New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 39 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Necromancer IC - Frivolous

In the kingdom of Ashcen, magic is feared and hated. The king, Zuhrin the Magebane, has outlawed and lead several campaigns against it.

At the end of the day, that doesn't matter to you. You are a farmer's child, and have no magic that you know of. You live in a small, dirty hut at the edge of a small village called Hackevir. Your mother died giving birth to you; your father cares little for you.

You wake up this morning, April 21 7th Year of the Hammer. The sky is grey and overcast, and you can smell rain in the air. You've worked hard the last month planting, and the rain will be a much desired respite. You struggle to get up off your dirty straw bed. The small, old wooden shack you've called home all your life is currently empty; the embers of a cooking fire smoulder in the fireplace, giving a dull orange glow and a token source of heat in the dank, cold morning.
    Last edited by Maquise; 2014-09-28 at 08:03 AM.
    "For it is in passing that we achieve immortality" - Pyrrha Nikos

Quote Originally Posted by Stu42 View Post
    I used to like called shots. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
    Arvak Avatar by Dirtytabs

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Default Re: Necromancer IC - Frivolous

Daisy Birdwhistle rises and adjusts her plain peasant's smock in what she hopes is the optimal way around her curvaceous figure. Not that she has anyone to impress on her father's farm, but some rich man might pass by asking for a drink of water or milk.

She casts her gaze downward prudently when she sees her father, Devin, glare blearily at her in his usual frustration and rage over having a daughter he must pay a dower he cannot afford to marry off, one that looks so much like her beautiful mother.

She hurries to bring wood from their little cache to enliven the fire and prepare a meager breakfast for her Da.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

As you hurry to get the wood, you notice your father outside.He is loading the donkey with some form of bundle.
    "It would do you well to learn some modesty," he grumbles as he see you approach. "I will have no daughter of mine traipsing about in some slattern's rags. I'm going to town, stay here. Not much can be done in the rain, so be sure to get the weeding done before. I'm not paying for medicine if you catch ague."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Daisy starts to protest that she can hardly be blamed for being born beautiful, but she flinches at the memory of her father's hard hand and subsides. She nods meekly and says, "Yes, father."

But in the privacy of her own head, she wonders what it would be like to stave the old man's head in with a club. She is so very tired of reminding her father of a wife he could not keep and enduring his resultant foul temper.

She peeks a little at the bundle on the donkey, but says nothing. She does not approach too close, either. Her curiosity is a small beast, certainly smaller than her happiness at her father leaving her alone for a few hours.

As soon as Devin departs, Daisy starts to do the weeding as he commanded. She's glad of the cloudy sky. Even though the cold day makes her shiver, she has a really clear complexion and pale skin she wants to keep, not become tanned and leathery and mole-spotted like other women.
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2014-09-28 at 11:12 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

You manage to complete the weeding prior to the downpour beginning. It is the light, drizzly and drawn-out sort that is iconic of this time of year and part of the country, and is exactly the sort that crops prosper in.

The rain abates by mid-afternoon, though the sun remains hidden behind a curtain of iron grey.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Daisy beams at having completed her work, then stops, because she heard from her friend Minda that girls who smile too much get lines in the sides of their faces.

"Smooth skin, Daisy. Smooth skin."

She closes the door of the Birdwhistles' small shack and goes to the nearest road to see if she can meet anyone interesting, handsome, or rich (any one of the three will do) passing by.

She does hope that no one steals anything while she is gone, but in truth, there is not much to steal.
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2014-09-28 at 11:23 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

When you get to the road, you notice that the wet mud has been churned up pretty recently; it looks like a lot of people have traveled into Hackevir from the nearby farms and elsewhere today. Surprising, given the weather.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Daisy raises her fine pale blonde eyebrows at seeing how much mud has been churned up.

"Well, golly gee. Wonder what all the ruckus is about."

She ponders, then wanders up one side of the road away from Hackevir, looking for anything out of place. Sometimes travelers drop something on the way and don't notice. Sometimes the things they drop can be valuable, like a handkerchief. Even money, maybe.

