her freezing form. Shiota-san was the best heater ever.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    "[The text looks clear enough to me. You sure it's not your brain that's the problem?]"

With no warning whatsoever, Moroe was suddenly walking beside Eli. She'd never quite grasped the art of polite entrances. Per the norm, her first words to him were an insult. She insisted on treating the boy like some annoying pest that wouldn't leave: While simultaneously helping with homework, giving directions, and offering him useful advice. It was just the way Moroe did things.

"[You just need to focus on the parts that really matter. Look, the key to this first question is...]"
    Eli only barely fails to suppress a flinch as Ishimaru suddenly shows up at his side.

"[Ngh...Don't do that, Mo-...er, Ishimaru-san,]" greets Eli grumpily, with a quick correction in addressing her by her family name. "[I'll admit that I haven't mastered translating written Japanese yet, but still...]"

Despite his brief protest that the fault is not his own, he shuts up and listens as Ishimaru walks him through finding and correcting the fault in his logic. It probably won't sink in without a bit of memorization on his part, but it's certainly a step in the right direction. Eventually, once they reach a break in their discussion, he'll take a deep breath and straighten out his winter jacket a bit as they approach the entrance, now only slightly jammed with students eager to escape the school's confines.

"[Sheesh, this is hard...And here I used to think English was a confusing language...! This stuff makes it look like the simplest thing on the planet.]"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Moroe shrugged. Being a native speaker, Japanese of course seemed simple to her. Her pace slowed, so as to give the last few students a chance to dislodge themselves.

"[At least you're surrounded by the language you're trying to learn. All my English lessons came from computers.]"

It showed. Though Moroe's English was fine from a technical standpoint, she spoke with a very obvious accent. Clearly she didn't get much chance to use her linguistic skills in actual conversation. This was one of the many, many things that got on her nerves.

"[I really wish they'd let me skip all these useless subjects: Foreign languages, geography, world history, etc. I've never set foot outside this city, and I probably never will. Teaching me to navigate the world is like teaching you to navigate Mars. What's the point?]"

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

A shivering figure made her way through the snowy streets. Miura Kin's Tokiwadai uniform did little to protect her against the cold. But lo, salvation was at hand! Just a little way ahead, she espied a source of endless, wondrous warmth! Though said source had his back to her, she'd recognise him anywhere. In a trice, she closed the distance between them to zero.

"Shiota-saaan!"

Crocell would suddenly find a pair of arms encircling him from behind; And a very familiar girl-shaped object pressing against his back. Kin sighed contentedly as the feeling returned to her freezing form. Shiota-san was the best heater ever.
    Don't blush, don't blush, don't blu-d*mmit he blushed. Tsubasa's crimson face stood out against the white background provided by Academy City's rather cold weather and snowfall. His blush actually worse than usual as Kin was sticking herself to him a bit closer than usual, thanks to the fact she was actually using him for warmth instead of it just being her usual affection.

Still as it was pretty cold out so this time he wouldn't spaz out...he would try not to spaz out. Taking a deep breath and turning back towards Kin slightly stiffly, his body temperature rising with the redness of his face.

"Kin-chan, you surpised me again. Guess that's what happens when you don't pay attention. Still I'm glad you're here now. Was there anything you wanted to do before we started hanging out? I'm willing to bet you would love some cocoa right now."

Spaz out successfully avoided!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Kin remained completely oblivious to all this subtext. As someone untroubled by the torment of teenage hormones, she didn't understand how powerful they could be. She snuggled against Crocell in the spirit of platonic friendship: Little realising that his feelings for her were somewhat...different. Her sunny grin widened at the mention of warm drinks.

"Cocoa? Yes yes yes. Absolutely, positively, definitively yes. Then when we've warmed our bellies, we can go do something: Something indoors."

She intended to spend the entire journey firmly glued to her portable heater. How had she managed to survive the winters before he came along?
    Last edited by Anyr; 2015-07-10 at 04:39 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

School Garden gates->Nearby Cafe
    Realizing that Kin was not going to be dislodging herself from him anytime soon while they were outside Tsubasa gave a hard swallow as he figured he would have to just grin and bear it.

"Alrighty then Kin-chan, I know a place nearby we can go to."

Walking was a little awkward with how Kin had attached herself to him but it wasn't uncomfortable. He just had to take shorter strides then normal. Either way they reached the cafe within a few minutes, after which they found out that other students had a similar idea. The cafe's baristas were working hard as they prepared not only warm drinks but they were tasty and artful too. There seemed to be a great deal of girls from Tokiwadai that had stopped by along with a few boys from Azabu in between. Still at the least the line wasn't to long as most of the customers were seated already.

As they approached the counter one of the baristas moved to meet them there with a notepad and pencil.

Hello there, welcome to our establishment. How can I help you today?"

