New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 38 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,140 of 1478
  1. - Top - End - #1111
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: El Goonish Shive III - Totally Adorkable!

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Gnoll View Post
    This page accomplishes almost nothing, except to possibly characterise Mr. Verres as someone who spots loopholes- something that could have been achieved without taking up an entire page to do so.
    It also establishes that Volty is not as insane as Pandora, and since insanity is correlated with power in the immortals, it tells us quite a bit about their relative power levels. Any time we see an immortal, we do have to wonder "is this one of the ones that overstayed their 200 year limit, and if so, by how much?" and this is good indication that Volty has not yet overstayed his limit.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

2. - Top - End - #1112
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    It also establishes that Volty is not as insane as Pandora, and since insanity is correlated with power in the immortals, it tells us quite a bit about their relative power levels. Any time we see an immortal, we do have to wonder "is this one of the ones that overstayed their 200 year limit, and if so, by how much?" and this is good indication that Volty has not yet overstayed his limit.

GW
    Yeah, I think this page is there mostly to show that Voltaire is not off his rocker, and is a more logical thinker than most Immortals, seeing how he not only didn't spot it himself, he seems downright aghast that someone could even think that circuitously.

3. - Top - End - #1113
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    Yeah, I think this page is there mostly to show that Voltaire is not off his rocker, and is a more logical thinker than most Immortals, seeing how he not only didn't spot it himself, he seems downright aghast that someone could even think that circuitously.
    Voltaire not off his rocker?

Are you mad, or just being sarcastic?

He's a liar, and nutty as a fruitcake with it, he just lies about that.
    Last edited by halfeye; 2016-09-26 at 10:29 AM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

4. - Top - End - #1114
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

To be honest, all the immortals we've seen have seemed at least a little insane. Pandora's just more crazy than most.
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

5. - Top - End - #1115

Well, the way their laws are built actually seem to me like an invitation to going crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

6. - Top - End - #1116
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

You know, the way Voltaire responds in this page, it makes me wonder- Is he actually opposed to Pandora? He seems bitter enough that I wonder if he's trying to cause big enough changes that he could push for a new agreement between immortals.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

7. - Top - End - #1117
    Barbarian in the Playground

Voltaire, no, while Elliot is safe from you, it's for a completely different reason. Namely that Pandora is going to murder you to actual death for doing what you already did. So... Congratulations on achieving irrelevance...
    My avatar used to be a W.S.D. (Weapon of Sanity Destruction)
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    After reading the Dominic Deagen forum threads, can you really accuse me of bashing? Read it again. That is the kind of thing that is pure venom. They don't even take it seriously anymore. It's just done for fun.

8. - Top - End - #1118
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

I always thought that Pandora was the one behind Dex. Now that she isn't behind that, does propably mean, that she isn't as evil as I thought. Okay, wanting to mind**** with Mr. Terres and make him a murderer to get revenge on Arthur was pretty messed up, but she propably isn't planning anything really evil to reveal magic.

9. - Top - End - #1119
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AGD View Post
    I always thought that Pandora was the one behind Dex.
    She is still the immortal that marked Dex without his consent. Not to mention everyone else she marked without their consent, including of course Rhoda, who almost got herself killed because of it. "Sure, you're a serial molester, but at least you aren't also an attempted murderer, except the time when you were" is not much of a downgrade of evil.

GW
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

10. - Top - End - #1120

Griffon

She is still the immortal that marked Dex without his consent. Not to mention everyone else she marked without their consent, including of course Rhoda, who almost got herself killed because of it. "Sure, you're a serial molester, but at least you aren't also an attempted murderer, except the time when you were" is not much of a downgrade of evil.

GW
    Um, didn't subconsciously using her powers actually save Rhoda's life? The boar was about to charge at her but got confused when it grew and she was able to run and climb a tree.

Not to say that I don't believe that Pandora is a very much immoral person, who wouldn't hesitate to kill if she had reason. But I don't think she has tried to end or cause direct harm to anyone else but Abraham and Magus in the comic so far.

