New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: What classes and paths are Anakkora best at?

Quote Originally Posted by Spacehamster View Post
    And a person struggling with all their might to get loose aint? :D
    What do you think the Strength(Athletics) check is for?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mephnick View Post
    Because people want to make an already stupid option more OP.
    it isn't OP. the most powerful version is a chance at dealing 2d6 damage every 2 rounds at level 1 or 5d6 damage every 2 rounds at level 2 (one to ascend, the second to come back down and grapple a target, then the next to ascend, etc), unless there is a cliff or pit or something around, in which case you don't need flight to deal damage by dropping people and it is no more OP than anything else.

if you can't figure out a way to deal more damage than that, you're either not trying very hard or are a full caster and single-target damage isn't really your thing anyways (and in all likelihood, neither is grappling).

i mean, let's take what should be an incredibly suboptimal DPR character; a rogue that isn't getting sneak attack. with a short sword and a rapier, at level 1 that rogue can potentially deal 1d8 + 1d6 + 3 in a single round... so 2d8 + 2d6 + 6 every 2 rounds. if they can get sneak attack (and it's not *that* hard), add another 2d6 damage per 2 rounds.

the seismic toss build is kinda funny, but it is not dealing good damage.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

It makes no sense that a breastplate would interfere with a aaracokra's flight, while a 350 pound dragonborn is liftable. However, rules do not have to make sense.

The most hilarious part of the barb/rogue grapple, hoist, drop routine is the ability to drop the 350 pound dragonborn on the 110 pound high elf caster. I'd call it 2 birds with 1 stone, but I think aaracokra dislike that expression.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SharkForce View Post
    the seismic toss build is kinda funny, but it is not dealing good damage.
    I guess if you're fighting in a featureless room. Any fight with a bridge, cliff, pit, fire, lava, water etc etc makes it quite a bit more powerful.

Plus the seismic toss isn't the real issue, free flight at level one is. I'm just saying the toss makes it even better.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I guess if you're fighting in a featureless room. Any fight with a bridge, cliff, pit, fire, lava, water etc etc makes it quite a bit more powerful.

Plus the seismic toss isn't the real issue, free flight at level one is. I'm just saying the toss makes it even better.
    Being able to inflict moderate damage on two foes, while moving one of them out of what may be a key position, and inflicting the prone condition on both of them, is nothing to sneeze at.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

6. - Top - End - #36
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    It makes no sense that a breastplate would interfere with a aaracokra's flight, while a 350 pound dragonborn is liftable. However, rules do not have to make sense.

The most hilarious part of the barb/rogue grapple, hoist, drop routine is the ability to drop the 350 pound dragonborn on the 110 pound high elf caster. I'd call it 2 birds with 1 stone, but I think aaracokra dislike that expression.
    Not really.

Carrying a heavy object doesn't restrict joint movements. Wearing stiff, heavy armor does.
    DMs only roll dice for the sound they make

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

But unless they start the round within five feet of their target, the most they'll get is a 25 foot drop, not a 50 foot drop.

First move action - close to grappling distance. Action to grapple, or attack and grapple.

Cunning action to dash 1/2 move up. 25'

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

except that they're still only adding 5d6 damage per 2 rounds, tops. because if we took a different character (one more suited to grappling and with a higher strength to lift stuff, for example) with good grappling capabilities, they could still toss enemies off the bridge or cliff, into the fire or lava, etc. and, in fact, as a result of not going up as high as they possibly can, those other people may even be able to toss people into hazards once per round instead of once per two rounds, making it decidedly better to not fly (obviously, the aarakocra retains the ability to not fly as well, so it's not that those other builds are inherently better... they just aren't suffering from inability to fly as far as grappling is concerned)

flight is a nuisance for a DM to plan around. it is not game-breaking. now, if a given DM doesn't want to deal with that nuisance, then it's totally reasonable to ban it - not because it ruins the game balance, but because the DM needs to have fun too, and flight certainly helps get around many obstacles relatively easily unless you specifically ask yourself when designing an obstacle "what happens if someone can just fly".

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Gritmonger View Post
    But unless they start the round within five feet of their target, the most they'll get is a 25 foot drop, not a 50 foot drop.

First move action - close to grappling distance. Action to grapple, or attack and grapple.

Cunning action to dash 1/2 move up. 25'
    Yeah, I was assuming starting the routine within 5ft. Only considering the fall damage, the drop is more of a finisher move; you'd grapple, fly up while wailing on the target, and drop him for a handful of d6 when he looks low on health (or if you just don't want to get hit by him next turn). When you consider the reposition effect, automatic prone condition from falling, and extra damage from dropping him on another enemy (or a hazard; like dropping him outside a window, off a cliff, into water, onto a fence, onto a trap, into a flanked square, etc), it's a lot stronger than just the fall damage implies.