She ignores the wet mud caking her bare, heavily callused feet. Easily washed off with water from the rain barrel once she gets back home.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Along the side of the road, you find a pennant that appears to have been swept up in the wind and rain earlier that day. The colors are still fresh; the black and white checkers and heraldry of the Royal Army. It would appear that soldiers came this way.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Daisy squees in glee and claps her hands at her find. She snatches the pennant up and admires it, feeling the weave and embroidery, much better than anything she or her father owns. She looks around, fearful that anyone else might stake a claim in it, overriding her own.

If she sees no one, she ponders some more, then squees some more. She begins walking back along the road, this time towards Hackevir. Along the way, she babbles happily to herself.

"Soldiers. Maybe they stopped at the town to water or feed their horses. I can return this to them, maybe get a reward."

She does not speak of the thought she has of handsome muscular men in armor. Mmm, soldiers....

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Hackevir, nestled beside a river unimaginatively of the same name, sits in the shadows of the Norsepeak Mountains. While the mountains are clearly visible, they are many leagues away still, and the land is still flat. This part of the country is mostly prairie; you pass a few trees on the path.

You arrive at the village proper. You pass several thatched-roofed cottages before the wood shops. Dozens of brigands in black-and-white raiment have seemingly materialized since you were here last. They seem to be the only ones out, walking briskly to their destinations, apparently eager to get indoors. A pair stand guarding a large bell in the town square. A parchment notice is fixed to the wooden frame of the bell, although you are one of few who can actually read it:

The Witch Bell tolls of its own when magic is cast within the village. This bell is a gift from the king to his people to protect them from foul arts.

Notable locations include the smithy, stables, general store, butcher shop, warehouse, tannery, and the tavern.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Daisy quickly wraps the pennant up into a small bundle so it is not easily noticed. She wants to return the pennant to someone important, an officer, not some low-ranker.

She slowly and laboriously reads the notice and ponders. "Hmm. Witch Bell. Golly gee." She quickly loses interest, since she is not sure she even believes in witchery.

She goes to one of the guards but does not smile for him, though her instinct to is strong. She just politely says, "Ah, good afternoon? You're the King's men, right?"

"Where are y'all staying, or are you just passing through?"

Though she does not know it, she has a broad rural accent when she speaks.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

The soldier, a young and unseasoned man, says, "We are here on official business, under the command of none other than the great Sir Edward Pelleau. He has arranged for us to be garrisoned in this here settlement for whatever duration of time is required to complete our mission." He speaks with a great deal of attempted gravitas, and uses words he likely has only overheard in an attempt to sound more important. And likely more impressive to you in particular.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Daisy nods, still not smiling, lest this young man be excessively blinded by her shining beauty (or so Minda assures her; no one she knows well owns a mirror, so she cannot confirm for herself).

Mispronouncing a name, she burbles, "Sir Edwin Pelleau. That's great. It must be great for you to soldier on under such a great hero."

"Ah, where is Sir Edwin now, or at least his, you know...second in command? I got something for him."

Daisy pauses, then adds, "How do I recognize an officer anyway? Do they got a better hat?"

She looks around furtively just in case her father is around and sees her. She is sure she can convince him not to strike her for following him into town, but only if she can talk to him first.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

"Sir Edward is a great hero, awarded many virtues by the king himself! He wears a great suit of armor, gilded with the finest... umm... shiny bits! I don't really see what you could have that would be so valuable, but if you would give it to me, I'll be sure to pass along his gratitude."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Daisy's lips thin a little at the soldier's obvious ploy. She tries to come up with a pleasing win-win scenario, so she doesn't lose any possible reward.

"I'd thank you kindly for offering, glorious sir, but maybe we could go together, so I don't get lost looking for Sir Edward?"

"Then we could, you know, talk on the way. And back."

Though she still refrains from smiling, Daisy flutters her eyelashes. She heard Minda say Dolly say Mistress Ilva say that works.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Your charms seem to be working on this young lad. He smiles, and nods.

"Well, I'm not sure if Sir Pelleau is available at the moment, but I'm sure one of his officers will be present..."

You follow him to the tavern, just as a stately-looking middle-aged but strong looking man in shiny armor with a rich cape emerges.