Is randomly giving people magic without asking them first evil? I don't know, it's actually quite common within the fantasy genre. Of course, Pandora's reason is not a noble quest to select chosen ones to save the world... or perhaps, in a way, it could be from her perspective. Then again she is most certainly has several screws loose.
    Last edited by CWater; 2016-09-27 at 11:58 PM.
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

11. - Top - End - #1121
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I always thought that Pandora was the one behind Dex. Now that she isn't behind that, does propably mean, that she isn't as evil as I thought. Okay, wanting to mind**** with Mr. Terres and make him a murderer to get revenge on Arthur was pretty messed up, but she propably isn't planning anything really evil to reveal magic.
    She might have marked Dex, then Voltaire decided to hijack the mark for his own designs in a "two can play that game" manner.

12. - Top - End - #1122
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

It's probably a two-person situation.

1) Pandora gives him a summon-based mark. (Possibly because of innate affinity, almost certainly tied to his loneliness - all known marks have been tied to nature of their owners).
    2) Voltaire sends him an amulet (with a Pandora-implicating amphora inscribed on it). This amulet supercharges Dex and makes him amenable to guidance.
    3) Voltaire guides Dex's supercharged summoning to create fake fire elementals and dragons with the intent to draw the attention of and execute Elliot.
    4) Noah removes the amulet, Dex is down to his default summon (fairy girl) and free of Voltaire's influence.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

13. - Top - End - #1123
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Felius View Post
    Voltaire, no, while Elliot is safe from you, it's for a completely different reason. Namely that Pandora is going to murder you to actual death for doing what you already did. So... Congratulations on achieving irrelevance...
    I think you are gloating far too early. Don't forget that Voltaire had the private detective tell the abomination that Elliot was vulnerable. That seems to be an additional attempt by Voltaire for there to be an attack on Elliot where Voltaire's part in it is already done.

I think that technically Voltaire could have already broken his vow, at least if he expects the abomination to kill Elliot. If so, and if he is trying to get people around Elliot to lower their defenses, then would still acting to get Elliot killed. His clarification of his vow occurred after he had already vowed once, so the clarification should have been a violation of his first vow, shouldn't it? OTOH, if he's just acting so that he doesn't get blamed when the abomination does something, then it wouldn't be a violation. It also wouldn't be a violation if he doesn't think that the abomination could kill Elliot. That's probably the most likely case, IMO.

14. - Top - End - #1124
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eschmenk View Post
    I think you are gloating far too early. Don't forget that Voltaire had the private detective tell the abomination that Elliot was vulnerable. That seems to be an additional attempt by Voltaire for there to be an attack on Elliot where Voltaire's part in it is already done.

I think that technically Voltaire could have already broken his vow, at least if he expects the abomination to kill Elliot. If so, and if he is trying to get people around Elliot to lower their defenses, then would still acting to get Elliot killed. His clarification of his vow occurred after he had already vowed once, so the clarification should have been a violation of his first vow, shouldn't it? OTOH, if he's just acting so that he doesn't get blamed when the abomination does something, then it wouldn't be a violation. It also wouldn't be a violation if he doesn't think that the abomination could kill Elliot. That's probably the most likely case, IMO.
    But that was a lie. The immortals watching Elliot won't be distracted by an attack on Raven. Well, not necessarily anyways. I'm not sure what Voltaire is hoping for, but I think he's trying to prevent Magnus from being 'born'. So this may be a play to kill Sirlock so that Magnus has no support in the mortal world anymore.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

15. - Top - End - #1125
    Bugbear in the Playground

Rhoda didn't almost get killed because of her mark. She almost got killed because she was wandering around unarmed and helpless in a wild boar's territory. Rhoda's mark saved her, albeit rather counterintuitively.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

16. - Top - End - #1126

Quote Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
    Rhoda didn't almost get killed because of her mark. She almost got killed because she was wandering around unarmed and helpless in a wild boar's territory. Rhoda's mark saved her, albeit rather counterintuitively.
    Which is actually pretty weird, I have often been in wild boar territory, alone and unarmed, and never been attacked. We have a lot of boars around, and I only know of two circumstances in which they were dangerous: once a probably sick boar attacked a person in his garden and then also attacked the forest guard who came to put it down, and then boars are quite aggressive towards cyclists, so there can occasionally be a hog running after a bike. Otherwise, they rather avoid humans, and come during the night to places where there are humans during the day to dig for truffles.