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

[Tokiwadai - Main Entrance]

At the main entrance, Otosaki Shizuka is getting a drink from the vending machine! She's dressed in the normal Tokiwadai school uniform with long black hair in a ponytail, and a grey messenger bag slung around her shoulders. Blowing some warm air into her hands, she shivers a little and sighs. Why couldn't it just be a little warm all the time?
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morcleon View Post

At the main entrance, Otosaki Shizuka is getting a drink from the vending machine! She's dressed in the normal Tokiwadai school uniform with long black hair in a ponytail, and a grey messenger bag slung around her shoulders. Blowing some warm air into her hands, she shivers a little and sighs. Why couldn't it just be a little warm all the time?
    Ryuko, a lissome young teen with black hair flowing about her shoulders, nears with the same intent of grabbing a drink. Her ebon, scarlet laced snowboots crunch the frosty coat of the sidewalk, a black skirt, secured via flame red belt, and onyx stockings adorning her legs and waist. a sleeveless, scarlet shirt lies under an openwhite sweatshirt, and a navy blue bookbag hangs from her shoulders
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

"Cocoa and croissants, please!"

Thanks to the crowds, it took Kin quite some time to reach a table. Not that the path was blocked or anything: She just kept stopping to greet people along the way. Her fellow students were treated to a far more restrained Kin than the one that Crocell usually saw. No tackle-hugs here. She limited herself to friendly waves, smiles, and the occasional word or two. These people were 'friends', but not friends. When she eventually sat down beside Crocell, though, she instantly reverted to 'Kin classic'.

"So, how was your day? Had any grand adventures? What do you want to do next? Normally I'd suggest hunting for the Imaginary Number District; But it's waaaay too cold. Any suggestions?"

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    Ryuko, a lissome young teen with black hair flowing about her shoulders, nears with the same intent of grabbing a drink. Her ebon, scarlet laced snowboots crunch the frosty coat of the sidewalk, a black skirt, secured via flame red belt, and onyx stockings adorning her legs and waist. a sleeveless, scarlet shirt lies under an openwhite sweatshirt, and a navy blue bookbag hangs from her shoulders

"Oh!" Shizuka draws back, surprised at the newcomer. She smiles faintly and steps back to let this stranger get a drink. "Sorry, was I in your way?"
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

16. - Top - End - #16

"Oh!" Shizuka draws back, surprised at the newcomer. She smiles faintly and steps back to let this stranger get a drink. "Sorry, was I in your way?"
    The geokinetic chuckles, purchasing a can of soda.
    not really, it's fine! Name's Ryuko, by the way
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Moroe shrugged. Being a native speaker, Japanese of course seemed simple to her. Her pace slowed, so as to give the last few students a chance to dislodge themselves.

"[At least you're surrounded by the language you're trying to learn. All my English lessons came from computers.]"

It showed. Though Moroe's English was fine from a technical standpoint, she spoke with a very obvious accent. Clearly she didn't get much chance to use her linguistic skills in actual conversation. This was one of the many, many things that got on her nerves.

"[I really wish they'd let me skip all these useless subjects: Foreign languages, geography, world history, etc. I've never set foot outside this city, and I probably never will. Teaching me to navigate the world is like teaching you to navigate Mars. What's the point?]"
    "[Beats me,]" Eli answers with a shrug. "[Maybe it's just paranoia or something like that. Adults like to try and prepare for every little thing...I guess you never know what'll happen, but yeah, I don't get it...]"

The foreigner folds up his papers and pockets them, then heaves a sigh.

"[Then again, here I am, in the middle of Academy City, learning to be a psychic. Who could've called that...? And hey, what would I have done if you didn't speak English? I would've been totally lost...So it's not a total waste, eh?]"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ImpSyndrome View Post
    "[Beats me,]" Eli answers with a shrug. "[Maybe it's just paranoia or something like that. Adults like to try and prepare for every little thing...I guess you never know what'll happen, but yeah, I don't get it...]"
    "[Preparing for the worst? I suppose that makes sense: Since the adults spend half their time creating the worst. Seriously, this city is a nightmare factory.]"

For a moment, Moroe's tone seemed way too grim. It almost sounded like she really believed that 'nightmare factory' nonsense. Maybe she was one of those conspiracy nuts who saw evil wherever they went. Either way, the moment didn't last long. She was soon back to her usual sarcastic self. Case in point:

"[Then again, here I am, in the middle of Academy City, learning to be a psychic. Who could've called that...? And hey, what would I have done if you didn't speak English? I would've been totally lost...So it's not a total waste, eh?]"
    "[Oh yes, how could I forget. Thanks to months of intense study, I'm now able to live my dream of giving directions to clueless newbies. Truly, that makes it all worthwhile.]"

Yep, back to normal. As usual, the jabs had no bite to them. If Moroe had genuinely felt that way about Eli, she wouldn't still be here. She stayed alongside the foreign boy as they walked out of the school, across the grounds, out the gates, up the street, and...Actually, why was she still here? They'd left the school ages ago. Truth be told, Moroe had no actual plan for the rest of her day. The job list was empty, all her guns were spotless, and she had only the vaguest notion of how normal teenagers spent their free time: But being the aloof cynical type, she couldn't bear to admit that. So instead, she just walked awkwardly beside Eli, while silently hoping that he'd lead her somewhere interesting. Because saying 'Hey, wanna go do something?' was obviously out of the question...
    Last edited by Anyr; 2015-07-19 at 11:20 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19

The geokinetic chuckles, purchasing a can of soda.
    not really, it's fine! Name's Ryuko, by the way

"I-I'm Shizuka," she replied, shuffling around anxiously. She took a sip from her own drink and glanced around before smiling hesitantly at Ryuko. "Are you a student here too?"

