New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 49 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Dragon Ball in the Playground [Discussion & Interest checking]

How would you be able to tell which set was which unless you had gathered them all?

I mean, you'd have to get more than one of each set to know for sure.

Bulma's dragon radar could find both sets of Dragonballs, so the energy they radiate is the same.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    How would you be able to tell which set was which unless you had gathered them all?

I mean, you'd have to get more than one of each set to know for sure.

Bulma's dragon radar could find both sets of Dragonballs, so the energy they radiate is the same.
    Canonically speaking, no two sets of dragon balls have looked exactly the same.

granted there are only two sets of Dragon Balls total, but one has balls that can fit into the palm of your hand, the other you need both hands to carry because they are so huge. people even comment on how big they are compared to Earth's Dragon Balls

so I think that each set of Dragon Balls ever made should be slightly different from one another- even Callin's Dragon Balls probably don't look exactly like the original Kami's to my mind. Its not a matter of design, but of the essence of the creator, since they are so tied to the ones who made them.

Dragon Balls are not a thing with a factory default look or anything- they are legendary magical artifacts of great power, the very quest that took to make these ones involved fighting a god-king, taking back stolen knowledge that could change the world, freeing a city's inhabitants from an oppressive tyrant, a scientist losing trust in someone he thinks of as a friend and making a decision to keep to his promise anyways despite his disagreement with her over how far to go to achieve the goal that was promised, taking a risk that by finally making them and making that wish the maker might die fulfilling his promise- these are things that legends are made of! and no two legends are quite the same. A set of Dragon Balls should never ever be indistinguishable from another set- because thats like saying that Excalibur should look exactly the same as Masamune. Sure they're both swords and do the same thing- but they are legendary things with different creators, different legends and look surrounding them.

Sure you could've just stayed at the ship and waited for the Dragon Balls to be made- but that would be boring, not a story worthy of creating wish-granting magical orbs of mythical power which the entire DB franchise revolves around! we did not set out to make a piece of replicable technology, we set out to make artifacts of great and terrible power capable of literally making the miraculous happen.

if- and that is a big IF- Oxy ever makes his Dragon Balls, they probably shouldn't look the same, turn out the same or have the same legend surrounding them.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #393

No.

I meant, "How would anybody be able to avoid the heroes on their dragonball hunt?"

You can't know for sure which ball goes in which set until you've gathered a whole set, so oneone using a radar or some kind of scrying equipment to find the dragonballs would take much longer to find the ones they're looking for.

Which necessarily means that bad guys looking for the dragonballs would still cross paths with good guys looking for the dragonballs.

also, the story behind the creation of Kami's dragonballs was "after the cluster that was the king piccolo incident, Kami decided to create a set of dragon balls to give the earthlings hope"

and Callins made his with scientific analysis of the greatest miracle of the Dragon Clan's Magic. By default a lot of the mystic mumbo jumbo is diluted.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Titan in the Playground

ok, how to put this more directly:

I think it would be a bad idea if we cheapened the Dragon Balls by making more than one Earth-set.

the entire point of the Dragon Balls in the original Dragon Ball is that searching for them is a quest. its something you search across the world for and battle enemies and brave dangers to even get one of them.

the only reason they can be used in DBZ as plot devices was because the stories took place years apart and even then, the Dragon Balls couldn't do everything, only accomplish very specific certain things that needed to happen but couldn't solve the problem they were facing entirely.

that and there is simply no need for a second set when you already have a set that can do what you need- sure you can make the second set faster than searching for the others, but afterwards they are pretty much unnecessary and would only serve to complicate the plot in ways that we don't need and would probably only detract from the story. The Arcosians can probably wait a year for their wishes without any trouble- they're wishing for immortality they can be patient- while even Oxyribo has to admit at some point that he is nowhere near the point where he can take on Cell and creating a bunch of Dragon Balls of his own to get to him faster would only end with him dying faster pretty much.

furthermore, if Callins is any indication, there are probably drawbacks to making them-like almost dying or losing a part of your power, which I don't think Oxyribo would want to compromise, seeing as how he is all about his fighting power. why I would think that Oxy would love to go on such a quest to better build up his strength! but he is your character.

point is, the Dragon Balls aren't and shouldn't be things that we have an abundance of, or be easy to make or get. I have a hard time coming up with any reason why we would need more than three wishes for anything, while if we really want a backup set, that is what going on a quest to Namek and braving the dangers of space, aliens and whatnot is for.