Rhoda was incredibly unlucky, for that one boar to be aggressive to her.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

17. - Top - End - #1127
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    But that was a lie. The immortals watching Elliot won't be distracted by an attack on Raven. Well, not necessarily anyways. I'm not sure what Voltaire is hoping for, but I think he's trying to prevent Magnus from being 'born'. So this may be a play to kill Sirlock so that Magnus has no support in the mortal world anymore.
    Yes, of course it was a lie, but it's a lie that may have put Elliot in danger and could conceivably result in his death. As I said, I don't think it's likely, but it's still plausible that it was meant as another attempt at Elliot's life. Voltaire could have already arranged for some distraction for the two forgetful immortals that we don't know about yet or may be planning a distraction that he has rationalized won't count as an attempt on Elliot. Or maybe he thinks Sirlock was overestimating the capabilities of the two forgetful immortals and thinks they won't be able to stop Sirlock even if they aren't distracted. He did tip off Sirlock about Mr. Raven being a son of an immortal, and that might have been intended to allow Sirlock to distract Pandora, who probably would have been the most formidable eternal Sirlock could run into. Even if not, at the very least, I think Voltaire was up to something underhanded during his recent visit.

Voltaire's goal for operation CM (complicated mess) is apparently unchanged from what it was for Plan A (Plan A = killing Elliot via Dex or the griffon). It's hard to see how Plan A would have had anything to do with Magnus Sirlock. I don't know what else it would be, though. Edit: OK, upon rereading old stuff, I was reminded that Magnus wanted Ellen to try to zap Elliot, and she wouldn't try that if Elliot was dead, but that has nothing to do with Sirlock. So unless the overall goal was just "Inconvenience Magnus somehow, but it doesn't matter how," it wouldn't be the same goal. And that would be a really weird goal, if it was that.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-09-28 at 08:25 PM.

18. - Top - End - #1128
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, of course it was a lie, but it's a lie that may have put Elliot in danger and could conceivably result in his death. As I said, I don't think it's likely, but it's still plausible that it was meant as another attempt at Elliot's life. Voltaire could have already arranged for some distraction for the two forgetful immortals that we don't know about yet or may be planning a distraction that he has rationalized won't count as an attempt on Elliot. Or maybe he thinks Sirlock was overestimating the capabilities of the two forgetful immortals and thinks they won't be able to stop Sirlock even if they aren't distracted. He did tip off Sirlock about Mr. Raven being a son of an immortal, and that might have been intended to allow Sirlock to distract Pandora, who probably would have been the most formidable eternal Sirlock could run into. Even if not, at the very least, I think Voltaire was up to something underhanded during his recent visit.

Voltaire's goal for operation CM (complicated mess) is apparently unchanged from what it was for Plan A (Plan A = killing Elliot via Dex or the griffon). It's hard to see how Plan A would have had anything to do with Magnus Sirlock. I don't know what else it would be, though. Edit: OK, upon rereading old stuff, I was reminded that Magnus wanted Ellen to try to zap Elliot, and she wouldn't try that if Elliot was dead, but that has nothing to do with Sirlock. So unless the overall goal was just "Inconvenience Magnus somehow, but it doesn't matter how," it wouldn't be the same goal. And that would be a really weird goal, if it was that.
    We know Magnus's plan depends on Sirlock. Which, actually might be the problem. It's been hinted that Sirlock is planning on double crossing Magnus, and stealing his new body for his own. Which might give Sirlock access to all of Magnus' abilities (maybe). That would be the sort of bad thing that an immortal would kill to prevent.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

19. - Top - End - #1129
    Pixie in the Playground

Grace: I'm on Sarah.

Yeah, I've read that fan-fic...

20. - Top - End - #1130
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I know this will likely come out messily (especially if Sarah's new ability is kept secret from Verres for a DRAMATIC REVEAL!), but I personally hope that while this messy situation will be dangerous, this will be different in that the core group can pitch together and sort it out. In terms of arcs, I see this as something of a middle of a story, where the heroes are starting to come into their own. So while they will make mistakes, they are still a lot more competent then earlier stories.

My concern is that there is the potential for the current secret keeping to blow up in their face and prove Mr. Verres right (as well as being a huge blow). I hope that it comes off as a happy middle.

21. - Top - End - #1131
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Spoiler: new comic
    Show
    I hope Sarah does awaken through doing this.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

22. - Top - End - #1132
    Barbarian in the Playground

Okay, so in universe predicted time until the problem is solved is one week. What will that be in real life time? An year? Two?
    My avatar used to be a W.S.D. (Weapon of Sanity Destruction)
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    Quote Originally Posted by tomaO2 View Post
    After reading the Dominic Deagen forum threads, can you really accuse me of bashing? Read it again. That is the kind of thing that is pure venom. They don't even take it seriously anymore. It's just done for fun.

23. - Top - End - #1133

Probably longer, we still have a couple of dates in the meantime.

24. - Top - End - #1134
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Probably longer, we still have a couple of dates in the meantime.
    If there's one thing Dan is yet to learn, it's brevity. I tend to get the feeling that he overthinks what the audience needs to know- as indicated in many of the commentaries. He'll think, 'what if the audience wonders about this?', and then write an entire strip to alleviate that one possible question, and then spin off that question, until we have four strips of discussing the possible loopholes in an oath that doesn't actually matter. If the strip would spend a little less time explaining and a little more time doing, we wouldn't have to wait a year for an afternoon to pass.
    Hazama avatar by me. Other avatars that I've made:
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

25. - Top - End - #1135
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

I sometimes wish that Dan had an editor, since I would think a sounding board would really help him out with sorting out what to write.

26. - Top - End - #1136
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mith View Post
    I sometimes wish that Dan had an editor, since I would think a sounding board would really help him out with sorting out what to write.
    I think a good editor would be a massive help. Someone with a good eye for what's necessary could cut out the chaff and keep the good ideas.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1137
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Felius View Post
    Okay, so in universe predicted time until the problem is solved is one week. What will that be in real life time? An year? Two?
    The thing is that Dan is aware of the problem, but hasn't found the solution. Actually, as he pointed out, one day in comic took about one year and four months, so a week lasting only a year or two might be wildly optimistic. (I think this is yet another example of an attempt at hyperbole falling short around here.)

Dan said that he was going to try to plan better, but he still seems to be having trouble with his planning. On top of that, I agree that having an editor, or at least test readers, might help. Dan's problem isn't just that he over-explains things. Sometimes he under-explains one thing while over-explaining other things, then he has to do retroactive damage control, then he over-compensates to try to keep it from happening again. He really seems to need help in understanding how readers would understand the comic, which is probably a fairly tricky skill to develop.

But, of course, there is a trade-off. If he spent more time story-boarding and revising and tightening, it would probably help his quality, but hurt his output. At a minimum, he would probably have to drop the EGS:NP stuff.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2016-10-15 at 04:56 PM.

28. - Top - End - #1138

Does anyone else think that the rampaging monster that killed Pandora's husband might have been the original one for which the diamond was created?

29. - Top - End - #1139
    Ogre in the Playground

But, of course, there is a trade-off. If he spent more time story-boarding and revising and tightening, it would probably help his quality, but hurt his output. At a minimum, he would probably have to drop the EGS:NP stuff.
    I'm not aware of the exact situation around Patreon and the NP comics (though I assume they're part of the promises made to backers?), but I would be just fine with dropping EGS:NP. It's either rambling explanations, elements that should be in the main comic in the first place, or vignettes of characters I can't really bring myself to care about (I'm finding the current Catalina and Rhoda story less than interesting). It's occasionally funny, but I'd happily lose that for a better thought-out main story. Is this drawn-out explanation of a throwaway gag really as important as a coherent story for the part that actually matters? I tend to think not.
    Last edited by Professor Gnoll; 2016-10-15 at 05:57 PM.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #1140
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Does anyone else think that the rampaging monster that killed Pandora's husband might have been the original one for which the diamond was created?
    Should I tweet this at Dan to see if this becomes at least retroactive Cannon?