20. - Top - End - #20

"I-I'm Shizuka," she replied, shuffling around anxiously. She took a sip from her own drink and glanced around before smiling hesitantly at Ryuko. "Are you a student here too?"
    Ryuko shakes her head.
    No, I go to Onizuka. I don't particularly enjoy the confinement of dress that uniforms bring. How is life there, if you don't mind me asking?
    She inquires, opening the can of chilled, carbonated cola
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

21. - Top - End - #21

Ryuko shakes her head.
    No, I go to Onizuka. I don't particularly enjoy the confinement of dress that uniforms bring. How is life there, if you don't mind me asking?
    She inquires, opening the can of chilled, carbonated cola

Shizuka glances briefly down at her own Tokiwadai uniform a little self-consciously. "It's not bad. A little boring at times, but there are quite a few exciting parts too. I guess it's a little binary in that regard..."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

"[Preparing for the worst? I suppose that makes sense: Since the adults spend half their time creating the worst. Seriously, this city is a nightmare factory.]"

For a moment, Moroe's tone seemed way too grim. It almost sounded like she really believed that 'nightmare factory' nonsense. Maybe she was one of those conspiracy nuts who saw evil wherever they went.
    "[That's one way of looking at it,]" says Eli. Ever the optimist, he's not keen on continuing this particular line of conversation, even though Moroe isn't technically wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr
    Either way, the moment didn't last long. She was soon back to her usual sarcastic self. Case in point:

"[Oh yes, how could I forget. Thanks to months of intense study, I'm now able to live my dream of giving directions to clueless newbies. Truly, that makes it all worthwhile.]"

Yep, back to normal. As usual, the jabs had no bite to them. If Moroe had genuinely felt that way about Eli, she wouldn't still be here.
    "[Well, sooorryyyy for being a nooooob,]" he responds in an exaggerated tone, cracking a smile to indicate that he hasn't been fazed by the sarcasm. There's a slight pause before he adds, "[Really, though, you should be proud of it. Not everyone can help other people the way you've been helping me. Lots of people would probably even ignore it, you know? Like, 'Whatever, it's someone else's problem,' or something like that. Dad always calls it 'risky-shift phenomenon', but I say it's just being lazy.]"

Speaking of lazy, Eli nearly forgot that he was going home and almost made a wrong turn. He is about to correct himself, but he pauses and thinks about the decision for a moment. About fifteen seconds may pass, if uninterrupted, before he makes up his mind.

"[Hey,]" he asks Moroe, "[you wanna go exploring with me?]" If she needs an explanation, he'll simply reply, "[I've only seen part of the city so far, so I want to go see what's around here. I know you've lived here your whole life, but adventures are always more fun with a friend. How about it?]"

23. - Top - End - #23

Shizuka glances briefly down at her own Tokiwadai uniform a little self-consciously. "It's not bad. A little boring at times, but there are quite a few exciting parts too. I guess it's a little binary in that regard..."
    Ryuko nods, sipping the carbonated liquid within her can thoughtfully
    Makes sense. After all, is school still a school if it lacks any sort of boredom?
    she jokes, smiling
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

24. - Top - End - #24

Ryuko nods, sipping the carbonated liquid within her can thoughtfully
    Makes sense. After all, is school still a school if it lacks any sort of boredom?
    she jokes, smiling

Shizuka giggles and smiles back, a little more confident now. "Hehe... yeah, you're right. It's nice though. I wish I knew more people there though..."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ImpSyndrome View Post
    Speaking of lazy, Eli nearly forgot that he was going home and almost made a wrong turn. He is about to correct himself, but he pauses and thinks about the decision for a moment. About fifteen seconds may pass, if uninterrupted, before he makes up his mind.

"[Hey,]" he asks Moroe, "[you wanna go exploring with me?]" If she needs an explanation, he'll simply reply, "[I've only seen part of the city so far, so I want to go see what's around here. I know you've lived here your whole life, but adventures are always more fun with a friend. How about it?]"
    Moroe pretended to consider the question. It didn't pay to seem too eager. After counting to ten in her head, she shrugged casually.

"[Eh, why not. I could use the exercise. So, where should we start? The luxurious hub of commercialism in District 15? The vast underground complex beneath District 22? The legendary windowless building of District 7?]"

"The decaying sprawl of District 10? The deliberately sabotaged and primitive District 19? The soulless, callous bureaucracy of District 1?"

Moroe kept those last few options to herself. Despite her outward attitude, she didn't want this trip to be a downer for Eli. Seeing the true face of this city had never done her any good. Better to just drop a few hints about it, and instil him with a little healthy paranoia.