5. - Top - End - #395

You're assuming that my plans are the same as my Pcs

also
    furthermore, if Callins is any indication, there are probably drawbacks to making them-like almost dying or losing a part of your power, which I don't think Oxyribo would want to compromise, seeing as how he is all about his fighting power. why I would think that Oxy would love to go on such a quest to better build up his strength! but he is your character.
    No basis in canon.

Also, um, without a dragon radar, it's supposed to take decades or centuries to find the dragonballs. Not saying Oxy's actually going to make a set, but seeing as you need a ball on hand to make a radar, the only person who'd be able to find the dragonballs once they become active again is Kami.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ettin in the Playground

If by "Kami" you're referring to my Kami, he wouldn't need to wait for them to activate to find one. He saw where they flew, and perfectly spherical stones are pretty rare in nature, so they'd stand out. He probably couldn't find them all, since it's possible one of them bounced and rolled underground or some such.

As for making more dragon balls, well, a villain just has to rise to the occasion and kill the excess dragons or their makers.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

7. - Top - End - #397
    Titan in the Playground

I always thought it was the creator who could find them not Kami in the show was also the creator however.
    Also everyone is assuming what happened to Callins is related to the dragon balls. It isn't.

I am honestly shocked that I may be the first to think oh hey I can use math to find the dragon balls. YOu know their trajectory, plus speed, add in gravity, and what they may hit with what force, where they may bounce to e.t.c.
    Last edited by cavalieredraghi; 2015-05-31 at 08:46 PM.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ettin in the Playground

Just something I wanted to point out, since the Androids keep referring to the setting as "iron age":

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Specifically, the idea would be to start from the past, around the time when Namek was undergoing its great disaster - Years 261 to 431 according to DB calendar; In real life terms, comparable from 1500s to 1700s.
    Now, Dragon Ball world is crazy, so it doesn't faze me they might think they're further back in the past than they really are - there are dinosaurs around, after all - but the setting is intended to be closer to early modern period. That's why Yama's profile refers to firearms. The Androids just picked a particularly backwater place to drop in.

Besides, Solitus and his mindset was more bronze age anyways.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

9. - Top - End - #399

Early dragonball had Modern Cities, Futuristic Cities with flying cars, and off the top of my head, a group of stereotypical braids beads, and buckskins wearing indians living in a teepee village, all in the same age, and all apparently randomly positioned on the map, which we actually see relatively little of.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Just something I wanted to point out, since the Androids keep referring to the setting as "iron age":

Now, Dragon Ball world is crazy, so it doesn't faze me they might think they're further back in the past than they really are - there are dinosaurs around, after all - but the setting is intended to be closer to early modern period. That's why Yama's profile refers to firearms. The Androids just picked a particularly backwater place to drop in.

Besides, Solitus and his mindset was more bronze age anyways.
    Oh well, no one said that the Androids were good historians. Their education stopped somewhere around the middle of college, and neither of them strike me as people who would pay attention in high school history class. there is probably a lot of things they are mistaken about and the entire point is that despite their future knowledge they actually have little to no clue about the past, just like any common person would because they don't specialize their knowledge in doing so. so its actually pretty fitting that they assume that the backwater place they've seen is the norm when its not.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

Callins on multiple occasion stated he is a doctor.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by cavalieredraghi View Post
    Callins on multiple occasion stated he is a doctor.
    oh wow, my memory is bad, I'll edit my post.

13. - Top - End - #403

Oxy has healing powers.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Oxy has healing powers.
    this is Android 23 we're talking about. I will edit it to show her considering the option.

15. - Top - End - #405

So, I've been thinking about it.

Do you think Fortune Teller Baba looks into the future to see who's gonna show up for her services to determine which dead martial artist to pull from Otherworld to serve as her final fighter for that day?

