New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 43 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Fallen London 3 - "The God-Eaters"

If you have access to the shuttered palace, an arrangement with the Vicar General will get you a pile of them in exchange for connected: church. I know there's a couple low-level storylets in one of the starting zones or other, but they lock after a certain point.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

2. - Top - End - #332
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Fallen London 3 - "The God-Eaters" Foxfire candle blues

The catch with Foxfire candles is the candle access locks after certain stat numerical gateways. And as you'll soon find out, POSI-level requirements can ask for thousands of them (such as God's Editors requires either a major court composition, but if you made a Correspondence symphony, you'll have to donate 2000 candles just to continue. And returning to the palace cellars requires 250 of them if you wish to gain the benefits of your understanding. And that D**mable Plant often asks for 200+ items, including candles.)

One of the options that was mentioned is building Church favor of 15 or more, then turning that favor in for candles at the palace. 240 candles equals 240 cp of Connected Church.

Another option is An admirer among the clergy among unfinished business when you are a POSI. if you can succeed on a per 100 check, you get from 1-200 candles (assume 100 on average per turn, but results will vary.)

A third option is when you get Labrynth access. When you finally get to the Labyrinth's Fourth Coil access, you can start "breeding" creatures (and for a Fate locked option, you can mutate creatures caught into other creatures.) The problem is the one creature you can breed through "discipline" that gives 1000+ candles is called a "Rubbery Hound." The Rubbery Hound is only accessible through a location known as "Flute Street." And that location is only available once you finish your University Investigation, help a solitary Glim Sculptor and his Squeeze Box (don't ask,) and THEN pay for fate-locked access to the said location. Only then you may go Rubbery Hound hunting.
    I AM,
    --the truthseeker
    Spoiler: Fallen London Characters:
    Show
    An inquisitive, Watchful, compartmentalizing, orderly, person who seeks the truth POSI Midnighter the truthseeker
    The Persuasive, fairy-tale innocent-looking (anything but chaste,) seductress who is (to the point of hedonistically) very happy she arrived in the 'Neath; POSI Author: Snow Belie
    The newly-adult, scampy, artfully dodging, cockneyesque, Conjurer Orphan POSI: Nobby Longshanks
    The "Hit it!" POSI Murderer: Brutus Leadbetter
    Mad Scientist Hyubert Zlosky

3. - Top - End - #333
    Titan in the Playground

Ohh.. alright thanks, i had wondered how it could be that i could suddenly not find any that gave them directly.
    Seems those options had quietly been locked out along the way.
    And since both said plant and my ambition require a solid supply of then, then i guess the only real option is to start working on my connection with the church, seeing as my persuasion is is not much above 60.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Ohh.. alright thanks, i had wondered how it could be that i could suddenly not find any that gave them directly.
    Buy a Talkative Rattus Faber and "equip" him - lovering your stats will cause those options to reappear.

Is there a relatively low level way of getting foxfire candle stubs that dont involve drawing cards?
    With Shadowy 35 - 49 you can use the "Circumspect criminal" option from "Case a mansion" for 13 stubs (Spite). Persuasive 33 to 47 unlocks the Melancholy Curate's story in Veilgarden, during which you can Attend a service at his church (requires Investigating... 3) for 37 stubs. When you have "Advising the Loquacious Vicar" 2 (the story is found in Ladybones) the next step will trade 100 Whispered Secrets for 300 stubs. Just about every other option requires medium to (very) high level stats, or comes from a card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ettin in the Playground

And since both said plant and my ambition require a solid supply of then, then i guess the only real option is to start working on my connection with the church, seeing as my persuasion is is not much above 60.
    Honestly I'll just save the stubs for something better. The plant thing isn't strictly necessary, and it's far easier to just feed it rats.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Titan in the Playground

Anyone have any good ideas on grinding Romantic Notions? I need two comprehensive bribes, and I have everything I need except for the notions.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

Grind lots and lots of honey and convert it.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

I see. And where should I grind Honey?

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by firedaemon33 View Post
    I see. And where should I grind Honey?
    Either in Veigarden (Unfinished business: doing the decent thing gives 50 or (on a rare success) between 12 and 98 + a Stolen Kiss; Honey dens: convert 50 Greyfields 1879 into 40 Honey and some Making Waves) or in the Court (Corruption of youth: Join a picnic expedition gives 45).

If you have a lot of Whisper-Satin Scraps, you could try converting them (in batches of 50) into Thirsty Bombazine Scraps - a rare success gives 2 Bribes.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ettin in the Playground

You can also get them through the Fidgeting Writer; smashing a Lens of Black Glass provides one, along with a Searing Enigma, Primaeval Hint, and Bazaar Permit. I got... six for the yacht that way, I think, and haven't regretted it.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

Buy a Talkative Rattus Faber and "equip" him - lovering your stats will cause those options to reappear.
    Ohh.. so thats what the little bugger is for, already got one for another storyline.

With Shadowy 35 - 49 you can use the "Circumspect criminal" option from "Case a mansion" for 13 stubs (Spite). Persuasive 33 to 47 unlocks the Melancholy Curate's story in Veilgarden, during which you can Attend a service at his church (requires Investigating... 3) for 37 stubs. When you have "Advising the Loquacious Vicar" 2 (the story is found in Ladybones) the next step will trade 100 Whispered Secrets for 300 stubs. Just about every other option requires medium to (very) high level stats, or comes from a card.
    Alright thanks.. it does look like the most effective way to get those candle stubs right now is to grind options at the university for money, and then just buy the candles i need for my nemesis storyline.

But on a side note, is letting the other manages besides nightmare grow to 8 at least once adviceable?
    Is the results simular interesting? Or does any of them have any serious drawbacks that its better to just avoid?

12. - Top - End - #342
    Ogre in the Playground

But on a side note, is letting the other manages besides nightmare grow to 8 at least once adviceable?
    Is the results simular interesting? Or does any of them have any serious drawbacks that its better to just avoid?
    Each one will move you to a different area, one of which (Tomb Colonies - you get sent there via Scandal) is written in an unique way. Repeatedly raising Suspicion to 8 will make the penalty more and more severe, while preventing the suspicion cure you can buy at the Bazaar from being usable). On the other hand getting sent to prison once is advisable, since that is the only source of the Repentant Forger acquintance (which is nice to have, if only for the option it unlocks on the Rooftop Shack's card - 3 echoes in wine is very good for a single action). However if you're willing to wait there is an option later on that will send you directly to prison without any of the additional trouble. And once you unlock a certain thing, you will probably want to go to the Tomb Colonies a few times (though that won't happen for a looong time).

13. - Top - End - #343
    Firbolg in the Playground

You typically have to go to at least one of the menace areas for your ambition eventually.

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ettin in the Playground

You have to go to the Tomb Colonies if you want a Bifurcated Owl.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ettin in the Playground

So I've acquired a page of Liber Visionis...
    What can I do with it? Is it only useful for selling/changing my portrait?
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

16. - Top - End - #346

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    So I've acquired a page of Liber Visionis...
    What can I do with it? Is it only useful for selling/changing my portrait?
    I think it has some use for the Face Tailor story.

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

Alright thanks, i guess i will then wait until the story actually calls for me to build up either wounds or scandal to 8.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Barbarian in the Playground

I have finalyl gained all the bejeweled lenses I need for my zubmarine! now to make my way to all those whirring contraptions (so much grinding wilmots...)

thanks to thecrimsonmage for the awesome avatar... you rock, dude.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ettin in the Playground

Time for the humongous grind for Brilliant Souls and Muscaria brandy to begin! I've decided I'm not even going to bother using my casing until I have it as high as it can go, or at least 50. Figure that will get me fairly close to my goal(though I could be wrong).

So, I noticed yesterday that I apparently never took my free reward for being a PoSI on the Bazaar Side Streets. What did other people pick? I'm assuming that all the rewards are even in terms of monetary value?

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    So, I noticed yesterday that I apparently never took my free reward for being a PoSI on the Bazaar Side Streets. What did other people pick? I'm assuming that all the rewards are even in terms of monetary value?
    Not at all - the range is 30 to 130 echoes. I went with "Going over the spoils" - not worth much in echoes, but a nice assortment of items.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Divayth Fyr View Post
    Not at all - the range is 30 to 130 echoes. I went with "Going over the spoils" - not worth much in echoes, but a nice assortment of items.
    Interesting to know. I don't think I'd go for the cellars of wine, don't see to much use in 12 of them. The 106 option looks useful though with a whirring contraption, 20 collated researches and 4 cellars of wine.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Ogre in the Playground

Interesting to know. I don't think I'd go for the cellars of wine, don't see to much use in 12 of them. The 106 option looks useful though with a whirring contraption, 20 collated researches and 4 cellars of wine.
    It certainly is nice - though there are few uses of CR, and I always seemed to have enough of it (or Memories of Distant Shores to upconvert) for whatever came up. Also, if you'd want a bottle of the top-tier wine, you'll need much, much more than 12 cellars ;)

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Divayth Fyr View Post
    It certainly is nice - though there are few uses of CR, and I always seemed to have enough of it (or Memories of Distant Shores to upconvert) for whatever came up. Also, if you'd want a bottle of the top-tier wine, you'll need much, much more than 12 cellars ;)
    Hehe, yeah that would be an incredibly annoying grind. Of course, I could always skip it by selling the secrets of the nadir to the Revolutionaries since that gives a free Masters Blood ^^

24. - Top - End - #354
    Ettin in the Playground

Time for the humongous grind for Brilliant Souls and Muscaria brandy to begin! I've decided I'm not even going to bother using my casing until I have it as high as it can go, or at least 50. Figure that will get me fairly close to my goal(though I could be wrong).
    Doesn't Casing reset after a successful heist?
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    He isn't going on a heist - "Thefts of a particular character" lower casing each time you do them (how much depends on whether or not you succeed).

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    Not with the Theft of a particular character, you just need casing 10 to unlock the ability to steal, then lose X amounts of CP from your casing. I thought the same the first time and was annoyed because I had 13 casing, and then when I used it, I was able to use it again immediately afterwards because I only dropped from 13 to 10 I believe.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ettin in the Playground

That reminds me I never cashed in my free PoSI rewards either.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ettin in the Playground

So... First city coins...
    Any advice for getting more? I'm at 30 currently, and need to hit 77, I think(for a quest/story).

Is my monkey a good method? Or is there a better option?
    Last edited by Togath; 2015-05-27 at 11:01 AM.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

29. - Top - End - #359
    Ogre in the Playground

Any advice for getting more? I'm at 30 currently, and need to hit 77, I think(for a quest/story).
    Sent you 30 more.

Not really - it is only 1 coin/action and will cause complications later on. One of the best options uses Connected: Masters of the Bazaar, but you probably don't have that. If you have some Warm Amber and Connected: Rubbery Men (easy to get in the Carnival), you can trade it for 6 coins/5 amber.

30. - Top - End - #360

I sent you 30 as well, so you should be good now. Tell me if you need more (I have 273 left over, and nothing to do with them).