"Sir Pelleau, sir!" The soldier says, snapping a salute.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Daisy automatically and clumsily salutes the middle-aged man in armor as well, copying what the soldier did. Only with her left hand, since her right hand is holding the bundle of the pennant behind her back.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Sir Pelleau eyes you once with little more than a token regard, then double-takes. You think you see something like recognition in his eyes, but he quickly hides it.

"Armsman, who is this?"

"This lady says she has something for us," the soldier says.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Daisy burbles, "Hi, Sir Edw... I mean, Edward Pelleau. I'm Daisy Birdwhistle. My da is Devin Birdwhistle, and we live just outside of Hackevir. This young soldier of yours was nice enough to help me find you."

"I found this on the road. It looks real nice and shiny and I think it belongs to you."
    She unfolds the pennant and offers it to Pelleau.

After a short pause, hoping Pelleau gets her meaning, she adds, "I hope you're glad to get it back. I know I would."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Sir Pelleau seems irked at this. He waves his hand. "Have her give it to the requisitions officer; I have more important things to worry about." He marches off.

Your soldier friend snatches the flag from you. "That was what you had for him? Some old flag blown on the road?"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Daisy looks crushed. Her voice rises to a shrill pitch from anxiety. "Well, I thought it was real nice, e'en covered with mud and all..."

She sniffs, then with a furious effort of will controls her expression and her voice, lest she seem a greater a fool than she does already. She straightens her spine.

"Yeah, I guess all I had for him. An old flag."

She smiles now, a cold smile. "D'you still want me to come along to the...what did he call it? The requisitions officer? Or if not, I guess I can go home. My da will be waiting for me, I think."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

The soldier mumbles something about how he's gonna have to muck the stables now for looking like a fool in front of the knight, and walks off.

As you head home, you notice a strange bird, a blood-red raven seems to be following you.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Daisy pays little attention to the strange red bird, whose feathers she might otherwise want for a hat. She hurries home, running as quick as she can, so that she might avoid the peril of getting there after her father, who might then demand to know where she has been and if she's been acting slatternly.

Her heart, though, burns with rage at making a fool of herself and for trying to do a good deed (never mind that she had wanted a reward, it was clearly a good deed to return someone's belongings, right?).

In her fantasies, she throttles the young soldier and Sir Edward Bloody Pelleau until their faces turn blue, then buries them head down in the mud.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

You arrive home to find that the house is dark, which is odd given how the sun is setting. You would have thought your father would've put a light on.

You open the door, to find one of the rotting old tables has been knocked on its side. You see a pair of feet sticking out from behind it. Nervously, you walk over to it. The body lying behind it is your father, though you have trouble recognizing it. His face has gone purple and bloated.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Daisy feels dizzy upon seeing her father's corpse. Reality flutters on the edge of full blackness around the edges of her vision, then brightens a little, but retains a dreamy, unreal quality.

She closes her eyes and shakes her head and opens them again and looks. "That's strange. I must be dreaming. But where's the donkey?"

She staggers a little as she goes out the door to look for her father's donkey.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

As you look around your property for the donkey, you notice the red bird again.

"Good evening, madam," it says to you.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Daisy murmurs dazedly, "Good evening, bird. How red you are, like blood."

"Have you seen my father's donkey, flying high above the world? It's not a cow, but still a valuable animal. I'm afraid we can't do without it."

She pauses, then intones, "Falcons are red, corpses are blue, my name is Daisy, how do you do?" Then she giggles drunkenly.

In a softer, calmer voice, she says, "I'm dreaming, aren't I?"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

"I do not believe so, madam," the bird says in an oddly cultured voice. "I am simply here to deliver a message. My name is Sanguineus, and I have come to inform you that you have received an inheritance, Daisy Birdwhistle. Your late uncle Lucien von Nehlyvich has left you his estate. I am here to ensure you successfully receive it."

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Daisy frowns thoughtfully. "I see. I never heard of an Uncle Lucien, but on the other hand, you have my name right, so I guess you could be correct."

"Please tell me, Sanguineus, how am I related to him? And how did he die?"

She ponders, then remembers something. "Oh, forgive me; I forgot my manners. Would you like something to drink, maybe something to eat?"