Because I don't remember if they ever gave an explanation, but Grandpa Gohan being the final fighter on the day Goku and friends showed up is one hell of a coincidence.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Titan in the Playground

You know i just realized you might not have had to change it, Lord. I mean 23 may not pay attention to everything Callins says after all.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Titan in the Playground

You know i just realized you might not have had to change it, Lord. I mean 23 may not pay attention to everything Callins says after all.
    please, call me Raziere.

no, the thing about Android Memory is that she has perfect recall, the information in her are stored like computer files instead of the usual way that human minds work where details are slowly lost and become unclear. when she remembers something, she either remembers it perfectly or doesn't have any memories of it at all, which can be kind of annoying for her: the only way she can forget anything is if she intentionally deletes the information, if she remembers say, the time that 22 sacrificed herself to hold off 21, its as if she is there again, experiencing that all over again, she essentially can't forget, she only doesn't remember her name because Gero edited that out, so her forgetting details like that is not acceptable because its like, a computer forgetting that file you saved: its not supposed to happen. its just one more way that an Android is not quite like a human, because humans have memories that fade, and even Bio-Androids like Oxyribo have an organic brain that stores information in a biological manner.

23 and 22's brains however, while still having the organic brains they originally have, are enhanced with neuro-implants from Gero intended to allow him to reprogram them into killing machines, one of the side effects being a perfected memory, which I thought was implied by Android 19 and the fact that Dr. Gero is an old man and probably starting to forget a few things, so of course he'd start putting in implants to make his servants remember things for him....

unless, you think differently or something?

18. - Top - End - #408

Hypothetically, would drinking from the fountain of youth and thus no longer aging slow Callins' deterioration?

That might play into an Idea I'm having, though it depends on how comfortable people are with using canonical characters as NPCs

Edit: Oxy's brain is a bio-mechanical computer and was programed as such(Which I derive from Cell's primary motivation being to complete the purpose he was created for-becoming perfect, and then proving it, being similar to a normal computer really only doing what it's programmed to do)

While he's not exactly like a machine, due to being mostly organic, his brain is designed with near perfect memorization capabilities.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2015-06-01 at 10:38 PM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

It makes sense though I now feel bad for 23 &22 they don't even know their own names. Also sorry Raziere I was in a somewhat rush I won't make the mistake again.

20. - Top - End - #410

Cavy I ninja'd you.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Titan in the Playground

My main idea with Callins half life is his ki will kill him so does the fountain of youth make you immortal or eternally young?

22. - Top - End - #412
    Titan in the Playground

It makes sense though I now feel bad for 23 &22 they don't even know their own names.
    yes, that was also a thing I decided to extrapolate from canon: 17 and 18 call each other those numbers even though they did not like Gero and its canon that their names are actually Lapis and Lazuli. if they really disliked him and remembered their real names, they would've kept referring to each other as Lapis and Lazuli because they're brother and sister, and 18 would've corrected Krillin on what her real name is, because why would she want her husband constantly reminding her that she had been kidnapped and remade into an Android?

the only explanation I could think up is that Gero simply edited their names out of their minds so that the only the identity they would be able to latch onto is their designation number and thus establish more of a hold over them, more power over the people he turned into Androids, much like fictional oppressive states would rename a place "Area 11" or "Planet 419" or a person "Number 6". its a method of dehumanizing them and making people think of something in a different way.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Titan in the Playground

Would your androids ever want to relearn their own names?

24. - Top - End - #414

My main idea with Callins half life is his ki will kill him so does the fountain of youth make you immortal or eternally young?
    Debatable.

Master Roshi stopped aging when he drank from the fountain(he was already an old coot when he drank from it) and he died, but the first time he died it was because he exhausted himself performing the Mafuba, and the second time he was turned into chocolate and eaten by Super Buu.

Considering he canonically survived having a blade stuck into his brain, it could be argued that drinking from the fountain made him immortal and ki exhaustion and Majin Buu's magic just bypass it.

but the blade in the brain was a slapstick moment, so it might not count.

Regardless, I didn't ask if it would fix him. I asked if his aging halting would slow his deterioration.

If the illness is tied to aging...

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

25. - Top - End - #415
    Titan in the Playground

are speaking in character or out of character?

IC: they probably desire it, but they don't think its a big enough of a deal to actually seek out ways to get it back. like even if they were suddenly given the opportunity to wish on the dragon Balls to get their names back, they'd probably ask "is there anything more useful we can spend this wish on?"

OOC: I don't really have any actual names for them and never really planned to give them any. its not really a problem that was ever meant to be solved, just lived with.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Titan in the Playground

so now I'm going to say being ageless will not help him become curedslow his symptoms

27. - Top - End - #417

curedslow
    What was supposed to be between "cured" and "slow"

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Titan in the Playground

or, my voice to text feature on my phone sucks some times.

29. - Top - End - #419

But would he know that?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks