New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default How the World and Man came into being

This idea popped into my head a little while ago and thought people here would enjoy it. I don't know how original it is, if it all, but it was fun to write. Tell me when you think:

The four elements, Wind, Water, Earth, and Fire were having an argument between each other. They wanted to know who was the most powerful of all the elements. It became a competition who could create the grandest of creations. Earth began by making the world, a barren rock floating in space. “See this immense creation! Certainly I am the strongest” he exclaimed. Water scoffed and flooded the world, coating it entirely. “See, I am the strongest for I encase you. You are forever within my grip.” Wind howled, whirling around the globe, shifting the water at its whims. “I dictate your movements, so I am the strongest. Without me you would be still and lifeless.” Fire roared and burned within the planet, erupting volcanoes and spewing earth across the world. “I am the strongest! I am the life of this world, shaker of all!”

The elements still could not agree on who was the strongest. Water, the wisest of the four came up with a solution “We should make life. The one who contributed the most will be the strongest.” They all agreed and began their work. Earth sculpted the body of Man, giving it form and strength. Water flowed into the Man, giving him blood and motion. Wind filled the lungs of Man, giving him breath and life. The three looked upon Fire and laughed. “What can you create brother? You can only consume and destroy. Why we three may be equal, you are certainly the least of us all.” Fire burned low in contemplation, ignoring his sibling’s taunts. He moved up to Man and placed a single spark of himself deep inside. “I have given Man a soul, a reason to be. Without that, he would be nothing but an animal.” Fire’s three siblings could not respond. Since then, Man has venerated Fire above all else, for Fire is the driving force within all of Man.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post

DM says: WHY!? WHY!? WHY?!
    DM means: NO! NO! NO!!!
    Player hears: GOOD JOB PLAYER! DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: How the World and Man came into being

I try to create different religions in my worlds with differing, and usually mutually exclusive mythologies. As such I try to have as many varied origin stories as I can. So I'm telling you now I'm stealing this one, it's excellent for a culture I've been working on.

3. - Top - End - #3

ClericGuy

Feel free, glad you enjoyed it

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomePirate

I really like the story.

The fun thing, though, is that you could probably write this for all four elements:

While water, wind and fire all filled man with fleeing passions and emotions, earth was the only one who could give it stability in its thoughts, thereby enabling it to be the most wise and intelligent of creatures. Therefore, while humans always battle the other elements, they love the earth.

While wind, fire and earth all gave man ambitions and wishes, water is the only one who can respond, the only one dynamic enough to rise and fall, who learned humans to adapt rather than perish. Therefore, while humans use the other elements and try to control them, the only one they respect is water.

While fire, earth and water might have contributed more to the building of man, they forgot that by doing this, they had to give humans a familiarity with their elements. And so, when man was done, it was wind who said "Right, you three might have contributed the most, but see: man sails on the oceans. He farms on the earth. He can use fire with the flick of his hand. But air is the only one untouched by humans. So maybe they are your childs, but I am their true master".

This is not meant as critique! For me, the fact that it seems kind of arbitrary even supports your story. It's an characteristic of pretty much all mythology, I think.
    Last edited by Murk; 2015-04-29 at 10:31 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5

ClericGuy

I hadn't thought of it that way but I really like it. It gives me ways to have factions in humanity, worshiping different elements in lieu of others. So thanks!